PDA

View Full Version : Slide topper awning

dave-g
06-24-2011, 02:22 AM
looking to add slide out awning to a cougar 325srx.

1.Looking for advice on brand and model.

2. How hard are they to install?

Jim W
06-24-2011, 03:56 AM
Do a search on this forum for slide toppers/awnings. I believe a couple of members have installed them their selves.
I have had them on both of my 5er's and would not own without them installed. I had the dealer install them on my last 5er we bought new. These were included in the incentive to buy the 5er.
I have Carefree of Colorado, I believe any will work will. I would look at buying them on line from an RV dealer such as PPL Motor homes or Tweety's.
Jim W.

Festus2
06-24-2011, 06:56 AM
There is a DIY video on the Keystone website about installing a slide topper. Carefree and Dometic are the most popular choices. There isn't as much selection as to color, styles, etc. as there is with a regular awning so it will be easier to chose and will be pretty much personal preference.

antiqfreq
06-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Dometic is what we have and my DH installed them himself with help of a friend to hold the other end up.

Didn't take him much time at all.

Jo
:)

DocData757
06-24-2011, 10:09 AM
My DW and I installed all 4 Care Free toppers. It was easy once I was comfortable with here to install the main support brackets.

The listed price between the CareFree from a local vendor and Dometic thru CampingWorld was pretty close but I bought them through the local vendor. He gave me a small discount and ate the shipping charges. Camping world wants $78 per topper just for shipping (unless they have a shipping sale going on) so I saved quite a bit.

We took our time and did them over a weekend. There was no rush but I think we could easily have installed them in a single day.