PDA

View Full Version : Champion or Westinghouse

sparky01
02-03-2018, 03:36 AM
i'm looking at buying an inverter. My budget is limited so I am looking at a smaller unit. We dry camp in our Keystone Hideout 26' TT 2-3 times a year. I am only looking to use the inverter to charge my batteries and maybe run the microwave. I would like your opinion on the Champion 2000 watt stackable or the Westinghouse 2200 watt. They are about the same price, the westinghouse has a little more power but the Champion seems a little more durable?

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-2000-Watt-Stackable-Portable-Generator/dp/B0041K09D8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517657034&sr=8-3&keywords=champion+inverter+generator+2000

https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-WH2200iXLT-Portable-Inverter-Generator/dp/B00NHACROW/ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1517658072&sr=1-3&keywords=westinghouse+generator+iGen2200

larry337
02-03-2018, 03:43 AM
Can't beat it for the price. I know 3 people who own them. I have twin Yamahas but if I was to do it over I would buy this one for half the money in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

larry337
02-03-2018, 03:49 AM
I guess i should clarify i was referring to the Champions. I have no experience with the Westinghouse.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tinner12002
02-03-2018, 05:21 AM
I noticed that the Champion actually has 100 more running watts than my Honda 2000. I was going to maybe add the Generac IQ2000 but it has same running watts as the Honda. I see the Westinghouse has 1800 running watts, 200 more than Honda. The only thing that I dislike about either one is the fact that neither have a 30amp twist lock plug, guess I'm spoiled with my Honda. Either would probably be a good choice, good luck with your decision.

JRTJH
02-03-2018, 07:01 AM
I have two "stackable Champion 2000 watt generators". They power my RV without any issues. Typically we don't need air conditioning, so I only take 1 generator on most trips around Michigan. A typical day includes using it to make coffee in the morning and about an hour or two to recharge the batteries if needed (usually every 3rd day).

This past summer I noticed a "funny fan noise" on one of the generators. It was about 14 or 15 months old (2 year warranty). I sent Champion an email through their website asking what they wanted me to do. They gave me the address of a "local" repair center. I took the generator there and was told they no longer accept Champion warranty work. I contacted the CS at Champion with this information, they sent me a FedEx tag to ship it back to them in California. I boxed it up, sent it to them, they inspected the generator and sent me a new one in return. The guy I was working with said they could not identify the noise, but agreed that it wasn't normal.

Anyway, the warranty service was without a doubt, the best I've had with that kind of situation. If I were to buy new generators, they would be Champion, based on that kind of support.

As a note, Champion is introducing a new model, a 2000 watt that is constructed similar to the "suitcase generators". It may be a tad bit smaller, but doesn't appear that it will stack (although it can be coupled with a second generator). Whether Champion intends to discontinue the current "stackable style" is something I can't find the answer to. So if you're contemplating buying a second one in the future, you might keep a close eye on availability.

Also, Champion now offers a 3 year warranty on their products. Previously it was 2 years.

I'd buy Champion again without question, if that's of any value to you, I can't say......

B-O-B'03
02-03-2018, 12:06 PM
I have the Champion 3100 Inverter generator and it almost always starts on the first pull, never more than 2.

We had a power outage, a month or so back and I dug the Champion out of the shed, put gas in it and it started on the first pull, after being unused for months, I don't remember camping with it last season at all.

I would definitely buy another one and they are regularly on sale at Costco, I paid under $700 for mine, delivered to my door, 4 years ago.

-Brian

nellie1289
02-03-2018, 03:08 PM
I have the Champion 3100 Inverter generator and it almost always starts on the first pull, never more than 2.

We had a power outage, a month or so back and I dug the Champion out of the shed, put gas in it and it started on the first pull, after being unused for months, I don't remember camping with it last season at all.

I would definitely buy another one and they are regularly on sale at Costco, I paid under $700 for mine, delivered to my door, 4 years ago.

