PDA

View Full Version : 2018/19

Harleydodge
12-20-2017, 05:28 AM
Planning ahead for our official retirement in 2018.
We plan on hitting the road in early October and our first stop will be Talledega (which I have already started a thread on).

After that we are heading East, likely to the Georgia Coast (Hilton Head maybe?)

From there we plan to store the RV for about 4 weeks while we head home for Deer season, then head back and head south for Florida.

We are looking at the Ft. Meyers area and in particular, a campground called
San Carlos RV park http://www.sancarlosrv.com/ for a 4-5 week stay.

After that, we plan on heading to Galveston, Texas and have been looking at a place called Sandpiper RV Resort http://www.sandpiperrvresort.com/
for another month or so.

Then we plan on heading North to the Nashville area (haven't nailed down a particular site there yet)

Then likely home to Canada for the summer.

Any experiences with any of the above mentioned campgrounds or things we "must see" in any of those areas? (Nashville's obvious ones need not be mentioned, we plan on doing all the touristy stops and should not have an issue finding things to do there) We also will likely do Memphis while in that part of the Country.

Tinner12002
12-20-2017, 05:54 AM
Can't give you any particulars but it sure sounds like an awesome plan!!

gearhead
12-21-2017, 04:43 PM
Sandpiper may be Class A motorhomes only. You might want to call them.

bobbecky
12-21-2017, 09:45 PM
This photo is from the listing on the Good Sam site, shows a lot of 5th wheels.

Harleydodge
12-22-2017, 04:49 AM
Sandpiper may be Class A motorhomes only. You might want to call them.
Ya I don't think so, unless they recently changed. I have explored their site and a bunch of reviews.

gearhead
12-22-2017, 06:02 AM
OK, sounds like all is well then. I saw them saying on their site that they were a "Class A" resort with a pic of a motorhome and didn't look any farther.

ken56
12-29-2017, 06:49 AM
I have been at Siesta Bay Resort since 12/1/17 right around the corner from the San Carlos RV resort. From the road it looks like a good place but that is a limited view. The area is alright but traffic can be heavy. Lots of restaurants and junk shopping and its just up the road from the beach, maybe 2 miles if that. Ft. Myers is not a "tourist" destination really in my opinion. Nothing here to do but golf or fish and not a lot to see. The Edison/Ford winter estate is here though.

Nashville is a nice city if you want country music and honky tonks and some night life. Depending on how long you plan on staying there you may get bored. A no miss thing to do though is visit the Hermitage, Andrew Jacksons home. I have stayed at the Yogi Bear CG on Music Valley Drive and its as good as any park in the area. Its right next to the Two Rivers CG and its the same feel and there is a KOA up the road along with a Camping World close by. Traffic is nuts to say the least. Avoid rush hour at all costs. There is a good bit of road construction going on too but by the time you get there it may be done, at least some of it. You might consider the Smoky Mountains area. Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. More to do.

Galveston is nice too as we have stayed across the inlet on the Bolivar Peninsula. Don't expect pristine beaches and the water is filthy, I would not expect to swim in it. Can't say anything about your choice of a park there but the area is nice. Town is OK but again there is not much to do really unless you fish or want to go up into Houston and see the Space Center there.

I always go on line and order the visitor guides from the states we visit. They have a lot of good info and are broken down into regions with region specific maps. I find them very helpful to have the printed guide to pick up and look at instead of doing it all on line. Good luck with the planning and the retirement. I highly recommend it.

Harleydodge
12-29-2017, 07:04 AM
I have been at Siesta Bay Resort since 12/1/17 right around the corner from the San Carlos RV resort. From the road it looks like a good place but that is a limited view. The area is alright but traffic can be heavy. Lots of restaurants and junk shopping and its just up the road from the beach, maybe 2 miles if that. Ft. Myers is not a "tourist" destination really in my opinion. Nothing here to do but golf or fish and not a lot to see. The Edison/Ford winter estate is here though.

Nashville is a nice city if you want country music and honky tonks and some night life. Depending on how long you plan on staying there you may get bored. I have stayed at the Yogi Bear CG on Music Valley Drive and its as good as any park in the area. Its right next to the Two Rivers CG and its the same feel and there is a KOA up the road along with a Camping World close by. Traffic is nuts to say the least. Avoid rush hour at all costs. There is a good bit of road construction going on too but by the time you get there it may be done, at least some of it. You might consider the Smoky Mountains area. Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. More to do.

Galveston is nice too as we have stayed across the inlet on the Bolivar Peninsula. Don't expect pristine beaches and the water is filthy, I would not expect to swim in it. Can't say anything about your choice of a park there but the area is nice. Town is OK but again there is not much to do really unless you fish or want to go up into Houston and see the Space Center there.

