PDA

View Full Version : Towing Question

jmlocklin
12-07-2017, 11:00 AM
I am new to towing and I am pulling my new trailer, 29BH, with a 2016 F-150 V-8. The truck seems to pull just fine. No problem with weight that I am aware of. I suppose it is normal to feel drafts caused by other vehicles on the interstate. My question, is my trailer really swaying or do I just feel the sway bar doing what it is suppose to do? Would a F-250 solve the problem or would I still feel it? I do not drive over 65 when pulling the trailer and am passed by everything on the road. Is this a real problem or just something I have to get use to?

mfifield01
12-07-2017, 11:04 AM
What type of WDH setup do you have? Having the right WDH and getting it setup on a CAT scale will help a lot.

With a half ton truck you will feel wind, drafts, and semis. What were the wind speeds? If the wind speed is 30+ it will start to wear on you.

Canonman
12-07-2017, 11:12 AM
A 30ft plus travel trailer provides a lot of "sail area" behind your truck. That is what's catching the bow wave from passing vehicles especially oncoming semi-trucks.
You don't mention if you have or purchased a weight distribution (WDH) hitch with anti sway. But if you didn't, GET ONE. Makes all the difference in the world when towing.
I'd recommend having it professionally installed and include some hands on training on how to set it up for your specific trailer and load.
If you have it now, check that you have it properly set up. There is nothing more nerve wracking than that "tail wagging the dog feeling" you're experiencing.

sourdough
12-07-2017, 01:49 PM
You really need to know the specs on your truck and trailer. Looks like the trailer gvw is 8800 lbs. and dry tongue is 810. Look inside the driver door and see what the placards say the gawr, payload, gcwrs are. They will tell you where you can go with weight. If you can, take the combo to a scale and it will tell you where you're at. You will be close, especially with payload I imagine.

A 1/2 ton is going to get pushed around with that big of a trailer. It will also sway in the right circumstances. Some say the Hensley type hitches will eliminate the sway but they are high dollar. Before I spent that kind of money on a hitch to stop sway in a 1/2 ton I'd buy a 3/4 ton. Make sure the hitch you have includes a good sway control.

As was said, you have a large sail behind that 1/2 ton truck that will tax the lighter suspension. Upgrading to LT tires will help if you haven't done so already.

notanlines
12-07-2017, 01:59 PM
I concur with what was said above. I especially agree that upgrading to a good set of LT tires will give some improvement. And I hope you just settle in with getting passed by everything on the road. About 62 with your rig should about cover your needs. YMMV

Frank G
12-07-2017, 03:11 PM
This towing question comes up almost daily and it should. If this is your first towing experience or trying to solve an issue that just surfaced the forums can help out.

In my experience the longer and heavier the tow vehicle the better it will behave towing a trailer. The trick is to find the proper affordable balance between the two.

When it comes to the Weight Distribution Hitch with sway control do your homework and do it well. It can make or brake your towing experience. A high quality hitch out of adjustment can be worse than a junk worn out hitch.

Remember you will need some tools to keep you towing safely, a torque wrench to check the wheel nuts and the hitch bolts including the hitch ball. Trusting others is...we have all found subpar work on our stuff, just ask. One day I found a loose hitch ball that was installed by a dealer.

Lastly, know your weight numbers and how to apply them.

Good Luck and Happy Camping

jmlocklin
12-08-2017, 01:46 PM
I have a Curt TruTrack Trunion weight distribution system. I love my trailer and I love my truck, but I'm not sure I like the combination. From what I see from users who post on this site, I may need to upgrade my truck. Do most of you agree? I know I ask the dumbest questions, but I have another. Is there an app that gives trailer friendly gas stations? From what I see, most gas stations where I normally refuel have no way to pull in with my trailer. What to you do to fill up the gas tank?

Frank G
12-08-2017, 02:08 PM
I have a Curt TruTrack Trunion weight distribution system. I love my trailer and I love my truck, but I'm not sure I like the combination. From what I see from users who post on this site, I may need to upgrade my truck. Do most of you agree? I know I ask the dumbest questions, but I have another. Is there an app that gives trailer friendly gas stations? From what I see, most gas stations where I normally refuel have no way to pull in with my trailer. What to you do to fill up the gas tank?

On the fueling issue, Gas is harder than Diesel. We always use truck stop truck lanes for diesel. Some Pilot Flying J stations have RV lanes where they have both fuel's available.

When we were pulling with a gasser we would look for highway stations and use the outside lane. For every one we stopped at we passed up two. If you have a good copilot you can switch views on google maps and get a satellite view of upcoming stations.

There is an app called Allstays that we use, also there is a printed publication at Camping World that gives detailed information on every interstate intersection. As an example if you are traveling west on I-10 it goes from intersection to intersection.

