PDA

View Full Version : Surge Protector

TheGriz
01-28-2018, 08:14 PM
Hi folks,

The more I read, the more I'm convinced that I need to get my tail in gear and get a surge protector installed in my TT...Laredo 288RL (50amp service). I read somewhere that the following is a recommended protector...Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C Hardwire 50 Amp RV Surge Protector - W/Remote Display. The best price I found was $327 at https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Progressive-EMS-HW50C-RV-Surge-Protector-p/emshw50c.htm .

Also, looking for suggestions on specific location to install.

I'd like to purchase and have installed before we depart for our trip south in latter March.

Before I pull the trigger to order, I wanted to run past the brain trust here. Feedback appreciated!

Regards,
Mike

chuckster57
01-28-2018, 08:23 PM
I would find the junction box where the shore power comes into the trailer. Undo the connections and insert between the two sets of wires. The remote display has a long cord so you have options. Mine is sitting in a cabinet above the box.

TheGriz
01-28-2018, 08:34 PM
I would find the junction box where the shore power comes into the trailer. Undo the connections and insert between the two sets of wires. The remote display has a long cord so you have options. Mine is sitting in a cabinet above the box.

Thanks for quick response Chuck!

Would the likely spot for that junction box be in the compartment behind the breaker/fuse panel in the base of the cabinet beneath my oven in my TT? I hesitate to pull that panel as I am concerned about disturbing a likely congested "nest" of wiring.

chuckster57
01-28-2018, 08:56 PM
If your shore cord is “attached” to your trailer then the junction box will be in that space. If your shore cord “plugs into” the trailer then the junction box is most likely behind the breaker panel.

If you take the cover off the breaker panel, you’ll find 4 screws, probably Roberts head #2, that hold the panel in place. Take those out and you should be able to see the box.

TheGriz
01-28-2018, 09:12 PM
Yes...shore cord plugs into the back wall of TT. So if not too cold tomorrow, I'll take the panel out and get a look behind.

Are you familiar with the surge protector I have in the link of my original post? If so, am I getting a quality unit at the right price. Or do you have other suggestions? I do want the surge protector permanently installed in the TT.

B-O-B'03
01-28-2018, 10:49 PM
Mine is only 30 amp service but I basically did what Chuck suggested.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/285/20339515171_7f68524f49_z.jpg
Removed the load center
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3670/20307218926_7b5703b8c4_z.jpg
Cut the power cord and inserted the EMS
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/510/19710818574_fdf1f5cbfc_z.jpg
Mounted remote display on the pantry wall, which was being used as a chase way for a lot of other wires, above where the load center is.
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/308/20146834319_038cbdddfe_z.jpg

Easy Peasy.

-Brian

SummitPond
01-29-2018, 06:00 AM
...Easy Peasy. (edit: fixed quote syntax error)

I concur with Brian. I'm not the fastest in doing anything, and I put my 30A unit in in about 2 hours - the most time spent trying to fish the cable from the EMS to the display panel.

My suggestion: mount the EMS on some rubber grommets to help isolate it from whatever surface you place it on. The unit "hums" and you don't want the mounting surface to act as a sounding board.

And to "second" what others have said in other posts - it is worth the investment. The EMS has saved me at least twice: once with a CG that had swapped the hot and neutral on a new outlet (power was not allowed to the trailer at all), the other with an open ground (the EMS cut power when any high-drain device was turned on - it took me a while to figure out what was going on).

Ken

Rolling Along
01-29-2018, 06:20 AM
Yes...shore cord plugs into the back wall of TT. So if not too cold tomorrow, I'll take the panel out and get a look behind.

Are you familiar with the surge protector I have in the link of my original post? If so, am I getting a quality unit at the right price. Or do you have other suggestions? I do want the surge protector permanently installed in the TT.
I have the same unit and have one bit of advice... DON’T plug your camper in until you have it installed!

I went 16 years camping with 30 amp and never felt the need. I bought this 5th wheel with 50 amp and camped for nearly a year and didn’t feel the need. A camping friend and his wife got adamant that I had to have one and told of her sister’s experience costing approx $3000 so I reluctantly spent the money.

I could not believe it, the very next trip to a campground near Mich International Speedway it saved my wallet. That summer it saved me a total of 3 Times once at a farm shop that I had no problems on 30 amp 110volt now tried the 50 amp... It ended up being three phase just like two other campers I knew who blew every ac appliance in their campers.

Save yourself thousands of $$ by spending a couple hundred $$ now.

66joej
01-29-2018, 07:11 AM
Mounted mine like this.

TheGriz
01-29-2018, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the pictures Brian. As they say, a pic is worth a thousand words.
One of my concerns was I might get into a mess of wires behind the panel. But judging by the pics you posted, it looks quite "well packaged", with sufficient wire slack. WX looks decent today, so I will be going out to the TT after it warms up a bit to do an exploratory and take out the electrical panel.

And Ken...many thanks for the sound deadening tip!!!! Any unnecessary background hum, squeak, rattle drives me absolutely "apeschnit"!!! :bm:

Thoughts are unanimous, worth the investment, get the EMS installed ASAP!!!

Mike

Hodgy
01-29-2018, 08:16 AM
Mine is only 30 amp service but I basically did what Chuck suggested.

Removed the load center

Cut the power cord and inserted the EMS

Mounted remote display on the pantry wall, which was being used as a chase way for a lot of other wires, above where the load center is.

Easy Peasy.

-Brian

Thanks for the photos. I was going to go with the plug in one but now I am thinking I like the way you did it.

Andymil
01-29-2018, 08:17 AM
Yes that is the unit you need. The price is good. If you find it cheaper, let me know. We’re going from 30 to 50 amp so we can’t use our old one.

You should use some spacers (approximately 1/2”) to allow air to circulate around the unit. There is a large relay inside that always energized (unless there’s a problem) and it gets warm.

Hodgy
01-29-2018, 08:18 AM
I concur with Brian. I'm not the fastest in doing anything, and I put my 30A unit in in about 2 hours - the most time spent trying to fish the cable from the EMS to the display panel.

My suggestion: mount the EMS on some rubber grommets to help isolate it from whatever surface you place it on. The unit "hums" and you don't want the mounting surface to act as a sounding board.

And to "second" what others have said in other posts - it is worth the investment. The EMS has saved me at least twice: once with a CG that had swapped the hot and neutral on a new outlet (power was not allowed to the trailer at all), the other with an open ground (the EMS cut power when any high-drain device was turned on - it took me a while to figure out what was going on).

Ken

Never thought about the hum. That would drive me crazy, will have to isolate it.

Does it hum only when it is required to protect circuits or is it on all the time and hums all the time ?

Thanks.

