PDA

View Full Version : Camping in south Texas/Gulf area

Outbackmel
06-24-2011, 06:35 AM
Enjoy. Under campgrounds; let's hear of some of those campgrounds near the gulf water. I was considering south Texas last winter BUT the illegals kept me away. Beauty is number 2; safety is number 1. :)

Txoutback
06-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Enjoy. Under campgrounds; let's hear of some of those campgrounds near the gulf water. I was considering south Texas last winter BUT the illegals kept me away. Beauty is number 2; safety is number 1. :)

What are your interest, saltwater fishing, pier, wade or surf? Fresh water fishing, bird watching, sandy beach locations? Upscale private resort type locations? It's all here :)

Howdy Pearland, League City here...

Devildogmom
06-24-2011, 05:50 PM
The DH wants to go fising in Lake Amistad, TX. I told him no way as long as those borders are so unsafe.:eek:

Txoutback
06-24-2011, 07:46 PM
I have not been down there in 20 years and do not plan on going. Not only because of the crime but the fact that the lake has been very low for quite some time. It is a nice place with huge striped bass though.

Txoutback
06-24-2011, 07:51 PM
The Rockport area has several private CGs as well as Goose Island SP. Goose has a nice lighted pier and wade fishing. No sandy beach there though. Port Aransas has several CG as well, some are beach front. The fishing in this area is great.

Txoutback
06-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Further north is a nice kid friendly Quintana Beach county camp ground. This is close to Freeport. Small with no trees but nice beach and great surf fishing for bull red's on crab in the late summer. Bring your own shade. Nice off-shore party boats in the area as well.

wgb1
06-25-2011, 05:26 PM
The DH wants to go fising in Lake Amistad, TX. I told him no way as long as those borders are so unsafe.:eek:

Not too sure I would be afraid if in a populated area. Juarez has so many murders take place yet El Paso (its sister city) was very recently the safest city in the US. Go figure. A high profile murder of a US citizen did take place on Amistad by Mexican drug cartel (not sure if it was verified they were Mexican drug cartel, but matters little really). I wouldn't hesitate to go to most places, after all, you're not going to a Mexican border town. As far as the compgrounds noted near Rockport and Freeport, they are quite far from Amistad, but are decent campgrounds.

Bob Landry
06-25-2011, 05:29 PM
As a kid from Beaumont, I spent many wonderful hours fishing on the Port Bolivar piers and jetties all the way to Gilchrist. I really need to make time to get back to it.

Outbackmel
06-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the string of good experiences. We have made a decision to wait for 2013 for a Texas winter consideration. I booked 2012 Feb/Mar near Scottsdale, AZ today. Longer tow from "Hotlanta" for sure, but, I just felt Texas borders need more time for me to be comfortable, especially as a first time long term camper.

Good news is; when retired, it's just "time" and "money". :D

Txoutback
06-25-2011, 06:38 PM
I didn't catch you were looking for a winter stay-over. The two mentioned above are 14 day locations. However there are many, many, many snow bird winter perches along the waters edge between Palacios and Port Aransas, well away from the border. They are booked every year. The nicer resort style parks are from Sea Drift down. They are on or near the warmer gulf water so hard freezes are rare.

havnfun
09-10-2011, 03:34 PM
There is a two spots that are nice. One is the LCRA (Lower Colorado River Authority) camp ground in Matagorda Texas. They have cement pads, picnic tables with each spot, very clean and full hook ups. The pier is in walking distance right at the mouth of the river where it goes into the gulf. The beach is within walking distance for surf fishing which is good, and also a long pier that goes out into the gulf. They have a website check it out for the prices. The second one is on Lake Texana outside Edna Texas. You have a state park on one side of the highway and Brenkenridge park on the other side. The lower navidad river authority runs the public park. Stayed there many times they have full hookups, fishing in the lake, lots of deer, The bathrooms and showers are cleaned twice a day and are air conditioned if you choose to use the facilities. Have fun.

Steersall4
10-11-2011, 05:20 AM
as a Hoosier/Winter Texan I say if you have not spent time down in the Rio Grand Valley then all you know about conditions down there are merely hearsay. But I'd just as soon half the world didn't flock to the area anyway! I figure conditions down there are pretty much like where ever you live. Have I spent time down there? 3 months every winter for the last 7