PDA

View Full Version : Black tank rinse problem.

radar46
01-12-2018, 08:21 AM
Worked when I first bought the 2014 Cougar 5th a year ago but now no water flowing into the black tank. My first thought is a stuck inlet at connection but wondered if there are other areas to look for problem.
Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,
Warren.

JRTJH
01-12-2018, 09:12 AM
The water hose connector at the sidewall of your trailer has an one way valve inside it. The O-ring in that valve sometimes sticks or swells and makes it hard to open. If that happens, water won't flow into the black tank flush system. Sometimes waste (mainly toilet paper) will hang up on the flush system nozzle. If it dries there, it will act like "concrete" to stop the flow of water through the nozzle. Those are the two most probable causes "outside the anti-siphon valve which is located under the sink.

The first thing to check is the anti-siphon valve. You can check it by using a compressor at low pressure, cupping the valve in your hand and blowing air through it. Air should flow in one direction and not the other. If it "rattles" and air flows, then it's good unless it's dripping into the cupboard where it's located.

Sometimes the PEX hose will crimp either in the sidewall of the trailer or at the entry to the black tank and stoop water flow, but since your system was working last season, the hoses should not have "shifted to crimp" so that probably is not the issue.

If I were you, I'd fill the black tank from the toilet, add some black tank cleaner/digester, let it sit for a few days to a week, then dump the tank and try the black tank flush system. If it's that "concrete plug" over the nozzle, the water soak with digester should soften it enough to allow it to be washed off the holes in the nozzle. If that doesn't work, then the second place to look would be the water inlet on the side of your trailer.

Let us know what you find and good luck.

flybouy
01-12-2018, 09:43 AM
Could water be frozen in it? Don't know the conditions there but here in the mid Atlantic untill a day or so ago we've had record cold temps for several weeks.

ken56
01-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Had mine do the same. Turned out to be the vacuum breaker was plugged. Tech told me it looked like it was full of sawdust. I have always used a filter on my water inlet so the stuff must have been in there since it was built.

chuckster57
01-12-2018, 01:13 PM
I’ve seen the sprayer get clogged with toilet paper.

SkiSmuggs
01-14-2018, 09:04 AM
Ray of the Love Your RV YouTube channel did a video of trouble shooting this problem. He found the sprayer head was clogged when he removed it. He soaked it, cleaned it and reinstalled it. Some of the ideas above are good and don't involve cutting the coroplast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YPkEcyhf3k

Dave W
01-14-2018, 10:57 AM
I understand that you want to have the flusher work, but on the past two 5ers have found that they really aren't much good with only a single point metered spray. I've found on ours that the black tank flows pretty slowly when being dumped which of course will cause solids to build. Camco has a flusher elbow that fastens to the dump outlet and does a great job back flushing that tank, much better then that puny spray from the built in system. I have been able to flush a lot more ... stuff then before. I also use the built in flusher with the macerator and it seems to work even better. I probably haven't used the factory flusher more then a couple times in the past year or two. I also have a home made flusher that I shove down the toilet but it's much less effective then the Camco gadget: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39062-Flush-Holding-Rinser/dp/B000BUQOAE

radar46
01-14-2018, 01:59 PM
Thanks to you all--I think the problem lies with the flusher in the tank. Is there a super sludge eater that is effective with gunk plugging the flusher jets in the tank? I do have a flexible wand but for now I am using the old tried and true method of dumping a 4-5 gal. bucket of H2O in the toilet with my wife holding the toilet open and the outside valve open-just watch your step going up the bathroom (only tripped once in my old rig).

chuckster57
01-14-2018, 02:08 PM
The only way to clear/clean the rinser that I know of is to take it out. Not a fun job.