PDA

View Full Version : Snow and Ice on Slide top?

sandy43
12-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Going to the panhandle of Texas late Dec.. I do this every year and I have always had problems with snow and ice on the slide tops. Is their a product that I can spray on the top of slides to keep the snow from sticking?

Freeheel4life
12-03-2017, 11:13 AM
Not sure if there are any specific products but we camp a lot in heavy snow and cold temps. We just have one large slide on left side of TT. I set up leaned just a bit left and a little tongue high. This way everything that melts runs down rear corner of slide and doesnt build large bits of ice on the roof. Have a soft bristled shop broom that I use to sweep off as much snow as I can.
When it's time to pack up it's a bit of a pain, but what I do is crank up heater and bring slide in with short increments. When ice that is stuck to roof melts I mop it up with some crummy towels then pull it in a bit more and repeat. Doesn't seem to be causing any damage to seal along the roof from the ice when I pull it in, but it's just small little pimples of ice because of the slope.

Pull Toy
12-03-2017, 12:39 PM
My first idea was “Rainex windshield treatment” or a good carnuba wax job. I’ m pretty sure Cabellas or Bass pro might have a suggested product.

The alternative is to invest in tarps or slide toppers.

Good Luck,

sandy43
12-03-2017, 12:52 PM
I found this stuff on Amazon. They say it works but I'm concerned how it would effect the material on top of slide. Any users?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031T82NO/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

rhagfo
12-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Just a good set of slide toppers

sandy43
12-03-2017, 01:39 PM
I've had slide toppers in the past. More trouble than it's worth. Never again. Thanks for the input.

bobbecky
12-03-2017, 02:50 PM
We had over a foot of snow on our rig last January, and it had started melting, not causing any problems. Needed to get the rig ready to roll in early February, so leaned my ladder up against the slides and carefully used a plastic snow shovel to remove the bulk of the snow, on the roof as well as on the slides. A couple days later, the roof and top of the slides were pretty dry and we were able to pack up and leave. Do not even think about standing on the roof with any ice or snow on it, just to dangerous.

gearhead
12-07-2017, 05:45 AM
I'd be careful what kind of chemical I sprayed on the EPDM or TPO roof.
Telescoping aluminum ladder and a broom maybe.
I carry an electric leaf blower, but only used it on leaves. Not much experience with snow.

ADQ K9
12-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Blowers work good for the snow if it is light and flufy not heavy and wet.