PDA

View Full Version : Ditching the tent in Ohio

MendozaLC
01-19-2018, 07:55 AM
Hello from Ohio! Our family of 4 will be purchasing our first TT next month. We will be purchasing a 2018 Passport 2670BH. We have years of tent camping experience but after having children this mom is ready camp and explore with my own bed, restroom, and shower.
This summer we purchased a 2017 Toyota Tundra platinum crewmax. Unfortunately our truck is only rated to tow 8800lbs because it has a 38 gallon gas tank. We chose the 2670BH because it was the layout we wanted and the dry weight was under 6,000lbs. The dealership will install the Equalizer 4 point WD and Sway control hitch for us when we pick up the TT. From all the research I have done this is a decent hitch. All we need now is to find a good set of tow mirrors since our truck did not come with them.

My husband has a lot of experience towing 16ft flat bed trailers for his job but no experience towing a TT. We are both super excited and very nervous to be starting this journey. We do have quite a few local friends with TT that we will rely on for our first few trips out.

I would love to hear from anyone who currently has a similar set up.

JimQ
01-19-2018, 08:36 AM
Congrats and welcome to the forum! You'll be glamping soon! Glad you found this forum. Great place to share and learn!

cardinal96ss
01-19-2018, 09:25 AM
Welcome to the forum from Nebraska. Enjoy it and your new camping style and rig.

Hodgy
01-19-2018, 09:57 AM

Welcome to the forum from the Alberta Foothills.

Looks like you are setting up for a good camping season. Be nice to get up off the ground and into a TT.

MarcS
01-19-2018, 10:51 AM
Welcome to the forum from Fowlerville Michigan! Congrats on the new TT.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

sourdough
01-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new trailer!

Yes, the Equalizer (have one) is a good WDH/sway hitch; get it set up correctly. IMO good tow mirrors are a must. I have pulled a TT thousands of miles with regular pickup mirrors and they are not adequate - in fact a real pain and nuisance as well as dangerous. With your rig you will absolutely want to know when that semi is going to pass you at 80mph well in advance so the driver can prepare. Without them they will catch you by surprise if you're not looking constantly in the rear view mirror.

Edit: you probably should be thinking about upgrading the vehicle tires to LT tires if it has P rated tires. It will improve the towing/handling.

5J's
01-19-2018, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the forum from SE Texas. Congrats on the upgrade.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

earlzach
01-19-2018, 01:19 PM
Here from New Jersey to say, Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new trailer!
I just got a new passport this fall and it towed AWESOME!! The wide wheel stance made pulling this worlds apart from towing my 2012 Salem 26TBUD. Just remember unlike the flatbeds this will have a trailer brake. When adjusted good you will have the best ride you can imagine! That being said, just because its going good, MIND YOUR SPEED!! Its easy to think "I got this". Have fun and make memories!! Post pictures.

CrazyCain
01-19-2018, 01:46 PM
Welcome from Commerce Twp, Mi....enjoy the new set up and camping experiences!!!

:popcorn:

buvens
01-19-2018, 04:11 PM
I have no interest in this company but you might check with 1aauto.com.
I was able to find some tow mirrors for my 2001 Silverado there.

Welcome to the group.

PARAPTOR
01-22-2018, 10:06 PM
:wlcm: to The Forum From Western PA

Hi There :wave: spend a lot of time camping in central and Eastern Ohio, YA have to deal with those Buckeyes :facepalm:

Congrats on your upgrade to a new Passport! Enjoy :dance:

Be Safe and Happy Camping :camping:

Racebug
01-23-2018, 05:18 AM
hello from across the river! you will love your new TT!

Cdentler
01-23-2018, 06:22 AM
I have no interest in this company but you might check with 1aauto.com.

I was able to find some tow mirrors for my 2001 Silverado there.

Welcome to the group.

I also got my tow mirrors from 1AAuto and it was a simple process. I don’t know about Toyota’s but I would find a Toyota forum with some explanation on installing the mirrors. For Chevy I was able to find gmtrucks.com with tons of information.

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MendozaLC
01-24-2018, 07:45 AM
I also got my tow mirrors from 1AAuto and it was a simple process. I don’t know about Toyota’s but I would find a Toyota forum with some explanation on installing the mirrors. For Chevy I was able to find gmtrucks.com with tons of information.

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. We have looked at 1AAuto. They offer some great tow mirrors but none that do all the current functions of our factory mirrors (no power fold or no blindspot monitoring depending on which option you choose) Both of those functions are not critical to us but I think we will start with the clip on for our first year and upgrade to the real deal next year. Hopefully by then 1AAuto will have an option that is a simple plug and play with all of the existing features.