TheGriz
01-29-2018, 08:42 AM
Well...the wiring behind my electrical panel isn't quite so neatly nested :banghead:. There is room in the compartment, but getting the angle to turn the four mounting screws will definitely be a royal pain!

Joe...nice install as well! I have my sink cabinet right there as well. Two concerns though. 1. If a leak develops in the sink area the EMS is right there!!! 2. I will have to see how easy it may be fish that main cable threw the two compartments.

JRTJH
01-29-2018, 08:56 AM
TheGriz,

From your pictures, it looks like there is a lot of room to mount the EMS on the back wall above that junction box, run the existing yellow ROMEX to the EMS and use new ROMEX to go from the EMS back to your power center. You'd "solve" two problems that way, first, no angle to negotiate with the mounting screws and second, no chance of water leaking into the unit from the adjacent sink.

You may find other locations better suited, but that back wall looks promising.

Rolling Along
01-29-2018, 09:14 AM
I mounted mine in the back where it came in. There was extra wire from the plug coming in to the hole in the floor in the cabinet so I just cut it leaving approx 18inch pigtail from the outside plug. Wired the cut ends into the EMS then fastened it to the floor. No extra wire needed! Just some manual labor. Mine doesn’t hum that I’ve noticed.

Andymil
01-29-2018, 09:37 AM
If anyone has a Progressive unit that hums too loud, they should contact Progressive. We’ve never noticed a hum from our 30 amp unit.

bfisher003
01-29-2018, 09:45 AM
If anyone has a Progressive unit that hums too loud, they should contact Progressive. We’ve never noticed a hum from our 30 amp unit.

Our 30 amp unit does not hum either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardinal96ss
01-29-2018, 11:00 AM
We have our Progressive mounted behind the breaker panel with the remote display mounted low and by the entrance door so that I see the readouts without having to get into the RV. No discernible hum from our 50 amp unit.

SummitPond
01-29-2018, 11:03 AM
... Does it hum only when it is required to protect circuits or is it on all the time and hums all the time ? ...

All the time; it wasn't a loud hum (see this link (http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23045) for and this one (http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=233714&postcount=53) for more comments) but in the quiet of the night it was there in the background, hence something to isolate it from the "sounding board" I mounted it on.

B-O-B'03
01-29-2018, 12:22 PM

I have not heard any hum from mine and it is just screwed directly to the back wall of the cabinet.

Was I lucky, anyone else have hum?

-Brian

xrated
01-29-2018, 12:43 PM
I installed mine under the bed, right next to the transfer switch. Mine doesn't hum at all, so no issues there. The only problem I had installing it was that I'm old.....and had to be a contortionist to crawl into that space and wire it. I installed the display on the carpet covered compartment that is beside the bed, that houses the water heater.

Hodgy
01-30-2018, 07:24 AM

I know how important a surge/EMS protector is and I have been looking everywhere to find the model that fits my needs and the best price I can find. Wow, they are not giving these things away.

I have looked at both Canadian and US suppliers and the prices are all over the map. The only constant is the strain on my pocketbook. A lot of the US suppliers will not ship to Canada and if a supplier uses UPS or Fedex, I will not buy from them due to the customs charges from those two. USPS is my only way to go.

The 30 AMP portable ones ranged from $137.27 to $503.76 CAD.

The 30 AMP hard wired ones ranged from $312.62 to $412.43 CAD.

JRTJH
01-30-2018, 07:33 AM
Hodgy,

Remember that an EMS and a "surge protector" are two different animals.....

A "surge protector" only protects against a voltage spike (like a lightening strike) and is very similar to the old computer electrical plug in strips. An EMS protects against voltage spikes and much more, things like low voltage, phase problems, ground problems, and more. The more things "checked" the more they cost. So, the "key" is to determine what you need/want to cover in your protection and buy a system that does that. On most EMS information sheets there is a comparison chart showing all of their models and a list of what each protects. Typically, the more things checked on the chart, the more expensive the device.

Don't think that buying a "surge protector" will give you the same kinds of protection that a more expensive EMS protector will provide.

You may not feel you need "all the covered protection" and can get by with a less comprehensive model (cheaper) or you may determine that if you're going to spend the money, might as well cover all the damage potential.

But, whatever you choose, make sure it covers what you think it covers. They are all different and it can get confusing.

Hodgy
01-30-2018, 07:43 AM

Everything I looked at was EMS. Your observations are correct, you want more than just protection a voltage spike. Low voltage (brownout) will sometimes cause more damage to sensitive components that the spike. That is why I have UPS on all of my TV's and computers. I have lived on rural power systems for over 40 years and the quality of power sometimes leaves a bit to be desired.

https://www.amazon.ca/Progressive-Industries-HW30C-Electrical-Management/dp/B002UC6RSA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517283111&sr=8-1&keywords=EMS-HW30C

https://www.amazon.ca/Progressive-Industries-EMS-PT30C-Portable-Protector/dp/B003AL23TC

JRTJH
01-30-2018, 08:03 AM
At the price differences from Amazon CA and Amazon USA, it would almost pay for itself to take a vacation "across the border" just to buy tires and a EMS.... At the least, the savings would nearly pay for the fuel for the trip.

Given the exchange rate, maybe not so much, but geez, they sure are "proud" of those EMS's "on your side of the border......

travelin texans
01-30-2018, 08:11 AM
Just a thought, if you plan to keep your current rv a long time the hardwired might be cheaper in the long run, if possibly trading get the portable.
I prefer the portable mostly because I'm too large to be crawling into the tiny space to hook it up & I plug it in & the information I'm looking for is right there, I don't have to go inside to check, by the time I've connected the water it's done it's thing & I plug in.

Hodgy
01-30-2018, 08:44 AM
Given the exchange rate, maybe not so much, but geez, they sure are "proud" of those EMS's "on your side of the border......

Solid gold, not plated.

These are not bad. Some of the stuff I see is ridiculous. Amazon.ca is a rip-off and NAFTA does not help the common Canuck at all.

rogeru
01-30-2018, 05:22 PM
Progressive Industries makes a very solid product. We use the "portable" one at the electric source. But, make sure you lock it up with a chain & lock. Nice target for a thief ....

TheGriz
01-30-2018, 08:44 PM
TheGriz,

From your pictures, it looks like there is a lot of room to mount the EMS on the back wall above that junction box, run the existing yellow ROMEX to the EMS and use new ROMEX to go from the EMS back to your power center. You'd "solve" two problems that way, first, no angle to negotiate with the mounting screws and second, no chance of water leaking into the unit from the adjacent sink.

You may find other locations better suited, but that back wall looks promising.

John,

I agree the back wall would be the easiest place to mount the EMS. However that is the inside of the outside wall. My understanding the outside walls are only 1/8" lauan on each side. I don't know the weight of the unit, guessing though that it is not insignificant. Do you believe the lauan would be adequate for mounting the EMS given the vibration and shock impact it would be subjected?

