PDA

View Full Version : Aux. Tank?

Harleydodge
12-18-2017, 05:15 AM
Just wondering if anyone out there is running an Auxiliary or larger aftermarket Fuel Tank, and if so, which one and how do you like it?

I am considering adding one to my 3500 CTD Longbed and am trying to decide on the best route.

The aftermarket replacement Tank from Titan looks good, and would about double my capacity.

There are (obviously) several other types of in-bed tanks as well. but I am Leary about having to manually pump fuel from an Aux tank into the factory tank, and also Leary of the the ones that "pump" for a fixed amount of time and then shut off. That just seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

In any case, what are you guys running, and what are your experiences?

xrated
12-18-2017, 05:38 AM
It seems there was a pretty lengthy thread about this topic not long ago. You might want to search for that one and see if it answers your questions

Here's one. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29835&highlight=Auxiliary+fuel+tank

And another. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21220&highlight=Auxiliary+fuel+tank

And another. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23426&highlight=Auxiliary+fuel+tank

Javi
12-18-2017, 05:41 AM
Titan would be my first choice..

Harleydodge
12-18-2017, 06:00 AM
It seems there was a pretty lengthy thread about this topic not long ago. You might want to search for that one and see if it answers your questions

Here's one. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29835&highlight=Auxiliary+fuel+tank

And another. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21220&highlight=Auxiliary+fuel+tank

And another. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23426&highlight=Auxiliary+fuel+tank

Thanks X, I did search but for some reason It did not return those results. Must have been a Typo? anyway thanks, I knew I had read a bit about it on here at one time.

xrated
12-18-2017, 06:07 AM
You're welcome! And if I were to go with a larger tank vs. an aux. tank, Titan is the way to go, from everything I've read and heard. Javi nailed it.

Harleydodge
12-18-2017, 06:25 AM
You're welcome! And if I were to go with a larger tank vs. an aux. tank, Titan is the way to go, from everything I've read and heard. Javi nailed it.

Yep, I think that would be my first choice as well,
That would about double my capacity.
Tripling it is also very tempting, but I'm trying to weigh the fact that with an in-bed option you are adding a bunch of connections that will possibly leak and or fail at some point.

I also wonder how well a gravity feed system will work and what kind of check valves come into play so that there is no overflow from the stock fill neck.

xrated
12-18-2017, 06:40 AM
I chose to buy an aux tank that is "L" shaped. It fits in the bed with the bottom part of the L going under my cross bed toolbox. It is the type that you have to add a pump of some type. I've got an electric pump (12 volt of course) and an inline fuel filter. It's a 42 gallon tank and with the 37.5 gallon tank that comes on the long bed Dually, I have right at 80 gallons for a trip. I don't mind having to get out and pump fuel, and usually plan it at a Pilot or other truck stop so that we can take a bathroom break and fill the coffee cups back up. I enjoy getting out to stretch and walking around a bit, so it's never been an issue. I have had to pump a couple of times while my wife holds an umbrella for me, but basically that is a pretty minor annoyance.

notanlines
12-18-2017, 08:11 AM
Ours is the gravity feed RDS tank from Northern Tools. Here is the site: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_541559_541559
Installation took about 35 minutes and has never leaked a drop in 100K miles. Ours actually holds 45 gallons if you fill it at a slight slant. There are many good options out there. Not one is "the best." Keep asking questions and decide what is best for you.

Barbell
12-18-2017, 09:26 AM
I installed a 40 gal tank bought off Amazon Prime, mainly because I could get it w/ free shipping. Same tank from Northern Tool would cost about $150 in shipping. Cost was around $400+/-. This tank (don't remember brand) is only 9 inched front to back and fits in front of my tool box; both same height. Because the outlet is an inch or so above bottom of tank, I can only get about 36 or so gal in it when I refill. I ran a hose thru bedside (I have same truck, 3500 dually longbed), there is a hole there; and plumbed into filler neck. No pump, etc; gravity feed. You can buy the kit w/ the tank. It is just a tee that fits into filler neck and hose from tank attaches there. All clamps included. Tank has a shut-off valve at outlet. I put heavy rubber mat under and in front of tank to prevent rubbing on metal bed. Gives me nearly 70 gal of fuel which is close to 800 miles range towing. Have no need to fuel while 5ver is attached so much easier to find cheap fuel.

