PDA

View Full Version : Water collecting in underbelly

cnbhand
06-21-2011, 06:00 PM
I have a Cougar RKS292 2008. I have noticed when it rains, water collects in the under covering of the 5th wheel. I first noticed it a year ago and thought it was some how coming in from road puddles etc. I cut a hole in the fabric to release the water. The rig has been parked outside, and has not been moved for a month. The other day it rained and water began leaking from the hole I had previously cut. I cannot find any problems with the roof or anywhere else. Any ideas?

hankpage
06-21-2011, 07:45 PM
I have a Cougar RKS292 2008. I have noticed when it rains, water collects in the under covering of the 5th wheel. I first noticed it a year ago and thought it was some how coming in from road puddles etc. I cut a hole in the fabric to release the water. The rig has been parked outside, and has not been moved for a month. The other day it rained and water began leaking from the hole I had previously cut. I cannot find any problems with the roof or anywhere else. Any ideas?

I have a very similar trailer. (minus bedroom slide) Drove 1200 mi. in heavy rain and noticed water build up also and drained same as you. It has been a few years and have never seen water there again. The only place I can see that might channel water to the under covering would be the main slide seals. I would try there first with a hose to see if I could simulate the leak. Hope this helps, Hank

Outbackmel
06-22-2011, 07:58 AM
After almost 1 year of perfection, I have an issue. When draining the black tank, I hear sewage running through the hose and can see some through the frosted cap at the drain. HOWEVER, my wall sensor says 3/4 full:mad: Not sure if I have a clog or sensor issue. How can I check to see if there is actually large amounts of build up in the black tank?

Used my outside/in black tank high pressure "wash"; did not do the trick.

Going on a 400 mile trip next week and hopefully not pulling a 3/4 full black tank of weight with me.

Tips please.....

Thanks...

2011 36' Outback Sydney 5er....

mikell
06-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Put some Calgon in it with a bit of water to slosh around on your trip. I sometimes think condensation can be an issue

Terrydactile
06-22-2011, 09:18 AM
One thing you can do to check if the tank is emptying is to take a five gallon bucket of water and pour it down the toilet. Drain the tank and see if you get the same amount of water out as you poured in. If not you may have a clog but if you do you've got a sensor issue.

Outbackmel
06-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the tips....both make sense. I try the bucket and then the Calgon...

jje1960
06-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the tips....both make sense. I try the bucket and then the Calgon...

This is the third unit for us, all have showed inaccurate black reading after dumping. One thing I have read in a number of places is dumping a large bag of ice in the black tank prior to driving, letting it clean the waste from the walls, this supposedly helps.

cnbhand
06-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks Hankpage for your input. I guess we got side tracked on my issue of rain water collecting in underbelly. Appreciate any other comments on this problem.

Terrydactile
06-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks Hankpage for your input. I guess we got side tracked on my issue of rain water collecting in underbelly. Appreciate any other comments on this problem.

I had rain water getting into the very back section of our under belly. I discovered that rain would run down the back of the TT outside wall and would run into the underbelly. It does this on my TT because they left the edge of the underbelly material stick out from under the back just slightly. Since I dont have any insulation under there I just drilled a small hole (1/8") in the lowest most section and it just drains out.

MAllen
11-02-2013, 09:31 AM
I had rain water getting into the very back section of our under belly. I discovered that rain would run down the back of the TT outside wall and would run into the underbelly. It does this on my TT because they left the edge of the underbelly material stick out from under the back just slightly. Since I dont have any insulation under there I just drilled a small hole (1/8") in the lowest most section and it just drains out.
We have the same issue with our 2011 Cougar (35') 5th wheel. Camping World dropped the entire belly covering and dried it out, but never determined where water was coming from. After sitting for the winter, I pulled trailer down my driveway and a lot of water came rushing out from the under belly. Took to my local RV shop, and they believe water is traveling down sides and follow the rounded corners on bottom and water is going between the underbelly covering (between the seams). They fixed so the side edge is on the outside of the belly material instead of on the inside and they drilled a small hole in the under belly material. I still had water when I checked the other day; going to let it set and check in a few weeks. I posted the same issue a week or so ago, but I'm new here and don't know how to find it. Good luck as we have been really frustrated with their so called "Polar Package". I am entertaining the notion to remove all of the underbelly material.