PDA

View Full Version : toilet flush valve

66joej
12-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for the abrupt closing on our Dometic porcelain toilet foot valve. Water pressure is at a steady 40#. Don't want to dismantle the whole toilet if it can be fixed with some sort of accumulator/buffer on the incoming line. Presently the water lines at the back of the toilet seem to jump when the valve is closed. Does not matter if it's done slowly or quickly. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

chuckster57
12-17-2017, 02:15 PM
If it shuts the water off, I say leave it alone. Most likely the pex line isn’t clamped down and it jumps with the pressure change.

66joej
12-17-2017, 06:05 PM
If it shuts the water off, I say leave it alone. Most likely the pex line isn’t clamped down and it jumps with the pressure change.

Thanks chuckster57. It does work well, holds water, etc.
Will look at securing the pex, if not it's not that much of an annoyance.

notanlines
12-18-2017, 03:17 AM
Joe, it would also be my opinion that it isn't broken, so don't fix it. I would actually find the snap of it closing comforting. It means it is working just fine.

ken56
12-18-2017, 03:30 AM
Mine operates in the same way. It has a definite thump when we let off the pedal and I have observed the pex behind and have never seen it move or jump when we do that. If its moving in the wall then it is what it is.

jsmith948
12-18-2017, 06:02 AM
Go to Lowe's or HD and get a water hammer resistor. They have one that is mounted on a "T" fitting with SharkBite fittings. It forms an air cushion that reduces or eliminates the water hammer.

66joej
12-18-2017, 07:10 AM
Go to Lowe's or HD and get a water hammer resistor. They have one that is mounted on a "T" fitting with SharkBite fittings. It forms an air cushion that reduces or eliminates the water hammer.

Thanks will try that. As I mentioned earlier would be nice to quiet the thump down. DW says I wake her up on my nightly bathroom visits. And as they say "happy wife happy life". Will report back here if it works.

slow
12-18-2017, 07:53 AM

When I tried this potential solution a few years back, it did not provide the desired benefit. I installed it just prior to the toilet inlet. Maybe I bought a bad resistor.

Any suggestions on where to install and take advantage of a water hammer resistor would be appreciated.

JRTJH
12-18-2017, 08:35 AM
When I tried this potential solution a few years back, it did not provide the desired benefit. I installed it just prior to the toilet inlet. Maybe I bought a bad resistor.

Any suggestions on where to install and take advantage of a water hammer resistor would be appreciated.

I did the same as you, installed an air hammer arrester in our Springdale. I located it behind the toilet, in the supply line. It didn't make any difference at all. In fact, all I really did was add an extra fitting that could leak and a place to hold water during winterizing the trailer. For me, it wasn't worth the effort and expense for the results achieved.

One workaround that might help is to turn off the water pump (or city water connection) before going to bed. That way there's no water pressure to cause the "bump" and the toilet will still "open to let liquids flow into the black tank"... Probably not a good idea if there's a regular deposit of solids, but for overnight use, it worked for us. With the Cougar, the "bump" is in the back of the trailer, not up front by the bedroom/bath, so we live with it. Over the years, it's sort of "blended with other noises" and we don't notice it as much as we initially did.