Thanks,
Mike

JRTJH
01-30-2018, 08:50 PM
Mine is mounted to the inside of the back wall. There is an aluminum spar that runs vertically adjacent to the electrical connector for the shore power. I used that aluminum spar to anchor 2 of the screws and used the luan to anchor the other two. My Progressive weighs about 2 pounds, it won't budge. If you can locate that spar or another and anchor one side of your EMS to it, you'll never have to worry about it working loose. You should be able to locate the spar by finding the row of 23 ga staples holding the luan to the back wall structure.

Hodgy
01-31-2018, 01:46 PM

Has anyone installed this surge protector ?

https://www.amazon.ca/Surge-Guard-35530-Hardwire-Model/dp/B01BDWQL8S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1517432419&sr=8-6&keywords=surge+guard+30+amp

B-O-B'03
01-31-2018, 02:34 PM
I have no idea about the warranty on that one, but I know the progressive unit has a lifetime warranty.

Mine was displaying the line voltage a little lower than what my multi-meter was showing and Progressive sent me a replacement board.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4705/28232235689_2a92799e5f_z.jpg

-Brian

PARAPTOR
01-31-2018, 02:53 PM

Has anyone installed this surge protector ?

https://www.amazon.ca/Surge-Guard-35530-Hardwire-Model/dp/B01BDWQL8S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1517432419&sr=8-6&keywords=surge+guard+30+amp

Think few of us us the Surge Guard, both hardwired and portable, and I know of no issues, mine been in for about three years. In my case I have an on board generator and I think surge guard is the only one that makes a single unit to protect both. A search on the forum will bring up many posts on different protectors, installation options, etc The key is these are a MUST, each type has their own pros and cons.

Added: My remote monitor is basically the same as you have referenced

Hodgy
01-31-2018, 03:00 PM

Been busy trying to find a good one that I don't have to mortgage my house to buy.

Like someone said earlier on this post, us Canucks "sure are proud" of our surge protectors up here North of 49'.

PARAPTOR
01-31-2018, 03:19 PM
Believe me we all look up to our protection devices, worth their weight in Gold !!

JRTJH
01-31-2018, 03:21 PM
Do a forum search for the TRC Surge Protector/EMS systems. There are a couple of members who reported complaints that the manufacturer doesn't support their system after the warranty, so if you buy one and have a problem with a lightening strike in 4 or 5 years, you've got to buy another system, yours is no longer covered by the warranty. With Progressive, there is a lifetime warranty, so if you have a problem in 4 or 5 years, they'll send you a new unit..... Something to consider if you're planning to own your trailer for a while or if you're planning to use it with your next trailer too......

Hodgy
01-31-2018, 03:28 PM

That's good because right now Progressive 30 AMP is the cheapest hardwire unit I can find with a remote monitor.

And yes, you get what you pay for.

I used to work with a guy whose favourite saying was . . .

"Never time to do it right, always time to do it again"

sourdough
01-31-2018, 04:16 PM
I've got the 50A Surge Guard from TRC. I've never had any issues with it and it's saved my bacon many times. I don't know what the warranty is but if it died I would buy another one - probably a Progressive but they only had the Surge Guard when I went in to get one and I wasn't going to wait until they got the other in or for one to be ordered.

rhagfo
01-31-2018, 04:29 PM
At the price differences from Amazon CA and Amazon USA, it would almost pay for itself to take a vacation "across the border" just to buy tires and a EMS.... At the least, the savings would nearly pay for the fuel for the trip.

Solid gold, not plated.

These are not bad. Some of the stuff I see is ridiculous. Amazon.ca is a rip-off and NAFTA does not help the common Canuck at all.

Could the price be a combination of exchange rate and GST & PST?

Hodgy
01-31-2018, 04:49 PM
Could the price be a combination of exchange rate and GST & PST?

Yes that is all in there and accounts for most of the cost.

But, whoever runs the .ca site believes that we are still colonials and the hewers of wood and haulers of water.

I don't live in a quinzhee, don't go to the trading post with a dog team and I have indoor plumbing. I get tired of being handed the $hitty end of the stick.

PARAPTOR
01-31-2018, 05:37 PM
I've got the 50A Surge Guard from TRC. I've never had any issues with it and it's saved my bacon many times. I don't know what the warranty is but if it died I would buy another one - probably a Progressive but they only had the Surge Guard when I went in to get one and I wasn't going to wait until they got the other in or for one to be ordered.

X2........... Would buy surge guard again! Have to, do not think Progressive makes a unit to meet my needs :popcorn::popcorn: Yes there are post posts about warranties, do not think it is as straight forward as some may think. Fine print seems to come into play :banghead:

Hodgy
02-02-2018, 06:00 AM

After 3 or 4 days of trolling around the web and calling local dealers, here is the cheapest hardwired one I could find. It is from Amazon.ca and is supplied out of Nova Scotia. $309.99 CAD.

https://www.amazon.ca/Progressive-Industries-HW30C-Electrical-Management/dp/B002UC6RSA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517283111&sr=8-1&keywords=EMS-HW30C

TheGriz
02-02-2018, 07:05 AM

After 3 or 4 days of trolling around the web and calling local dealers, here is the cheapest hardwired one I could find. It is from Amazon.ca and is supplied out of Nova Scotia. $309.99 CAD.

Be aware that is the 30amp version in the link, not the 50amp version that I have been referencing in this thread.

Notwithstanding, actually at a conversion of $1C to $1US of 0.81, the cost for the 30 amp version in US$ at the above referenced site is $251.10. RVUpgrades.com has that beat at $246.40 US$. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Energy-Management-System-30-Amp-p/emshw30c.htm

Regards,
Mike

Hodgy
02-02-2018, 07:11 AM

That is what I need 30 AMP.

I avoid buying anything from a supplier in the US that uses UPS or Fedex. Their customs charges are sky high.

TheGriz
02-02-2018, 07:41 AM

That is what I need 30 AMP.

I avoid buying anything from a supplier in the US that uses UPS or Fedex. Their customs charges are sky high.

Gotcha! Dang shipping gets you...eh!

Brentw
02-02-2018, 06:08 PM
Been following, want to get a hard wired 50, may have to eat amazon CA high prices, can't find a better deal.

Hodgy
02-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Been following, want to get a hard wired 50, may have to eat amazon CA high prices, can't find a better deal.

