PDA

View Full Version : Timbren SES

Ruffus
12-20-2017, 09:46 AM
I belong to several RV groups for information but this group seems to be more knowledgeable in RV matters so here is a question that I really need help with. Over the years and several different rig setups I have have used air shock, air bags and springs spacers to level our truck and fifth wheels. Our latest unit is a Keystone Alpine 3500 which weights in around 15.5k. Towing with a 2016 F350 dually. The truck squats about 1.5 inches when hooked up. I have been reading about the TIMBREN SES system and want to know if anyone on this forum is using it and how well does it work?
Thanks in advance.

Retirednotdead
12-20-2017, 10:13 AM
We had our Ram 3500 squat around 3 or 4 inches when hooked up to the toyhauler so I did what your doing. There are a few threads that go into comparisons.
My take is that the Timbrens give the truck support, we only squat an inch now with no worries about air issues. When you aren't towing the Timbrens are up off the axle so don't make the truck too rough.
The Timbrens basically sit on the axle and the truck load compresses them like a spring.
Another way to go is with bigger stops for the helper Springs. I saw someone removed the stock rubbers and made up a spacer to raise up the stops.

Hope this helps. You can have the Timbrens sit right on the axle at the start to further reduce squat but you would affect your unloaded ride.
Peter

travelin texans
12-20-2017, 12:18 PM
Mine only squatted enough to make it level, I used the Timbrens to help keep it off the overload springs when empty, they have definitely helped except for speed bumps & horrible bridge transitions. With the 5er connected they touch the axle & work like a spring.

Tinner12002
12-20-2017, 12:23 PM
From my experience with them and having a truck that rode like a log wagon when loaded, I HIGHLY recommend air bags instead, that is unless you like driving a truck that feels like it has no suspension. That's just my opinion on them.

cpaulsen
12-20-2017, 05:03 PM
Have Timbrens on my Ford and the ride is the same.

Ruffus
12-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Thanks all for the info.

kampfitt
12-21-2017, 07:05 AM
Try Torklift Stableloads in for hauling, out for normal, very easy install. Have them on my Chevy and love them.
https://www.torklift.com/rv/stableload#appguide

Mad Cow
01-22-2018, 10:43 PM
Don't overlook SumoSprings as an option. Nice balance between air bags and Timbren type of supports. I use them on my 2500. they really smooth the ride under a load.

notanlines
01-23-2018, 01:19 AM
Ruffus, let's look at the realistic side of the equation. If your dually only squats 1 1/2 inches with an alpine loaded and ready to go that is considerably less than what is normal. Would you prefer that your truck not give a lick with 4000 pounds in the bed? It has to give SOME or your springs wouldn't be doing their job.

5th_Wheelin
01-23-2018, 06:20 AM
I also use the Timbren's and have no complaints about the ride. My truck squats in the rear until it sits level now.

ADQ K9
01-23-2018, 09:18 AM
Been thinking about getting the Timbrens, but am holding off till the future ATV aquisitions. I have had them on previous vehicles, and was pleased.
My truck levels out when I hook up my trailer I have a feeling that another 1200 lbs of ATV's will make it squat though

cardinal96ss
01-23-2018, 09:22 AM
notanlines is right on. My truck rides nice an smooth when down on the springs a little. 1 1/2 inches is a little.