PDA

View Full Version : Sanitizing Freshwater Tank

sparky01
02-08-2018, 05:11 PM
I want to sanitize my fresh water tank at home and have a question. Can I just hook up a standard garden hose to my house and sanitize/flush the tank with bleach before a camping trip? Since the bleach is diluted would dumping the water out on my street be irresponsible?

Thank you

JRTJH
02-08-2018, 05:27 PM
Yup. There's a current thread discussing that exact process. You can read about it here: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31782

There are also a number of other threads, many that ask the same question and give specific answers. You can do a search using the search tab in the black bar found at the top of every forum page. Good Luck and happy searching.

TheGriz
02-08-2018, 07:29 PM
Since the bleach is diluted would dumping the water out on my street be irresponsible?

Thank you

:popcorn:Interesting question:popcorn:

Added: I'm thinking that a cup or so of household bleach diluted in 40+ gallons of water is not going to harm lawn, asphalt, or do any harm going into the street's storm drains. I guess it might tick off a few nightwalkers in the lawn that are close to the discharge point!

sourdough
02-08-2018, 07:47 PM
I don't use my fresh water tank very often but I do leave it about 1/3 full for traveling uses. I drain it about twice a year and then put bleach in it, take it around the block to mix it, let it sit overnight then drain on our property. Rinse it out a couple of times and away we go for the next go round.

Tinner12002
02-09-2018, 03:32 AM
:popcorn:Interesting question:popcorn:

Added: I'm thinking that a cup or so of household bleach diluted in 40+ gallons of water is not going to harm lawn, asphalt, or do any harm going into the street's storm drains. I guess it might tick off a few nightwalkers in the lawn that are close to the discharge point!

I've always drained mine into the street, the drains are about a house length away, never had anyone complain.

Drained fresh water one time as we left a track, stopped for breakfast and sheriff came in looking for us, wanted to know why we were dumping our tanks in the street...well I had to educate him on how RV tanks are setup...lol! All was good.

sparky01
02-09-2018, 05:02 AM
Do I need a water pressure regulator to hook up to my house water hose spigot? I have a 60 gallon freshwater tank how much bleach should I add? Since I will only be using the hose for sanitizing the tank I shouldn't have to buy a potable water hose correct?

jsmith948
02-09-2018, 05:49 AM
I use 1/4 cup of bleach for each 15 gals of tank capacity. Why not just use the potable water hose that you use when connecting to the campground water supply

sparky01
02-09-2018, 05:52 AM
I use 1/4 cup of bleach for each 15 gals of tank capacity. Why not just use the potable water hose that you use when connecting to the campground water supply

I'm just being cheap we have only dry-camped so far so I don't have a potable water hose :D

chuckster57
02-09-2018, 06:55 AM
On the subject of hoses,

For as long as I can remember we used regular garden hoses. I drank out of them (still do) without any ill effects that I’m aware of. Now I’m being told it may cause harm? I did buy “drinking water safe” hoses last year because I get a discount on parts. Regular hose is for the rinser...

JRTJH
02-09-2018, 07:09 AM
You don't need a pressure regulator to fill the fresh water tank from a gravity fill port. You might want to consider a pressure regulator for use on a "valve controlled city water/tank fill" valving system. You don't indicate what pressure your "home system" has, if you're on a private well, you're probably safe without a regulator (40-60 PSI), if you're on a "city water system" you'd need to know the pressure to make that determination. I'd urge a pressure regulator with any water system that's above about 50 PSI and I'd also urge using a regulator on ALL campground systems. With the number of campers connected to the system, the pressure may rise by 20-30 PSI at times when water use is low. Some are well over 100 PSI (Marquette Tourist Park) all the time and can rise above 125 PSI in the middle of the night.

As for hoses, a "cheap, dollar store vinyl hose" is going to be adequate. You may object to the aftertaste of the vinyl or you may not. The only concern I'd have is whether the cheap hose will stand up to the pressure without bursting. Often a hose that's connected to a RV and a water source (when the water in the trailer is turned off) becomes a "balloon" that grows bigger in the sun. Sunlight (in hot areas like Texas and Louisiana) can be brutal. The vinyl hose will become soft, pressure will rise in the hose and you may find a "fountain" outside your RV on a hot afternoon. With a pressure regulator and a reinforced hose designed for drinking water, you eliminate much of that problem. But, that's just one view on hoses, there are as many differing views as there are brands of hoses at the Dollar Store, Lowe's and HD.

travelin texans
02-09-2018, 08:18 AM
I would also recommend a "regulator", not the cheapo "restrictor" they give away with new rvs or sell at Wal-Mart. If the parks you frequent have 100-125 psi that cheap little restrictor can't control that much. A good adjustable regulator with a gauge is your best bet. Pex piping in rvs is rated at 100+ psi, but the plastic fittiings they use to connect them I'm not real confident in.

ChuckS
02-09-2018, 08:36 AM
Dumping the water out of your tank in the street after doing a sanitization procedure will not harm a thing.. be sure when you sanitize to run the fresh water pump and get that chlorinated water ran thru all the lines, open hot and cold water taps and run each a couple of m8nutes to purge out existing water and replace with chlorinated water.. then let it set.. drain and flush out after a day or so and your fine...

