PDA

View Full Version : First trailer and some basic questions

Whitney2004
02-13-2018, 06:56 AM
Hello-I purchased a 2004 keystone cougar 290efs to live in while building my house. I paid somebody to deliver it because I only have a half ton truck and have no way to move it. I don’t know anything about travel trailers and have some basic setup questions. Prob going to seem pretty dumb but I gotta learn somehow. So here it goes........

How do I level it? It slopes from back to front and slide out side to door side.

tlr6334
02-13-2018, 07:13 AM
Hello-I purchased a 2004 keystone cougar 290efs to live in while building my house. I paid somebody to deliver it because I only have a half ton truck and have no way to move it. I don’t know anything about travel trailers and have some basic setup questions. Prob going to seem pretty dumb but I gotta learn somehow. So here it goes........

How do I level it? It slopes from back to front and slide out side to door side.Put u some boards under the wheels to raise the rv. On the door side add some more boards. Make sure to chock wheels and put down stabilzer jacks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

66joej
02-13-2018, 07:18 AM
Congratulations on the new to you 5er.
The front to back can be leveled with the landing legs.
The side to side can be leveled with a hydraulic jack under the axle at the spring perches. Place appropriate size wood planks under the tires. Of course chock the tires.

Whitney2004
02-13-2018, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the replies. Can I operate the landing jacks while the trailer is unhooked from a truck?

ken56
02-13-2018, 08:02 AM
You need to level side to side first then do front to back. If you can find a helpful person who has a 5er with a hitch in his truck ask for help otherwise you will have to jack up the door side to put boards under the wheels. Is the ground fairly stable where it is parked? Are you sure your rig does not already have leveling jacks on it? Read your manuals too to help understand the systems.

Yes the jacks operate on the trailers 12 volt battery. Are you able plug into power while you are building? You will have to have a means to keep the battery charged if not.

Whitney2004
02-13-2018, 08:17 AM
You need to level side to side first then do front to back. If you can find a helpful person who has a 5er with a hitch in his truck ask for help otherwise you will have to jack up the door side to put boards under the wheels. Is the ground fairly stable where it is parked? Are you sure your rig does not already have leveling jacks on it? Read your manuals too to help understand the systems.

Yes the jacks operate on the trailers 12 volt battery. Are you able plug into power while you are building? You will have to have a means to keep the battery charged if not.

Yes the ground is pretty stable. I’m not sure about if it has leveling jacks. I’m heading out there after work today and going to check. If so, are you saying I can use the leveling jacks on the door side to jack the trailer up high enough to put boards under the tires? Which would level it side to side.

And then mess with the landing jacks to get it level front to back?
I do have electricity out there.

Dhuhn
02-13-2018, 08:42 AM
From the picture of your rig I’m sure you dont have leveling jacks,the jacks in the back are stablizer jacks not used to jack your rig up. The only one that lift the 5er is the front jacks. You need to level side to side first by putting blocks under tires that are on low side. Then use front jacks to level front to back.
You should find a friend who has a 5th wheel hitch to level you side to side so you can drive the wheels up on the blocks. If you use jacks to jack up be careful not to bend any of your axels

CWtheMan
02-13-2018, 10:07 PM
Here's link to a generic 2005 Keystone owner's manual. I should come in handy if there wasn't one in the trailer. (They don't have one on their site for year 2004).

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/2150263/keystone_owners_manual-revision_9-1-05.pdf

notanlines
02-14-2018, 02:01 AM
Whitney, welcome to the forum. You'll know all about this beast before your time is up and you move into the house! There is pretty much all the info you might need here, just do as you have and keep asking. What has been answered so far is on the money. When jacking on the axles, put the jack where the springs are attached to the axles, not on the axle itself. One wheel at a time with a board under each until it is level side to side. And as was mentioned, chocks are important.

ctbruce
02-14-2018, 03:25 AM
Boards use something substantial. 2x10 or 2x12. At least a foot long. Be sure to chock the wheels, front and back, on the side you don't raise. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chief Mole
02-18-2018, 05:37 PM
Welcome from South Carolina. :camping: