PDA

View Full Version : Truck Won't Start!

TheGriz
01-07-2018, 07:16 AM
Keystoneforum...we have a problem. Without chill factor, went down to -5F last night and currently +2F here in the Poconos of PA. Went out to start my Silverado Duramax. It started, ran for about 30 seconds (very roughly), I heard a whine that seemed to be coming from the area of the fuel tank, then the truck shut down. Got a message on the DIC "reduced engine power". Started it up again a few times...same result but shutting down after just a few seconds each time.

It's parked in the driveway, not garaged.

Appears that the fuel has gelled and not flowing throw the system. Not sure that is the case. Going up to just +18F today, +27F tomorrow, and finally getting above freezing on Tuesday getting to 37F. I have never used any anti-gel additive.

Any suggestions to get me through this dilemma?

Thanks,
Mike

kfxgreenie
01-07-2018, 07:22 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Service-8025-Diesel-9-1-1/dp/B004HMISEM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515338485&sr=8-3&keywords=diesel+911

earlzach
01-07-2018, 07:25 AM
sounds like gel! If you have a block heater it might help but you can use a space heater under the truck but of course you need to put something around to skirt it so the heater can do its job on the tank. Not sure if you can get a heating pad against it. usually they have a heat shield. Worst case is get a tow to a garage let it thaw and use anti gel.

rhagfo
01-07-2018, 07:30 AM
At this point best to replace all filters, gelled fuel is not good for them, be sure you have the fuel
Ungelled.

Javi
01-07-2018, 07:34 AM
At this point best to replace all filters, gelled fuel is not good for them, be sure you have the fuel
Ungelled.This...

Javi

Hodgy
01-07-2018, 08:04 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Service-8025-Diesel-9-1-1/dp/B004HMISEM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515338485&sr=8-3&keywords=diesel+911

I subscribe to a few channels involving diesel engines. This product is recommended by many of them.

As mentioned check your filters.

Ruffus
01-07-2018, 10:02 AM
They make diesel fuel additives that prevent gelling and clean injectors at the same time, sold at all auto parts stores.

Javi
01-07-2018, 10:05 AM
Power service anti gel is your friend.

Javi

JRTJH
01-07-2018, 11:13 AM
The following is "my take" on living with a diesel truck in the winter. I'm no expert, there are some people who live in much colder places than I do, but this is the way I see it, based on living somewhere with below zero temps for weeks on end through the winter.

Diesel 9+1+1 is usually available "almost everywhere".... I've seen it at WalMart, Auto Zone, NAPA, most truck stops and many places where diesel is sold.

You'll find people who will say "this is better" or "that is better" but it really boils down to what you can get your hands on that will work when you need it.....

Power Service Diesel 9+1+1 is probably as close as your nearest diesel filling station and it works to get your diesel "un-gelled" and gets your truck running. Once you're up and running, change the filters and start using a diesel fuel supplement during cold weather.

chuckster57
01-07-2018, 11:18 AM
I like all the power Service products. Got a bad batch of fuel a few years ago ( algea) and the PS Biocide did the trick. I run Diesel Kleen in every tank.

Stickman
01-07-2018, 11:40 AM
Check to make sure your DEF is not freezing too. Just had a straight week of sub-zero nights here. We spent more time at work thawing frozen DEF tanks than we did getting fuel un-gelled. If your fuel is gelled, make sure you use the 911, and not the regular Power Service. If you are also unfortunate enough to have system full of gelled up bio-diesel(GARBAGE), you will definitely want to change filters. The filter media will look like it's slathered in beef tallow.

notanlines
01-07-2018, 11:57 AM
Griz, for the heck of it, call one of your local truck stops and ask if they are selling winter blend diesel. As a matter fact, just call where you usually fill your truck and ask. A lot of northern states have winter blend available. You may already have it.

Pull Toy
01-07-2018, 12:15 PM
I've been using Power Service products for years. White bottle in winter (includes anti-gel), Silver bottle in spring and summer. Both have a cetane booster and fuel injector cleaner.

Even though my diesel station guarantees their winter blend to -9 degrees, I still like the extra protection. I've never needed the 9-1-1, but have heard good things about it. Just remember it is a rescue tool, not meant to be a steady diet. Once your running again add PS Anti-gel and top off with good quality winterized fuel.

I never did a scientific fuel mileage comparison, but I do know my diesels start every time. -5 degrees this a.m. diesel started right up without block heater.

Good Luck,

ChuckS
01-07-2018, 12:57 PM
Hook up scanner and clear the code out. As other suggested try using the factory block heater it came with

Also on top of fuel filter is your primer button. Press it fully a few times.

I own a 2007 duramax and live in Idaho. We have winter blend diesel at all the local pumps now and I’ve not needed to use an anti gel additive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGriz
01-07-2018, 01:18 PM
Well the Diesel 911 (red bottle) is like pixie dust...sprinkle it on and like magic, it worked!!! I put the stuff in at 2pm ET and it started right up and it KEPT running! I let it run for about an hour. Previously as in my original post, the truck would start up and shut down after less than a minute.

Thank you for all the input, especially using the 911! Problem here locally is right now Diesel 911 is more valuable than gold. I went to at least 15 different location, and the shelves were empty in the 911 slot :banghead:. Finally, had to cross into New Jersey and the stuff was finally available at the T/A truckstop off I-80. Was able to get an 80 ounce bottle for $25. But would have paid double that if I had to!

So now I have to put the other stuff (white bottle) in as well to prevent future gelling.

On a related note, apparently the last fill-up I did in Wind Gap, PA (Valero station on Rt.512) did not have the "winter blend". Is it a fact that diesel fuels are pre-treated with anti-gel in northern climates? And If so, is Pennsylvania in that "Northern Climate" region???

This is my first diesel pick-up...live and learn. I never had the gelling problem though with my JD 1025R diesel tractor :confused:

Many thanks for all the valuable input:bow:
Mike

Javi
01-07-2018, 01:27 PM
Well the Diesel 911 (red bottle) is like pixie dust...sprinkle it on and like magic, it worked!!! I put the stuff in at 2pm ET and it started right up and it KEPT running! I let it run for about an hour. Previously as in my original post, the truck would start up and shut down after less than a minute.

Thank you for all the input, especially using the 911! Problem here locally is right now Diesel 911 is more valuable than gold. I went to at least 15 different location, and the shelves were empty in the 911 slot :banghead:. Finally, had to cross into New Jersey and the stuff was finally available at the T/A truckstop off I-80. Was able to get an 80 ounce bottle for $25. But would have paid double that if I had to!

So now I have to put the other stuff (white bottle) in as well to prevent future gelling.

On a related note, apparently the last fill-up I did in Wind Gap, PA (Valero station on Rt.512) did not have the "winter blend". Is it a fact that diesel fuels are pre-treated with anti-gel in northern climates? And If so, is Pennsylvania in that "Northern Climate" region???

This is my first diesel pick-up...live and learn. I never had the gelling problem though with my JD 1025R diesel tractor :confused:

Many thanks for all the valuable input:bow:
Mike

Always got to be careful about WHERE you fill up... I never use small mom & pop stations where the diesel pump is rarely used.. I use large stations with high diesel traffic...

I also suggest you start using the Diesel Power winter blend additive with every tank and switch to the sliver (summer) bottle once the cold is gone... 16oz to 40 gallons..

Freeheel4life
01-07-2018, 01:33 PM
Glad to hear you are running. Depending on where you were getting your fuel for your JD traditionally it would be #2 heating oil that's been dyed red vs your low sulfur blends for OTR trucks at least where I've grown up.
Not getting a winter blend diesel was certainly not helping your situation.
I groomed at ski resorts for 13 years and I found that best fleet of cats had oil heater, coolant heater, hydraulic heater and fuel heater on top of intake air heater. Would always start no matter how cold. Conversely, I've had cats with just a coolant heater that took ALL day to start when it got really cold.

travelin texans
01-07-2018, 03:42 PM
The off road/JD fuel (red dyed) is the very same fuel you use in your truck with red dye added. Worked 30 years in the oil & gas field, 1st 15 in crude oil, last 15 in refined products.

chuckster57
01-07-2018, 03:44 PM
The off road/JD fuel (red dyed) is the very same fuel you use in your truck with red dye added. Worked 30 years in the oil & gas field, 1st 15 in crude oil, last 15 in refined products.

Yup, just don’t want to get caught using it “on the road”. I know a couple of guys that run cattle, say trucks get “dipped” at the stockyards.

Freeheel4life
01-07-2018, 03:49 PM

That's interesting I've always been told that starting with EPA tier 1-4 that rolled out in early 2000s that on highway diesel was formulated at a much lower PPM in sulfur, but that true off road can still be #2.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/lowsulfurdiesel.shtml

So are they just dyeing ULSD and LSD is no longer formulated??

travelin texans
01-07-2018, 04:33 PM
That's interesting I've always been told that starting with EPA tier 1-4 that rolled out in early 2000s that on highway diesel was formulated at a much lower PPM in sulfur, but that true off road can still be #2.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/lowsulfurdiesel.shtml

So are they just dyeing ULSD and LSD is no longer formulated??

That's correct.
I accidentally filled with off road fuel at a small station, went in & told the cashier that I should maybe pay the tax on the fuel ( which is only difference, no tax) of course she had not a clue, but the old guy behind me spoke up saying "you gonna burn that sum bitch up with that fuel, its way to hot for that truck" to which I replied I thought it would just fine while laughing. The worst thing is that dye stains (it's like blood red ink) your fuel tank & takes several fills before its gone.

bobbecky
01-07-2018, 04:33 PM
The only difference between ULSD for on the road and off the road is the red dye for the off road and the off road does not have highway taxes in the price. That is why they check for dye in on road vehicles, to make sure the taxes are being paid. I understand there is a hefty fine if you are caught with dye in your tank. And I don't think LSD is available anymore.

Freeheel4life
01-07-2018, 08:00 PM
Learning new tidbits everyday. This forum always seems to deliver that. Thanks fellas

Tinner12002
01-08-2018, 03:04 AM
Most stations that sell diesel fuel start using blended fuel up here in Oct-Nov. I never use additives unless its predicted to get below zero but definitely after that. A couple gal of Kerosene to a tank of fuel will work also.

1st Chev Diesel
01-08-2018, 07:51 AM
Griz getting back to your question... go to the Diesel Place and do a search " fuel gel" etc and you will get a lot of info on your situation. Good luck.

http://www.dieselplace.com/

Gary

TheGriz
01-13-2018, 08:59 PM
Griz getting back to your question... go to the Diesel Place and do a search " fuel gel" etc and you will get a lot of info on your situation. Good luck.

http://www.dieselplace.com/

GaryThanks Gary!

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

sourdough
01-13-2018, 09:08 PM
After reading this thread, and so many other posts, is this what we call an argument NOT to buy a diesel? Being in a position of thinking about a new diesel, other than torque, I cannot see any benefit whatsoever to buying one. Little brother, who just bought his new F250 6.7 pretty much confirmed the same thing....you just need to WANT a diesel for it to be worth it, or have a need to tow heavy loads a lot......increased cost, increased maintenance, increased worries etc. etc. After many months of reading and research......did I miss something.....:facepalm: Not meaning to hijack the thread, just thought this might be a place to interject that thought....and I know it's been talked about many times so no need to reiterate previous posts......

notanlines
01-14-2018, 04:16 AM
I believe it was that now infamous orator Javi who once said "you can drive a diesel or just run around town making a sound like a diesel."