.CA are crooks . . . . . .

kcamp99186
02-04-2018, 10:02 AM
I installed the 30 amp unit last fall. Install was about 45 minutes. My TT has a junction box in a cabinet where the power cord comes in. I simply removed it and inserted the surge unit in it's place. Mine mounted to the floor which is carpeted so I've noticed no hum. It did however trip when I first plugged the TT in to shore power. Error codes showed reverse polarity. Opened it back up and everything was connected correctly. Powered back up and it again tripped out. Checked the homemade extension cord I was using and surprise, the plug end was incorrectly wired. Correcting that fixed the issue and this unit has already saved me once for an under voltage situation. Great investment.

tdawg
02-04-2018, 03:41 PM
TRC surge guard portable smoked my t.v. convection microwave. Our friends did the exact samething. Surge guard sent us the new model free of charge and paid our insurance deductable. i use it to plug into power power box let it do it's power check then i unplug it and plug in camper. just my experience.

IRV2
02-04-2018, 08:58 PM
All this surge protector talk made me go to CW and take a look around. They had a clearance on 50 amp Surge Guard for 144.00 so I grabbed it and put it in. I plugged my trailer back in the house. My 50 amp cord is adapted down to the household plug and everything worked fine. I was a little nervous but it worked.

*Not sure why the pics are rotated.

Hodgy
02-05-2018, 07:33 AM
All this surge protector talk made me go to CW and take a look around. They had a clearance on 50 amp Surge Guard for 144.00 so I grabbed it and put it in. I plugged my trailer back in the house. My 50 amp cord is adapted down to the household plug and everything worked fine. I was a little nervous but it worked.

Wow, $144, wish I could find a deal like that.

Tinner12002
02-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Just courious, but wouldn't you want one that will detect, open neutrals and low voltage, similar to the EMS-PT50C and not just one that prevents a power surge, more overall protection?? I know that model isn't hard wired but I'm sure they or other brands have them for hard wire situation.

Tinner12002
02-05-2018, 12:30 PM
Just seen this one on Ebay, its priced at $256.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322153804768?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Andymil
02-05-2018, 01:44 PM
Just seen this one on Ebay, its priced at $256.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322153804768?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

That’s a good price. That model doesn’t have the remote display.

Brentw
02-05-2018, 05:36 PM
Hodgy, I'm checking on shipping to Canada, will advise.

Hodgy
02-05-2018, 06:15 PM
hodgy, i'm checking on shipping to canada, will advise.

k

ok

Brentw
02-05-2018, 08:59 PM
From rv safety.

Dear 1jicase,

Hi,

We so ship via USPS to Canada. The shipping charge is $44.99.

Safe Travels.

Matt

- rvsafetyaccessoriesinc

Hodgy
02-06-2018, 07:23 AM
From rv safety.

Dear 1jicase,

Hi,

We so ship via USPS to Canada. The shipping charge is $44.99.

Safe Travels.

Matt

- rvsafetyaccessoriesinc

Thanks Matt.

So it is $269.00 + 44.99 = $313.99 USD which = $393.20 CAD
Still a fair amount of money.

The cheapest I found was from Amazon.ca, $306.53 CAD with free shipping, sourced out of Nova Scotia.

I won't be installing it until April so I will just keep watching for a bit and see if anything else comes up.

Did I mention, I am cheap !

Tinner12002
02-06-2018, 07:53 AM
Here's the same one for $229 on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EMS-HW30C-RV-Electrical-Management-System-Hardwire-30A-w-l-Remote-Display/181439294148?epid=1611833304&hash=item2a3e9feac4:g:Mj0AAMXQEbdRnDp5&vxp=mtr

Rolling Along
02-06-2018, 08:04 AM
Did I mention, I am cheap !

So was I and didn’t have the money on hand right when the friend thot I needed to buy it NOW. Plus, 16+ years without one. How could I possibly go wrong if I waited another year. Thankfully he was more bull headed then I! Very next 3 trips it saved me. I asked him how he knew I was going to need it.

Two refrigerators, two converters, a tv (since I would not have replaced it as I don’t use it) two micro waves, plus what else would have burnt up in two situations? The other was low voltage so maybe not as critical? The Progressive Dynamics EMS looks like peanuts now. Another friend who also hooked up to 3phase unknowingly said it cost him over $3000. I’m still the cheap one as he paid lots more then I did.

Hodgy
02-06-2018, 08:14 AM
Here's the same one for $229 on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EMS-HW30C-RV-Electrical-Management-System-Hardwire-30A-w-l-Remote-Display/181439294148?epid=1611833304&hash=item2a3e9feac4:g:Mj0AAMXQEbdRnDp5&vxp=mtr

Does not ship to Canada !

travelin texans
02-06-2018, 08:16 AM
My advice is save the $144 on the minimum protection til you save the other half for maximum protection.

Hodgy
02-06-2018, 08:21 AM
So was I and didn’t have the money on hand right when the friend thot I needed to buy it NOW. Plus, 16+ years without one. How could I possibly go wrong if I waited another year.

The Progressive Dynamics EMS looks like peanuts now.

I think you misunderstand me, I have the money to buy it now, I just want the very best price for the same item.

I will be getting one this spring before hitting the road. It is cheap insurance.

Right now I have snow on the driveway, a glacier in my back yard and this morning it was -10 F. No rush to freeze my digits doing this upgrade.

I guess it comes back to costs that the manufacturers don't install them before sale.

Hodgy
02-06-2018, 08:23 AM
My advice is save the $144 on the minimum protection til you save the other half for maximum protection.

That has me confused, can you please explain what I am missing ?

Rolling Along
02-06-2018, 11:03 AM
I guess it comes back to costs that the manufacturers don't install them before sale.

I too think now that it should be a standard item from the factory. I got mine from a friend who bought it for his new motor home only to discover it came from the factory with one. He and his wife insisted I needed it and sold theirs, still in the box to me on the spot. First time they saw my new rig.

travelin texans
02-06-2018, 03:27 PM
Sorry misreading, thought they said it was only "surge" protection not the EMS.

ctbruce
02-07-2018, 07:50 PM
Sounds like a trip south of the 49th is due this spring to buy one and install it before heading back. Most have said it's an way install.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tinner12002
02-08-2018, 03:28 AM
Does not ship to Canada !

Just courious, what if someone in Northern US accepts one that you pay for with free shipping and then forwards it on up to you...is that an option? Maybe someone in WA or MT to minimize US shipping.

Hodgy
02-08-2018, 06:10 AM
Just courious, what if someone in Northern US accepts one that you pay for with free shipping and then forwards it on up to you...is that an option? Maybe someone in WA or MT to minimize US shipping.

Yes that would work. I have a drop box at Sweetgrass MT that I use for stuff that US companies will not ship internationally. It is called Montana Shipping Outlet, they have one in Eureka also. I have had it for 5 years and used it twice.

http://www.montanashipping.com/montana-shipping-sweetgrass/

They charge $5 per transaction up to 50 lbs. Their facility is located about 1/4 mile from the border. There a bunch of buildings located in the same yard, MS, UPS, FEDEX, USPS, MTS, USF & Con-way.

