PDA

View Full Version : Importing Fifth Wheel to Canada

MaccSyd
11-27-2017, 03:44 PM
Hi All
Just wondering if someone can help me as I can’t find anything on the Internet regarding importing a fifth wheel into Canada from the USA. Would I have to register under the RIV programme and or what other fees would I be subjected to?

Thanks

Thundershorts
11-27-2017, 03:52 PM
When I brought my other trailer into Canada six years ago, I had to pay the G.S.T. and the RIV fee at the border. They filled out the RIV paperwork, and I took the trailer to Canadian Tire for the inspection.

MaccSyd
11-27-2017, 03:58 PM
thanks Thundershorts. I wasn’t sure if you have to pay the GST on a fifth wheel made in the USA.

slow
11-27-2017, 04:03 PM
My experience importing into Canada was the exact same as Thundershorts', very simple.

Be sure to check which port of entry will be able to process the paper work, not all do.

Also, check into the insurance. Our provincial insurance allowed us to prearrange coverage and it was completed by faxing the sales documents at the dealer once we completed payment. Alternatively, you can get a temporary permit from the dealer. Discuss it with them in advance.

Make sure the "deal" covers anything that could go wrong, since from a warranty perspective you are effectively on your own.

Festus2
11-27-2017, 04:42 PM
MaccSyd-
Go to this website: www.rvt.com for information regarding importation of an RV into Canada. Click on "Resources" link.

Another and perhaps more useful site is www.riv.ca

CWtheMan
11-27-2017, 04:59 PM
This might be helpful.

https://www.fretzrv.com/canadian-rv-imports

JRTJH
11-27-2017, 05:08 PM
I'm not familiar with importing an RV into Canada and I've never done it. So, I can't offer any suggestions on the "mechanics of importation"... I will, however, call your attention to an option on almost every Keystone brand of RV. Down at the bottom of each brand's webpage you'll find options listed. Nearly all of them list "Canadian Compliance" or "CSA Compliance" as an option. All Keystone RV's are built to RVIA standards, but I don't know what extras are included to comply with Canadian standards (if there even are any). It might simplify your importation if that option is included from Keystone.... I've no idea if it's really an option or if it's included on all trailers that are ordered by Canadian dealers or even if it can be ordered by a US dealer. It might be something to check into as it may make the registration and certifications easier if that sticker is on the trailer ??????

slow
11-27-2017, 05:35 PM
I am not sure what a CSA sticker gives you. My TT does not have one and it was not an issue. BTW: the only thing Canadian Tire did as an “inspection” was to transcribe the axle ratings onto a form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaccSyd
11-27-2017, 06:18 PM
Thanks Everyone for info much appreciated