PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Speakers

sourdough
12-30-2017, 04:15 PM
There have been several threads about the poor quality of RV speakers and their replacement. I do not remember what replacements were used but I just replaced mine and wanted to give a quick update for anyone interested. As we all know the OEM speakers are terrible. I have said since I bought this trailer (2014) that I was going to replace them but just got to it.

The first dilemma (or so I thought) was the fact that the speakers measure 6 1/4" in diameter; the selection of speakers in that dimension are slim to none. The only one I could find was not acceptable. Actual dimensions of the various speaker systems was extremely difficult to determine so....

I bought 2 pairs of Kenwood KFC-1695PS 320W 3 way speakers - 6 1/2". Figured I would have to trim the cutouts. Surprise! The 6 1/2" speakers were EXACTLY the same dimensions as the 6 1/4" speakers! The hole pattern was the same as well! Basically drop in. A wonderful surprise. The existing Roberts screws could not be used in the speaker because the trim ring would not mount over them so used the provided screws through the trim ring; no problem.

The Jensen head unit is not anything resembling top of the line audio equipment, and the new speakers aren't either. If I had known the 6 1/2" speakers would just screw in I would have bought more expensive units, but, I'm sure the head will limit the performance of any speaker.

The combination is not an audiophile's dream of excellence, BUT, it is light years better than using the original speakers. I can actually tell what folks are saying when the volume is lower. There is a definite separation of bass, treble and midrange. Anyway, a worthwhile upgrade that doesn't take much time and cost less than $80 from Amazon.

Tinner12002
12-31-2017, 04:41 AM
What brand were your OEMs? Were they Boss?

Still go once
12-31-2017, 05:02 AM
Fantastic, do the exterior speakers next! That's what has me stumped.

sourdough
12-31-2017, 10:55 AM
What brand were your OEMs? Were they Boss?

They were ASA Electronics (Jensen) 24W max.

sourdough
12-31-2017, 10:57 AM

I doubt I will do the exterior speakers; we've never turned them on except during the PDI. You might pull up the ASA Electronics webpage and look at the speakers there - there might be something to help you out.

http://www.asaelectronics.com/rv/speakers.html

oldmanbill
12-31-2017, 12:38 PM
Be sure to use marine speakers for the outside, they handle getting wet.

KCSA75
12-31-2017, 02:26 PM

The external speakers on our NTU Cougar were shot when we bought the camper this fall. I'm no audiophile - mostly wanted to be able to listen to the Royals games during the summer while sitting outside - and didn't want to spend a lot of money on speakers that were going to be exposed to the weather. I did some looking around and ended up with these, primarily because of the price.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MCEKVG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Come to find out they are an exact replacement for what was in there.