KSH
02-10-2018, 12:02 PM
I would also recommend a "regulator", not the cheapo "restrictor" they give away with new rvs or sell at Wal-Mart. If the parks you frequent have 100-125 psi that cheap little restrictor can't control that much. A good adjustable regulator with a gauge is your best bet. Pex piping in rvs is rated at 100+ psi, but the plastic fittiings they use to connect them I'm not real confident in.What regulator do you recommend?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

travelin texans
02-10-2018, 03:41 PM
Got mine at a home improvement store, it's a 3/4" Watts household regulator& added hose fittings to either end.
You can find them at most rv stores with the gauge for about $50-60, they are usually preset at 55psi which a good pressure provided the park has that high.
I always hook mine up at the park faucet whether I need it or not, sort lime my surge protector, if there's power hooked up so is the surge protector.

Forrest
02-11-2018, 02:09 PM
I flush my tank prior to taking it on the road each year. I do so by adding about 15 gal of water and adding about a 1/4 cup of bleach. I then drive it around block to mix it up. I then use my pump and flush out the water tubes and faucets with the mixture. I then drain the tank and refill it with fresh water. Turn the pump on and then flush out the water pipes with fresh water. Drain the tank a second time and refill with about 10 gallons of fresh water. I don't worry about a regulator when filling the tank.

JRTJH
02-11-2018, 02:39 PM
What regulator do you recommend?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

This is the one I bought. It's a replacement for one that lasted about 10 years before I dropped it and broke it. Anyway, it's about $40 and works great.
https://www.amazon.com/Renator-M11-0660R-Regulator-Lead-free-Adjustable/dp/B01N7JZTYX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518413504&sr=8-1&keywords=renator+m11-0660r+water+pressure+regulator

Yes, that's a bubble in the gauge. It's oil filled.

sourdough
02-11-2018, 04:02 PM
I recently ordered a new water pressure regulator to replace my old one. Here is a note I received from the maker after I had received it; it was pretty impressive to me.

"Dear Danny,
Thank you for purchasing our new Water Pressure Regulator with a Gauge. This is a new product, and we want to be sure that our customers are pleased with their purchase. Has it met your expectations? Do you have any further questions? Our customer support is here to help you with any issues, and we would love to hear from you. We work hard to make the customer happy! Feel free to contact us by responding to this email so we can alleviate any concerns, or improve our product in the future.

As a small company based in Cleveland, Ohio we rely on customer feedback to help us do our jobs better. Product reviews help us meet your needs, and are an important part of the shopping experience for everyone on Amazon. They help level the playing field between small, Midwestern companies like us, and giant box store competitors.
Please select which of the following pertains to you: "

The unit is solid and works great. I've been very pleased and the customer support from the company was unexpected. Here's the link to the regulator;

https://www.joyfay.com/catalog/product/view/id/53451?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1uOL9oif2QIVkzqBCh0U8ADUEA QYAiABEgIWGfD_BwE

The link is to another site that carries the regulator. Amazon was about $4 cheaper....and free shipping. The Amazon link kept putting all my acct. info on it.

WNY Bullet
02-12-2018, 02:45 AM
Do I need a water pressure regulator to hook up to my house water hose spigot? I have a 60 gallon freshwater tank how much bleach should I add? Since I will only be using the hose for sanitizing the tank I shouldn't have to buy a potable water hose correct?

You do not need a regulator to fill the fresh tank. You would use one if you hookup to the City Water port which bypasses your Fresh Tank. Also I would recommend to use a potable water hose for either connection to keep that garden hose taste out of your water supply.

Maineiacs
01-11-2020, 03:38 PM
Just wondering - I'll need to sanitize the tank this spring. I do not have easy access to the water pump itself. Only to the hose connection which can be switched from tank fill to city water supply.

How do you introduce bleach into the tank without access to the suction side of the pump? Trickle feed it into the port?

JRTJH
01-11-2020, 06:53 PM
Just wondering - I'll need to sanitize the tank this spring. I do not have easy access to the water pump itself. Only to the hose connection which can be switched from tank fill to city water supply.

How do you introduce bleach into the tank without access to the suction side of the pump? Trickle feed it into the port?

One easy way is to fill your city water hose with Clorox, connect it to the faucet and fill your tank with the "city water fill" valve. A 25 foot 5/8" hose will hold about 3 cups of Clorox. Disconnect both ends of the empty hose, use a funnel and slowly pour the Clorox into the hose, connect the trailer end, then the faucet end. Remember to hold the ends higher than the hose or your Clorox will spill out of the hose.

sourdough
01-11-2020, 08:37 PM
One easy way is to fill your city water hose with Clorox, connect it to the faucet and fill your tank with the "city water fill" valve. A 25 foot 5/8" hose will hold about 3 cups of Clorox. Disconnect both ends of the empty hose, use a funnel and slowly pour the Clorox into the hose, connect the trailer end, then the faucet end. Remember to hold the ends higher than the hose or your Clorox will spill out of the hose.

Always remember that you are dealing with bleach. I always think I'm "smarter" and "better" than the process. I have a little wardrobe corner with splotched t shirts and jeans (2 new pair) because my assessments of what's going to happen is wrong.:D I just have to remember to find those "soiled" garments before I go at it....and I just can't seem to.

Maineiacs
01-12-2020, 01:21 PM
Just ordered a 3 foot 5/8 hose from amazon. With a small funnel, I'll try and avoid the white stains!

Thanks for the suggestions.

uechikid
01-16-2020, 01:15 PM
This is all new to me too. Thanks for the tips.