I always go on line and order the visitor guides from the states we visit. They have a lot of good info and are broken down into regions with region specific maps. I find them very helpful to have the printed guide to pick up and look at instead of doing it all on line. Good luck with the planning and the retirement. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for taking the time to review the areas we are looking at staying.
It means a lot.

How do you like Siesta Bay?

gearhead
12-29-2017, 07:15 AM
I'll defend Galveston a bit..no the beaches are not pristine. Some in "town" are cleaned if they get seaweed bad, otherwise not. The water is not filthy; it's sandy or sometimes muddy maybe. If the wind is blowing from the west it will disturb the sandbars in the water and causes the sandy or muddy conditions. Predominate Galveston wind is southeast which is perpendicular to the sandbars and will result in what we call "green to the beach" water conditions. Everyone I know swims in it.
Galveston definitely doesn't have Florida white beaches and blue water though. There are too many rivers in the upper coast dumping sand and silt in the Gulf.
South Texas has prettier beaches if that's what you want.

Harleydodge
12-29-2017, 07:20 AM
I'll defend Galveston a bit..no the beaches are not pristine. Some in "town" are cleaned if they get seaweed bad, otherwise not. The water is not filthy; it's sandy or sometimes muddy maybe. If the wind is blowing from the west it will disturb the sandbars in the water and causes the sandy or muddy conditions. Predominate Galveston wind is southeast which is perpendicular to the sandbars and will result in what we call "green to the beach" water conditions. Everyone I know swims in it.
Galveston definitely doesn't have Florida white beaches and blue water though. There are too many rivers in the upper coast dumping sand and silt in the Gulf.
South Texas has prettier beaches if that's what you want.
Thanks Gearhead.
We are not too fussy, and realize we won't be in a "beach resort" type area.
We would likely only use it for walking anyway.
From my understanding, the water is
pretty cool (even for us "Canucks") in February, which is when we plan to be there.

:cool:Thanks for your reply.

gearhead
12-29-2017, 07:32 AM
10-4
I suggest taking the free ferry across to Bolivar peninsula and maybe getting lunch at Stingaree Marina. Real low key place. If the weather is nice you can sit on the deck and watch the boat traffic on The Intercostal Waterway. Sportfishermen may be coming and going as well. I launch my boat there occasionally and it's a popular place. They have a link to a web cam on the website. https://www.stingaree.com/
February will be a bit slow on the beachfront. Usually just hardcore fishermen, snowbirds, and locals out and about.
A bit too cool to swim.
webcam: https://www.bolivarpeninsulatexas.com/Webcams/Stingaree-Bay

Harleydodge
12-29-2017, 07:37 AM
10-4
I suggest taking the free ferry across to Bolivar peninsula and maybe getting lunch at Stingaree Marina. Real low key place. If the weather is nice you can sit on the deck and watch the boat traffic on The Intercostal Waterway. Sportfishermen may be coming and going as well. I launch my boat there occasionally and it's a popular place. They have a link to a web cam on the website. https://www.stingaree.com/
February will be a bit slow on the beachfront. Usually just hardcore fishermen, snowbirds, and locals out and about.
A bit too cool to swim.
Exellent info, thanks.
Yes I noticed that ferry on Google Maps and will most definitely be Riding in that direction at some point.
Love seafood and will definitely check that place out.
Thanks again!:cool:

JRTJH
12-29-2017, 07:44 AM
I'll vouch for Stingaree Marina. It's a "got to go one time" place to sit on the deck and watch the million dollar boats come and go. Food is good, beer cold and mixed drinks are made right. I don't know that I'd call it a "neighborhood destination" kind of bar/restaurant, but it is a "must see" one time.

Harleydodge
12-29-2017, 01:06 PM
Alrighty then...2 recommendations.
Officially added it to the To-Do list, Thanks!

notanlines
12-29-2017, 02:55 PM
Harley, the Gulf is very cold in the winter. Shallow water = cold water in the winter. The Gulf side out of Fort Myers is normally in the 66 degree area whereas Miami is normally in the 75 degree range in February. Keep in mind that if you head to south Texas in the South Padre Island area you will not find beaches like you are expecting. These are very gravelly and shallow for a long way out from shore. On the positive side you can drive on the beach.

ken56
12-29-2017, 07:11 PM
OK, I may have been a bit hard on Galveston....I enjoyed our stay in the area and I would go back. Gaidos seafood restaurant is a must do when you are there. Have their bread pudding for dessert. So delish you will want to lick the bowl.