Harleydodge
12-18-2017, 09:26 AM
Ours is the gravity feed RDS tank from Northern Tools. Here is the site: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_541559_541559
Installation took about 35 minutes and has never leaked a drop in 100K miles. Ours actually holds 45 gallons if you fill it at a slight slant. There are many good options out there. Not one is "the best." Keep asking questions and decide what is best for you.

Glad to hear that notanlines. Good feedback, thanks.

Harleydodge
12-18-2017, 09:28 AM
I installed a 40 gal tank bought off Amazon Prime, mainly because I could get it w/ free shipping. Same tank from Northern Tool would cost about $150 in shipping. Cost was around $400+/-. This tank (don't remember brand) is only 9 inched front to back and fits in front of my tool box; both same height. Because the outlet is an inch or so above bottom of tank, I can only get about 36 or so gal in it when I refill. I ran a hose thru bedside (I have same truck, 3500 dually longbed), there is a hole there; and plumbed into filler neck. No pump, etc; gravity feed. You can buy the kit w/ the tank. It is just a tee that fits into filler neck and hose from tank attaches there. All clamps included. Tank has a shut-off valve at outlet. I put heavy rubber mat under and in front of tank to prevent rubbing on metal bed. Gives me nearly 70 gal of fuel which is close to 800 miles range towing. Have no need to fuel while 5ver is attached so much easier to find cheap fuel.

I'll look that up as well. Prime member with them also. Thanks

Bisjoe
12-18-2017, 09:30 AM
My F150 has a 36 gallon tank, and I always fill it up at at or just below half in order to avoid the pain of close to $100 filling it. I haven't been on a long enough trip with the trailer yet to see the mileage but I suppose at some point next summer I'll wish it was even bigger.

Tinner12002
12-18-2017, 10:04 AM
I have also thought about getting a tank/toolbox combo from RDS. They are gravity feed but I plan on using a normally closed 12v valve in line so I can open and close it from the drivers seat.

Tinner12002
12-18-2017, 10:18 AM
Just another point to consider, if you happen to decide on an in the bed tank, make sure its a DOT approved tank. The tanks that most tractor stores sell don't have the fittings for draining into a main tank because there're not DOT approved for that. They are made to put fuel in tractor or another piece of equipment.

Harleydodge
12-18-2017, 10:54 AM
Just another point to consider, if you happen to decide on an in the bed tank, make sure its a DOT approved tank. The tanks that most tractor stores sell don't have the fittings for draining into a main tank because there're not DOT approved for that. They are made to put fuel in tractor or another piece of equipment.

Thanks Tinner, another good point, which I was aware of.
Where I live I need to have my truck safetied yearly (stupid, as it's not used at all for commercial purposes, but whatever...) and I will need to make sure that whatever I do end up doing, that it will still pass. I will be sure to talk to the proper authority before I make a final decision.

travelin texans
12-18-2017, 02:59 PM
Something else to check, a lot of the in bed aux fuel tanks are not designed for gasoline only diesel. The Titan replacement tanks are designed for both.

Tinner12002
12-19-2017, 04:31 AM
Something else to check, a lot of the in bed aux fuel tanks are not designed for gasoline only diesel. The Titan replacement tanks are designed for both.

So you can run gas in yours also, I hope not! Lol!

Javi
12-19-2017, 05:17 AM

So you can run gas in yours also, I hope not! Lol!

Very important information for those who guzzle gasoline...