Tinner12002
01-14-2018, 04:53 AM
After reading this thread, and so many other posts, is this what we call an argument NOT to buy a diesel? Being in a position of thinking about a new diesel, other than torque, I cannot see any benefit whatsoever to buying one. Little brother, who just bought his new F250 6.7 pretty much confirmed the same thing....you just need to WANT a diesel for it to be worth it, or have a need to tow heavy loads a lot......increased cost, increased maintenance, increased worries etc. etc. After many months of reading and research......did I miss something.....:facepalm: Not meaning to hijack the thread, just thought this might be a place to interject that thought....and I know it's been talked about many times so no need to reiterate previous posts......

Sometimes its a matter of preference, sometimes its a matter of need. Everyone has their own reasons for buying a diesel so its not for me to determine whether a person needs a gas or diesel truck. They all have their issues at times, but I personally believe that a diesel truck will tow longer and more efficiently that a gas when towing a 12k RV and on up in weight. That's my opinion anyway.:popcorn:

travelin texans
01-14-2018, 07:09 AM
We've been fulltime for 10 years & after driving over the river & through the woods in that time I can't imagine doing it in a gasser, but to each their own.
One argument everyone, that doesn't own a diesel, keeps bringing up is increased maintenance, so far after using a diesel as a daily driver for the last 13 years I've yet to notice that increase. Oil changes in 10-12 k where the gasser is 3-5k, mine holds 10 quarts, the gasser holds 5-7, all the same lubrication points, tire rotations, air filter, all of which are done on both. If referring to DEF, 2.5 gallons in 3-3.5k @ about $12 for the jug is less than half a cent per mile.
Not trying to sell diesels, but they are designed/necessary if pulling a large trailer, just my .02 cents.

TheGriz
01-14-2018, 09:18 AM
As the OP, I didn't expect this thread to morph into diesel vs. gas! But given that it has, here is my two cents as a recent diesel owner (bought my first diesel pickup this past August, and a half dozen or so gassers previous to that).

First off, I am not a mechanic, nor certainly not a mechanical engineer. My brief practical experience with a diesel has demonstrated to me significantly increased torque, even with the towing package in my previous gasser. Specifically given my experience when going up just a moderate grade in my gasser, I would have to "put my foot considerably more into the pedal" than with the diesel. When I would shift to Drive in a gasser and not touch the gas pedal, my TV/TT rig would just sit there and not move on a level surface. With a diesel, the rig would start moving without touching the acceleration pedal.

I can only speculate that the increased RPMs during acceleration and drive train load required uphill with a gasser, likely decreases life expectancy on both gas engine and transmission. Life expectancy of a diesel regularly goes into several hundred thousand miles.

Previous post summed up very good the economics of diesel vs. gas. I will add two more points.
- Yes, diesel has a higher up front "buy" cost, but that is recouped on the "sell" end as trade/resale values on diesels are considerably higher than gassers.
- Regarding mileage when towing, I am experiencing roughly 13-14 MPG with diesel, versus 8-9 MPG with previous gasser. But even with the increased cost per gallon of diesel, the fuel gauge tips in favor of diesel.

If I didn't have a towing requirements, I personally would still have a gasserl. But with a towing requirement, my pick is a diesel. To each their own.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Regards,
Mike

MSB1766
01-16-2018, 12:56 PM
I have get power Service products from Amazon.
Power Service makes three different diesel additives:

Gray Bottle= Summer Formula
White Bottle= Winter Fromula
Red Bottle= Gelled Fuel

sourdough
01-16-2018, 01:34 PM
As the OP, I didn't expect this thread to morph into diesel vs. gas! But given that it has, here is my two cents as a recent diesel owner (bought my first diesel pickup this past August, and a half dozen or so gassers previous to that).

First off, I am not a mechanic, nor certainly not a mechanical engineer. My brief practical experience with a diesel has demonstrated to me significantly increased torque, even with the towing package in my previous gasser. Specifically given my experience when going up just a moderate grade in my gasser, I would have to "put my foot considerably more into the pedal" than with the diesel. When I would shift to Drive in a gasser and not touch the gas pedal, my TV/TT rig would just sit there and not move on a level surface. With a diesel, the rig would start moving without touching the acceleration pedal.

