PDA

View Full Version : What’s the best way to carry my step ladder?

Tom143
01-08-2018, 06:19 PM
Anyone have any issues strapping their step ladder to the roof ladder of your 5er? I’ve got an 8’ fiberglass step ladder (Its got a little weight to it). Any risk of pulling the RV ladder off the rig riding down the road?

Thanks

sourdough
01-08-2018, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't. The ladders on the backs of these RVs are "flimsy" at best. I would forego the step ladder and get one of the many collapsing ladders that are made that work well for an RV.

theeyres
01-08-2018, 07:43 PM
A step ladder adds no torque to the RV ladder. I strapped on for a 100,000 miles. It's the best place to carry your step ladder.

sourdough
01-08-2018, 08:29 PM
A step ladder adds no torque to the RV ladder. I strapped on for a 100,000 miles. It's the best place to carry your step ladder.

A ladder strapped to your RV ladder adds all kinds of "torque", or weight, suspended in the air bouncing up and down as you travel with the mounting screws of the ladder as the only support to absorb that pounding - and they definitely aren't that strong....sort of like strapping a boat on the rear bumper of the RV:nonono:. I respectfully disagree.

Tinner12002
01-09-2018, 03:40 AM
I going to say that I'd have to agree with the crowd against carrying your ladder on your ladder. I know the RV ladder is suppose to support your weight but to have something bouncing around on it even though its strapped tightly to it would eventually be detrimental to the RV ladders mounting points. I have one of the Werner folding step/extension ladder similar to the Mighty Max ladder. I carry it in the garage but it would also fit under the master bed also.

Tom143
01-09-2018, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. Food for thought

Cracker
03-25-2018, 03:27 PM
I just bought a Telesteps 10 1/2’ telescoping ladder that I love - except for the price! My Cougar didn’t come with a rear ladder and, regardless, I wanted some way to check the slide out roof before I closed it.

cpaulsen
03-25-2018, 04:32 PM
My ladder has been strapped to my last 3 5th wheels for the last 10 years with no problems.

jsmith948
03-26-2018, 05:51 AM
Well...can't say whether added weight strapped to the ladder of a trailer is detrimental. I've seen ladders, honey pots, lawn chairs, bicycles, market umbrellas and you name it strapped to the back of trailers. Some of the tie down systems are quite imaginative. These folks seem to somehow make it work. Personally, I'm not into the "Grapes of Wrath/Beverly Hillbillies" look. But hey, whatever floats your boat.:hide:

Ken / Claudia
03-26-2018, 07:20 AM
I lay a ladder in the truck bed when I take a ladder.

xrated
03-26-2018, 07:42 AM
I bought a 17' telescoping ladder and it is secured (strapped) to the side of my tool box in the garage of my Toy Hauler.

AbHDToyHauler
03-26-2018, 10:03 AM
Well...can't say whether added weight strapped to the ladder of a trailer is detrimental. I've seen ladders, honey pots, lawn chairs, bicycles, market umbrellas and you name it strapped to the back of trailers. Some of the tie down systems are quite imaginative. These folks seem to somehow make it work. Personally, I'm not into the "Grapes of Wrath/Beverly Hillbillies" look. But hey, whatever floats your boat.:hide:

:popcorn: Hahahah. Love that! (Grapes of wrath/beverly Hillbillies ) look.

flybouy
03-26-2018, 10:16 AM

Speaking of ......

chartrand
03-26-2018, 06:25 PM
I purchased a stick ladder and store it in a fence post under my trailer. Similar to the ones you see with the stinky slinky inside. But a telescoping one, I think I agree with the fore mention truck bed idea. I have a friend who stores his under his bed and I’ve seen them stored in large cabinets inside the trailer door.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

sourdough
03-26-2018, 06:33 PM
Speaking of ......

Hey! I think those folks just drove down the road here in FL! The pic seems to show what I saw...:nonono:, someone with blue legs on the top that had been covered by the ......debris?

notanlines
03-27-2018, 02:52 AM
Speaking of ......
Flybouy, I thought this is how everybody packed when taking the little urchins and their friends to the beach for a week.....DW and I just thought it was normal.

flybouy
03-27-2018, 04:45 AM
Flybouy, I thought this is how everybody packed when taking the little urchins and their friends to the beach for a week.....DW and I just thought it was normal.Week?? When our girls were small that was a daytrip! :-)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk