PDA

View Full Version : Bad start

pakuma
11-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Just got back from a 5 week trip. It started very badly when the trailer came unhitched and destroyed the tail gate. I deterined that it would never happen again and created a safety chain setup.

Terry W.
11-28-2017, 10:24 AM
Just got back from a 5 week trip. It started very badly when the trailer came unhitched and destroyed the tail gate. I deterined that it would never happen again and created a safety chain setup.Been there done that didn't even get a t-shirt. Not fun. I have often wonder why there is no safety chains.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dave W
11-28-2017, 01:29 PM
That's the reason I have a 5th wheel tailgate - did mine unhitching - and a Blue Ox Bed Saver which I now seldom use since I've found the B&W hitch is (almost) idiot proof. Almost since it was used once and saved the truck's bed.

JimQ
11-28-2017, 01:39 PM
Sorry your dealing with that situation. Did you determine the cause of separation? Was it a mechanical failure or human error? Hope there wasn't to much damage. I think you were fortunate, it could have been much worse.

Tbos
11-28-2017, 03:15 PM
I want to upgrade to a 5er next year. I need to learn from you all how not to do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Javi
11-28-2017, 03:44 PM
I want to upgrade to a 5er next year. I need to learn from you all how not to do this.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkDo a pull test before raising the front jacks.... every time..

Javi

labman
11-28-2017, 04:06 PM
Do a pull test before raising the front jacks.... every time..

Javi

I like that idea Tex!

notanlines
11-28-2017, 04:15 PM
What Javi^^^^said. On our very first 5ver the mechanic who installed the hitch walked me through the thing and the first and last item he covered was exactly "pull test every time."

MattHelm21
11-28-2017, 04:24 PM

Javi

The only thing I do differently is I raise the jacks about 1/2 to 1 inch then do the pull test. I don’t remember who suggested it but I know when I would tug my previous trailer, the trailer brakes didn’t always engage right away so it would move forward just a bit. If the jacks are all the way down this puts lateral stress on them which always seemed like a bad idea to me. If the trailer and hitch part, which shouldn’t happen if I’ve done my job right, then it only drops an inch but doesn’t hit the bed rails or tailgate.

Gegrad
11-28-2017, 05:45 PM
Growing up after my parenst bought their first 5er they had a hitch much heavier than what was needed for the small 5er they bought, and it had a large mechanical locking bar that slid behind the pin that you could see from behind. So after hearing the "click" we would crouch over a bit and look back up to the hitch to verify the bar had slid across. Never had an issue. I am not sure how the modern hitches have changed, as this was in 1998 or so.

gearhead
11-28-2017, 05:53 PM
I had a failure to hitch and just caught it when doing a tug test. Front feet just off the ground and with tailgate down. Near heart failure when I saw the pinbox sliding back down off the hitch. I caught it and got it back under control. It was a very unlevel site and bad weather. I was in a hurry.

Sniper
11-28-2017, 06:01 PM
I have always done a tug test. It was the first thing beat into me when I first drove semis. Saves a lot of damage.

Canonman
11-28-2017, 06:05 PM
Never had a problem with ours:
https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx
Love that "Ball and Socket" reliability

IRV2
11-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Never had a problem with ours:
https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx
Love that "Ball and Socket" reliability
X's 2 on the Andersen! Drops on ball at nearly any angle. No tug test required; would like to have a 5er tailgate.

Sniper
11-28-2017, 06:34 PM
X's 2 on the Andersen! Drops on ball at nearly any angle. No tug test required; would like to have a 5er tailgate.

Me too. I would like to get the Husky but my better half is balking at the $500+ price. I told her it's cheaper than paying $1500 to replace the stock tailgate. I got "the look" and she told me not to let the trailer become unhooked.:lol:

kfxgreenie
11-28-2017, 07:02 PM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buy an Andersen Hitch.;)

chuckster57
11-28-2017, 07:25 PM

Javi

BINGO!! Haven’t dropped a fiver on a bed yet since 1989.

rhagfo
11-28-2017, 08:46 PM

Javi
X5?? to this with jacks DOWN, if you high hitched and pulled up the jacks up 1.5" off the ground, then your pin is sitting on the jaws with 2,000# to 3,000#+, much easier to pull free if no weight on the pin.

I will add after the pull test, I also do a visual check to be sure the jaws are fully closed.

Right on Javi!!!

Desert185
11-29-2017, 10:19 AM
Dittos on the Andersen hitch. :thumbsup:

Javi
11-29-2017, 10:21 AM
X5?? to this with jacks DOWN, if you high hitched and pulled up the jacks up 1.5" off the ground, then your pin is sitting on the jaws with 2,000# to 3,000#+, much easier to pull free if no weight on the pin.

I will add after the pull test, I also do a visual check to be sure the jaws are fully closed.

Right on Javi!!!

Make sure that the pin box always has to climb the hitch pad and you will never high hitch..

TyeeMan
11-29-2017, 11:01 AM
Don't know the first thing about hooking up a 5er, but isn't there some kind of indicator that tells you when your 100% connected? Is there a "locking bar" like on semi truck 5th wheels that you have to engage once the trailer is on the hitch?

Just curious. . .

pakuma
11-29-2017, 11:40 AM
I did, and drove it around the RV Park before I left and it came out as we were going out the gate. Did a pull test and a visual inspection. I ust have missed something since I then took it on the rest of our 4,000 mile trip without incident.

rhagfo
11-29-2017, 01:12 PM

Javi

Right on Javi!!!

Make sure that the pin box always has to climb the hitch pad and you will never high hitch..

I did, and drove it around the RV Park before I left and it came out as we were going out the gate. Did a pull test and a visual inspection. I ust have missed something since I then took it on the rest of our 4,000 mile trip without incident.

I think this should cover it!

If you raised the jacks before the pull test, then there is considerable weight on the pin, and if for some reason you are "High Hitched" then it takes considerable force to pull out from under it. The visual check is done as a backup to the pull test.I look from the back to make sure the jaws are completely shut and the pin is correctly seated in them, then I lock the hitch!

Sorry for the damage to your TV, hope the sidewalls didn't get pulled in.

Dave W
11-29-2017, 02:23 PM
I know nada about an Anderson.

I do know about a B&W though. It 'clanks' when closing on the king pin and the release handle is tight. If that release handle isn't tight but loose and floppy, the king pin isn't locked. I always do a pull test with chocks in place to reduce bending stresses on the puny Lippert landing gear plus a visual inspection. The only time I 'tested' the now seldom installed Bed Saver is about the third time I used the last 5er and when I neglected to chock the wheels. The 5er rolled back when I released the hitch.