-Brian

Have same generator, also from costco for $599. Flawless, runs ac easily. I ran it for 40 straight hours in yakima in 100 degree heat to keep the trailer cool. I have since bought an extended run tank off ebay that is six gallons i havent used yet. I get aabout 5 hours per tank on the stock tank in 100 degree heat full blast on the ac. Very impressed!

Bisjoe
02-05-2018, 12:03 PM
I just happened to see this. Doesn't give confidence in the Westinghouse.

http://wbsm.com/4500-portable-generators-recalled-by-westinghouse-due-to-fire-hazard/

B-O-B'03
02-05-2018, 01:23 PM
... I have since bought an extended run tank off ebay that is six gallons i havent used yet. I get aabout 5 hours per tank on the stock tank in 100 degree heat full blast on the ac. Very impressed!

That sounds awesome, do you have a link to the tank?

Thanks,

-Brian

sparky01
02-05-2018, 03:28 PM
I just happened to see this. Doesn't give confidence in the Westinghouse.

http://wbsm.com/4500-portable-generators-recalled-by-westinghouse-due-to-fire-hazard/

Thanks for the heads-up seems everybody says bad about the Westinghouse units or there is no history

nellie1289
02-05-2018, 06:43 PM
That sounds awesome, do you have a link to the tank?

Thanks,

-Brian

here it is.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/112466053592?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

B-O-B'03
02-05-2018, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the link... they are mighty proud of it :eek:

I guess, for now, I will stick with my 5.5 gallon gas can and manual refills.

-Brian

nellie1289
02-05-2018, 09:51 PM
If you look at the parts alone it’s like 120$. The marine gas can is 50 by itself. It’s very high quality. I am looking forward to trying it out

Tinner12002
02-06-2018, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the link... they are mighty proud of it :eek:

I guess, for now, I will stick with my 5.5 gallon gas can and manual refills.

-Brian

Yes, until you have to get up in the middle of the nite because your gen ran out of gas...Lol.

talk2cpu
02-06-2018, 05:31 AM
I have a Champion 2000 and am a little disappointed. I was surprised at what it couldn't run. I know it won't run the AC, but found it would not run the microwave, even on full power. Only other thing running was the converter. Would die when only a 1000 watt light was plugged in on eco mode and barely stayed running when on non-eco. I do like the weight and how well it starts and runs, just wish it would take a load better without stopping. I would buy a Champion again, but it would be the 3100.

Just want to run the furnace, fridge and 650 watt coffee maker at the same time.

Tom

JRTJH
02-06-2018, 07:14 AM
talk2cpu,

There are a few "hidden electric thieves" in most RV's. People often don't realize that if on AUTO, the refrigerator will switch to the electric side as soon as you plug in. That's about a 400 watt heater in the refrigerator that becomes an "immediate draw on the generator" unless you switch from AUTO to GAS. There's the electric side of the water heater as well. The heating element in the water heater draws about 1100 watts by itself. Most people do turn off the water heater, but many forget the refrigerator.

The converter can, during the first hour or so of use (with depleted batteries) draw 800 to 1200 watts through the converter.

The Champion has a "sustained capacity" of 1700 watts with a "surge capacity" of 2000 watts. Most people are really surprised to find that their RV draws at least half of the available watts (refrigerator and converter) if they have a "dual 6 volt battery system" as soon as they plug in their generator.

That said, I'm surprised that your generator won't support more than it does. You might consider contacting Champion (if you're still in warranty) and discussing the problem. You may have a bad alternator or voltage rectifier/regulator section.

Dave W
02-06-2018, 07:22 AM
I think you are shooting yourself in the foot by the 1700 watt running output. Check under the sofa cushions and see if you can find a little more funding and get something in the 3000 watt range (or two of the small stackables).

