PDA

View Full Version : New Cougar 25RES furnace won't turn on

BobAndLinda
12-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Just picked up our new Cougar yesterday. We tried to turn on the heat this morning tt doesn't work. No furnace clicking, no fan, nothing. Circuit breakers and fuses are OK. There is LP in the tank (stove works), the thermostat is set to 70. Any ideas? Does the camper have to be plugged into an electric outlet? We hope not. We often dry camp and this camper has the dry camping option. Thanks! Linda

sourdough
12-03-2017, 12:28 PM
Do your other 12v items work? Lights? Is the bypass switch off/on?

chuckster57
12-03-2017, 12:32 PM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

You don’t have to be plugged in for the furnace to work, but you need a well charged battery. What thermostat is in the unit?

BobAndLinda
12-03-2017, 01:05 PM
Thank you Sourdough and chuckster57! Sourdough, yes, our other 12 volt items work, such as the lights, slides, and jacks.

Chuckster57, the battery is brand new and is completely charged. We put our charger on it just to make sure.

Help, help, help!

Hodgy
12-03-2017, 01:07 PM

Is the on/off switch on the thermostat flipped over to on ?

Javi
12-03-2017, 01:09 PM
Make sure the thermostat is set to auto and on heat.

One of us seems to bump the thermostat at least once every trip while climbing the stairs and either turn it off or on

Javi

BobAndLinda
12-03-2017, 01:38 PM
Yes, it is set to auto, furnace, heat.

Javi
12-03-2017, 02:01 PM
Yes, it is set to auto, furnace, heat.Have you tried turning it up to 80-85

Javi

BobAndLinda
12-03-2017, 02:35 PM
Javi, yes. It is about 30 degrees here, so 70 should work, but we did try 80. Linda

sourdough
12-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Am I understanding that you picked it up yesterday? If so, did the furnace work at the dealer?

Have you checked the fuse/fuse holder with an ohm meter to make sure there's not a problem there. I can't remember if there is a fuse on the circuit board on the furnace - someone will know. I had to replace the board on mine but this wasn't the symptom. It does seem there was/is a red LED on the board that should indicate you have battery to the board.

When mine failed I could disconnect the power from the board, reconnect it and the furnace would work for a while. You might try that in a pinch.

chuckster57
12-03-2017, 02:41 PM
If the thermostat is a Coleman Mach, there should be a small glass fuse under the front cover 2A if I remember right.

With everything you’ve tried, I would start looking at possible loss of power to the tstat

BobAndLinda
12-03-2017, 05:19 PM
Sourdough, yes we picked it up yesterday. The furnace was not activated during the walk-through (mental head slap). Husband checked with an ohm meter and says it was good.

Chuckster57, the thermostat is not a Coleman Mach. It is a Dometic. We went through the operating instructions and it appears to be working properly.

Thank you everyone for trying to help. I'm afraid we will have to call the dealer tomorrow.

Linda

chuckster57
12-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Dometic 3 button, LCDdisplay. When you press the “MODE” button, does the display change and the lit “arrow” move?

BigTexRex
12-03-2017, 08:39 PM
There's a chance that the "on-off" switch, on the furnace, is set to "off". You'll have to pull the cover off to see the switch. Double check that all wires are connected between the furnace and the trailer and check the circuit breaker.

BobAndLinda
12-05-2017, 02:06 PM
Thank you for all your help! We just picked the camper up from a local dealer who fixed it for us. When the furnace was installed at the factory, wires got caught in the exhaust pipe. They were melted!

Thanks for trying to help us, but it wasn't an easy fix!

Linda

Freeheel4life
12-05-2017, 02:16 PM
Glad you were at least able to get it sorted. Always rough to get hosed on a brand new item. Hopefully that was the one and only gremlin.

chuckster57
12-05-2017, 03:26 PM
Glad it got fixed.

nied
12-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Had a similar problem with our 248RKS. It was a broken wire running from the thermostat to the furnace. Repaired under Keystone warranty.

sourdough
12-05-2017, 08:09 PM
Thank you for all your help! We just picked the camper up from a local dealer who fixed it for us. When the furnace was installed at the factory, wires got caught in the exhaust pipe. They were melted!

Thanks for trying to help us, but it wasn't an easy fix!

Linda

I'm glad you got it going. If you missed checking the operation of the furnace on the PDI I would suggest, strongly, that you take the PDI list from this forum and go thru your trailer. There are so many things that can go wrong, little ones, that can ruin a trip, you NEED to check those out. A non functioning furnace is sort of a basic thing to check. Not trying to cast stones, more worried about what else you didn't check.

Bushman512000
12-05-2017, 10:41 PM
remember the Battery will last about a full night if the fan is running a lot I had the same thing happen so I now use 2 big 12 volts and try to recharge with the Honda 1000 in the day time to be ready for the cold nights heater fans run a battery down fast and batterys are slow to recover I have a battery charger and charge back up at 10 amps have for years and never a cold night again...John