PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Keystone cougar 32rli grey tank valve

Jared32rli
02-07-2018, 10:17 PM
Traded in my jayco jay flight 24FBS lad week for a 2018 cougar 32rli... love the upgrade but I can't find the valve for grey tank one...

On the side of the trailer there's 3 stickers one says black tank and two say grey tank and there all next to each other... I have two pipes coming down to attach hoses to but I can only find two valve handles to pull. One I'm pretty sure is black and the other is grey 2

Anyone here with the same model that can point me in the right direction? I have rad post about by the tires on some models but I'm just not seeing anything at all?.?

DocP
02-08-2018, 02:27 AM
I have the 32RLI on order (due in on 2/28/18), so I cannot help you based on personal experience. I did, however, watch a video that says that the valve is "tucked up there" and "you do have to get down there to grab that one". Here is a link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANKaehOQDXA&t=10s

The narrator is pointing to the black and grey valves at 16:47 into the video. Hope this helps.

notanlines
02-08-2018, 03:22 AM
Keep in mind that any number of RV's only have one valve to cover both grey tanks. I also have no experience in your particular unit, but RV manufacturers don't just change things yearly, they change by the minute.

MVBrown
02-10-2018, 11:29 PM
Traded in my jayco jay flight 24FBS lad week for a 2018 cougar 32rli... love the upgrade but I can't find the valve for grey tank one...

On the side of the trailer there's 3 stickers one says black tank and two say grey tank and there all next to each other... I have two pipes coming down to attach hoses to but I can only find two valve handles to pull. One I'm pretty sure is black and the other is grey 2

Anyone here with the same model that can point me in the right direction? I have rad post about by the tires on some models but I'm just not seeing anything at all?.?
I too have a brand new 2018 32RLI that was just delivered. What Jared32rli is talking about (I believe) is not the location of the valves, but rather the fact that there are actually two (2) lines coming out of the RV for flushing. I believe that the second line is for Potable water flushing. It would make no sense (hopefully) to have to switch hoses during black and grey tank flushing. The Grey valve is close to the tank, but the Black valve is under the skirt a little higher up on the frame. The second flush (tube) is a mystery, but as I said. I believe this is for Portable water. I will follow up as soon as I find out this week.

Tinner12002
02-11-2018, 05:25 AM
Never heard of one having a gray tank flush port, only black tank flush. After looking at the video, there is only one flush connection on the left in the box, the connection on the right is for the fresh water connection, being either city water or using the tank valve above the connection, for filling the fresh water tank. The 2 lines , red and blue, you see below the RV between the 2 black drain pipes are your low point drains for hot and cold water. Before using your RV if your not sure which pull handle does what, open both valves after removing caps to get water out of your tanks, close valves and then pour a couple gal of water into the toilet, pull one valve open and see where the water comes from, then try other valve. repeat the process for shower and kitchen sink. That should tell you where everything is draining to. Had to find out the hard way on my rv after having a pipe full of fortunately only gray water come at me on my second drain pipe.

ctbruce
02-11-2018, 05:52 AM
I'm with Tinner on This one. A grey tank flush would be truly unique. I read the same posts and saw this as stickers for approximate locations of valve handles. Looking for my Orville Redenbocker's Extra Butter Paula Deen Style.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

travelin texans
02-11-2018, 09:01 AM
I believe his referral to "flushing" is actually the sewer hose connection, at least that's the way I'm reading it.
Still confused though as I never seen a fresh water drain with a sewer hose connection, talk about a mess & an accident waiting to happen. If it were me & this is the case I would not connect my sewer hose to it, but get a dedicated hose so no fresh water contamination could happen.
Not familiar with his flloorplan, but if there's a sink, kitchen, bath or shower, in the front of the rv & one in the rear, two tanks with two drains makes sense.

MVBrown
02-11-2018, 09:39 AM
Never heard of one having a gray tank flush port, only black tank flush. After looking at the video, there is only one flush connection on the left in the box, the connection on the right is for the fresh water connection, being either city water or using the tank valve above the connection, for filling the fresh water tank. The 2 lines , red and blue, you see below the RV between the 2 black drain pipes are your low point drains for hot and cold water. Before using your RV if your not sure which pull handle does what, open both valves after removing caps to get water out of your tanks, close valves and then pour a couple gal of water into the toilet, pull one valve open and see where the water comes from, then try other valve. repeat the process for shower and kitchen sink. That should tell you where everything is draining to. Had to find out the hard way on my rv after having a pipe full of fortunately only gray water come at me on my second drain pipe.
Sorry, but we are not talking about the ports (City/Potable/Black Flush). We are talking about the fact that two (2) physical 4" pipes are coming out of the underside of the RV. One handles Black and Grey Tank with associated valves (handles), but the other is just this "thing" that is there...

