PDA

View Full Version : New to Rolling camping

anuccite
01-23-2018, 08:12 AM
Hello All....

Been tent camping most of my life, taking the jump to Travel Trailer Camping.... The Wife has picked out the 2018 30RIPR as our camper... (based on what I could Tow)

Found this forum while searching for info on the trailer..... So far I've already found some tips and tricks based on the model we choose....

5J's
01-23-2018, 08:36 AM
Welcome to the forum and yes there is a ton of helpful info here. Enjoy your upgrade!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Hodgy
01-23-2018, 08:46 AM

Welcome from the Alberta Foothills.

MarcS
01-23-2018, 09:04 AM
Welcome to the forum from Fowlerville Michigan!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

cardinal96ss
01-23-2018, 09:23 AM
Welcome to the forum from eastern NE. Enjoy the forum and your new rig.

sourdough
01-23-2018, 09:42 AM
Welcome to the forum! Good luck in picking out a trailer to match your TV. Not trying to rain on the parade but what is the TV if I may ask? The reason I question is because the 30RIPR is a fairly large TT. At right at 36', 8200lb GVW and a tongue weight that will probably be in the 1000 lb. range at the least, it's not a lightweight.

anuccite
01-23-2018, 09:49 AM
Welcome to the forum! Good luck in picking out a trailer to match your TV. Not trying to rain on the parade but what is the TV if I may ask? The reason I question is because the 30RIPR is a fairly large TT. At right at 36', 8200lb GVW and a tongue weight that will probably be in the 1000 lb. range at the least, it's not a lightweight.

I did some research and I think i'm close to my max ...

2015 Ram 1500 Eco-Diesel Crew Cab Big Horn 5'7" Bed

Ram shows me a Max Trailer Weight of 8560

sourdough
01-23-2018, 10:53 AM
I did some research and I think i'm close to my max ...

2015 Ram 1500 Eco-Diesel Crew Cab Big Horn 5'7" Bed

Ram shows me a Max Trailer Weight of 8560

You might want to dig into the numbers a bit more. With a payload of only 1340 lbs. I suspect you will exceed it rather quickly. Also at approx. that same number you will exceed your gvwr. Remember that you need to stay within all the numbers optimally. Towing capacity, while highly touted by the manufacturers, is really meaningless because you need to stick with all the other numbers; which many/most times means the max. tow rating is moot. Here's a link for you to look over:

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2015_ram_1500_towing_charts.pdf

Edit: Forgot to add; no matter what trailer you choose you need to make sure you get a GOOD WDH/sway control.

JimQ
01-23-2018, 02:18 PM
Congrats on the trailer and welcome to the forum!

PARAPTOR
01-23-2018, 03:09 PM
:wlcm: to The Forum From Western PA

As previously stated it is critical that you match your Trailer selection to your TV. Many posts on this site to help you determine a good match. use the search function.

Be Safe and Happy Camping :camping:

sourdough
01-23-2018, 03:42 PM
You might want to dig into the numbers a bit more. With a payload of only 1340 lbs. I suspect you will exceed it rather quickly. Also at approx. that same number you will exceed your gvwr. Remember that you need to stay within all the numbers optimally. Towing capacity, while highly touted by the manufacturers, is really meaningless because you need to stick with all the other numbers; which many/most times means the max. tow rating is moot. Here's a link for you to look over:

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2015_ram_1500_towing_charts.pdf

Edit: Forgot to add; no matter what trailer you choose you need to make sure you get a GOOD WDH/sway control.

I forgot to add to the above;

Since you are new to towing the numbers you need to know are on the door pillar of your truck. They will give you all the numbers for your specific truck and not just generic ones.

travelin texans
01-23-2018, 04:54 PM
There a 2 people you absolutely DO NOT take advise about what truck/trailer to use with your truck/trailer is #1 the truck dealer or #2 the rv dealer, 1st they don't have clue about what will work with either one & 2nd they don't care as long as they sell it. If you hear "Oh yea, you'll be able handle that, no problem", run away.

Hodgy
01-23-2018, 05:07 PM
There a 2 people you absolutely DO NOT take advise about what truck/trailer to use with your truck/trailer is #1 the truck dealer or #2 the rv dealer, 1st they don't have clue about what will work with either one & 2nd they don't care as long as they sell it. If you hear "Oh yea, you'll be able handle that, no problem", run away.

What he said . . . . . .

That needs to be a mission statement on all RV/TT sites, IMHO !

anuccite
01-25-2018, 04:19 PM

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/tow...ing_charts.pdf (https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2015_ram_1500_towing_charts.pdf)

I forgot to add to the above;

Since you are new to towing the numbers you need to know are on the door pillar of your truck. They will give you all the numbers for your specific truck and not just generic ones.

Thanks for making me dig deeper.....

Our choice is changing, Probably going to go with our original choice.... the 26RBPR. Which comes in 600+ lbs lighter....

Number 4
01-25-2018, 04:46 PM
Hey there annucite. Welcome to the forum and it's deja vu all over again reading your post. I also joined the forum recently and one of my first questions was "Will This Work" as I listed my trailer model and prospective tow vehicle. After much good advice and pondering I realized that my intended RAM 1500 Hemi or any other truck in that range came up short in cargo capacity once I added up the weight of occupants, hitch, tongue weight, propane, batteries, any fresh water in the tank, etc. I gulped, found an F-250 and will now rest assured that I and my bride will be safe going down the mountainside switchbacks or anywhere else with our home-away-from-home dutifully following. Do the research, make a wise choice, then happy camping!!!!