Back in the early 70's I drove a 3/4 ton GMC with a 305 cu inch V6 and put two 20 gallon tanks under the fenders.. that way I had 60+ gallons of gasoline, and at 8 mpg towing peanut trailers that was important... very few in-bed tanks are certified for gasoline..

xrated
12-19-2017, 07:29 AM
And if they are certified for gasoline, they're expensive....and the pumps are more expensive. The only thing cheaper is the cost of the fuel....gas is cheaper than diesel.

hornet28
12-19-2017, 11:16 AM
I've had the same 50 gal. TransFer Flow tank in two trucks in the last 14 years without a problem leaking. Over 100K in the first truck and 75K+ in the second. I also plumbed a 70 gal. Transfer Flow tank for my brother who hotshotted RVs. With his it was the tank only not their automatic system. I used a 12 volt pump, ran the line into the vent tube, installed an auxiliary gas gauge in the cab and a on/off switch for the pump with a separate flashing light showing when the pump was on. He put over 300K on it without a problem

Harleydodge
12-19-2017, 04:20 PM
Great info, thanks to all.
I will likely do something this spring, but still not sure exactly which way I will go.
Really leaning towards the in-bed aux tank, just for the maximum amount of fuel.

hornet28
12-19-2017, 08:02 PM
Great info, thanks to all.
I will likely do something this spring, but still not sure exactly which way I will go.
Really leaning towards the in-bed aux tank, just for the maximum amount of fuel.

Per gal added an in bed tank is the least expensive way to go. Even less if you find a used tank. I bought a used 90 gal TransFer Flow for under $200 a couple of years ago off Craigslist

Tinner12002
12-20-2017, 03:11 AM
Also note that just because someone puts a 90 gal aux tank in their truck doesn't mean they have to put 90 gal in it each time.

Javi
12-20-2017, 04:49 AM
A personal observation... I bought a long-bed dually... first so I could safely carry the pin weight of my present trailer and pretty much any other the DW might fall in love with... But secondly... because I wanted to be able to carry a lot of STUFF in the bed... :D Putting a aux tank in the bed... seems like I just gave up most of the bed..

In my case a Titan tank is 65 gallons.. towing that's something like 500-600 miles with a safety margin.. I'm thinking I can find me some fuel before that... Not to mention that at 68 the bladder ain't what it used to be.. :D

Harleydodge
12-20-2017, 05:01 AM
All good points again.
The 8ft bed would easily allow for a "smaller" , say 50 gallon, tank and still leave lots of extra room for "stuff"
Also, I think I could easily still load my Quad in there with the hitch removed.
The Dresser (Harley) might be another story though. Not likely to become an issue, as I've never loaded it in there and don't plan to. Only reason would be in an emergency situation, but I carry insurance for that, so...

Tinner12002
12-20-2017, 05:51 AM
I think an RDS 45 or 48 gal tank is only 13in wide and is still short enough to stay under a bed cover if you have one. As for your Harley, that shouldn't be an issue either because mine will fit in the bed of my truck with a 4x4 laying against the front of the bed with bike on a condor stand and I'm still able to close the tailgate. Worst case your Harley back wheel might be out on the tailgate some. its all doable I guess to some point depending on the desires.

notanlines
12-20-2017, 06:38 AM
Keep in mind that a Road King is 96 inches long, and a Harley three wheeler on a Classic frame is about 104 inches.

hornet28
12-20-2017, 07:07 AM
For all who post about needing to get out and stretch or drain the bladder. The extra tank is about choosing when and where to fuel up. You can stop anywhere for the other, if you're on an interstate their called "rest areas". Many the time I've been able to run through the areas that have high fuel prices. If you do many miles a year towing that adds up. The last four summers I've pulled 30K+ and saved as much as $.50 per gal at times. That adds up pretty quick. Before I head out I check my route on gas buddy and log where I'll stop to take advantage of lower prices. An example is the area I live in. A town 25 mi away fuel is $.24-29 per gal less at this time. I don't run there just to fuel up but if I'm near there I'll stop there for fuel. At this time I could take on just over 70 gal. At $.24 that's $17 and $.29 is $20. Over the 14 yrs I've run my extra tank that has saved me a lot of money

kampfitt
12-20-2017, 07:10 AM
I have the RDS 45 gal across the front of the bed it's only 9" thick and stays below my bed cover, and its DOT approved. I did install a little 12v pump to make it fill faster when it's time. I also bought mine from Northern Tool but waited till they had a sale with free shipping. My 08 short box D-Max only has the 26 gal stock tank so the extra 45 gal give us lots more opitons of when to fill instead of having to fill!! the tank payed for itself on our Alaska trip with being able to fill up in larger towns at better prices!!

Harleydodge
12-20-2017, 08:41 AM
Something I am still not clear on is: Is there the option of leaving a gravity fed valve open all the time or do they need to be opened/closed as fuel is needed, and if so, what are the fail-safes, if any, should the valves be left open by mistake?

xrated
12-20-2017, 10:27 AM
For all who post about needing to get out and stretch or drain the bladder. The extra tank is about choosing when and where to fuel up. You can stop anywhere for the other, if you're on an interstate their called "rest areas". Many the time I've been able to run through the areas that have high fuel prices. If you do many miles a year towing that adds up. The last four summers I've pulled 30K+ and saved as much as $.50 per gal at times. That adds up pretty quick. Before I head out I check my route on gas buddy and log where I'll stop to take advantage of lower prices. An example is the area I live in. A town 25 mi away fuel is $.24-29 per gal less at this time. I don't run there just to fuel up but if I'm near there I'll stop there for fuel. At this time I could take on just over 70 gal. At $.24 that's $17 and $.29 is $20. Over the 14 yrs I've run my extra tank that has saved me a lot of money

That is/was my main focus...buy fuel in town as opposed to along the interstate where it's anywhere from 45 to 50 cents a gallon more. Plus, in town where I live I don't have to buy BioDiesel......and all the truck stops have at least some percentage of Biodiesel. This plan may fail at times, but so far, it's worked pretty well for us.

Tinner12002
12-20-2017, 12:55 PM
Something I am still not clear on is: Is there the option of leaving a gravity fed valve open all the time or do they need to be opened/closed as fuel is needed, and if so, what are the fail-safes, if any, should the valves be left open by mistake?

Not sure on that as some say they do it one way and others do it another way. That's why I'm going to run a normally closed 12v valve on mine, switchable from the drivers seat so that if I forget to shut it off at the end of the day, once motor is shut down voltage goes away from the valve and it closes. For myself, I don't think I would ever totally fill the reg tank from the aux tank but only to about 3/4 full or so just for my minds sake. I know some do leave the valve open but I don't think I want to do it that way. Just doesn't sound safe to me.

rickhz
12-20-2017, 01:23 PM
I recently added a Titan tank to my 3500 CTD rig. Here is a link to the installation:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2003-dodge-ram-3500-cummins-titan-fuel-tank-installation.463141/

PopBeavers
12-20-2017, 02:17 PM
My tank is from Transfer Flow. It was there when I bought the truck used.

The top 6 inches or so is storage for tow strap, shove, axe, etc. The bottom is 35 gallons of diesel. The main tank is only 26 gallons.

When the main gauge reads 1/4 the aux. tank pumps fuel from the aux. tank to the main tank until the main gauge reads 3/4.

Fully automagic.

hornet28
12-20-2017, 08:36 PM
PopBeavers If you have an owners manual for it you're set otherwise call the company and speak with a tech. The system can be set to turn on and off differently then what yours is set for

Javi
12-21-2017, 03:07 AM

Just a note... If I had to use $20 a tank difference in fuel prices to justify putting a larger fuel tank in my truck... I'd most likely just stay home..

I have a 37 gallon in my truck now and plan on putting the Titian 65 gallon replacement tank in it as soon as the DW makes up her mind on whether we're buying a class A or not...

To me a larger tank is about one thing.... convenience, it means I can travel further without having to find fuel and stop when I want between point A and point B

hornet28
12-21-2017, 04:22 AM
Just a note... If I had to use $20 a tank difference in fuel prices to justify putting a larger fuel tank in my truck... I'd most likely just stay home..

I have a 37 gallon in my truck now and plan on putting the Titian 65 gallon replacement tank in it as soon as the DW makes up her mind on whether we're buying a class A or not...

To me a larger tank is about one thing.... convenience, it means I can travel further without having to find fuel and stop when I want between point A and point B

Convenience is the biggest part, but cost savings figure in also. When I initially purchased my tank I wasn't thinking about fuel savings but soon learned it was there if you took advantage of it. I have no idea how many miles you put on a truck per year hauling but I know that over the time I've had my tank I've saved enough in fuel costs to pay for it. As far as your remark about justifying the tank cost good for you that fuel costs are not a concern of yours. But I imagine there are people reading this that would feel it figured in. I'm also reasonably sure there are a number of people here who don't have the funds to be purchasing and traveling in a class A

Tinner12002
12-21-2017, 04:45 AM

At a $20 savings per fill up, that would be a pretty darn good savings over a years time while traveling!! Convenience or money savings either one works for me!! I also believe, that what the poster was referring too was not just only a one time fill up, but a big savings over a yrs time. If I could save 15-20 bucks everytime I filled up...heck yes! I'm thinking I'd be all for that kind of savings at the pump...well, unless I had some other peoples money...Lol! I also know that you probably won't save that everytime, but I bet someone traveling a lot could put a pretty good dent in the price of an aux tank in a yrs time.

Javi
12-21-2017, 04:47 AM
Convenience is the biggest part, but cost savings figure in also. When I initially purchased my tank I wasn't thinking about fuel savings but soon learned it was there if you took advantage of it. I have no idea how many miles you put on a truck per year hauling but I know that over the time I've had my tank I've saved enough in fuel costs to pay for it. As far as your remark about justifying the tank cost good for you that fuel costs are not a concern of yours. But I imagine there are people reading this that would feel it figured in. I'm also reasonably sure there are a number of people here who don't have the funds to be purchasing and traveling in a class A

I tow between 5 and 7 thousand miles a year... I still work 45 to 55 hours a week so I'm not on the road every day... wouldn't be even if I could.. I camp to relax, not to tow a trailer thousands of miles.. When not towing a 37 gallon tank of fuel might last me nearly a month.. seven miles each way to work daily.. :D

We rarely leave Texas for many reasons... I don't like the laws in many states, I've already seen them all anyway (except Hawaii) before they were trashed and I got no desire to fly in todays restrictive world..

In Texas it is often 400 miles to someplace else.. and not having to stop and find fuel after 300 miles is a convenience that justifies a $1000 expenditure for a larger tank.. Just don't want to lose any bed space, cause we like to haul firewood and other things in front of the hitch..

Will I drive 30 miles out of my way to save $20 on a tank of fuel... no... not in this lifetime.. Will I fill up at a lower price if it's available... of course...

But I won't give up my bed space for $20 once in a while..

As for the class A... The cost of a nice 5th wheel and a dually to pull it will go a long way towards paying for a nice class A... :whistling:

hornet28
12-21-2017, 05:37 AM
Will I drive 30 miles out of my way to save $20 on a tank of fuel... no... not in this lifetime.. Will I fill up at a lower price if it's available... of course..

Read my comment again and you'll see I said "A town 25 mi away fuel is $.24-29 per gal less at this time. I don't run there just to fuel up but if I'm near there I'll stop there for fuel." No it doesn't make sense to drive way out of the way. That's why I said I check gas buddy for fuel prices as sometimes just driving to the other side of a town will be a big savings in price. Also I stated I've had my tank in two different trucks and I do the install so no added cost that way

cardinal96ss
12-21-2017, 08:44 AM
I guess carrying two 5 gallon containers of diesel just just to make sure I don't run out somewhere is old fashion.