All of these companies exchange packages across the parking lot using trucks, trailers and hand carts.

You substitute their unique address for yours when ordering and when it arrives at Sweetgrass they send you a email advising you. I normally ride the Goldwing down there as I am going for a ride anyway. Pure travel time Bragg Creek to Sweetgrass is 4 hours one way depending on how hard I twist the wick.

These drop box outlets are all along the 49th from Manitoba to BC and do a land office business. My BIL in Winnipeg is into cars and he orders most of his parts from the US and picks them up at Noyes MN.

On the lower mainland there are plenty of businesses that travel daily to Blaine WA and use USPS to mail parcels back into Canada because it is cheaper. Does that make any sense ?

Well that was a long explanation to a short question.

Even the cheapest Progressive one you guys have found at $246.40 USD converts to $309.41 CAD. That is same price as the one on Amazon.ca that ships out of Nova Scotia.

I am not pulling the trigger as yet and will still be looking for sales and whatnot.
If I can find one cheaper, then a bike ride to Sweetgrass will be in order.

CWSWine
02-08-2018, 08:00 AM
I'm a believer in using the pole mounted Progressive EMS and keep the termination point of the light strike outside my RV and away from the fuse panel. A few years ago when my progress took a surge from a lightning strike it jumped from the Progressive to the service pole a space of about 12 inches and I don't want that happening inside my RV and that close to my main fuse panel. Progressive replace it free of charge and the one I sent in was not repairable.

Oldnavy59
02-10-2018, 05:20 PM
What's the advantage of either portable or hardwired

chuckster57
02-10-2018, 05:28 PM

Both have their advantages. I prefer hardwired as I don’t have to think about it. Just plug in and keep setting up. 120 second delay so when it does power up things are all good. I have remote display so at anytime I can look and see how many volts are being supplied and how many amps I am using without getting dressed. Any problem is also displayed.

Disadvantage is when you sell/trade, you either have to let it go or deal with removal.

Portable, you plug into the pedestal and plug your trailer into it. When you sell/trade you keep it for the next one. Either way SOMETHING is better than nothing.

Oldnavy59
02-10-2018, 05:43 PM
Is there a way to keep the portable one from getting stolen

Oldnavy59
02-10-2018, 05:56 PM
What keeps the portable one from being stolen

sourdough
02-10-2018, 06:44 PM
My portable obviously plugs into the ped; it then plugs into my RV power cord that plugs into the trailer. At the junction of the surge protector cord and the RV cord I have a factory made enclosure that covers the plugged connectors with a padlock on it. You cannot unplug the protector from the RV cable without protracted effort. The only options are to cut the cables; work on getting into the protective cover/padlock or take the entire RV cable/surge protector assembly. I'm happy. In 4 years I've not even had a hint of a problem.

chuckster57
02-10-2018, 06:46 PM
What keeps the portable one from being stolen

There are locks that cover the trailer cord and the outlet side of the EMS. I suppose if someone wanted it bad enough they could cut your shore cord and then when they got to another location they can take the time to dismantle the locking device.

Hodgy
02-10-2018, 07:45 PM
There are locks that cover the trailer cord and the outlet side of the EMS. I suppose if someone wanted it bad enough they could cut your shore cord and then when they got to another location they can take the time to dismantle the locking device.

Cutting the shore power cord is just God's way of thinning the shallow end of the gene pool, IMO.

chuckster57
02-10-2018, 07:47 PM
Cutting the shore power cord is just God's way of thinning the shallow end of the gene pool, IMO.

If it’s plugged in.

KSH
02-10-2018, 08:14 PM
There are locks that cover the trailer cord and the outlet side of the EMS. I suppose if someone wanted it bad enough they could cut your shore cord and then when they got to another location they can take the time to dismantle the locking device.Anyone have a picture or a link to this thing?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

chuckster57
02-10-2018, 08:38 PM
Here you go. May have to scroll down
https://rvpower.southwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/SW-SurgeGuard-brochure-v18.pdf

sourdough
02-10-2018, 08:54 PM
Thanks Chuckster! I didn't have to go find it. The cover is about 2/3? of the way down on the right with the padlock on it.

Tinner12002
02-11-2018, 05:56 AM
I have a smaller cable attached to mine that I wrap around the pedestal and lock with a padlock. Just protection to help keep honest people honest I guess. I always plug in the box and let it run its deal while I'm retrieving ext cord from the garage. This what I use,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Amp-Portable-Surge-Protector-EMS-PT50C-for-RV-Travel-Trailers-Motorhomes/282059432637?hash=item41ac0d62bd:g:J9gAAOSwvApaBMB I&vxp=mtr

KSH
02-11-2018, 08:27 AM
Thanks. Found it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002OUQI3W/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518366401&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=surge+guard+universal+lock+hasp&dpPl=1&dpID=41Nb8-XmFoL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

CWSWine
02-11-2018, 09:01 AM

The biggest advantage that I see is if lighting comes down the powerline the millions of volts is terminated outside your RV at the power pedestal. The internal it terminates inside the RM and can arch to fuse panel or other RV wiring and cause lots of damage or fire. The normal power up and down the internal is fine. My Progressive showed burn marks on the outside of the case when it arched back to the power pedestal during a lighting strick and don't want that happening inside my RV. I suggest you unplug during storms but when summer storm hits at 2:00 in the morning at the temps were in the 90's it can catch you by surprise

If you walk through a park you see lots of surge protectors not secured so I don't think its big problem. I did have a case that went around the Progressive and cable to lock it and most of the time I didn't take the time or effort to use it and never had one stolen.

travelin texans
02-11-2018, 09:26 AM
I've had my portable for about 12 years, 3 rvs & used daily for the last 10 years & have never once locked it down & it has never sprouted legs & walked away. I prefer the portable as it also shows the info on the front of the unit & by the time I've got the rest of stuff hooked up its done its thing & can see the voltages without going inside.
The main thing is regardless of which you choose, just GET ONE!

TheGriz
02-19-2018, 05:13 PM
Looks like I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow, and order the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C Electrical Management System - Hardwire 50A W Digital Remote Display.

I found the best price so far at tweetys.com $303.99 shipped to the door.
http://tweetys.com/electrical-management-system-hardwire-50.aspx

Has anyone dealt with Tweetys.com? Good or bad experiences?

Thanks,
Mike

Hodgy
02-19-2018, 05:32 PM
Good price from Tweetys, to bad they don't ship to Canada for free.

TheGriz
02-19-2018, 05:36 PM
Good price from Tweetys, to bad they don't ship to Canada for free.

I was thinking of my friends north of the border. You get killed up there.

SummitPond
02-20-2018, 06:49 AM
... Has anyone dealt with Tweetys.com? Good or bad experiences? ...