While you are at the San Carlos resort you will be very close to Trico Seafood Market. Good small market with fresh off the boat Sanibel Pink Shrimp and fresh fish. They had the best prices I could find in the area. 12.95 lb. for large shrimp. Same road but further down is The Shrimp Dock Bar and Grille. Excellent. The shrimp beach bread and the shrimp corn chowder is so good you will go back for more. Great place with outdoor dining right on the channel.

Siesta Bay is a nice park but its mostly a permanent/seasonal type of park. Nice amenities, clean and well run. No dogs are allowed and 2 indoor cats is the limit for pets. We are here helping out a friend do some repairs to her trailer home, damage from the hurricane and she is a permanent resident. My trailer is 37 ft. long and I could barely maneuver it into the space because things are so close together. Narrow roads and not much space between your neighbor. If it hadn't been for helping her I would not have come here but again, its a nice park really. You made the right choice with San Carlos park. Traffic over the bridge to Ft. Myers Beach is awful though. Be very careful driving around because you have the 2 extremes of the "old" folks driving slow and the young whipper snappers wanting to be the next Nascar phenom.

Harleydodge
12-29-2017, 07:39 PM
OK, I may have been a bit hard on Galveston....I enjoyed our stay in the area and I would go back. Gaidos seafood restaurant is a must do when you are there. Have their bread pudding for dessert. So delish you will want to lick the bowl.

While you are at the San Carlos resort you will be very close to Trico Seafood Market. Good small market with fresh off the boat Sanibel Pink Shrimp and fresh fish. They had the best prices I could find in the area. 12.95 lb. for large shrimp. Same road but further down is The Shrimp Dock Bar and Grille. Excellent. The shrimp beach bread and the shrimp corn chowder is so good you will go back for more. Great place with outdoor dining right on the channel.

Siesta Bay is a nice park but its mostly a permanent/seasonal type of park. Nice amenities, clean and well run. No dogs are allowed and 2 indoor cats is the limit for pets. We are here helping out a friend do some repairs to her trailer home, damage from the hurricane and she is a permanent resident. My trailer is 37 ft. long and I could barely maneuver it into the space because things are so close together. Narrow roads and not much space between your neighbor. If it hadn't been for helping her I would not have come here but again, its a nice park really. You made the right choice with San Carlos park. Traffic over the bridge to Ft. Myers Beach is awful though. Be very careful driving around because you have the 2 extremes of the "old" folks driving slow and the young whipper snappers wanting to be the next Nascar phenom.

Thanks for the info and will definitely check on the spots you mentioned.
I am aware of what driving down there is like, as My Mom has a place on the Atlantic side. Definitely need to have your head on a pivot at all times, especially on the Bike:eek:

ken56
12-30-2017, 07:55 PM
Take the trip over to Sanibel and Captiva island. $6.00 toll over the causeway but worth the price for a day. Try out the Mucky Duck on Captiva.

Eastham
12-31-2017, 04:35 AM
That area of ft Myers is very nice .As already mentioned the traffic from that park is a nightmare. In Jan threw March it backs up several miles before the bridge.my cousin lives at the foot of the bridge and they stay home most of the time jan.to mar.We usually walk over the bridge to avoid traffic and parking issues.

Harleydodge
12-31-2017, 04:53 AM
Take the trip over to Sanibel and Captiva island. $6.00 toll over the causeway but worth the price for a day. Try out the Mucky Duck on Captiva.

Thanks for the tip, we will check that out. Plan to see those places for sure.

Harleydodge
12-31-2017, 04:55 AM
That area of ft Myers is very nice .As already mentioned the traffic from that park is a nightmare. In Jan threw March it backs up several miles before the bridge.my cousin lives at the foot of the bridge and they stay home most of the time jan.to mar.We usually walk over the bridge to avoid traffic and parking issues.
Ya the traffic thing sounds like a bit of a bummer. It may make things a little inconvenient.

ken56
01-01-2018, 03:18 PM
On the bright side Harley, Traffic is time of day specific...but all the snowbirds had not arrived there as yet, but they're coming. We left thismorning from Siesta Bay and south bound 75 was heavy with many RV's and motorhomes. North bound was light traffic until I hit the Tampa area. The light at Buttonwood is your friend for going to Trico seafood market and the restaurants on the same road. Should you be inclined to go to Key West there is the Key West Express ferry right there too. 125 per person round trip. Takes about 3.5 hours to get there...I did not go, too pricey for me to justify it.

Harleydodge
01-01-2018, 04:37 PM
On the bright side Harley, Traffic is time of day specific...but all the snowbirds had not arrived there as yet, but they're coming. We left thismorning from Siesta Bay and south bound 75 was heavy with many RV's and motorhomes. North bound was light traffic until I hit the Tampa area. The light at Buttonwood is your friend for going to Trico seafood market and the restaurants on the same road. Should you be inclined to go to Key West there is the Key West Express ferry right there too. 125 per person round trip. Takes about 3.5 hours to get there...I did not go, too pricey for me to justify it.
Thanks for the update Ken. Safe travels.
I did notice that ferry to the Keys and will likely make a trip out of it at some point.

Harleydodge
01-21-2018, 03:38 AM
Update:

We are starting to book places/sites now.

As has been mentioned around the community, we are finding that booking early is definitely recommended whenever possible.

We Decided to opt out of Taledega this year, as we are going to return to Michigan for the August race with friends.

As such, we will officially begin our "retirement inaugural trip" in October (2018) with stays in Myrtle Beach at the Myrtle Beach Travel Park (http://www.myrtlebeachtravelpark.com/) for 2 weeks, which is beachside and quite "commercial" looking.

From there we move to Hilton Head Harbor RV resort and Marina (https://www.hiltonheadharbor.com/), which will be a little more "upscale" from the looks of it. 2 weeks there as well.

From there we will store the RV and drive back home.
We are as yet undecided as to whether we will stay home until after Christmas or not. In any case, we will once again drive south, picking up the RV and head to FLA
for 2 or 3 months. We are still considering San Carlos RV Park (http://www.sancarlosrv.com/), but now also considering Riverside RV Resort and CG (https://rvonthego.com/florida/riverside-rv-resort/) on a recommendation from a friend.
We will visit each place in person next Month, as we will be flying down to see Mom, and will make a decision then.

We have the Month of March (2019) Booked at Jamaica Beach RV Park (https://www.jbrv.net/) on Galveston Island.

April 2019 will be split between (likely) a week in Nashville, where we are considering Two Rivers RV Park (http://www.tworiverscampground.com/) and the remainder (likely) at Anchor Down RV resort (http://www.anchordownrvresort.com/) near Dandridge, Tn. (From recommendations and reviews read here in these Forums!)

Then home again to "re-group" :)

Hope to meet some of you good folks down the road someplace :)

ken56
01-22-2018, 04:31 AM
Sounds like you have it well under control. I can tell you first hand that Hilton Head Harbor is really nice. You will love it.

We have stayed at the park right next to Two Rivers in Nashville and again, you will be happy with your choice. Its not fancy like Hilton Head but its nice.

I live not far from Anchor Down and its on the scale of Hilton Head. VERY NICE with a beautiful view over Douglas Lake and the Smoky Mountains. Its not terribly far from the action in Pigeon Forge but it IS nice and quiet and peaceful.

We have also stayed on the Bolivar Peninsula in the Galveston area. Can't chime in on Jamaica Beach but the area is nice. I can tell you to go to Gaido's Seafood Restaurant for a fantastic dinner while you are there. We loved it.

I hope this added some peace of mind on your choices.

sourdough
01-22-2018, 09:14 AM
Update:

We are starting to book places/sites now.

As has been mentioned around the community, we are finding that booking early is definitely recommended whenever possible.

We Decided to opt out of Taledega this year, as we are going to return to Michigan for the August race with friends.

As such, we will officially begin our "retirement inaugural trip" in October (2018) with stays in Myrtle Beach at the Myrtle Beach Travel Park (http://www.myrtlebeachtravelpark.com/) for 2 weeks, which is beachside and quite "commercial" looking.

From there we move to Hilton Head Harbor RV resort and Marina (https://www.hiltonheadharbor.com/), which will be a little more "upscale" from the looks of it. 2 weeks there as well.

From there we will store the RV and drive back home.
We are as yet undecided as to whether we will stay home until after Christmas or not. In any case, we will once again drive south, picking up the RV and head to FLA
for 2 or 3 months. We are still considering San Carlos RV Park (http://www.sancarlosrv.com/), but now also considering Riverside RV Resort and CG (https://rvonthego.com/florida/riverside-rv-resort/) on a recommendation from a friend.
We will visit each place in person next Month, as we will be flying down to see Mom, and will make a decision then.

We have the Month of March (2019) Booked at Jamaica Beach RV Park (https://www.jbrv.net/) on Galveston Island.

April 2019 will be split between (likely) a week in Nashville, where we are considering Two Rivers RV Park (http://www.tworiverscampground.com/) and the remainder (likely) at Anchor Down RV resort (http://www.anchordownrvresort.com/) near Dandridge, Tn. (From recommendations and reviews read here in these Forums!)