MVBrown
02-11-2018, 09:46 AM
I believe his referral to "flushing" is actually the sewer hose connection, at least that's the way I'm reading it.
Still confused though as I never seen a fresh water drain with a sewer hose connection, talk about a mess & an accident waiting to happen. If it were me & this is the case I would not connect my sewer hose to it, but get a dedicated hose so no fresh water contamination could happen.
Not familiar with his flloorplan, but if there's a sink, kitchen, bath or shower, in the front of the rv & one in the rear, two tanks with two drains makes sense.
Yes a mess is exactly what I was thinking as well., and Thanks to everyone on this post for the great advice and feedback. It's a little cold down here in SA today, but I'm going to run down and take some picture to post. That will get everyone on the same page.

edwprr
02-11-2018, 10:22 AM
I have a 2016 Cougar 30RLI,and I also have 2 greywater tanks,and 1 black tank.There is only 1 handle for the 2 grey tanks,and one for the black.

RickSidebottom
02-11-2018, 11:02 AM
Our 2018 Hideout 28RKS has 2 grey water tanks, the black water tank + the fresh water tank. The grey tank for the shower and the black water tank are plumbed to the same drain location and and have separate valves. The grey water tanks for the kitchen has its own drain valve and sewer connection. Yes, you have to dump twice or have a wye connection and 2 hoses. That fresh water tanks has its drain tucked up out of the way and right at the corplast bottom cover. All of the waste water drains are on the same side of the trailer.

MVBrown
02-11-2018, 12:16 PM
So I have to have a Y connector to flush the Grey water tanks? I think I'll buy a gate like I had on my Jayco 265RLS. Then I can always see if that second tank is full without having to Un-Cap a tube full of Grey water.

24vctd
02-12-2018, 10:07 PM
We had a 15 rli when we were parked for any length of time I put a short hose on each of the pipes black and gray and hooked them both to a Y valve then to a line to the sewer dump. Both grey tanks dump through one valve,yep that’s how keystone does it,you just do them like this or one at a time.it should be one hookup and two valves,black and grey.its dumb.

MVBrown
02-26-2018, 07:15 AM
Okay so this weekend was the maiden voyage of the 2018 Cougar 32RLI. What I found is that the Black tank flushes out of the left pipe, and the two (2) grey tanks flush out of the right pipe. The handles control each pipe separately.

gatordad
03-01-2018, 06:59 AM
The 2 grey water tanks drain through the single grey water discharge pipe and one valve. The black water tank has one valve and drains when valve on left is opened.

WNY Bullet
03-01-2018, 06:21 PM
My 2015 Bullet Premier only has one discharge, but it has two separate gray valves and a black valve. Three tanks, three valves and one discharge!

Did Keystone stop doing this or is it model dependent?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/tcUQsB1VtGwtdw7GQWgeMtD8xh38boy51jwSDJDbrHvF6uZcaL PUw0ZG0n94ab0j92ruSEsmjxdyNi9Kn4jobBguZ_pa9AzpxMPR 7x7-XfkntccDIId5QLOwiziOguOnVKuj0TjyxfOc-a3JjlfBwiUnt7ziQUEMjfxX6XpLSPfti5Crym9YKEq3nkATCHu 2PW6UhrOevsk0r__B61ncFHk_Fg8hW8FcoWF4X12qqasNTi5cT N5yqiwaMx8CDcGnqtsloVAOCfDqG56rYxDYnp1YZtkS69lxFjc _NfSOTrtkQSeUgi6yybR6wyl7B8kXGhNBJwdmg-c9-Bv46e_YWqQqIxWzu95ojBh34jyhH48-zOF-ccCL1PCePelg7rQv9y4Jw8pb7FiVmNLicX1G4MJDVQxj78rHDI oVAM1KDxf6D3IBf8J_sICgN4ymHFADe5mXF1WTU8vES46whUAd Agzu8d8u9GQsRHxAiWYHIOEfT4VX-yh_tXgLp_a6-zSUkP6O9qFPvxb7aQaWv0kXtahrwSR3jUVlw6OvvRqmHri1R1b wrofeXzFDGbhqckBwlRhT2x5d0Q48W0rUoTNAylPPRYUqP4sEV 9R5zfQ=w754-h878-no

RETAFCHIEF
03-11-2018, 11:47 AM
I asked about this during my walk-around on Friday and had two dealer people scratching their heads. One insisted there was a third valve, but he couldn't find it. The other just said he "guessed" there were two tanks connected together. I emailed Keystone to see if anyone knows. I hope the person that installed the tanks and valves didn't retire or nobody will know.

