PDA

View Full Version : New Tires

KHBama
02-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Just got some Trailer King II tires, 10 ply E rated installed on our Laredo. Anyone using these or used these in the past? $400 installed seemed like an ok deal

Bolo4u
02-03-2018, 10:24 AM
Just got some Trailer King II tires, 10 ply E rated installed on our Laredo. Anyone using these or used these in the past? $400 installed seemed like an ok deal

Stand by...:popcorn:

ctbruce
02-03-2018, 10:33 AM
Just have to ask, did you do a search on here before you bought the TK's? These are the tires everyone is running away from to get them off their trailer. YMMV. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

KHBama
02-03-2018, 11:16 AM
Ran away from Trailer King D rated tires. Found nothing but good reviews online about the E rated tires. Guess we shall see

notanlines
02-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Okay, I'll bite. Why did you come on here asking for acceptance and support for buying four TK tires when fully one fourth of the threads on this site tell you not to?
(I didn't want to disappoint Bolo, he has popcorn to eat)

KHBama
02-03-2018, 12:19 PM
Okay, I'll bite. Why did you come on here asking for acceptance and support for buying four TK tires when fully one fourth of the threads on this site tell you not to?
(I didn't want to disappoint Bolo, he has popcorn to eat)

A) didn’t ask for acceptance
B) I don’t spend all my time on here and used search and got a bunch of threads with nothing about the E rated tires

JRTJH
02-03-2018, 12:19 PM
Tempers don't need to flair. Hold your breath, count to ten and if necessary, repeat......

I just popped a new batch too.... laissez le bon temps rouler

There are 12 parades in the New Orleans area today and 5 or 6 more tomorrow... Might as well eat popcorn here since I can't catch beads this year.....

KHBama
02-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Sorry I asked a question guys, my bad. Just move along

JRTJH
02-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Let's do a little comparison: If every comment about Ford F250's on the forum was negative and there were no negative comments about the Ford F350, would you buy one based on that "reporting"???

Reading literally "hundreds" of negative reports of TK LRD tires, is there any "assurance that the LRE is better" ???

You've got the tires now, I do hope they serve you well, but they are the same product (in a different size) that everyone is expressing dissatisfaction with service. YMMV

Javi
02-03-2018, 01:11 PM
Like my old daddy used to say... life is a series of tests, sometimes you pass and sometimes you fail.. the object is to avoid finding your name in the obits

Javi

Bolo4u
02-03-2018, 01:19 PM
A) didn’t ask for acceptance
B) I don’t spend all my time on here and used search and got a bunch of threads with nothing about the E rated tires

Something else to keep in mind. You did a search but didn't really find any info, here, on the E rated TK tires, however, the info you likely read was not very good, when it comes to the TK tires in general. It has been pointed out, the TK tires are built amongst various factories wherever, and are subject to the quality control of whomever is working the shift when a given batch of tires is made. The D rated molds are probably sitting across the isle from the E rated molds, in the same facility. More then likely, the same factory also produces tires for any number of different brands, by simply changing the name in the mold.

Carlisle tires are built in their self-owned facility, and their inspectors and quality control people are their own employees. So the quality control is much higher and more stringent than a "generic" factory producing hundreds/thousands of tires for different re-sellers.

We all like to bargain shop and if we can find the exact same widget at store B for less money than store A, then store B wins. Same holds true for tires, with the exception of the tire quality itself. Yes Walmart sells the Carlisle tires in a given size for $67, which may or may not include install at the Walmart where purchased. Some people wince at the idea of buying the tire at Walmart, because it ~could~ be a second or... ??

However, If you order them on-line, and have them shipped to the store, it is almost certain you will receive the tire from the same stack of tires the local tire shop receives their tires from, when ordering from the regional wholesaler.

With any luck, your TK tires will serve you well for your application, and when its time for new tires once again, you'll purchase the tires you feel best suit your need and budget.

KHBama
02-03-2018, 02:00 PM
Really appreciate the informative response, Thank you. Maybe I’ll get good use out of them for a bit. Will keep Carlisle HD in mind for next time

Ductape
02-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Our Keystone Bullet came with Trailer King tires. I figure.... how bad can they be if they are tire royalty ????

