PDA

View Full Version : How are You keepin warm

laidback
01-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Down here in Miramar Beach Fl. way to cold. Alot of frozen hoses this am. Fireplace and furnace on just to be comfortable. Can't wait for tonight.

sourdough
01-02-2018, 03:41 PM
We're in the FL panhandle and yes, it is too cold to be in FL. I've got a heated hose so it hasn't frozen but it's PLENTY cold. Who wears heavy clothes, hooded coat and gloves in FL??? It's just wrong :banghead:. On the other hand, looking at our place in TX the highs were in the 20's and lo's in the single digits. Here it's at least in the mid/upper 20's at night. Warmest I saw today was 41.

We're staying warm just fine. With the fireplace and a little electric heater the furnace doesn't come on in the daytime - trying to conserve a little propane. At night we just use the furnace and stay toasty.....and chew up a lot of propane. I can't begin to imagine staying in an RV further north.....:nonono:

JimQ
01-02-2018, 03:47 PM
I hope where you are in Florida, the temps return to normal soon. Camping in the cold definitely has its challenges.

hankpage
01-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Down here in Miramar Beach Fl. way to cold. Alot of frozen hoses this am. Fireplace and furnace on just to be comfortable. Can't wait for tonight.

Not that cold here ..... YET!!!! Oil filled electric heater in living room keeps the whole unit very comfortable all night. Night time temps supposed to drop below 40°F the next few nights. Chilly, but much nicer than single digits up north.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1111
Where did I pack my long pants and winter coat????

sourdough
01-02-2018, 04:19 PM
Not that cold here ..... YET!!!! Oil filled electric heater in living room keeps the whole unit very comfortable all night. Night time temps supposed to drop below 40°F the next few nights. Chilly, but much nicer than single digits up north.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1111
Where did I pack my long pants and winter coat????

Ha! Cold weather was coming in so decided to get some gloves and silk long johns (don't like the bulk of thermals). You know you're not in cold country when you ask for "long johns" and folks just give you a distant stare.....huh...? Looked around WalMart for 15 minutes and finally found their selection.....all 4 packages of unneeded sizes. Went searching for insulated gloves...they carry none in the regular glove section, just work gloves. Went to sporting goods and found ONE pair of insulated gloves; not what I wanted but INSULATED. I asked if that's all they carry...."well, we normally don't carry a lot of gloves but we did stock up....but the duck hunters came in and bought them all".....:banghead:

notanlines
01-02-2018, 05:44 PM
Danny, SILK long johns? Susan didn't say you had that left in you.....you old dog you!

sourdough
01-02-2018, 06:05 PM
Danny, SILK long johns? Susan didn't say you had that left in you.....you old dog you!

Ha! I hear ya!

You couldn't have talked to me about silk anything until several years ago. I have/had a couple of drawers full of thermal underwear. I used them on every cold weather hunting/fishing trip. I came back from a hunting trip by myself, in -15 weather, complaining of my chaffed butt and freezing while I was out with my "thermal" wear. She said I owed it to myself to try silk. I did and was astounded by what I thought of as "girlie" wear. Not so. Very functional and so much less bulk. I don't know how much I've got "left in me", but whatever it is I want to keep it warm....!!:lol:

Hodgy
01-02-2018, 06:25 PM

OK it is just wrong that you in the South, that is a direction nothing more, should have to put up with those cold temperatures. Please send that cold weather back to up to us Canucks who know what to do with it.

roadglide
01-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Where above freezing at night my home base southern nm , leaving for Tucson in a few days . I use my sweetheart and the wave 6 heater stay comfortable in Arizona.

Alpine
01-02-2018, 07:42 PM
Whoa... too cold there for sure! We are wintering in Southern California (Aguanga, Ca) 80* today, cooling tomorrow to 70*. We have been in cold (teens) before and set the furnace to keep the basement from freezing. Knock on wood, have never had anything freeze up. Obviously we unhooked the outside water during the night hours. Love our electric blanked on the bed.

We also use this electric lightweight 10.4 lbs space heater in the living area, absolutely quiet! I see the price has gone ballistic since we purchased ours at Costco for $79.00 two years ago!

