PDA

View Full Version : Small Generator charts

Tinner12002
02-12-2018, 09:48 AM
I got my March issue of Trailer Life today and it has a great comparison chart for most if not all of the small inverter generators. I'll post pics, hope everyone can read them ok. Tried to upload in order from top to bottom on the page.

Skiho3020
02-14-2018, 12:08 PM
I saw that as well last night. I am going to need a generator this summer when we go to my sons waterski tournaments. I am pretty much sold on the quiet one from Harbor Freight. Really good feedback. Honda is out of the ballpark. Anyone out there have experience with the Predator 3500?

I am concerned about the air conditioner. I have two but won't run both. Is there something I need to buy to get the A/C's to start slowly? I need to do more reading but I thought I read there was something to add to the AC to help it start slower.

mfifield01
02-14-2018, 12:36 PM
I have a Champion 2800/3100w inverter generator. It will start my 15k AC.

B-O-B'03
02-14-2018, 12:56 PM
I have a Champion 2800/3100w inverter generator. It will start my 15k AC.

+1

Very reliable unit, going on our 4th season with it, starts 1st pull 95+% of the time, never more than 2.

I have seen the version I have for ~$600.00.

-Brian

Hodgy
02-14-2018, 02:23 PM
I am concerned about the air conditioner. I have two but won't run both. Is there something I need to buy to get the A/C's to start slowly? I need to do more reading but I thought I read there was something to add to the AC to help it start slower.

There are "soft start" modules that supposedly reduce the LRA up to 60% and allows for a smaller generator install. Here is the one that my generator forum recommends. There are probably lot of others out there and there is probably a member on here who does HVAC who can chime in.

https://www.zillerelectric.com/collections/sure-start-modules

230V, 1 phase, 60/50Hz
Fits motors and A/C compressors between 8-16 FLA
Significantly reduces LRA motor start current to allow for smaller generator installation.

This product has been developed specifically to soft start large single phase A/C compressors and motors. It provides a dramatic reduction (up to 60%) in the starting current but still provides full start torque. It will automatically adjust itself to provide the best starting. It is fully self-contained in a conveniently small, double insulated and flame retardant enclosure.

Rolling Along
02-14-2018, 04:52 PM
https://www.microair.net/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners?variant=30176048267

nellie1289
02-14-2018, 04:57 PM
+1

Very reliable unit, going on our 4th season with it, starts 1st pull 95+% of the time, never more than 2.

I have seen the version I have for ~$600.00.

-Brian

+2 Great unit. ran 40 straight hours powering my 13500 btu ac and everything else in 100 degree temps. Very happy.

Famof6
02-28-2018, 03:22 PM
I saw that as well last night. I am going to need a generator this summer when we go to my sons waterski tournaments. I am pretty much sold on the quiet one from Harbor Freight. Really good feedback. Honda is out of the ballpark. Anyone out there have experience with the Predator 3500?

I just picked up one over the weekend. I set it up and changed the oil after the first hour or so. The oil was clean but has the metalic particles that you always get from small engines with no oil filter. I recommend doing the same.

It’s a nice quiet unit and it’s lighter than many in its power class. I’m happy with my purchase so far.

Good luck!

TheGriz
02-28-2018, 04:49 PM
I too have the Predator 3500. Runs my whole TT no problem, which includes 15K BTU A/C. Very quite!!! $659 on sale from HF.