PDA

View Full Version : Keystone Cougar 22RBS anti slam entry door adjustment?

Steveo57
02-14-2018, 09:20 AM
Our new trailer has the anti slam entry door and it seems to require a little more effort than I would like to open and close it. Is there a way to adjust the door so it swings easier?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

garand41
02-14-2018, 11:45 AM
I'd like to loosen mine up also. I tried some silicone spray on the hinges, but it didn't help. Someone on here said their's had set screws, but, mine don't. Hope someone can help us both. Mine are so tight they move the jamb as the door is moved. That can't be good!

Canonman
02-14-2018, 04:39 PM
I believe you're referring to the gas struts that hold the entry door open. They come in different ratings, 100lb, 80lb, etc. You can buy new struts with a lower rating for around $30. http://www.rvpartscountry.com/GasSpringsStruts
Or you can wait until wear and tear softens them up:)
Apologizes if I've misunderstood the question.

chuckster57
02-14-2018, 08:04 PM
I haven’t heard them called “anti slam”, but I think the OP is referring to what’s known as friction hinges. Some seem stiffer than others, don’t know how to soften them up, sorry.

Steveo57
02-14-2018, 09:33 PM
I believe you're referring to the gas struts that hold the entry door open. They come in different ratings, 100lb, 80lb, etc. You can buy new struts with a lower rating for around $30. http://www.rvpartscountry.com/GasSpringsStruts
Or you can wait until wear and tear softens them up:)
Apologizes if I've misunderstood the question.No there's no struts. It's just the hinges that keep the door from slamming open or closed in a breeze. I looked closely at the door and don't see any obvious way to adjust anything. Maybe it just takes a little time to loosen up.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ctbruce
02-15-2018, 03:57 AM
Do a search on the forum for "friction hinge" three threads will come up. Here is the first one: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31353

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

flybouy
02-15-2018, 05:21 AM
Our new trailer has the anti slam entry door and it seems to require a little more effort than I would like to open and close it. Is there a way to adjust the door so it swings easier?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Take some children camping with you. If it's very hot and humid outside will help as your desperately trying to keep the interior cool. :banghead::banghead:Trust me, the young ones will have those hinges loosed up if not worn out in no time!:)

jsmith948
02-15-2018, 05:39 AM
At first, we didn't really like the friction hinge feature - wasn't a deal beaker by any means, but not something we would have ordered. Now, we actually like the feature. The door stays wherever you place it. All the way open - half way open - wherever. It's a little harder to open and close, but a good trade-off.

Steveo57
02-15-2018, 06:26 AM
Thanks to those who identified the culprit as a friction hinge. I now see many topics on the friction hinge but none that have a solution to how it can be adjusted. I did get a few ideas to try though.

garand41
02-15-2018, 07:26 AM
Yes, they are non adjustable friction hinges on mine, and are riveted on to the door and jamb.

Steveo57
03-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Well I tried lubrication on the hinges, and they've been getting a good workout. Seems to be getting easier now. Guess as they get more use and the weather warms up maybe they will get even easier.