"Bionaire Silent Micathermic Console Heater"

JRTJH
01-03-2018, 08:45 AM
A friend sent this to me this morning. I suppose it's one more reason to NEVER reside in a place where the temperature falls below 0......

Hodgy
01-03-2018, 08:57 AM
That is what it looks like to me.

Tinner12002
01-03-2018, 12:32 PM

I have actually while working in the construction industry, heard of guys wearing ladies hose to keep warm when working outside in weather like we've had here, they claim they are warm but I think I'll just take their word for it!! I'd just rather go somewhere warm...lol.

Hodgy
01-03-2018, 12:50 PM
I have actually while working in the construction industry, heard of guys wearing ladies hose to keep warm when working outside in weather like we've had here, they claim they are warm but I think I'll just take their word for it!! I'd just rather go somewhere warm...lol.

I knew a guy who swore by panty hose to keep warm. Never tried it myself.

ctbruce
01-03-2018, 02:41 PM
A friend sent this to me this morning. I suppose it's one more reason to NEVER reside in a place where the temperature falls below 0......Does that toilet have one of Jim's toilet liners in it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Pull Toy
01-03-2018, 03:23 PM
I remember pushing I-95 thru South Philadelphia, by the airport, back in the late 60's as a surveyor. We were in saltmarsh, so we'd lay down the same line ten times due to freeze/thaw cycle shifting the stakes.

It was so cold (how cold was it? -20 wind chill was common!), we had to get a waiver from the steel workers union to carry pliers on the job just to pull our zippers up! In the day, carpenters union was not allowed by contract, to carry any tool that could be used to "wrap" reinforcing rod ties. You'd hit the porta-john, take off your glove for 30 seconds, and not be able to fell or grasp the zipper thingie! Without pliers, you were in deep trouble when done!

sourdough
01-03-2018, 03:24 PM
Does that toilet have one of Jim's toilet liners in it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

You may be right. Looking at the picture John sent, and if my memory serves correctly on a prototype of the toilet liner that maybe I saw (or not:angel:), that protrusion at the back served some purpose in the collection/attachment process.......maybe :nonono: I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself can probably make that assessment.

JRTJH
01-03-2018, 03:25 PM
Chip, I've no idea on whether one of Jim's liners is "standard equipment" on that toilet or not.... But, for those who may not be as old as some of us, Joe Namath (Broadway Joe) wore pantyhose to keep warm (as did a number of other NFL players). There were some military members who had duties outside in very cold weather who wore pantyhose under their cotton thermals. That was in the days before technology produced effective underlayer warmth. Back in the days of wool and waffle weave cotton "long johns" people who worked outside in the winter took advantage of some unique ways to stay warm.

sourdough
01-17-2018, 09:00 PM
Ha! I hear ya!

You couldn't have talked to me about silk anything until several years ago. I have/had a couple of drawers full of thermal underwear. I used them on every cold weather hunting/fishing trip. I came back from a hunting trip by myself, in -15 weather, complaining of my chaffed butt and freezing while I was out with my "thermal" wear. She said I owed it to myself to try silk. I did and was astounded by what I thought of as "girlie" wear. Not so. Very functional and so much less bulk. I don't know how much I've got "left in me", but whatever it is I want to keep it warm....!!:lol:

Just an update on my silk "underdrawers""; they came in and I put them on today. High low 40s (I know) and lows this evening in the 20s. I've been in much colder and I know many of you would consider those temps "spring" weather....but, Nice and warm. If you haven't tried them you should. They are a bit pricey but having worn most every kind of "insulated underwear" there is IMO they are the best. So much less bulk and easy to use with your outerwear....and warmer too. LL Bean makes some good stuff so you might want to try it out if you are getting a "chaffed" butt in the cold...;) (No, I have no affiliation with LL Bean :nonono:)

dcg9381
01-18-2018, 10:06 AM
I'm running 2 x 1500 watt space heaters when it's below 40. In TX now, it's been ranging from 20-30 degrees for the last couple of days, with a low at 14. Space heaters won't keep up below 30 degrees, at least not with the door to the garage open.

I've been gone from the RV for a few days. I keep the space heaters set to turn on at 50 degrees and the propane comes on at 41.

labman
01-18-2018, 03:46 PM
38 degrees here today but last week the outdoor thermometer read -32 at my place one morning. Tucson here we come!