Time for dinner. :)

Frank G
12-08-2017, 02:19 PM
If you give the details on your truck you will get detailed meaningful responses.

sourdough
12-08-2017, 02:26 PM
You are where many of us have been including myself. Had a truck I loved. Loved the trailer so we bought it knowing we were on the edge. Thought it would be OK but long trips just wore you out and I got tired of staring at the rear view mirror trying to watch for vehicles about to pass me and either suck me into their sides or push me off the road. Bought a HD truck - problem solved.

There is no such thing as a dumb question when you are trying to learn so fire away. The forum has many knowledgeable folks that are more than willing to help out on whatever you come up against.

I have no experience with the Curt hitch but maybe someone has. I looked at Etrailer and it looked like it is a mid level hitch. Pulling a 30'+ trailer and 8800 lbs. with a 1/2 ton will require a good sway control.

I believe there are several on the forum that use various RV apps for trip planning and fuel stops. I do not use one. Towing with a gas truck and a long trailer requires a little thought before you just pull into a "station". Look for clearance with the canopy. You have to be able to get in and out without backing so that means you have to use the end pump at many locations. Look at how you exit and make sure you can get to it - remember you have to swing wide and you will probably be in tight quarters. Be sure and watch for sharp drops in the entrance or exit. I could see the exit at a station this spring but not the grade. When I went to leave it had a sharp incline up. I had to use it because there was no other option. The rear of the trailer hung and I had to drag it for a couple of feet before it picked up. Pulled my spare tire almost horizontal to the ground requiring a little "repair" work at the next stop.:banghead: It's a little nerve wracking at first but once you get used to what to look for it's not a big deal. Don't be afraid to just pass on anything that looks questionable - just be sure you have a way to negotiate a turn around.

There are some that will jump on anyone anytime they advocate that someone needs a bigger truck. Oh well.;) At 8800 lbs. you would be at the limit of a 1/2 ton truck IMO. Not because it can't "pull" it but because the load, and the dynamics it brings, is too great. I, and many others, have went through that. So, IMO I would be looking at the HD trucks if that is an option. If you don't, by the time you spend $1000 for LT tires, $600 to upgrade the hitch, $100-300 for airbags, $200-300 for brake controller (installed) etc. so your 1/2 ton can tow decently, you could buy the HD truck with the required equipment (and probably a Class V hitch) and not have to worry. Again, I was presented with the same problem. Trucks are plentiful, the trailer we also loved was not so it was a no brainer....new truck. Good luck as you pick your path.

jmlocklin
12-08-2017, 02:30 PM
My truck is a F-150 Lariat 4 wheel drive, off road, V-8. with a tow package. Ford dealer showed it rated at 11,600 lb towing capacity, but not sure about that.

sourdough
12-08-2017, 02:38 PM
Look at the stickers inside the driver's door to get the numbers for the truck. Remember, there's a big difference between "pulling" and "carrying" weight.

mfifield01
12-08-2017, 06:41 PM
From my experience, diesel was harder to find than gas. Diesel is great while towing, but costs more(maintenance) and is harder to find.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

chuckster57
12-08-2017, 07:17 PM
From my experience, diesel was harder to find than gas. Diesel is great while towing, but costs more(maintenance) and is harder to find.

On our cross country trip in ‘09, I had No problem finding diesel fuel, except for one day in Pennsylvania when I was in Amish country.

PopBeavers
12-08-2017, 07:43 PM
Try pulling into a station with a 35 foot FW!.

What appears to be a tool box in the bed of my F350 is actually a 35 gallon fuel tank plus a little bit of room for tools.

The main tank is 20 gallons (silly to be that small) so I have 55 gallons of diesel. That will take me 700+ miles not towing and 500+ miles towing. I don't like to drive more than 350 miles per day, so I just buy fuel once a day when I am not hooked-up.

Transfer flow makes aux. tanks and also larger replacement tanks. There are probably other suppliers out there.

notanlines
12-09-2017, 03:28 AM
Pop, your F350 is probably a 26 gallon tank; pretty standard for a short bed these days.

hexmex357
12-09-2017, 03:50 AM
If you follow my post I had the same dilema. I ended up buying a F-250 Diesel and have no regrets. No sway with wind or trucks. Also my F-150 v8 could not handle going up any kind hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Javi
12-09-2017, 04:36 AM

Yep... sure is... Diesel is only sold on every other corner... not every corner like gasoline.. :D

nied
12-09-2017, 05:58 AM
For major road fuel information, use http://www.findfuelstops.com/. The data base includes an aerial of each station to plan for gasoline or diesel entry.

mfifield01
12-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Yep... sure is... Diesel is only sold on every other corner... not every corner like gasoline.. :DDepends on location. We took a friend's rig to Colorado in 2014 (Diesel Ram). To my surprise we couldn't find diesel in towns in West Texas. We got pretty low before we found one. In planning the trip, that wasn't something I considered to be a concern.

PopBeavers
12-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Pop, your F350 is probably a 26 gallon tank; pretty standard for a short bed these days.
Nope. IF I have waited long enough to fill it up that I scared myself I only get 20 gallons in it.