Then home again to "re-group" :)

Hope to meet some of you good folks down the road someplace :)

I will 2nd the recommendation for Gaidos in Galveston. They make good food. One of my favorites, albeit rather "commercial" I guess, is the Rainforest. We always stay at the San Luis resort and you can watch the volcano erupt and roar from the balcony. Inside the grandkids love the animals (as do I), thunder and rain. Corny? A little I guess. Fun? Absolutely (to me).

At Hilton Head you might stop by Barnacle Bill's to get some fresh fish if you like to cook your own. First place I had ever got fresh wahoo. Figured it would be like the king mackerel, and it was pretty much, but I think it might have been a tad better (and we like kingfish).

Harleydodge
01-22-2018, 05:56 PM
Sounds like you have it well under control. I can tell you first hand that Hilton Head Harbor is really nice. You will love it.

We have stayed at the park right next to Two Rivers in Nashville and again, you will be happy with your choice. Its not fancy like Hilton Head but its nice.

I live not far from Anchor Down and its on the scale of Hilton Head. VERY NICE with a beautiful view over Douglas Lake and the Smoky Mountains. Its not terribly far from the action in Pigeon Forge but it IS nice and quiet and peaceful.

We have also stayed on the Bolivar Peninsula in the Galveston area. Can't chime in on Jamaica Beach but the area is nice. I can tell you to go to Gaido's Seafood Restaurant for a fantastic dinner while you are there. We loved it.

I hope this added some peace of mind on your choices.

I will 2nd the recommendation for Gaidos in Galveston. They make good food. One of my favorites, albeit rather "commercial" I guess, is the Rainforest. We always stay at the San Luis resort and you can watch the volcano erupt and roar from the balcony. Inside the grandkids love the animals (as do I), thunder and rain. Corny? A little I guess. Fun? Absolutely (to me).

At Hilton Head you might stop by Barnacle Bill's to get some fresh fish if you like to cook your own. First place I had ever got fresh wahoo. Figured it would be like the king mackerel, and it was pretty much, but I think it might have been a tad better (and we like kingfish).

Thanks to both of you for the reassurances and recommendations.
We will try Gaidos for sure and look up Barnacle Bills.
Yes, absolutely, hearing positive things about our choices does ease our minds, as we are so new to all of this. Thanks again.

The most interesting thing I have found so far is the many different ways that parks take reservations.
For instance, Myrtle Beach travel park would not guarantee us a particular site, but did let us book a "preferred area", so that we know we will be on on of 8 sites in an area we picked.
At Hilton head we could not choose a site at all, but were told we would be driven around in a golf cart when we arrive and could pick wherever we wanted that was open.
Jamaica Beach let us choose the exact site we wanted.
I didn't realize it would differ so much from place to place.

ken56
01-22-2018, 06:18 PM
Just a point of information on Hilton Head Harbor RV Park. Those sites are privately owned and the park manages the rental, thus the drive you around so you can choose your own site lest they be accused of playing favorites with the owners. Now you know.

Harleydodge
01-22-2018, 06:24 PM
Just a point of information on Hilton Head Harbor RV Park. Those sites are privately owned and the park manages the rental, thus the drive you around so you can choose your own site lest they be accused of playing favorites with the owners. Now you know.

Aha! :) That makes sense..

JRTJH
01-22-2018, 07:19 PM

Additionally, if an owner "expects to be away for 3 months" and management reserves his site, should he return to use the site during the reserved time frame, it can cause problems. So, it's "safer for everyone" to just not reserve specific sites, that way there's not an issue where the owner wants to kick someone off a site or someone who reserves a site isn't "miffed" when the owner returns and the sit is occupied when he arrives.....

Ain't dealing with people "exciting" ??????

Harleydodge
02-19-2018, 07:45 PM
Well....here we sit at my Mom's place in FL.
We have had some time to check out a few places in person and let me say....wow!
I'm glad we did.
We found a few new places on the Atlantic side of Florida that looked OK.

We visited San Carlos RV park on the Gulf Coast today and were we ever glad we didn't book that place unseen.
There is absolutely NO WAY we would could ever manoeuvre in that tiny park. I have no idea how any of the units in there ever got where they are, and the sites are so cramped most of the RVS could not even open their awenings all the way.
Not for us.

We also saw Riverside, and that place would so far be our first choice.
Sites were HUGE in the newer part.

Mostly we are surprised at what a "lottery" it will be to try and get ANY site for 2 months next year in south Central Florida. It's crazy busy and EVERYWHERE is full.
I hope we will get something decent but now realize we won't necessarily get our 1st Choice of parks, much less sites.
It's been a real eye opener to be down here in high season.

I will keep this thread updated once we finally (hopefully ) get something booked.