We have a Boily which is 3600 starting watts/3200 running. It is dual purpose - house plus 5er. While it has occasionally been a bear to start, does the job very nicely, especially keeping the lights and heat on if we have a winter power outage. I can't recommend that genset due to the starting problem but the output is sure nice and will run the 5ers 15K Btu a/c along with all of the lights or the microwave but not at the same time as the a/c.

Westinghouse is NOT the same company that your parents knew and loved. The name is being used by others now to sell low end electrical products.

KHBama
02-06-2018, 08:27 AM
https://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/inverter-generators/3500-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-63584.html

I know I know, Harbor Freight. I bought the Predator 3500 on sale for $650 last year. Last time I used it was tailgating at a football game in November. Pulled it out of the garage this past weekend and it fired up on the 1st try. Very Quiet. Now 3 years from now I may be singing a different tune but for the cost it was worth it.

KSH
02-06-2018, 10:48 AM
https://m.costco.com/Champion-DUAL-FUEL-2800wt-Running--3100wt-Peak-Digital-Inverter-Generator%2c-Electric-Start%2c-RV-Ready%2c-Parallel-Capable%2c-CARB-%2526-EPA-Certified%2c-Low-Decibels.product.100284958.html

I have the non dual fuel one. I got it for $500 at Costco. Runs my ac just fine.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

B-O-B'03
02-06-2018, 01:41 PM
https://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/inverter-generators/3500-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-63584.html
I know I know, Harbor Freight...

"We guarantee this product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for 90 days from the date of purchase. Limitations apply."

The specs look good, the warranty turns me off a bit.

The Firman (https://m.costco.com/Firman-2900W-Running--3200W-Peak-Gas-Inverter-Generator.product.100367440.html) - 3200/2900, listed on Costco looked interesting, not sure what "Legendary Life Time Warranty Serviced From Our HQ In Phoenix Arizona, USA" actually means , but at $549.99 including shipping the price is awesome.

-Brian

dcg9381
02-06-2018, 01:48 PM
I have a Champion - non-inverter, it's a great little generator and I haven't had a lick of problems with it. Key to having these start back up is to drain the fuel out of the carb appropriately if you're going to let them sit for a while.

I did notice in this chart that the Westinghouse, for 100 more running watts, consumers 30% more fuel.

http://primereviews.org/best-portable-camping-generators-that-are-the-quietest/

JRTJH
02-06-2018, 02:20 PM
"..., not sure what "Legendary Life Time Warranty Serviced From Our HQ In Phoenix Arizona, USA" actually means...
-Brian

You can download the operator's manual here: https://www.firmanpowerequipment.com/documentation/ It's model WO2981.

The "legendary lifetime warranty" is explained on page 29. What it says (I'm NOT a lawyer) is that parts and labor are covered for 1 year, after that, parts and technical service are provided for "lifetime". But the next sentence says, "normal wear not covered" and further down it explains that parts are only covered if installed at the service center (where labor is charged to install the free parts)... So, it sounds like some "doublespeak" to me....

It seems like there's a 1 year warranty and after that, if it breaks, you have to send it to the repair center where they'll charge you a fee to diagnose the problem and if they determine it's not "normal wear" they'll replace the part (for free) and only charge you for the labor to install the "free" part. Hmmmmm :whistling:
YMMV

TheGriz
02-06-2018, 05:25 PM

I know I know, Harbor Freight. I bought the Predator 3500 on sale for $650 last year. Last time I used it was tailgating at a football game in November. Pulled it out of the garage this past weekend and it fired up on the 1st try. Very Quiet. Now 3 years from now I may be singing a different tune but for the cost it was worth it.

I also have the Predator 3500 Invertor generator from HF...paid $699, but on-sale $679. It has been flawless for me, really is VERY quiet, and runs my 15K BTU A/C and still have lots of headroom for other TT requirements.

I personally wouldn't go with a 2KW generator, plus or minus, as it's just too marginal for a TT with A/C. YMMV... Pay attention to the other post that talks about hidden electricity draws. If you do choose a 2KW, HF also has the 2KW version invertor generator, at $649, less on sale.