But, the fuel gauge could be off by 6 gallons. I should read the spec.

rhagfo
12-09-2017, 03:08 PM
Try pulling into a station with a 35 foot FW!.

What appears to be a tool box in the bed of my F350 is actually a 35 gallon fuel tank plus a little bit of room for tools.

The main tank is 20 gallons (silly to be that small) so I have 55 gallons of diesel. That will take me 700+ miles not towing and 500+ miles towing. I don't like to drive more than 350 miles per day, so I just buy fuel once a day when I am not hooked-up.

Transfer flow makes aux. tanks and also larger replacement tanks. There are probably other suppliers out there.

Tandem tankers pull into those stations all the time, you just need to look ahead and plan ahead. I think you are over thinking the size of your rig.

PopBeavers
12-09-2017, 04:45 PM
Tandem tankers pull into those stations all the time, you just need to look ahead and plan ahead. I think you are over thinking the size of your rig.

The day after I bought it I damaged the roof to the tune of $9200.

I damaged a leveling jack, $900.

I ripped the awning off, $1500.

I have been towing a TT and then driving a MH since 2005. 35 feet long and 12 feet high is a lot bigger than I realized.

Maybe I should have gotten a 28 foot TT.

Javi
12-09-2017, 05:39 PM
Depends on location. We took a friend's rig to Colorado in 2014 (Diesel Ram). To my surprise we couldn't find diesel in towns in West Texas. We got pretty low before we found one. In planning the trip, that wasn't something I considered to be a concern.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TapatalkGasBuddy is your friend..

But this ain't my first time with a diesel. I've been driving a diesel since 1983...

All them ranchers and farmers got diesel pickups and they buy it at Allsup's [emoji16]

Javi

Javi
12-09-2017, 05:42 PM

I have been towing a TT and then driving a MH since 2005. 35 feet long and 12 feet high is a lot bigger than I realized.

Maybe I should have gotten a 28 foot TT.Yep.. big trailers make you pay attention...

That tank is 27 gallons... my long bed is a 37 gallon.

Javi

rhagfo
12-10-2017, 04:27 PM

Maybe I should have gotten a 28 foot TT.

I hope you didn't do this all in one trip!!:facepalm:

As Javi stated you need to be thinking about what you are towing, we are near 13' 6" tall and the 5er is 32' long, not that much difference.

I assume the leveling jack was hydraulic based on the cost, some do hang low, but the other two, you really need to be aware of height and width.

CaptnJohn
12-10-2017, 06:41 PM
I hope you didn't do this all in one trip!!:facepalm:

As Javi stated you need to be thinking about what you are towing, we are near 13' 6" tall and the 5er is 32' long, not that much difference.

I assume the leveling jack was hydraulic based on the cost, some do hang low, but the other two, you really need to be aware of height and width.

Other than a little more tail swing I find no difference pulling my neighbors 32' 5er, my last 35' 5er or my current 43' 5er. Height and width are the same. Actually, because of floor plans the loaded PW of the 35 and 43 are only a few hundred apart.

PopBeavers
12-11-2017, 10:03 AM
I do well with height and width most of the time. But for some turns I have just recently learned that the FW will not only track inside the truck, it tracks 10 feet inside the truck, when executing a 190 degree u turn. You should see the divot the inside wheels in the FW make in the dirt. Glad I don't need to make that turn on hard pavement. That would be some serious scuffing.

The roof was a tree limb at home, making an S turn, while dragging the rear bumper, around a big rock and an oak tree. The last time I got out and looked I was more than 3 feet from the limb. Now I know I need 5 feet. That just seems like a lot. I need to lift the axle. Can't do a flip.

The awning was around the corner of the garage. Made that turn many times. This time I need an additional 6 inches of clearance.

The hydraulic jack sits very low and close behind the tires. I had gone up onto a curb in a mall parking lot without knowing it. When the tires came down the jack hit the top of the tall curb.

I try real hard to avoid driveways.

The roof was an insurance claim. I ate the rest.

PopBeavers
12-11-2017, 11:23 AM
The owner's manual says 26 gallons. When the gauge reads empty I can only add 20 gallons.

Apparently empty means I still have 6 gallons of fuel. I do not think I have ever had a car or truck with that much discrepancy in my life (64 and counting).

I wish that fuel gauges could be calibrated.

mfifield01
12-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Mine is very similar. I have a 32 gallon tank. If I fill up when the low fuel light comes on, I can only put about 26 gallons in it. The most I have put in was about 28 and the DTE read --.

C424
12-13-2017, 07:03 PM
Had the same dilemma this summer. Had a 4 month old half ton and got a 30ft TT. It pulled it but I was not comfortable with it. Traded the 1/2 ton for a 3/4 ton gas and it feels much better. Took me a little bit to get the wdh dialed in and I still feel the wind of passing trucks but it feels like I have much more control. Would love to have a diesel but I don’t tow or drive the truck that often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk