PDA

View Full Version : Portable ice makers

Dcbc82
12-27-2017, 02:11 PM
I’m looking at getting a portable ice maker and have narrowed it down to maybe the Newair or Edgestar makers. Leary of the igloo and others. Any recommendations?

Terry W.
12-27-2017, 02:28 PM
I’m looking at getting a portable ice maker and have narrowed it down to maybe the Newair or Edgestar makers. Leary of the igloo and others. Any recommendations?We got the larger one from CW and have had no problems, love it

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JRTJH
12-27-2017, 02:29 PM
We have an Igloo ice maker that we bought at Sam's 4 years ago. It works well, makes enough ice (when we're on shore power) to keep us supplied with what we need for drinks and to keep the cooler filled (if we choose). It cost $89 and is essentially the same technology, same specs and same ice production (shape, size and quantity) as the NewAir which costs $135 at Sam's. I don't know what data you've seen that puts the NewAir ahead of the Igloo, but I've got no complaints with the Igloo.

chuckster57
12-27-2017, 02:29 PM
I got one from Wal mart back in 2009. Don’t recall the brand but still works good as new.

sourdough
12-27-2017, 02:43 PM
I'm not familiar with the brands you mention but I have a Dometic, the larger one if I recall, that has worked great for 3 years.

Javi
12-27-2017, 02:58 PM
I'm not familiar with the brands you mention but I have a Dometic, the larger one if I recall, that has worked great for 3 years.Ditto

Javi

ctbruce
12-27-2017, 04:11 PM
We bought a tramontina from sams. Works great and really puts out the ice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

rhagfo
12-27-2017, 08:24 PM
We have an Emerson and it easily does the job.

byrdr1
12-28-2017, 08:12 AM
Our 5-year-old one just died over the Thanksgiving camping trip.
we have already replaced it with a new Igloo one.
5 years of service for under $100.00 pretty good deal.
The new one i caught on sale cyber Monday for under $65.00

XTeacher
12-28-2017, 07:04 PM
We bought an Emerson at Target on sale for less than $100 about a year ago - love it! It's not hard ice, but it does the job. You could put it in a freezer bag and put it in the camper freezer to solidify it harder, if desired.

We keep a 5 gallon Igloo water cooler in the camper, to which we start off adding a 10 pound bag of ice and water. We also freeze two 1/2 gallon containers (cleaned 1/2 gallon milk jugs) filled with water and frozen at home and put them in the water cooler, since block ice lasts longer. As they slowly thaw, we add the water to the water cooler. When totally thawed/emptied, we refill the containers and put them in the camper freezer. We add ice from our ice maker whenever we're there to run it.

Tinner12002
12-29-2017, 03:24 AM
The larger Dometic here also. Works great, bought it used 2 yrs ago for $75!

cardinal96ss
12-29-2017, 10:47 AM
Our Igloo works well and was under $80 at a Walmart. First batch is available in minutes after plugging in..

oldmanbill
01-18-2018, 03:07 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade but they are dangerous to your health. They are the perfect environment for mold and easily create it. In an ice maker in a freezer compartment this is not a problem but ice kept melting around 50 degrees can and does create mold. Use for a day or so is fine if then allowed to dry out but constant use is a danger. And use only distilled water. I had serious health problems over this use. Once getting mold you cannot get rid of it, and bleach will destroy the ice maker. Elderly are especially susceptible to this.

rhagfo
01-18-2018, 03:52 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade but they are dangerous to your health. They are the perfect environment for mold and easily create it. In an ice maker in a freezer compartment this is not a problem but ice kept melting around 50 degrees can and does create mold. Use for a day or so is fine if then allowed to dry out but constant use is a danger. And use only distilled water. I had serious health problems over this use. Once getting mold you cannot get rid of it, and bleach will destroy the ice maker. Elderly are especially susceptible to this.

Just a matter of keeping it clean!!

Tinner12002
01-19-2018, 03:18 AM

Automatically cleans the ice when we pour the alcohol over it for our drinks!!:D

TLB
01-19-2018, 04:28 AM
We have one, don't recall the brand but they work great.
No more trips to get ice anymore.

JRTJH
01-19-2018, 07:37 AM
We mostly use our ice maker for a couple of days at a time and have never had any buildup of minerals or mold/mildew. We always run any water used for cooking/drinking through a Brita or use bottled water. We don't use "tap water" from campground supplies without filtering it, more because of the questionable (often objectionable) taste more than because of any problems that type water might cause to the ice maker. For us, there's been no need to use distilled water or to "excessively clean" the ice maker. This summer I will keep a closer eye on possible mold, but have not seen any problems yet.

sourdough
01-19-2018, 11:13 AM
We've not had any problem with buildup in ours either and we let it run weeks/months at a time. We do wipe it down occasionally when it runs out of water. We do not use tap water even though it is filtered. We only use bottled water in it.

cathcartww
01-19-2018, 04:44 PM
We have a 5 year old $75 igloo that has worked fine, and we use for months at a time. I think the internal cooling fan has died, so it is probably tie to replace. We always keep a 30 quart cooler going for canned beverages, and in cooler climates it can keep up, but when it gets hot, we have to supplement with a bag of ice every couple or three days. For cocktails, we put some of the purchased ice in the freezer, as the ice maker ice is soft and cloudy, and usually made of local water.