;);)

ctbruce
02-03-2018, 02:47 PM
I had TK E's on my Impact. Ran them for a year and about 7000 miles. No issues, but I pushed my luck enough. Before last year's Michigan trip, I replaced them with Carlisles. They have been flawless. TK'S just have a bad reputation of disentigrating. I really do hope yours give you good service and life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

notanlines
02-03-2018, 04:19 PM
Let's also keep in mind that we're just responding to a simple question. I said I'll bite, but not looking to do anything but sort of raise the hackles of a fellow member a little and further the info available to other members for future use. I think I've referred to this as "poking a stick through the fence at a barking dog." We are allowed to differ in opinions and should show a little respect in doing so. Bama guy, I hope you take my comment in the manner in which it was intended.
After all, I am glad that the Tide nipped the Bulldogs back in January.....oops, there's that stick again.:D

Tinner12002
02-04-2018, 05:11 AM
Something else to keep in mind. You did a search but didn't really find any info, here, on the E rated TK tires, however, the info you likely read was not very good, when it comes to the TK tires in general. It has been pointed out, the TK tires are built amongst various factories wherever, and are subject to the quality control of whomever is working the shift when a given batch of tires is made. The D rated molds are probably sitting across the isle from the E rated molds, in the same facility. More then likely, the same factory also produces tires for any number of different brands, by simply changing the name in the mold.

Carlisle tires are built in their self-owned facility, and their inspectors and quality control people are their own employees. So the quality control is much higher and more stringent than a "generic" factory producing hundreds/thousands of tires for different re-sellers.

We all like to bargain shop and if we can find the exact same widget at store B for less money than store A, then store B wins. Same holds true for tires, with the exception of the tire quality itself. Yes Walmart sells the Carlisle tires in a given size for $67, which may or may not include install at the Walmart where purchased. Some people wince at the idea of buying the tire at Walmart, because it ~could~ be a second or... ??

However, If you order them on-line, and have them shipped to the store, it is almost certain you will receive the tire from the same stack of tires the local tire shop receives their tires from, when ordering from the regional wholesaler.

With any luck, your TK tires will serve you well for your application, and when its time for new tires once again, you'll purchase the tires you feel best suit your need and budget.

Bolo4u, do you have stock in Walmart or Carlisle, has to be one as you keep insisting people buy them with free shipping @ $67 ea. Lol! Just joking as I borrowed that stick Sourdough had.
As for KHBama and his TKs, he might get lucky and have bought a set that gives him good service, hopefully he stays on here and keeps us informed on how they do!

Bolo4u
02-04-2018, 07:53 AM
Bolo4u, do you have stock in Walmart or Carlisle, has to be one as you keep insisting people buy them with free shipping @ $67 ea. Lol! Just joking as I borrowed that stick Sourdough had.
As for KHBama and his TKs, he might get lucky and have bought a set that gives him good service, hopefully he stays on here and keeps us informed on how they do!

Show me where I insist people buy anything from anywhere... I’ll wait. I just shared my experience. I won’t tell you what you can do with that stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pawpaw
02-05-2018, 11:08 AM
Tempers don't need to flair. Hold your breath, count to ten and if necessary, repeat......

I just popped a new batch too.... laissez le bon temps rouler

There are 12 parades in the New Orleans area today and 5 or 6 more tomorrow... Might as well eat popcorn here since I can't catch beads this year.....

Throw me something Mister!!! :D :popcorn:

Tinner12002
02-05-2018, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=Bolo4u;272198]Show me where I insist people buy anything from anywhere... I’ll wait. I just shared my experience. I won’t tell you what you can do with that stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE

Ok so you didn't insist maybe but you keep mentioning it, anyhow, just funning with ya anyway, nothing serious on my end!
Besides, already gave that stick back to sourdough!

Tooth Ferry
02-06-2018, 09:20 PM
Had to replace all 4 at less than 3500 miles. As we started to leave on a trip I saw that one had thrown a 6 x 12 piece of tread. When I went to the local TK dealer to get a replacement he examined the others and showed me where the other 3 were about to do the same, big bubbles under the tread. Watch them very carefully and have the dealer you bought them from check them regularly. We go across PikeRd often between Pell City and Seagrove Fl.