MVBrown
03-11-2018, 05:01 PM
I know for my 2018 Cougar there is just 1 valve for the grey tanks. I'm kind of glad for this. I was used to one outlet on my Jayco 265RLS, and two handles before.

RETAFCHIEF
03-11-2018, 07:30 PM
I liked the 2 valves on our Flagstaff 26RKS as I have a 42 gallon Barker tank. With 60 gallons of gray I'll have to dump more often when dry camping. There are advantages to both I guess.

RETAFCHIEF
03-12-2018, 06:45 PM
I contacted the Keystone factory and got a quick reply: "Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. Your Cougar has one valve to pull to empty both gray tanks:. I guess they saved $5.00.

MVBrown
03-13-2018, 06:10 AM
So my next question is. How do I empty my Fresh Water tank? Which can hold up to 60 gal. Do I use the low water drain at the rear of the RV?

DocP
03-13-2018, 09:50 AM
I contacted the Keystone factory and got a quick reply: "Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. Your Cougar has one valve to pull to empty both gray tanks:. I guess they saved $5.00.

Does this mean that when one gray tank is full, it begins filling the other gray tank?

As an aside, how did your 32RLI tow with the 3/4 ton? I pick mine up on Friday and have the 2018 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with 4.10 axle.

RETAFCHIEF
03-13-2018, 10:34 AM
They didn't say, but I would think they are just connected as there is no switch over lever or switch. The 2500 pulls great with a Husky Centerline TS.

MVBrown
03-13-2018, 12:00 PM
No, one Grey tank is for the shower, and the other Grey tank is for the sink. So you have two 30 gal. tanks that both exit through the same pipe. My RAM 2500 HD pulls mine really nice. I used to have a Jayco, Jay-Flight Swift, 265RLS that was about 2,000 lbs. lighter, and frankly I can't tell much difference.

RETAFCHIEF
03-13-2018, 12:33 PM
I have two 30 gal tanks and one valve. That means they must be connected together or one wouldn't empty. The kitchen sink is close to the shower but they probably are plumbed to their own tanks. Keystone says: "Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. Your Cougar has one valve to pull to empty both gray tanks." That means they are acting as a single tank. I had a 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi and pulled a 2014 Flagstaff 26RKS, about 6,000 lbs loaded, without any problem. The 32 RLI is over 8,000 dry, so the 2500 6.4L entered the picture.

RETAFCHIEF
03-19-2018, 11:07 AM
From my dealer: "Just an FYI, we have been building the 32RLI since the middle of last year. When we converted to that floorplan from the old 30RLI we were using a 2 valve gray tank system. I’m sure many of the original 32RLI models had the same tank architecture and plumbing as the trailer that it replaced on the initial production. There are many dealers who are low-volume sellers and it takes them a long time to sell their inventory. You could definitely have a buyer on a forum who may have just picked one up but it was built a long time ago."

MVBrown
03-19-2018, 12:07 PM
Yeah mine was actually just built in January. So it has the new configuration.

sealyin
03-22-2018, 09:15 AM
Here is a diagram of two gray tanks with only 1 dump valve. Matches my 2017 Cougar 26RBIWE. Got it from Keystone.

notanlines
03-23-2018, 01:17 AM
So my next question is. How do I empty my Fresh Water tank? Which can hold up to 60 gal. Do I use the low water drain at the rear of the RV?

Your Cougar should have a freshwater tank drain separate from the low point drains. And it will probably be located directly under the tank area with a petcock on the end of it hanging under your coroplast.

maccam1
04-02-2018, 03:29 PM
Both grey tanks have 1 drain valve,they are tied in together, the reason the shower grey tank isn't connected to the black tank is,you have the black flush to clean your sewer hose,Called keystone on
This,customer service really couldn't answer,because blue prints are still being used in production

WNY Bullet
04-04-2018, 03:09 AM
Does this mean that when one gray tank is full, it begins filling the other gray tank?.

I would think without any back flow preventers, if both tanks are plumbed together with one drain valve, both tanks should equalize and act as one tank. There is nothing preventing both tank levels to rise together.

Think of a double bowl kitchen sink that shares one trap, if that trap clogs, both bowls will backup to same level.

ctbruce
04-04-2018, 03:32 AM
Both grey tanks have 1 drain valve,they are tied in together, the reason the shower grey tank isn't connected to the black tank is,you have the black flush to clean your sewer hose,Called keystone on
This,customer service really couldn't answer,because blue prints are still being used in productionWell....this post at least proves that there are official blueprint plans in building these things. They may not be followed all the time, but at least they're there. Whew, mystery solved.

chuckster57
04-04-2018, 04:17 AM
They may not be followed all the time, but at least they're there. Whew, mystery solved.

Thats because it depends on which side of the production line they are posted.

grahamg
04-10-2018, 03:41 PM
i have a laredo 330rl. we found out that there are TWO gray water tanks. one for the kitchen sink and one for the bathroom sink. we only found this after the kitchen sink would not drain. come to find out that they (keystone) never installed the second handle (which is way under the trailer) so we did not see the gate valve handle. once i crawled under and pulled on a small stud. the sink drained! both lines go into one exit tube so we are thinking about leaving the kitchen sink one always open. Bad QC and design by Keystone

RETAFCHIEF
04-10-2018, 07:14 PM
I made a comment about Keystone QC and got bashed and insulted by another member. I hope you don't get the same. You should be able to get a replacement grab handle and install it with some loc-tite to keep it in place.

JackTyniec
04-19-2018, 10:04 AM
Just bought my 2018 Cougar 32 RLI (loving it) last week after trading in our 4 year old Jayco 318RETS. I was told by the dealer that one drain was black water (on the left) and one grey drain (on the right) for both grey water tanks. After draining both on the trip home, I checked the control panel and both the grey tanks showed empty, so I suspect that there's no separate drain for the second grey water tank.

RETAFCHIEF
04-19-2018, 11:35 AM
Same here. One valve drains both tanks at the same time. My 42 gal Barker hauler will have to be used at just the right time with 60 gals possible.

maccam1
04-19-2018, 11:57 AM
On my cougar 32rl,this past weekend both grey tanks were full,pulled the grey lever,both tanks drained.

Janna
04-19-2018, 09:06 PM
I just brought home a 2018 Cougar32RLI. I am a bit confused about the placement of the valve handles and which one is for the black and which one is for the grey.

The valve just to the left, of the two 4” tank exits, slides in and out well, but I don’t know which tank it’s for.

The other valve is left and up under the skirt. This valve is springy and the plastic part of the handle is loose. I don’t know which tank this belongs to and due to I am new to rv’ing...is the springy handle normal?

WNY Bullet
04-19-2018, 11:37 PM
I just brought home a 2018 Cougar32RLI. I am a bit confused about the placement of the valve handles and which one is for the black and which one is for the grey.

The valve just to the left, of the two 4” tank exits, slides in and out well, but I don’t know which tank it’s for.

The other valve is left and up under the skirt. This valve is springy and the plastic part of the handle is loose. I don’t know which tank this belongs to and due to I am new to rv’ing...is the springy handle normal?

Not sure about the springy handle, but the valve handles are color coded to the type of tank they are attached to.

Janna
04-20-2018, 05:25 AM
Both of my valve handles are Black.

RETAFCHIEF
04-20-2018, 02:42 PM
I have a 2018 32RLI and the Black tank valve is closest to the front (hitch end) and the Gray is toward the rear by about 3 feet, up under the skirting. Both gray tanks empty at the same time using the rear valve. Valve color doesn't matter. I've had a trailer with three valves, all with black handles.

travelin texans
04-20-2018, 03:59 PM
If the valve handles are color coded a previous owner painted them or it was totally a lucky unintentional factory install as I've NEVER had any handles on several rvs that were any color but black.

WNY Bullet
04-20-2018, 05:08 PM
If the valve handles are color coded a previous owner painted them or it was totally a lucky unintentional factory install as I've NEVER had any handles on several rvs that were any color but black.

I guess I just have been extremely lucky on both of my trailers...

Both of my handles on my previous trailer were color coded and all three of my current one are. I guess I assumed all trailers were color coded, sorry!

ctbruce
04-20-2018, 05:22 PM
The springy handle has been on the forum a couple of times. Chances are it is too long and flexing instead of solidly opening and closing the gate valve.

RETAFCHIEF
04-20-2018, 08:45 PM
I guess I just have been extremely lucky on both of my trailers...

Both of my handles on my previous trailer were color coded and all three of my current one are. I guess I assumed all trailers were color coded, sorry!
Both of mine are black on a 2018 32RLI. Depends on which box they opened in the morning, I guess. Things like valves get various answers. I learned that it doesn't matter what was or will be, as answers are all over the place. If you hint that the manufacturer should do a better job of marking or location of valves someone will say you are being unkind or attacking Keystone.

Cardcathrn
06-15-2018, 04:41 AM
Grey tank valve is tucked up and under. So really have to look but be careful it will get you!