PDA

View Full Version : rear bike hitch Outback 27RLs

Bankerbob
06-25-2011, 10:57 AM
We recently purchased the stated model and it has a hitch at the back which the dealer tells me is for a bike rack. With fulltime RVing for the next 9 months I am looking if it will be possible to put a enclosed case for my gen set attached to that hitch. The genset weighs 121 lbs fully gassed. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:)

Bob Landry
06-25-2011, 02:38 PM
I called KS and asked about it and was told it would support 200lbs. I wasn't able to get past the girl who screens their calls, so you might want to call them and get a second opinion. Personally, I think a gen may be a lot of weight to be leveraging on the bumper without some reinforcement, but I'm not an authority. I'm interested to hear what a different call screener might say.

Festus2
06-25-2011, 02:50 PM
If you are referring to the pull-out "bike" rack, it does indicate on the rack a limit of 200 lbs. I think the general feeling here is that, coupled with the spare tire on the bumper and the integrity of it, you would be better off finding another method of carrying a generator/w box. First, with the rack fully extended plus the additional weight of either bikes or a generator, you would be subjecting the generator to considerable bouncing. Personally, I wouldn't want a generator fastened to that rack bouncing around back there.
If your RV doesn't have this pull-out extension then we are talking about a different matter.

Bankerbob
06-27-2011, 04:47 AM
It is not a pullout rack. It is a small hitch welded to the the frame which I understand can take a receiver with a bike rack or with my thoughts some sort of box. ;)

ktmracer
06-27-2011, 03:41 PM
I spoke with an outback rep at a RV show. He stated the outback reciever is designed or a maximum of a two bike carrier and 200lbs total weight. Looking at the construction I'd say that's in the ballpark. the hitch is welded a foot or so back from the bumper to the frame, so it already is extending forward some. I've seen basically that same identical reciever system sold by Reese etc. and they also claim a max weight of 200lbs for the system.

Personally, I'm glad that outback is one of the first mfg to recognize that many folks want the ability to carry bikes with them, and are supplying a solution with the reciever.