PDA

View Full Version : Anyone besides me 'Horrified' at the kitchen drawers?

miaoreo
01-03-2018, 02:22 PM
So ya drop 50-60k on a new RV, get it home and are looking at putting all your "Stuff" in it. Like all the ''stuff" that was in the old RV.... so I have my silverware and open the top drawer...:( It's just a drawer, no dividers for the knives, forks and spoons. Heck my old Jayco had a divided drawer.

Fine, ya think, I'll just get on Amazon and order something... wrong, you measure the drawer. 11 1/4" by 8 7/8"... nothing fits. OK try the Container Store... I know they have lots of little wire mesh baskets for drawer organizing, wrong... nothing fits. :banghead:

A couple days later I am watching a youtube video on something like Dollar Store organizing tips... and I see a hack where they folded up a wire rack into a spice rack...:facepalm: Rushed out to the garage and grabbed a piece of what is called Lincane Aluminum sheet... lightweight perforated aluminum... available at all the big home improvement stores. Picture shows tools needed... not much. a couple straight edge rulers, tin snips and a majic marker.

Measure your drawer and divide the width by 3, subtract 1/8" from each to accommodate the "fold". Cut your metal to the LENGTH (front to back) of the drawer. Cut the Metal to the Width of the drawer PLUS to allow for the folds, either 8 1/4" for 2 inch tall dividers or 12 1/4" for 3 inch tall dividers.

Mark your folds with the majic marker and laying the line on the edge of the straight edge fold 90°. Repeat folding up and then back down until all your Divider folds are complete. You might have to trim a bit off the edge but if your measurements were accurate it should fit right into your drawer.

ctbruce
01-03-2018, 02:36 PM
Very nice job. That's a mod I'm sure others will want to do as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Number 4
01-03-2018, 02:47 PM
Sweet! Any time I can DIY it feels extra good. Nicely done and clearly explained.

Bob Landry
01-03-2018, 02:49 PM
I bought some 1/4" birch plywood, cut the dividers. Then removed the drawer front. It's only held on with two screws, then put the dividers in using an air brad nailer, replaced the drawer front and walla. Divided drawers. I did the same thing for every drawer in the trailer. I also had to rebuild the drawer runner supports as the factory ones were done with 1/8" scrap pieces of Luan and staples. Pretty disappointing considering how much we paid for these things. That's what's keeping me from trading to a newer rig, I don't want to have to rebuild another trailer.

Pull Toy
01-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Nice job!

Welcome to the Keystone/Alpine family.

Enjoy your new rig, and your schnauzer!

Good Luck,

MarcS
01-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Very nice! I like that mod!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

roadglide
01-03-2018, 07:09 PM
That is neat. I ask the women of the camper what she used was 3 plasket individual silverware trays from dollar store . I'll look into it tomorrow.

Alpine
01-03-2018, 10:05 PM
:bow::bow::bow:

Canonman
01-04-2018, 05:45 AM
Awesome Mod! I'm going to use it on my shop drawers now and then the Cougar once spring arrives.
Thanks for a very well done post.:bow:

rhagfo
01-04-2018, 06:12 AM
I agree very nice mod, but Horrified that the drawer didn’t have dividers already? Did you not open drawers before buying this rig? Not a decision I want the RV manufacture making for me! There are many ways to add deciders, we cut down a regular tray to fit the space.

jimthemosaicguy
01-04-2018, 06:58 AM
I really like this idea. There might even be ways to use for the bottom deep drawer below the flatware that I use as a utility drawer. I’d like to be able to put larger items on the bottom and have a lift out tray for small things I frequently use like pliers, aquarium supplies. (Yes, I have a 5 gal on the kitchen counter)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardinal96ss
01-04-2018, 02:04 PM
Great idea. Nice mod. Thanks.

TLB
01-06-2018, 04:01 PM
Nice job. My wife went to the dollar store and got a plastic tray for ours.

travelin texans
01-06-2018, 05:25 PM
I'm actually glad they didn't add some of those little extras that way I can add them where the DW wants not where some knucklehead that gave it absolutely no thought. Unfortunately the thing they did furnish\mount was the toilet paper holder & wasn't anywhere near where it was handy & not even close to where I would have mounted it, you almost had to get up & bend down to reach it.

notanlines
01-07-2018, 04:33 AM
If an individual were to be "horrified" over dividers either supplied or not supplied in an RV, as the saying goes, "You ain't seen nothin' yet!" We also would not want the manufacturer to install the divider any more than install the paper towel dispenser in the kitchen. I've been horrified.....silverware dividers didn't do it.:D

miaoreo
01-07-2018, 06:27 AM
Hey at least you got a toilet paper holder... My Alpine did not! LOL

miaoreo
01-07-2018, 06:29 AM
If an individual were to be "horrified" over dividers either supplied or not supplied in an RV, as the saying goes, "You ain't seen nothin' yet!" We also would not want the manufacturer to install the divider any more than install the paper towel dispenser in the kitchen. I've been horrified.....silverware dividers didn't do it.:D

OK so maybe "horrified" is overkill.... but, dang... lots of area's skimped and done poorly. Just sayin, as much as we pay for these things you would think they would add a few amenities that are not just cosmetic.....:nonono:

earlzach
01-07-2018, 06:44 AM
Love the work to divide. It looks great as well as functional..

My drawers were tight as well for most dividers however i found one at Walmart that I only needed to use a utility knife to trim the molded rolled edge off of. Now it fits like a glove. I would like to have had bigger but we use mostly consumables the entire trip anyhow. Thanks to Dollar stores plastic ware is easy enough to keep restocked and cuts down on doing dishes.

Drydays
01-07-2018, 08:47 AM
We have had to "modify" every unit we have had.. New bathroom cupboards, shelves in the lower bath under the sink, the lowered the radio so she could reach it, and made room by making drawers under the seats,,, Kids it's always sumtin!!

travelin texans
01-07-2018, 08:58 AM
Too bad they don't ask for design from folks that have spent time living in or at least using a rv. If I were guessing, most designers, builders, nor salesman have spent any significant amount of time in a rv other than walking in/out.

JRTJH
01-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Too bad they don't ask for design from folks that have spent time living in or at least using a rv. If I were guessing, most designers, builders, nor salesman have spent any significant amount of time in a rv other than walking in/out.

I'd bet that all of us use our RV differently, expect different options from what someone else would expect and would build "significantly different" RV's if given the opportunity to do it "our way".... That said, if you got 100 RV owners in a room, you'd have as much "disagreement" as you typically see on this or any other forum. You, me nor Keystone can build one RV that would make every purchaser a "happy camper".....

That said, it seems to me, that Keystone, Forest River, Winnebago and all the rest, build "to the middle of the want list" and leave the rest to each owner to personalize as they believe will fit their needs best. So, what "horrifies" one owner, is an "oh well" to another and what "terrifies" a particular group would probably be, to someone else, to "lay down beside and take a nap".....

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.....

As a note, on both the Springdale and the Cougar, toilet paper holder, towel bars and toothpaste/toothbrush holder were something straight from the Dollar Tree. My DW just tossed it all and went to buy something much more durable and styled to her preference. To me, I'd have just hung the towels over the shower wall and left the TP in the vanity base right in front of the toilet, but that wasn't left up to me......

Horrified???? OK, that's a new one for drawer organizers, at least for me.

miaoreo
01-07-2018, 11:24 AM

Boy have you got THAT right!...... Trying to load the new Alpine for our trip to AZ next week.... OH MY.... so many things that won't fit, ie, the Keurig will only fit in ONE cabinet, or the shelf is too shallow.. example, my Dish box... there is not a single shelf of cabinet surrounding the TV that it fits properly in or on. Trying to come up with a Mod for that now!

sbarlag
01-08-2018, 06:46 AM
Nice job!!

Tinner12002
01-08-2018, 08:16 AM
Nice mod, but we also picked up a plastic one that fit the drawer perfectly. Actually had several choices.

Tinner12002
01-08-2018, 08:20 AM
Boy have you got THAT right!...... Trying to load the new Alpine for our trip to AZ next week.... OH MY.... so many things that won't fit, ie, the Keurig will only fit in ONE cabinet, or the shelf is too shallow.. example, my Dish box... there is not a single shelf of cabinet surrounding the TV that it fits properly in or on. Trying to come up with a Mod for that now!

Most RVs are severely lacking when it comes to cabinet and storage space. Best thing RV manufactures could do is to install normal 12" deep upper kitchen cabinets in them.

TheBeans
01-09-2018, 09:24 AM
A GREAT mod! Thanks for the construction directions and photos---I know we'll be doing this one in the spring.

Drydays
01-09-2018, 10:27 AM
I'd bet that all of us use our RV differently, expect different options from what someone else would expect and would build "significantly different" RV's if given the opportunity to do it "our way".... That said, if you got 100 RV owners in a room, you'd have as much "disagreement" as you typically see on this or any other forum. You, me nor Keystone can build one RV that would make every purchaser a "happy camper".....

That said, it seems to me, that Keystone, Forest River, Winnebago and all the rest, build "to the middle of the want list" and leave the rest to each owner to personalize as they believe will fit their needs best. So, what "horrifies" one owner, is an "oh well" to another and what "terrifies" a particular group would probably be, to someone else, to "lay down beside and take a nap".....

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.....

As a note, on both the Springdale and the Cougar, toilet paper holder, towel bars and toothpaste/toothbrush holder were something straight from the Dollar Tree. My DW just tossed it all and went to buy something much more durable and styled to her preference. To me, I'd have just hung the towels over the shower wall and left the TP in the vanity base right in front of the toilet, but that wasn't left up to me......

Horrified???? OK, that's a new one for drawer organizers, at least for me.

Your note on the Pleasing people.. We have hosted and volunteered ,, That statement is a prerequisite,, BUt not in this subject line... I hope you all have a great YEAR:hide: Fixing things..
Cheers

Wilco
01-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Nice modification. I will remember it if I have a need for a similar divider. I measure the inside of all my drawer/storage spaces and store them on my cell phone so when I find a container that I think will work, I can check the measurements before I purchase it.

I have modified every RV that I have owned to suit my wife and myself. The manufacturer only installs the minimum necessary to sell the units.