PDA

View Full Version : On board Generator won't start.

ncbound123
01-09-2018, 04:14 AM
I am almost anal when it comes to running our generator at least once a month for an hour or two and just after this storm we lost power to the house. So I figured I would fire up the generator on the camper and we would wait out the power issue out there and I couldn't get it to start. I can use a little starting fluid and it will fire off, but it won't keep running. Like it isn't getting any fuel from the rear tank. I guess I will pull the fuel line and see if fuel is getting to the generator and go from there unless someone has any other suggestions. Oh yea, its on our 2014 Fuzion 395.

chuckster57
01-09-2018, 04:50 AM
Is the start button flashing? If it’s an onan, that’s a trouble code. Google search will give you the list of codes.

Tinner12002
01-09-2018, 05:02 AM
You might try taking the fuel line off and pouring some seafoam in the fuel line and then trying to start it with your starting fluid to get the seafoam into the carb. It might take it a couple times to get some in it. Then let it sit for a while and try to start it again. Getting the seafoam in there will let it work on any varnish that may be clogging things up. I just recently found a local outlet for unleaded gas with no ethanol which is suppose to be much better for the genset.

bobbecky
01-09-2018, 11:35 AM
Is the generator a propane model? If it is, do you have the propane turned on?

twvette
01-23-2018, 02:11 PM
Might be bad fuel pump as sounds very similar to what my old Weekend Warrior did before replacing it. It was a bit intermitted also in that on occasion it would run a while and then randomly turn off again. There are better pumps out there to replace the oem one. Not a big job but still a pain.

I think when my new one starts to hiccup down the road I will switch over to the fuel injected version as besides a high pressure fuel pump it is essentially plug and play. Baffles me nobody has switched to this model and its not the cost either.

dcg9381
01-23-2018, 02:32 PM
Seafoam isn't going to clear a plugged carb, if that's the issue. As the OP runs it for a while once every 30-45 days, I doubt that's the problem (unless he's sitting on a tank of really old gas).

Like someone else suggested, pull the fuel line off the carb. Have someone inside the RV hit the prime button and see if you get fuel. If not, you know what the issue is.

At one time Amazon had the manufacturer branded fuel pump for some Onan generators at about 1/2 the price. Search by partner number on the pump.

I haven't seen the EFI generator that twvette talks about, but I like the idea...

notanlines
01-23-2018, 03:43 PM
Allow me to be slightly crass in my comment. It has been two weeks and the OP has not responded to the advice given. At this point no one has learned anything concerning the original problem.
On edit: In light of the answer following I humbly retract my "snarky" statement and say "thanks" for the answer.

Alley Cat
01-23-2018, 05:01 PM
Allow me to be slightly crass in my comment. It has been two weeks and the OP has not responded to the advice given. At this point no one has learned anything concerning the original problem. Thanks for nothing, ncbound.
Agree! What helps ncbound123 can help us one day too. Ask you get an answer or suggestion positive or negative but at least respond.

ncbound123
01-24-2018, 03:16 AM
I am sorry I havent' had the time to update this post. Life happens to everyone..... Anyway I was able to get the generator to run again using a combo of seafoam in the tank and spray seafoam into the carb over several days I kept applying the spray into the carb and let it set. After 3 days I tried again to start the unit and this time it fired over and kept running. I could also hear the "clanking" of the remote fuel pump kick in this time as well. So Sorry for not getting back to this post sooner, but it did take several days of spray and wait before it worked. I hope this helps anyone else.

ctbruce
01-24-2018, 03:44 AM
I am sorry I havent' had the time to update this post. Life happens to everyone..... Anyway I was able to get the generator to run again using a combo of seafoam in the tank and spray seafoam into the carb over several days I kept applying the spray into the carb and let it set. After 3 days I tried again to start the unit and this time it fired over and kept running. I could also hear the "clanking" of the remote fuel pump kick in this time as well. So Sorry for not getting back to this post sooner, but it did take several days of spray and wait before it worked. I hope this helps anyone else.Fantastic, I'm glad you had success. And thanks for the follow-up. It'll help others in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Tinner12002
01-24-2018, 03:52 AM
Might be bad fuel pump as sounds very similar to what my old Weekend Warrior did before replacing it. It was a bit intermitted also in that on occasion it would run a while and then randomly turn off again. There are better pumps out there to replace the oem one. Not a big job but still a pain.

I think when my new one starts to hiccup down the road I will switch over to the fuel injected version as besides a high pressure fuel pump it is essentially plug and play. Baffles me nobody has switched to this model and its not the cost either.

I've also wondered the same thing, and as you said there is only a couple dollars difference in price. If replacing and existing carbed model you do have to get the high pres fuel pump package also.

Tinner12002
01-24-2018, 03:56 AM
Seafoam isn't going to clear a plugged carb, if that's the issue. As the OP runs it for a while once every 30-45 days, I doubt that's the problem (unless he's sitting on a tank of really old gas).

Like someone else suggested, pull the fuel line off the carb. Have someone inside the RV hit the prime button and see if you get fuel. If not, you know what the issue is.

At one time Amazon had the manufacturer branded fuel pump for some Onan generators at about 1/2 the price. Search by partner number on the pump.

I haven't seen the EFI generator that twvette talks about, but I like the idea...

Sorry you haven't had any luck with seafoam as it has always cleared one for me. It will clear varnish inside a carb that is clogging one due to using our ethanol flavored gas, dirt, not so much.

spicercars
01-24-2018, 05:48 AM
The first three years I owned my raptor I had 4 fuel pumps go bad at a cost of $140 a pop. When I talked to the service dept. at cummins they guy told me that these pumps are known to fail. The last time the pump went out it was a Saturday night with no dealer in site. went to napa and bought a low pressure pump, in line filter and some misc. The bill was less than $50. That pump is still on there and I have had no problems since. I also only run non oxy fuel. For the little difference in price it is well worth it. I thick the biggest problem with the stock set up is the in filter. Seems to let a lot of crap by and plug up the pump.

dcg9381
01-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Sorry you haven't had any luck with seafoam as it has always cleared one for me. It will clear varnish inside a carb that is clogging one due to using our ethanol flavored gas, dirt, not so much.

It probably will clean varnish out of the bowl, but darn near nothing will clear a jet once it is clogged (I don't think that's what is going on in the OPs case). Darn jets, short of a chemical vat or actually pushing a wire through them, I've never found an in-the-can solution.