PDA

View Full Version : Polar Pack - Towing with heater running

plocklin
01-02-2018, 10:55 AM
My Keystone Cougar has the Polar Pack which I have used to keep my pipes from freezing while boon-docking down to 14 degrees. You have to run your central heat to keep the underbelly warm. However while towing the next 10 hrs in sub freezing temperatures my pipes did freeze up.

My question: Does anyone pull a travel trailer with the central heat running?
I did not in this case because I do not know if it is safe or if it would even work.

ctbruce
01-02-2018, 11:50 AM
When the slides are in are your registers covered? That could cause problems with your high limit switches if they are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Bisjoe
01-02-2018, 12:45 PM
There is the law in most tunnels and some other places that requires shutting off the propane valves to pass thru. For that 10 hour drive perhaps a space heater and generator?

jkohler70
01-02-2018, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure it would be any more dangerous than running with the fridge on propane.

rhagfo
01-03-2018, 08:50 PM
We have run the furnace several times while traveling without issue.

mfifield01
01-04-2018, 10:38 AM
I have run mine on accident. Left it on when I left the campground, but didn't have any issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
01-04-2018, 02:17 PM
I do it all the time in winter camping. When my slides are in they cover the air vents but the slide floor is at an angle to the floor not down directly on the floor vent. Works fine.

plocklin
01-04-2018, 04:53 PM
When the slides are in are your registers covered? That could cause problems with your high limit switches if they are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

No they are not. I was concerned about the wind blowing across the in/ out ports of the heater flame.

plocklin
01-04-2018, 04:55 PM
There is the law in most tunnels and some other places that requires shutting off the propane valves to pass thru. For that 10 hour drive perhaps a space heater and generator?

The problem with polar pack is you have to run the central heat to keep the underbelly warm. Otherwise your pipes freeze.

plocklin
01-04-2018, 07:26 PM
I'm not sure it would be any more dangerous than running with the fridge on propane.

That is a good point. I always travel with the fridge running on propane and never gave it much thought.

plocklin
01-04-2018, 07:32 PM
I do it all the time in winter camping. When my slides are in they cover the air vents but the slide floor is at an angle to the floor not down directly on the floor vent. Works fine.

Thanks for the info. I have one slide that partially covers one vent but I usually close that vent anyway to force more air to the ends and underbelly.
It sounds to me that the system must have been designed to run while moving which only makes sense. Next time I pull through sub freezing weather I will definitely give it a try.

Thanks for all the comments.