440justin
02-06-2018, 09:38 PM
For what it is worth I ran the factory TK's on my passport for 4 years and 15,000 miles without issue. I also decided at that time I should stop pushing my luck and get some carlisle HD's. While I had no issues with the TK's I feel much better when the Carlisle's.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

talk2cpu
02-07-2018, 05:28 AM

Congrats, I do hope they serve you as well as my TK's did. Six years and 20,000 miles. They gave me no problems. Of course after reading all the negative reports I became a bit OCD about care. TPMS installed and monitored all the time traveling. Tire pressure kept about 5 psi above what the tables recommended for load (I never had them loaded to max) and regular inspections by sight and feel. AVOID curbs, rocks and holes, or take them slow. You can also use your leveling blocks to ease the height of the curbs if you need to go over them. Remember how GY's used to be best thing since sliced bread and now have lots of negative posts? Maybe it was a change in manufacturer, maybe not.

I am waiting to see all the negative reports about Carlise, since that is what I replaced my TK's with, as they become more widely used. Just think of how many TK's are out there and give reasonable service.

Remember, this is the internet and the best place to complain when something goes wrong.

Good luck and enjoy your travels and treat your tires well.

KHBama
02-07-2018, 07:06 AM
Congrats, I do hope they serve you as well as my TK's did. Six years and 20,000 miles. They gave me no problems. Of course after reading all the negative reports I became a bit OCD about care. TPMS installed and monitored all the time traveling. Tire pressure kept about 5 psi above what the tables recommended for load (I never had them loaded to max) and regular inspections by sight and feel. AVOID curbs, rocks and holes, or take them slow. You can also use your leveling blocks to ease the height of the curbs if you need to go over them. Remember how GY's used to be best thing since sliced bread and now have lots of negative posts? Maybe it was a change in manufacturer, maybe not.

I am waiting to see all the negative reports about Carlise, since that is what I replaced my TK's with, as they become more widely used. Just think of how many TK's are out there and give reasonable service.

Remember, this is the internet and the best place to complain when something goes wrong.

Good luck and enjoy your travels and treat your tires well.

Thanks, it’s nice to see informative posts from people that actually have them/used them. Hope they treat me well for a few years

theasphaltrv'er
02-09-2018, 06:02 AM
Well...well...well.
KHBama, We've run nuttin but "china bombs" on the 3 different RV's we've had since the early 90's. Currently am running Trailer Kings "D" on our little 26sab. Have alittle over 10,000 miles on em and hope to get at least one more year out of em (4 years so far...I do keep em covered and sprayed with the 303 protectant). So far in all the years and umteen miles we've put on the different "china bombs", (Tow Max, Duro's, Greenballs & Tow Master & probably others) we've not had a blowout yet. We travel fairly lite & keep the RV's weights well below the GVWR.

sourdough
02-09-2018, 06:32 AM
Had to replace all 4 at less than 3500 miles. As we started to leave on a trip I saw that one had thrown a 6 x 12 piece of tread. When I went to the local TK dealer to get a replacement he examined the others and showed me where the other 3 were about to do the same, big bubbles under the tread. Watch them very carefully and have the dealer you bought them from check them regularly. We go across PikeRd often between Pell City and Seagrove Fl.

This is good advice. John posted some pics of his when he pulled them off and they looked just like what you describe if I recall. Mine did pretty much the same....let go from the inside out. Kudos to those that are using them and haven't had issues. To me, it's just like the Russian roulette scene in Deer Hunter; you may be the lucky one that is spared, but, it's going to happen (gun firing) simply because it will, be it bad manufacturing, poor/no quality control etc. I just don't intend to find out if I'm "the one".

notanlines
02-09-2018, 07:25 AM
I believe it was Plautus who once said " It takes a great man to give sound advice tactfully, but a greater to accept it graciously."
It was that smart-alecky notanlines who said "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."

JRTJH
02-09-2018, 07:29 AM
Here are the pictures of my TK tires. There is no way to identify the damage with the tire mounted on the wheel and it's not "worth it" to me, to remove the tire, check for damage and reinstall the tire. Anyway, here's what I found, what sourdough found and what Tooth Ferry posted his dealer showed him.

travelin texans
02-09-2018, 08:36 AM
Is it a coincidence that TK tread design is almost identical to the GY Marathons that have the same reputation as China Bombs? Also same tread design that's scattered across just about every freeway in the country. I've never had a rv with either brand so not making any opinions on them, just an observation.