Mike

We ordered our 30 amp equivalent of yours through Amazon, but it was filled by Tweetys. At the time (last April) our unit cost $224.85 with free shipping.

No negative issues what-so-ever.

Ken

TheGriz
02-20-2018, 11:45 AM
Mike

We ordered our 30 amp equivalent of yours through Amazon, but it was filled by Tweetys. At the time (last April) our unit cost $224.85 with free shipping.

No negative issues what-so-ever.

Ken
Thanks Ken. I just ordered directly from Tweety's...50amp hardwired with remote display $303.99 to the door.

I had a little issue with their phone answering system. Took me three tries to talk to a human. But I did get through. First thing I mentioned was the phone issue. Tom, the guy that answered, was most appreciative for the feedback.

Hitting 61 degrees here today in the Poconos!!! :bdance:

SummitPond
02-20-2018, 02:05 PM
... I just ordered directly from Tweety's...50amp hardwired with remote display ...

Hitting 61 degrees here today in the Poconos!!! :bdance:

Good luck with the install. It was straightforward and relatively easy. For the 30A unit it was straightforward; I suspect for the 50A unit you will have two current sensing loops (versus the one for me). Let us know how you fare with your install.

82 degrees this afternoon in NE FL. I shudder to think what spring will be like. February is usually a bitter, cold month (maybe not by your standards, though), but not so this winter.

Ductape
02-20-2018, 02:30 PM
I have the 30 amp hard wired Progressive unit with remote display. The first trip out with it, it dropped us off the CGs grid a half dozen times for low voltage. before I had an EMS, ignorance was bliss I guess. ;)

I will never own another TT without one. And.... we have not been back to that CG.

Andymil
02-21-2018, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered a HW50C from Tweety’s online today. No problems.

TheGriz
02-23-2018, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered a HW50C from Tweety’s online today. No problems.

Good deal!!! Good luck with install. My EMS is to be delivered Monday. So I know what my project in the Laredo is next week.

gearhead
02-24-2018, 09:46 AM
I ordered a PullRite 5th wheel hitch from Tweetys Friday. Best price I could find. My Mom & Pop RV shop said they couldn't buy it themselves for that price.
I've bought cabover tie downs from them as well.
No issues yet.

TheGriz
02-24-2018, 03:17 PM
I ordered a PullRite 5th wheel hitch from Tweetys Friday. Best price I could find. My Mom & Pop RV shop said they couldn't buy it themselves for that price.
I've bought cabover tie downs from them as well.
No issues yet.

The 50amp EMS got here today!!! Best price by far, and quick delivery. So thumbs up to Tweety's!

Regards,
Mike

chuckster57
02-24-2018, 03:49 PM
Now the fun of installation.

TheGriz
02-24-2018, 04:10 PM
Now the fun of installation.

Yep. Time to turn these creaky 61 y/o bones into a contortionist!!!

I think I am going to go through the partition between the elecrical compartment under the oven and into the the sink cabinet, just inside the back door of TT. A couple 1" holes should do the trick. That area seems more accessible, by opening the cabinet door.

Mike

chuckster57
02-24-2018, 06:03 PM
If you can remove the breaker panel, there may be enough room to mount it there. Since it’s 50A, you probably have a twist lock connection for the shore cord. There will be a run of Romex from the back side of that to the breaker panel. Cut the wires and you should have enough to wire both sides of the EMS. Remote display should have a long “phone cord” that should allow you options.

TheGriz
02-24-2018, 06:52 PM
If you can remove the breaker panel, there may be enough room to mount it there. Since it’s 50A, you probably have a twist lock connection for the shore cord. There will be a run of Romex from the back side of that to the breaker panel. Cut the wires and you should have enough to wire both sides of the EMS. Remote display should have a long “phone cord” that should allow you options.

Chuck...yes there is room behind the electrical panel. Just too congested for my liking. See my pictures previously posted on the thread...post #14. If I need to tend to the EMS for any reason in future, I really don't want to mess with that's rats nest any more than I have to.

Hence, the reason I plan to go through the partition on the right side of that electrical compartment and into the cupboard under the sink. It's wide open and future maintenance would have much easier access. And it eliminates disturbing any wires connecting to back of breaker/fuse panel.

I'll check in and let everyone know how it works out.

Thanks for all your, and everyone else's, help throughout this thread!!!

Mike

chuckster57
02-24-2018, 07:03 PM
Yup, post pics please.

Brentw
02-25-2018, 12:44 PM
I was fortunate in that they mounted my transfer switch on the front wall of the pass thru bay. I was able to pull the load lines out, connect to EMS, Mount it to the ceiling and add 18 inches of new cable back into the transfer switch.
Was as easy as it gets, well laying on your back in the pass thru and bending #6 into small plastic boxes. But I'm sure there is worse spots.
First one is view from drivers side, second from passenger side. The remote is mounted on one of the beams in the cabinet, don't expect use it except when hooking up or if there is an issue.

Hodgy
02-25-2018, 01:03 PM
Nice install, thanks for the photos.

TheGriz
03-01-2018, 12:13 PM
Here are the pics of the installation of the PI 50amp Hardwired EMS with remote. First picture shows the rats nest of wires behind electrical panel.

See the holes drilled from the electrical panel compartment under the oven, and into the base cabinet on the right. A couple pics of the work in process, and the final zipped up product.

BTW...there was a false wall on the right that is re-installed in pic showing final EMS install.

Lastly, a few pics of the remote install and routing of remote wire, with the help of a few dabs of hot glue.

For the effort report, see my previous report on this thread, post #12: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=275139#post275139

SummitPond
03-01-2018, 02:24 PM
Mike

Nice job. It's Interesting how the "guts" of the 50A unit are similar looking to the 30A unit.

Ken

WanderOne
03-01-2018, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know about the problem with EMS-HW50C and it not working with anything but the Honda Generator? I was just talking with support about the install and they said that if you use anything other than a Honda Generator the EMS throws E9 (data link down) error code. And they say there is no way around it. I asked about bypass and they said they can not recommend that for Liability reasons. Anyone have experience with this as I was looking at getting a Champion 3100watt / inverter generator for the same price as the 2000watt Honda as I could then run 1 AC.

:(

mikz86ta
03-01-2018, 03:52 PM
I was fortunate in that they mounted my transfer switch on the front wall of the pass thru bay. I was able to pull the load lines out, connect to EMS, Mount it to the ceiling and add 18 inches of new cable back into the transfer switch.
Was as easy as it gets, well laying on your back in the pass thru and bending #6 into small plastic boxes. But I'm sure there is worse spots.
First one is view from drivers side, second from passenger side. The remote is mounted on one of the beams in the cabinet, don't expect use it except when hooking up or if there is an issue.
This very similar to our Fuzion 420. We have appears to be the 50A plug above our water connection box, lines travel to the big black box and also over to our Inverter. I was thinking of doing what you did. Mount the surge protector upside down up top. Then adding or curing off extra stock wiring to go to the big black box.
Did you buy extra wire? What gague for 50a?