JRTJH
12-21-2017, 09:27 AM
I guess carrying two 5 gallon containers of diesel just just to make sure I don't run out somewhere is old fashion.

I've got an F250 with a limited payload. Even with a Cougar XLite fifth wheel, I'm at the max payload with nothing extra to install a 55 gallon Titan tank or a 40 gallon "in bed" tank. So, like you, when I'm heading out on a route I'm not familiar with, I throw a couple of 5 gallon yellow fuel cans in the bed beside the yellow Champion generator and the 5 gallon red fuel can for it. Towing on routes that I am familiar with, I seldom take extra fuel and replace that weight with either firewood or other camping stuff.

I wouldn't call it "old fashioned", prefer to call it "tried and true reliability" LOL

notanlines
12-21-2017, 02:57 PM
Cardinal, remember what I wrote earlier: "whatever works best for you." Brenda and I always carry a five quart can of fuel in the rear of the sidecar "just in case." Not old fashioned at all. I believe the word is SMART. With those ten gallons you and John carry you have bought another hundred miles to find fuel. Smart is the word.

Harleydodge
01-17-2018, 03:01 PM
I still haven't completely made my mind up on which option I will choose for extra fuel. but I WILL choose before we officially retire and "hit the road"

The one comment I have come across that has me scratching my head is the DTE calculation gets messed up and there is no way (on my truck at least) to reprogram the computer for the larger capacity.
Does anyone here who runs extra capacity tanks have issues with the DTE calculation?
It's not a deal breaker for me if it becomes unusable , but I do look at it from time to time.

hornet28
01-17-2018, 04:48 PM
I don't pay any attention to the DTE. I use Gas Buddy pricing to figure my fuel stops as with 84 gal capacity I have a long range. For instance last fall I did a quick trip to Fl. and back. First fuel stop was 700 mi in Chattanooga, 2nd was central Fl, 3rd was back in Chattanooga and then home. Pulling my trailer range is closing on 1000 mi.

CaptnJohn
01-17-2018, 05:17 PM
I still haven't completely made my mind up on which option I will choose for extra fuel. but I WILL choose before we officially retire and "hit the road"

The one comment I have come across that has me scratching my head is the DTE calculation gets messed up and there is no way (on my truck at least) to reprogram the computer for the larger capacity.
Does anyone here who runs extra capacity tanks have issues with the DTE calculation?
It's not a deal breaker for me if it becomes unusable , but I do look at it from time to time.

I have a 20 gallon AUX tank. I watch the number of gallons used on the dash. Mostly, when that is gone and the fuel gage starts to drop it is time for a stop and stretch and that is when we start looking for fuel ~~225 - 250 miles. At that point the DTE is very close.

PopBeavers
01-17-2018, 06:27 PM
I have 2 trip odometers. They both will display gallons used. Every time I fill up both tanks I reset trip 2. When it says I have used 55 gallons then I know I have about 6 gallons left.

hornet28
01-17-2018, 08:28 PM
Something I forgot to add was I have a TransFer Flow set-up so I always have a readout as to how many gal I have on board.

Harleydodge
01-18-2018, 05:27 AM
Ok thanks guys. All good points and tips.
Captnjohn, that is exactly what I would expect to happen, so that eases my mind some.

Harleydodge
08-14-2018, 05:06 AM
To update, I decided to go with a 68 gallon (267 l) in-bed tank, along with the following system by ATTA : https://www.attatank.com/freedom-fill-auxiliary-system-info/

It wasn't cheap ( I had a local dealer do the install as well) and will likely never pay for itself in cost savings, but as far as piece of mind, it's priceless to me.
Even the DW, (who was strongly against the idea because of cost) is now a firm believer :)

I have been on 2 longer trips with it, and so far I am very happy with how it works and the whole "fuel stress factor" has been a non issue on both trips.

I can now easily get 600 miles on a load of fuel, which is about 200 more than I am comfortable with in a day, and that is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and helped me "think" it through.
Appreciate ya!