JRTJH
02-09-2018, 09:48 AM
Inn the 80's and early 90's Goodyear Marathons were the tire to have. Every "upgraded trailer" had GY Marathons on it as OEM and anybody who wanted to upgrade their "non-luxury" trailer bought GY Marathons. They were all made at the GY plant in Ohio. Then GY moved the ST tire operation overseas and quality fell, there was a major recall to replace all the GY Marathons in about 94 or 95. My Goodyear dealer suggested I not put the new Marathons on my Holiday Rambler, but suggested I use the opportunity to switch to Maxxis. He called Maxxis the "Michelin of trailer tires". I did and never had another bit of trouble with that trailer.

Now, it seems that GY Marathons retain the same reputation. Whether it's a carryover from past problems or a continuation of a sub-par tire ??? I don't know and honestly don't want to spend my money to find out. So, at least for me, it makes sense to avoid all the "bad reputation tires" and just not gamble that they "might be better than last year's tires"... YMMV

KHBama
02-09-2018, 10:21 AM

I hope I have better luck! If not, lesson learned. Love Pike Road, nice small town feel. I work in architecture and we are currently doing some work at a few schools in Pell City

ctbruce
02-09-2018, 10:25 AM
I hope I have better luck! If not, lesson learned. Love Pike Road, nice small town feel. I work in architecture and we are currently doing some work at a few schools in Pell CityThis! My good wishes are with you. Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hodgy
02-09-2018, 02:50 PM
Here are the pictures of my TK tires. There is no way to identify the damage with the tire mounted on the wheel and it's not "worth it" to me, to remove the tire, check for damage and reinstall the tire. Anyway, here's what I found, what sourdough found and what Tooth Ferry posted his dealer showed him.

John is that lamination separation on the inside of the tire ? Hard for me to tell what is going on there.

JRTJH
02-09-2018, 04:13 PM
John is that lamination separation on the inside of the tire ? Hard for me to tell what is going on there. .

Yup. The tread separated from the carcass. It looks like "bubbles" but actually is tread separation. I have not taken the tires apart, so I can't say whether the steel belt stayed with the tread or if it is still wound around the carcass. Either way, both of them (50% failure rate) have less than 3 years and less than 5,000 miles on them. They never were towed underinflated (always at 65PSI) and never over about 64 or 65 MPH. They have not been overloaded, I have less than 8000 pounds on the axles, that's 2000 pounds average weight carried per tire with a rating of 2540 per tire. I've never hit a curb, twisted the axles/tires in a tight turn (short bed without a slider hitch). To the best of my knowledge, the tires have never had any "mishap or abuse", no potholes or emergency braking, never overheated (I check with a laser thermometer at every stop). However they are the OEM tires. We special ordered the trailer, it was delivered to the dealership and we picked it up the next week after the PDI, so no "questionable history while on the sales lot".... The only "I don't know" is the actual delivery trip from Goshen to Onaway, MI, a distance of 325 miles. I was at the dealership when the trailer was received and I did check the tire pressure while it was hitched to the delivery truck. All the tires were 65-70 PSI and were still warm from the trip. Other than that, I'm the only one who has ever towed the trailer.

Hodgy
02-09-2018, 04:38 PM

Thanks John, that is downright scary !

ken56
02-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Exactly what one of mine started to do. They were E rated too and I had put about 3k miles on them with a couple of fairly good distance trips. We had planned to go to FL this past December and I was not comfortable with keeping them on for that long of a trip and I replaced them with the Goodyear Endurance E rated.

What I could tell between the two was I could feel the trailer was more stable when towing on the expressway. I had a slight wiggle with the Trailer Kings that I don't have with the Goodyears. I believe the sidewall is stiffer in the Goodyears.

We don't know the OP's camping style, as in long trips or short weekend trips. That would be the determining factor to me. 400 bucks is a good value if you are confident that you won't be depending on them for a cross country trip. I spent 650 on my Goodyears and I have more confidence in pulling for a 6-8 hour day...but any tire can have a blowout at any time too. Good luck with your Trailer Kings, just keep a close eye on them.

KHBama
02-09-2018, 04:50 PM
Exactly what one of mine started to do. They were E rated too and I had put about 3k miles on them with a couple of fairly good distance trips. We had planned to go to FL this past December and I was not comfortable with keeping them on for that long of a trip and I replaced them with the Goodyear Endurance E rated.