Brentw
03-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Nice job thegriz,

Brentw
03-01-2018, 05:16 PM
6-3 to carry 50 amp.

TheGriz
03-01-2018, 07:43 PM
Thanks Brent. And yes 6-3 for 50 amp.

I disconnected the existing 6-3 romex from the back of the electrical panel and ran that directly to the EMS. Then I bought an additional 5 foot of 6-3 romex from HD. Stuffs not cheap...$3.17/foot if I'm not mistaking.

If I were to install the EMS in the same compartment of the electrical box under the oven, I probably had enough slack to simply cut the existing romex at the appropriate spot and put the EMS between the cut. But that would have been more of a challenge than I wanted to take on, mounting the EMS in the confines of that space.

Mike

Bostongone
03-01-2018, 08:22 PM
The picture of the 50 amp surge protector in post #105 clearly shows the three 6 gauge wires connected on each side but what is the gauge of the bare copper ground wire secured to the green bonding posts on each end? So should it be 6-3 with ground or is that assumed as in 12-2 and 14-2 common Romex with ground?

bobbecky
03-01-2018, 09:33 PM
I installed our 50 amp EMS a while back and also got about 5 feet of the 3-6 cable. The bare ground wire is #8 copper. Instead of using the crimp eyelets for the ground wire that were provided, I used setscrew eyelet connectors I purchase at Lowes where I got the cable. I was fortunate that our power center is high on the wall above the toilet, and there is a huge space behind the power center.

johnsoa2
11-26-2019, 08:07 PM
Good evening, We are the proud owners of a 25Res up from a 30amp Passport. We had a plug in surge/ems, but after reading this post decided to go with the hardwired 50amp EMS Progressive. The dealer called tonight and said it would take 4 hours of labor to install it. Does this sound accurate??

JRTJH
11-26-2019, 08:50 PM
Depending on how it's installed, it could take as little as 45 minutes. If it's a "difficult custom installation" maybe 2 or 3 hours. If there's any cabinet work or rebuilding, then maybe more time for that. It sounds like your dealer is expecting to make $500 or more on the install ??? That seems quite a bit if it's a simple install behind the power center...

travelin texans
11-26-2019, 08:50 PM
Good evening, We are the proud owners of a 25Res up from a 30amp Passport. We had a plug in surge/ems, but after reading this post decided to go with the hardwired 50amp EMS Progressive. The dealer called tonight and said it would take 4 hours of labor to install it. Does this sound accurate??

At $100-150 an hour ($400-600 = 1 1/2 to 2 times the surge protector price) labor to install the hardwired, if I couldn't install it myself I'd have to go with the portable & pay the few bucks difference in the two devices.

sourdough
11-27-2019, 08:04 AM

I've followed this thread in fits and starts but don't recall what would convince you that you needed to go from a plug in to a hardwired unit. If you have the plug in I would forget paying anyone $500 to dump it and have the hard wired unit installed. If you don't have the plug in any longer I would just buy another one and forget having the hardwired unit for that price. If you are dead set on the hardwire unit take the time to see what it would involve and maybe the folks on the forum can walk you through it. It just doesn't make sense to me to pay almost double (and I'm sure it will be by the time they give you the actual price) for the installation. I've used our portable for many years and never had an issue of any kind with it.

bobbecky
11-27-2019, 11:09 AM
The biggest advantage, that I can see, having the hardwired over the portable plugin EMS is, the hardwired unit will see your inside feed cable up to the EMS unit all the way out to the pedestal and beyond, where the portable unit will only see the pedestal and the electric feeding it. We had a broken ground prong on our shore cable several years ago, and the EMS would not turn on because it couldn't see the ground. If we had the portable style EMS, it would not have seen the missing ground and would have turned on the power and this could have caused a dangerous situation not having the trailer grounded electrically.

johnsoa2
11-27-2019, 05:09 PM
Good evening,
So, did you actually have to remove the oven? Our dealer is trying to convince us they will have to pull the oven(which doesn't seem like that big of a deal) to justify 4 hours of labor to install. I provided your suggestion of installing to under sink cabinet...he really liked that idea! We've done a lot of DIY, but nothing "professional" and when I see "electric" I think 'licensed." Still contemplating doing the job ourselves.....

JRTJH
11-27-2019, 06:02 PM
The Progressive EMS comes with an outstanding set if EXPLICIT instructions.

Installation in your trailer would include removing 4 screws to pull the power center out of the cabinet, disconnecting the ROMEX cable inputs (4) and installing them on the EMS input, then buying a 2 or 3 foot section of 6 ga ROMEX, connecting that to the EMS output and attaching the other end of those wires to the connectors where you disconnected the OEM cable. Push the power center back into the cabinet hole and screw those 4 screws back into the power center to secure it to the mount.

After that, plug in the trailer, verify that everything works and open an adult beverage...

Total time, for a "never done it before" user: Probably 1.5 hours.

If you're relatively handy with tools, know the difference in a phillips and a common screwdriver, then "you got this".....

PS: There is NO need to remove the stove..... All the work is done through the 1'x1' hole under the stove where the power center is removed.....

ATLHammer
05-28-2020, 01:59 PM
Hey everyone, I'm posting here because it seems to be the best thread on the subject so I thought I'd continue the flow of information in one spot.

We're new to RV'ing and recently purchased a 19ft TT last Wednesday on 5/20. We've been researching like crazy and buying up all sorts of accessories which lead me to EMS devices. I originally purchased a normal surge protector but quickly decided that wasn't enough and haven't even opened the box. I then purchased a portable Southwire 34931 and wireless display and those got here yesterday (they look great btw). However, after more reading I'm now convinced that a hardwired EMS is the way to go because of the chance of theft. I feel like we have enough to worry about when traveling, we don't need to always be thinking about properly locking up the EMS at the pp.

I'm leaning towards the Southwire 35530 (https://rvpower.southwire.com/products/hardwired-surge-protection/30a-hardwire-model-35530/) and Display (https://rvpartssource.com/trc-40300) over the PI HW30C (https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw30c). mainly because of the display. I actually like the wireless display from the portable Southwire unit the best but that's not an option with the hardwired unit. I know focusing on the display probably isn't what I should be doing but once the main unit has been installed, that's what we'll be seeing on a constant basis.

