PDA

View Full Version : Friction Hinge Adjustment?

GF Hodder
12-21-2017, 09:45 AM
Is there a way to adjust the tension on the main door friction hinges? Our new 2018 Cougar RDS has so much tension on the friction hinges, it takes two hands to pull the door closed. It also will not open all the way. When it is opened back to the outside wall of the trailer, it pops back out about 10 inches.
Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated.

jsmith948
12-21-2017, 10:30 AM
Is there a way to adjust the tension on the main door friction hinges? Our new 2018 Cougar RDS has so much tension on the friction hinges, it takes two hands to pull the door closed. It also will not open all the way. When it is opened back to the outside wall of the trailer, it pops back out about 10 inches.
Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated.Don't know about adjusting the hinge, but, it seems the door on our trailer opens easier than it did at first.
Or we are getting used to it

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

MerlinB
12-21-2017, 11:04 AM
Sounds to me like your hinges need some lubrication. I use a silicone spray lube on mine.

Movin' on
12-22-2017, 07:38 AM
On our trailer there are 4 small hex set screws on each hinge. Using an allen wrench you can tighten or loosen the friction on the hinges. Hope this helps. :)

GF Hodder
01-03-2018, 11:25 AM
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of these set screws or could tell me where they are located on your Montana would you?

GF Hodder
01-03-2018, 11:27 AM
Used silicone spray, light lubricating oil, WD-40...it freed the hinges up for about a day. now just as stiff as before. :(

Movin' on
01-03-2018, 03:46 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of these set screws or could tell me where they are located on your Montana would you?

Here are two pics of the set screws, hope this helps. The second photo is with the door open, looking at the 4 set screws in the middle of the photo.14984

GF Hodder
01-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out in the morning.

GF Hodder
01-04-2018, 02:37 PM
Movin' On, thanks for the pics. Unfortunately, the new friction hinges do not have the set screws. I guess I will have to head to Camping World and see if anyone there knows anything about them.

GF Hodder
01-09-2018, 10:30 AM
OK, here's what I did...:)

I went to Ace Hardware and bought a little bottle of "3 in 1" oil. Took the two plastic caps off the top and bottom hinges and put several drops of oil in the hinge. Over a period of three or four hours I kept adding oil until it started to drip out of the bottom of the hinge. This appears to have lubricated it enough that it is much less "Sticky" My ultimate goal is to install a hold back latch to the outside of the door to keep it in place if it becomes too free. Until then, it is working perfect.

I thank you all for giving me suggestions and helping me sort this issue out. :)