I can only speculate that the increased RPMs during acceleration and drive train load required uphill with a gasser, likely decreases life expectancy on both gas engine and transmission. Life expectancy of a diesel regularly goes into several hundred thousand miles.

Previous post summed up very good the economics of diesel vs. gas. I will add two more points.
- Yes, diesel has a higher up front "buy" cost, but that is recouped on the "sell" end as trade/resale values on diesels are considerably higher than gassers.
- Regarding mileage when towing, I am experiencing roughly 13-14 MPG with diesel, versus 8-9 MPG with previous gasser. But even with the increased cost per gallon of diesel, the fuel gauge tips in favor of diesel.

If I didn't have a towing requirements, I personally would still have a gasserl. But with a towing requirement, my pick is a diesel. To each their own.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Regards,
Mike

I apologize Mike. As I said, I didn't mean to hijack the thread into that topic. Just reading this thread and the problems you were having....and the solutions, were nothing I had even thought about when weighing buying a diesel. Probably wasn't a good place to interject but in the midst of all those thoughts and comments I sort of just popped it out...:hide: I doubt your situation would be anything I would have to worry about in W TX - plus we try to stay S in cold weather. Thanks for the thoughts.

Freeheel4life
01-16-2018, 02:25 PM
We've been fulltime for 10 years & after driving over the river & through the woods in that time I can't imagine doing it in a gasser, but to each their own.
One argument everyone, that doesn't own a diesel, keeps bringing up is increased maintenance, so far after using a diesel as a daily driver for the last 13 years I've yet to notice that increase. Oil changes in 10-12 k where the gasser is 3-5k, mine holds 10 quarts, the gasser holds 5-7, all the same lubrication points, tire rotations, air filter, all of which are done on both. If referring to DEF, 2.5 gallons in 3-3.5k @ about $12 for the jug is less than half a cent per mile.
Not trying to sell diesels, but they are designed/necessary if pulling a large trailer, just my .02 cents.

Not to keep this thread off topic, but here goes :)
I would agree that in the world of consumable standard maintenance items you are spot on. Oil, DEF, fuel, etc On the off chance you experience parts failures though they are typically much more than their gas counterparts. Fuel injection pumps, injectors, high pressure oil pumps, and even parts that you can expect like the occasional starter are more $. Yes they are supposed to run forever but getting unlucky can sure add up quick. Just ask the guys with "bullet proofed" 6.0L Powerstrokes.

TheGriz
01-17-2018, 04:07 PM
I apologize Mike. As I said, I didn't mean to hijack the thread into that topic. Just reading this thread and the problems you were having....and the solutions, were nothing I had even thought about when weighing buying a diesel. Probably wasn't a good place to interject but in the midst of all those thoughts and comments I sort of just popped it out...:hide: I doubt your situation would be anything I would have to worry about in W TX - plus we try to stay S in cold weather. Thanks for the thoughts.

Sourdough, no problem and certainly no need to apologize!!! To be quite honest, when I posted my issue, I questioned my decision to get a diesel TV. I am not looking back though, and absolutely love the torque when towing with my Duramax, an expectation that my gasser left me disappointed.

As a first time diesel pickup owner, live and learn (never too old to get schooled), when down in single digits and below, I will definitely be adding the anti-gel!!!

Daylight continues to get longer, which means camping season is getting closer!!!:dance::camping::marshmallow::bdance:

Regards,
Mike

Alley Cat
01-17-2018, 07:37 PM
Gasser's love there engines I can appreciate that. Once the trailer weight get up there mine tips in at 15,000 lb. Diesel is the only option. I did my home work and looked for longevity not the 0 - 60 times. The 7.3 Ford PSD known to last no Bullet Proofing or DEF required and with 60,000 on the clock barely broken in. Come on Spring "Count me in."

notanlines
01-18-2018, 01:35 AM
Alleycat, I see you're ride is an '01 Ford. When you mentioned the 0-60 I kind of wondered if you've driven a late model in any of the big three? All three diesels since about 2007-8 or so will literally jump right out from under you. The new diesels never take a back seat to the gassers in the regular lines of trucks.