It sounds like many love the PI lifetime warranty but it seems Southwire now has one as well. From what I gather they're both solid units and I probably can't go wrong either way but does anyone have direct experience with each unit and/or company to give opinions on? I appreciate any and all info!

sourdough
05-28-2020, 02:13 PM
I use a portable 50A Surge Guard from Southwire. Used it for 6 seasons so far without any issue at all. Progressive had the upper hand with the lifetime warranty but Southwire stepped up and offers the same thing. I've called them a couple of times about piddly things and they are helpful. They also have good documentation along with what I consider a little more user friendly interfaces. IMO you can't go wrong with one.

I've never had an issue with the EMS walking off or anyone even getting close to it for that matter (might be that 454 Casull strapped on my hip.....just kidding) so theft has not been a problem or concern for me. I'm also not inclined to go to the trouble of installing the hardwired unit, keep it for a few years, let it go when I get a new trailer then do it all again. The new remotes from Southwire make the portable even nicer IMO and I will be upgrading to that.

wiredgeorge
05-28-2020, 02:14 PM
I have a PI and have used the warranty when my previous unit died; they promptly sent a replacement at no charge. Not sure about Southwire as I haven't heard anyone using this line of products... do some research around because Lifetime Warranty may be good but getting the company to honor it is even better. I have the PI that mounts to the pedestal and haven't had any issues with theft; I have a little bicycle lock that goes around the pedestal and through a ring that goes around the cord from plug to box and although this isn't much of a deterrent, it keeps casual sticky fingers from just walking off with the EMS.

JRTJH
05-28-2020, 03:49 PM
Both Surge Guard and Progressive have a "limited lifetime warranty". It may seem "ironic" but they are designed to prevent a voltage spike/surge/lightening strike. If they do, then both company's warranty states that "the unit has served its purpose (to sacrifice itself to save the equipment) and the warranty does not apply to a replacement unit...

So, yes, both have a "lifetime warranty" but do not cover damage from a voltage surge.

That said, they both are "priceless" when it comes to the alternative of replacing your entire electrical system in a modern RV.

cavediver
05-28-2020, 03:58 PM
I have the hard wired PI. I have the display mounted in an inconspicuous place, I look at it occasionally. If I would sell the trailer it would be easy enough to remove if I thought it would be necessary. I've not had a problem with it. I was at a park were the voltage dropped to 109 volts but it never made it to the threshold to shut it down.

mikz86ta
05-29-2020, 08:10 AM
We chose the Bulldog 50a unit that plugs into the power pole. It has a metal tab ring attached to the wire cable extension, so a cable lock is what we put around it and the pole. Would take a very determined person to get it. It also has Bluetooth and a phone App for alerts and monitoring. Also these have a replaceable card inside if it ever gets hit hard. I guess some of these are junked and whole unit is replaced in that event.

Hope this helps

LewisB
05-29-2020, 10:34 AM
Hey everyone, I'm posting here because it seems to be the best thread on the subject so I thought I'd continue the flow of information in one spot.

We're new to RV'ing and recently purchased a 19ft TT last Wednesday on 5/20. We've been researching like crazy and buying up all sorts of accessories which lead me to EMS devices. I originally purchased a normal surge protector but quickly decided that wasn't enough and haven't even opened the box. I then purchased a portable Southwire 34931 and wireless display and those got here yesterday (they look great btw). However, after more reading I'm now convinced that a hardwired EMS is the way to go because of the chance of theft. I feel like we have enough to worry about when traveling, we don't need to always be thinking about properly locking up the EMS at the pp.

I'm leaning towards the Southwire 35530 (https://rvpower.southwire.com/products/hardwired-surge-protection/30a-hardwire-model-35530/) and Display (https://rvpartssource.com/trc-40300) over the PI HW30C (https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw30c). mainly because of the display. I actually like the wireless display from the portable Southwire unit the best but that's not an option with the hardwired unit. I know focusing on the display probably isn't what I should be doing but once the main unit has been installed, that's what we'll be seeing on a constant basis.

It sounds like many love the PI lifetime warranty but it seems Southwire now has one as well. From what I gather they're both solid units and I probably can't go wrong either way but does anyone have direct experience with each unit and/or company to give opinions on? I appreciate any and all info!

We have the Southwire Surge Guard #34951 and Bluetooth monitor #40301 and really like them both. I was glad we bought the pedestal model, especially after trading in our previous trailer on a new one. We have had no issues with theft and I really liked the "plug & play" aspect; installing the permanent one can be a project (depending on the location of your transfer switch and other items).

mikz86ta
05-29-2020, 12:58 PM
We chose the Bulldog 50a unit that plugs into the power pole. It has a metal tab ring attached to the wire cable extension, so a cable lock is what we put around it and the pole. Would take a very determined person to get it. It also has Bluetooth and a phone App for alerts and monitoring. Also these have a replaceable card inside if it ever gets hit hard. I guess some of these are junked and whole unit is replaced in that event.

Hope this helps

Correction...... Meant Watchdog not Bulldog

ATLHammer
06-02-2020, 06:09 AM
Thanks for everyone's opinions and responses. We took the whole rig for a test run this weekend and while we did have a few issues the Southwire Surge Guard (34951) and monitor (40301) did very well from everything I could tell. It was great testing the system to find out how much power each piece of the trailer drew.

I also purchased a chain and lock with a wide enough shackle girth to fit around the main cord of the guard and two chain lengths. If someone really wants it they'll need some bolt cutters and if that's the case they probably need it more than we do.

sourdough
06-02-2020, 08:00 AM
I have one of these:

https://www.campingworld.com/surge-guard-universal-lock-hasp-44333.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI25_I3L_j6QIVgY3ICh2DH AAcEAQYAyABEgIN8_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The only thing it does is keep an honest guy honest. It's sturdier than it looks and makes them have to take the entire power cable with the EMS unless they want to spend a bit of time breaking it. Currently it is in the pass through and I've been hooked up without it for a month. :confused:

JSisemoreTX
06-02-2020, 10:58 AM
Hi folks,

The more I read, the more I'm convinced that I need to get my tail in gear and get a surge protector installed in my TT...Laredo 288RL (50amp service). I read somewhere that the following is a recommended protector...Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C Hardwire 50 Amp RV Surge Protector - W/Remote Display. The best price I found was $327 at https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Progressive-EMS-HW50C-RV-Surge-Protector-p/emshw50c.htm .

Also, looking for suggestions on specific location to install.

I'd like to purchase and have installed before we depart for our trip south in latter March.

Before I pull the trigger to order, I wanted to run past the brain trust here. Feedback appreciated!

Regards,
Mike
I went with this, for a brand new investment on a 2020 Laredo 311BH. Camco Power Defender Voltage Protector With Integrated Surge Protection, Includes Easy To Use Molded PowerGrip Handles (55306)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Power-Defender-Voltage-Protector-With-Integrated-Surge-Protection-Includes-Easy-To-Use-Molded-PowerGrip-Handles-55306/54307437?selected=true