What I could tell between the two was I could feel the trailer was more stable when towing on the expressway. I had a slight wiggle with the Trailer Kings that I don't have with the Goodyears. I believe the sidewall is stiffer in the Goodyears.

We don't know the OP's camping style, as in long trips or short weekend trips. That would be the determining factor to me. 400 bucks is a good value if you are confident that you won't be depending on them for a cross country trip. I spent 650 on my Goodyears and I have more confidence in pulling for a 6-8 hour day...but any tire can have a blowout at any time too. Good luck with your Trailer Kings, just keep a close eye on them.

We are normally weekend warriors staying within 200 miles from home. But.... our 1st trip with them will be to Clearwater, FL to see the dolphin tale “stars”, then heading over to Disney for the week. About 1000 miles round trip. Will hope for the best, thanks for the info

krisbc1
02-20-2018, 04:42 AM
I like, Provider ST235/85R16 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range G
Radial special trailer tire has a ply rating of 14 and a 4,400-lb max load at 110 psi. Great for highway use. Fits 16" wheels

captcolour
02-20-2018, 05:00 AM
I like, Provider ST235/85R16 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range G
Radial special trailer tire has a ply rating of 14 and a 4,400-lb max load at 110 psi. Great for highway use. Fits 16" wheels
If you like the Providers, you would love the Sailun's of equal size. My new RV came with Providers and changed those out to the Sailun's before leaving on my first trip.

Tbos
02-21-2018, 06:26 PM
I see Providers are mentioned in a positive light. Does anyone have real experience with them? The 5er I have on order will come with them.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

captcolour
02-21-2018, 06:37 PM
I see Providers are mentioned in a positive light. Does anyone have real experience with them? The 5er I have on order will come with them.

I asked the same question when I purchased the Alpine and got a one word response: "boom". The Providers never left the driveway.

CaptnJohn
02-22-2018, 05:15 AM
My last 5er was a Cougar that came with TK tires. I had no trouble in the 90 minutes I had them and drove 43 miles from the dealer to the tire shop. There Carlisle RH were put on, before the new HD series were out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank G
02-22-2018, 09:58 AM

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

I have Provider tires on our 2017 Laredo. About 2500 miles on them and currently in Florida heading back to Ohio in April. I plan on keeping them for 4 years before replacement. I am not scared off by the fear mongering that is rampant on forums. Show me statistical failure data for a given tire.

I have had many blowouts on USA made Goodyear and Firestone tires

sourdough
02-22-2018, 10:57 AM
I have Provider tires on our 2017 Laredo. About 2500 miles on them and currently in Florida heading back to Ohio in April. I plan on keeping them for 4 years before replacement. I am not scared off by the fear mongering that is rampant on forums. Show me statistical failure data for a given tire.

I'm not sure I would call posting the events of a tire failure, or recitation of those issues, fear mongering; simply warning others of events experienced.

When reading on this forum and others of the failure rate of a particular tire or tires you find that a particular brand/manufacturer has a terribly high failure rate mentioned (actual experiences) vs other commonly used tires that is a red flag and should be viewed as such. When researching the failed tires and finding that they come from a particular factory(s)/province in China then posting that info, that is not fear mongering - it is posting data to be used however one sees fit.

When a person reviews all this information, determines they don't want to take a chance on a particular tire, buys a different brand then posts that they did, and in many cases follow ups on their performance; that is not fear mongering - simply useful information.

In my case, I view the information as advice; to be used or discarded. I've been told you shouldn't hit a semi head on at 70 mph. I've even seen pictures of it but never experienced it; and hopefully never will. I don't view the one telling me that as a fear mongerer - just useful information that I can either log and put to use or ignore. YMMV

Frank G
02-22-2018, 12:25 PM
Here we go, all I asked for was the statistical data on Provider Tires. What I got was a lecture on not conforming to the Top ten posters. Show me where Provider tires are not as good as anything else on the market.

JRTJH
02-22-2018, 12:38 PM
Here we go, all I asked for was the statistical data on Provider Tires. What I got was a lecture on not conforming to the Top ten posters. Show me where Provider tires are not as good as anything else on the market.

If you go to the Provider tire website, they'll state that their tires are the "best on the market", if you go to NHTSA website they'll give you information that's been reported (most by mandatory reporting requirements) from dealerships and a couple of angry private owners....

As for statistical data to compare that specific tire to others? I'm not sure that information exists in a form that's available to the average consumer....

Maybe, after a couple years, you can start that process by reporting your success/failure experiences with Provider tires. Then this forum would have information available to offer. I suppose what I'm suggesting is that since you're in "uncharted waters", watch out for solid objects just below the water's surface and, if you do find any, mark them and let us know......

sourdough
02-22-2018, 01:52 PM

Hmm, where we going?? I simply stated that I didn't think I would call the posts by members telling of bad experiences with tires or tire choices and why they made them "fear mongering". I explained how I view those posts and why. I was trying to point out, politely, that the use of "fear mongering" while talking about the posters of those experiences is in "bad form"; it is derogatory. Instead, you attack because you feel you didn't "conform" to.......what? My expectations....:) I also said not a word about Provider tires, but I did say people can make whatever choices they want using whatever criteria they want. Oh, for your edification:

fear·mon·ger·ing
ˈfirˌməNGəriNG/
noun
noun: fear-mongering
the action of deliberately arousing public fear or alarm about a particular issue.
"his campaign for re-election was based on fearmongering and deception"

You're welcome! Also, I've not read nor hear anything good or bad about Provider tires. I believe a lot of suggestions were given in other threads on how to determine where they were made so you might have an idea of what you are getting into (fear mongering?). John also gave some insight on how you might benefit others with your experiences if you are of a mind to.

ctbruce
02-22-2018, 02:36 PM
Maybe I missed it before, but I do not remember the name Provider tires being mentioned before on the forum. At least not until a post made yesterday. I thought it was a misprint and the poster was referring to some unknown Original equipment tire that came with his rig.

I think that we're all interested in learning about a tire that is quality, safe, proven and at a good price that is out there. That's why so many have flocked to the Carlisle radials. Having a choice would be a good thing. Nothing wrong with that.

Spring, please hurry up and get here. The natives are getting restless. Amen

busterbrown
02-22-2018, 03:12 PM
Provider tires are manufactured for a company out of Texas known as Taskmaster Components. eTrailer.com sells many of their products. The Provider ST tire line specs can be seen here:

http://taskmasterproducts.com/products/provider-st-radial/

Carlisle tires have more brand recognition due there availability and recent positive track record. The largest tire retailers in th US are all selling them. Providers, I have no clue.

I think many of the unknown brands manufactured in China have developed a negative following due to "fitment reserves"...in other words, reserve load capacities that tend to "conservatively" meet DOT/NHTSA requirements for a RV manufacturer's coach in new condition. With age and environmental factors, the reserve load capacities are tested in a very short amount of time. It's my understanding that Carlisle has considerably improved upon their recent product line, hedging against premature tire failures.

sourdough
02-22-2018, 03:52 PM
If you go to the Provider tire website, they'll state that their tires are the "best on the market", if you go to NHTSA website they'll give you information that's been reported (most by mandatory reporting requirements) from dealerships and a couple of angry private owners....

As for statistical data to compare that specific tire to others? I'm not sure that information exists in a form that's available to the average consumer....

Maybe, after a couple years, you can start that process by reporting your success/failure experiences with Provider tires. Then this forum would have information available to offer. I suppose what I'm suggesting is that since you're in "uncharted waters", watch out for solid objects just below the water's surface and, if you do find any, mark them and let us know......

I agree with this. I don't know of any tire shop that sits down and logs the blown tire that came into the shop then reports it to anyone listing manufacturer, date of manufacture, size, type, LR etc. It just doesn't happen as far as I know.

With the lack of that "statistical data" the only things we are left with trying to assess the quality of a tire are personal inspection, construction of product provided by manufacturer, data compiled by the NHTSA AND feedback from owners who have had the product that provide their experiences....("fear mongerers"?) :hide: Sorry.....putting the poking stick back someplace where I hope I can find it another day....:flowers:

sourdough
02-22-2018, 03:59 PM
Maybe I missed it before, but I do not remember the name Provider tires being mentioned before on the forum. At least not until a post made yesterday. I thought it was a misprint and the poster was referring to some unknown Original equipment tire that came with his rig.

I think that we're all interested in learning about a tire that is quality, safe, proven and at a good price that is out there. That's why so many have flocked to the Carlisle radials. Having a choice would be a good thing. Nothing wrong with that.

Spring, please hurry up and get here. The natives are getting restless. Amen

I think spring has sprung here!!:D 83 today, bright sunshine, the water is deep blue, beauuuuuutiful! Downside; humidity about 80% (we like about 6% :) ) and no see ums so thick you breathe them if you go outside :(. On the upside, sitting here eating grilled, bacon wrapped fresh shrimp with jalapeno slices. Here's hoping that all the folks still in the cold have a quick turn around and the weather turns beautiful for you as well!!:dance::dance:

ctbruce
02-22-2018, 04:10 PM
I think spring has sprung here!!:D 83 today, bright sunshine, the water is deep blue, beauuuuuutiful! Downside; humidity about 80% (we like about 6% :) ) and no see ums so thick you breathe them if you go outside :(. On the upside, sitting here eating grilled, bacon wrapped fresh shrimp with jalapeno slices. Here's hoping that all the folks still in the cold have a quick turn around and the weather turns beautiful for you as well!!:dance::dance:For sure. Mmmmmmm......shrimp (in Homer Simpson voice).https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180223/01efcfab5c504a989ffeca63d51616c2.jpg

sourdough
02-22-2018, 05:56 PM
I agree with this. I don't know of any tire shop that sits down and logs the blown tire that came into the shop then reports it to anyone listing manufacturer, date of manufacture, size, type, LR etc. It just doesn't happen as far as I know.

With the lack of that "statistical data" the only things we are left with trying to assess the quality of a tire are personal inspection, construction of product provided by manufacturer, data compiled by the NHTSA AND feedback from owners who have had the product that provide their experiences....("fear mongerers"?) :hide: Sorry.....putting the poking stick back someplace where I hope I can find it another day....:flowers:

I have been thinking about this comment. Initially, when the thought/term came up I thought it was funny. Unfortunately, it is not what I want to do when posting on this forum nor the way I want to convey myself. I AM pretty forward and expressive but have only the welfare of the members in mind. I don't know what everyone thinks but I figure I am considered one that is opinionated (yes), makes long posts (yes), aggravating to some etc.

I am going to express my thoughts and opinions; at times I'm sure to the chagrin of some. My intentions are only to express my thoughts and opinions - not "poke a stick" to cause a confrontation. On the other hand, I will assuredly respond to caustic remarks as I always have....:flowers:

With that said, I buried the "poking stick" this evening.....under the carcass of the 6' alligator that px$$ed me off by wanting to attack my puppy.....puppy's OK, I'm missing 6 40 cal. hollow points and the gator's missing a tail (they're good).........:lol: Just kidding :ermm: Good evening to all...........:)

ChuckS
02-22-2018, 06:34 PM
I think the Provider G rated tires coming on the newer Alpines will be a fine tire. It’s 14 ply rated at 4400 lbs load range at 110 psi.

My 2014 Alpine came with Trailer King E rated tires.. 2015 was first year Alpine upped the tire load range. If mine had had those they would still be on it

I installed a set of GeoStar 14 ply G rated when I replaced my E rated TK tires with only 2000 miles of service.

Why... because they have a bad rep, E rated is not enough load range for any size Alpine.

I’ve run four seasons of use with my “Off Brand” 14 ply tires ... and no they ain’t ST tires and I’m comfortable with that

I run 110 psi cold, tow at 62, and unless I see signs of cracking, bulging, etc I’ll run at least two more years.

What would I buy to replace these with? Sailun G rated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbos
02-22-2018, 08:40 PM
Other than captcolour getting the “boom” one word response previously I don’t believe I’ve seen negative comments on the providers. The Keystone rep was adamant they were good tires. If you know of people that have negative issues with providers please pass links or titles of those posts so I can review them. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

notanlines
02-23-2018, 03:41 AM
First, Tbos, I believe two people: Keystone reps and the person who says the Rooskies aren't doping at the Olympics. :facepalm: I think you are on the right path by asking questions on different forums and asking people "in the know" for their opinions.
Secondly, Sourddough? "alligator wanting to attack my puppy" Which was in the other's territory? Remember, 'gators gotta eat, too!":eek:

ctbruce
02-23-2018, 06:43 AM
First, Tbos, I believe two people: Keystone reps and the person who says the Rooskies aren't doping at the Olympics. :facepalm: I think you are on the right path by asking questions on different forums and asking people "in the know" for their opinions.
Secondly, Sourddough? "alligator wanting to attack my puppy" Which was in the other's territory? Remember, 'gators gotta eat, too!":eek:That's what the yappy neighbors puppy is for.

sourdough
02-23-2018, 07:35 AM
Secondly, Sourddough? "alligator wanting to attack my puppy" Which was in the other's territory? Remember, 'gators gotta eat, too!":eek:

Although there was no attack it was in a marshy area bordering a lake in a park we go to every day; it does warn of alligators. Puppy was on a leash with me. Gator was sunning on a beautiful warm day watching us. I was the one apprehensive after sighting him; he was about 50' away - don't know that I was in his territory since I try to give them their space. My little scenario above is what I would have done if he had decided to move. He didn't but we did. I figured no need to "poke a gator" needlessly. They're not very aggressive right now but mating season is coming in a couple of months causing them to be much more dangerous. Several folks have lost pets at this lake in the past but usually because they let them play in the water or wander the shoreline in the marshy areas. April - June we stay in the middle of the park.

Yep, gators gotta eat too but they don't realize they carry a lot of good "gator bites" in their tail if they get too frisky.....:D :lol: Of course FWC might not take kindly to me trying to carve up a gator I just shot.....:nonono:

srvnt
02-23-2018, 10:12 AM

The only ST tire made in the USA is the new GY Endurance, which I have over 10,000 hard miles on and still looking good. You must be referring to LT tires?

Hodgy
02-23-2018, 11:10 AM
The only ST tire made in the USA is the new GY Endurance, which I have over 10,000 hard miles on and still looking good. You must be referring to LT tires?

Glad to hear that. My TK's will be coming off this spring and I will be going with new Endurance from my local Goodyear dealer.

Frank G
02-23-2018, 01:28 PM

Yes, the Goodyear's were LT type on a year old 4-Star, 4 Horse slant load with LQ and tack room. Goodyear told us to pound sand, Lost two on one trip and one earlier. Replaced with Michelin Rib Tires and never another issue. This was 25/30 years ago. In the same time frame lost a couple of Firestones on the P/U.

The point I was trying to make was ALL manufactures have Failures and recalls. Watched a 3 year old Documentary this morning where there at over 3 Million recalled tires on the road or in the for sale racks in this country. God help us. No, there apparently is no one place to type in your tire info to find out if it has been recalled.

Tinner12002
02-23-2018, 01:33 PM
[/COLOR]

I have been thinking about this comment. Initially, when the thought/term came up I thought it was funny. Unfortunately, it is not what I want to do when posting on this forum nor the way I want to convey myself. I AM pretty forward and expressive but have only the welfare of the members in mind. I don't know what everyone thinks but I figure I am considered one that is opinionated (yes), makes long posts (yes), aggravating to some etc.

I am going to express my thoughts and opinions; at times I'm sure to the chagrin of some. My intentions are only to express my thoughts and opinions - not "poke a stick" to cause a confrontation. On the other hand, I will assuredly respond to caustic remarks as I always have....:flowers:

With that said, I buried the "poking stick" this evening.....under the carcass of the 6' alligator that px$$ed me off by wanting to attack my puppy.....puppy's OK, I'm missing 6 40 cal. hollow points and the gator's missing a tail (they're good).........:lol: Just kidding :ermm: Good evening to all...........:)

Nothing better than a little forum humor!! I figured you'd finally figure out where you put that stick! LMAO!

Tinner12002
02-23-2018, 01:38 PM
Yes, the Goodyear's were LT type on a year old 4-Star, 4 Horse slant load with LQ and tack room. Goodyear told us to pound sand, Lost two on one trip and one earlier. Replaced with Michelin Rib Tires and never another issue. This was 25/30 years ago. In the same time frame lost a couple of Firestones on the P/U.

The point I was trying to make was ALL manufactures have Failures and recalls. Watched a 3 year old Documentary this morning where there at over 3 Million recalled tires on the road or in the for sale racks in this country. God help us. No, there apparently is no one place to type in your tire info to find out if it has been recalled.

I find that hard to believe because we've all heard on here many many times that nobody ever has issues with LT tires! It must have been because they were on a horse trailer instead of an RV...anyone have any popcorn??