FWIW...talked to a Honda representative yesterday at the Great American Outdoor Show yesterday in Harrisburg, PA. I brought up the Predator 3500 and 2000. He just stammered, and had no rationale comeback. He actually acquiesced that they are not likely to win their court case for patent infringement.

Good luck with your choice!

Regards,
Mike

sparky01
02-06-2018, 09:12 PM
I have two "stackable Champion 2000 watt generators". They power my RV without any issues. Typically we don't need air conditioning, so I only take 1 generator on most trips around Michigan. A typical day includes using it to make coffee in the morning and about an hour or two to recharge the batteries if needed (usually every 3rd day).

This past summer I noticed a "funny fan noise" on one of the generators. It was about 14 or 15 months old (2 year warranty). I sent Champion an email through their website asking what they wanted me to do. They gave me the address of a "local" repair center. I took the generator there and was told they no longer accept Champion warranty work. I contacted the CS at Champion with this information, they sent me a FedEx tag to ship it back to them in California. I boxed it up, sent it to them, they inspected the generator and sent me a new one in return. The guy I was working with said they could not identify the noise, but agreed that it wasn't normal.

Anyway, the warranty service was without a doubt, the best I've had with that kind of situation. If I were to buy new generators, they would be Champion, based on that kind of support.

As a note, Champion is introducing a new model, a 2000 watt that is constructed similar to the "suitcase generators". It may be a tad bit smaller, but doesn't appear that it will stack (although it can be coupled with a second generator). Whether Champion intends to discontinue the current "stackable style" is something I can't find the answer to. So if you're contemplating buying a second one in the future, you might keep a close eye on availability.

Also, Champion now offers a 3 year warranty on their products. Previously it was 2 years.

I'd buy Champion again without question, if that's of any value to you, I can't say......

Thanks for the information! Do you ever try to run your microwave off one unit?

Tinner12002
02-07-2018, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the information! Do you ever try to run your microwave off one unit?

I know my Honda @1600 running watts would run my microwave plus other stuff with the exception of the coffee maker, would have thought the Champion with @1700 running watts would have also run it.
Haven't tried running microwave on my new camper with it but it is a bigger microwave than my old one.

JRTJH
02-07-2018, 08:04 AM
Yes, we routinely run the coffee pot (1200 watts) or the microwave (1100 watts input power--900 watt cooking power) on one generator. To do that, I leave the refrigerator on "GAS" (not AUTO) and turn the water heater electric switch on the water heater to OFF. We've had no problems with either of our single generators powering the microwave. I might add that we alternate our generators if we're only taking one. That way we "sort of" keep the operating hours equal.

As for the previous comments about the Champion 2000 not supporting enough power to operate the microwave, I've never had that problem with either of mine. If I did, I'd search the trailer to make sure there are no "hidden power users" and if I couldn't find any, I'd contact Champion about a generator problem.

Leatherman
02-07-2018, 09:52 AM
I too have the Champion 3100W inverter. I have had it for close to 3 years now. It has never failed to start on the (normally) the 1st pull or (rarely) the 2nd pull. It runs everything in my 30A trailer (24RKPR) with no issues. The eco mode is very quiet and when boon docking no one has complained about the noise.

No matter the make/model or price point for a generator maintenance is key. I routinely run it monthly and put a draw on it with either the trailer or something else. This normally lasts about 30 minutes. I also change the oil annually unless it has a lot of hours on it and then more frequently.

I also installed one of those clocks/counters that shows the time so I can use it for maintenance tasks. That is the one thing missing from my Champion that I wish they had installed from the factory.

I always let it run dry after use and I always use NON ETHANOL gasoline in my generators. I also have a whole house Generac generator for my home and use the same maintenance schedule for it.

My only reservation about the 3100w Champion is the weight. Although I can lift it into the back of my pickup now, it seems to get heavier each time I move it :lol: . I would probably have purchased the two of the 2000W Champion units and stacked them. When boon docking in the Fall and early Spring I don't need to run the AC and they are easier to lift in and out of my truck.

I will certainly purchase Champion again and recommend that brand for cost and ease of use.

KSH
02-07-2018, 12:36 PM
I use the champion 3100 to power my house when the power is out. Runs 2 fridge, lights, microwave, etc without a problem. Runs everything in my trailer just fine.

Hodgy
02-07-2018, 02:06 PM

While looking at Champion home standby generators I came across this app for remote starting of some of the Champion portable generators. Looks like it works with the 3100 to 3500 wireless start inverter generators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBFlczvGw_U

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/products/generators/portable-generators/?fwp_portable_generator_filter_start_type=wireless-remote

sparky01
02-08-2018, 05:23 PM
Thanks for all of the advice, looks like the Champion 2000 inverter will suite our needs for now. I found it for $455.00 on Amazon and its the cheapest I've found. Any other vendors/deals I should be looking at?

Thank you

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-2000-Watt-Stackable-Portable-Generator/dp/B0041K09D8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518139352&sr=8-2&keywords=champion+2000+watt+inverter+generator

KSH
02-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Thanks for all of the advice, looks like the Champion 2000 inverter will suite our needs for now. I found it for $455.00 on Amazon and its the cheapest I've found. Any other vendors/deals I should be looking at?

Thank you

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-2000-Watt-Stackable-Portable-Generator/dp/B0041K09D8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518139352&sr=8-2&keywords=champion+2000+watt+inverter+generatorFor almost the same price I would get this if you want to run the ac in your trailer. I got it from Costco for about this same price on sale.

https://factorypure.com/products/champion-100158-2800w-3100w-portable-inverter-generator-manufacturer-rfb?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=413315923993&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_7nq3oGd2QIVkfhkCh2YZw7JEAQYAiAB EgLNUPD_BwE

nellie1289
02-10-2018, 09:29 PM
For almost the same price I would get this if you want to run the ac in your trailer. I got it from Costco for about this same price on sale.

https://factorypure.com/products/champion-100158-2800w-3100w-portable-inverter-generator-manufacturer-rfb?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=413315923993&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_7nq3oGd2QIVkfhkCh2YZw7JEAQYAiAB EgLNUPD_BwE

Totally agree. Don’t waste your money on 2000 watt

ChuckS
02-11-2018, 09:56 AM
One recommendation win your new generator is start using Seafoam mixture with your fuel right from the get go. This will keep the unit clean and you wont have to worry about winterizing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mfifield01
02-13-2018, 10:27 AM
I've bought two generators from Supergen. They are refurbished, but most of the time they are just Costco returns and never used. They have great service/support.

https://www.supergenproducts.com/catalog/p-100086/100158r-refurbished-28003100w-inverter

dcg9381
02-13-2018, 02:06 PM
Hmm.. that's a good price on an inverter gen.. $ 549.00 (2800/3100)

Cgjt
04-12-2018, 02:44 PM
Rural King (ruralking.com) is selling Champion 2000 inverters for $399 with free shipping. Bought mine the beginning of February but I think the price is still the same.

JRTJH
04-12-2018, 04:09 PM
Champion has recently introduced a new model 2000 watt generator. It is styled much the same as the Honda/Yamaha brands. I'm guessing that the new style will go on sale in the future at an introductory price, to get them into the field. While they may not be as inexpensive as the current model when on sale ($399) the new ones may be an excellent buy for anyone who doesn't need new generators right now.

I have no guarantee that Champion will sell the new models at a "bargain price", if you don't need them right now, you might consider waiting a bit to see what develops in the next month or so.

Here's the link to the new Champion: https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100306-2000-watt-inverter-generator/

It's also available in a dual fuel version: https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100402-2000-watt-dual-fuel-inverter-generator/

Hootie
04-14-2018, 08:29 AM
Champion- yes

Westinghouse - no