PDA

View Full Version : Worth switching to AGM?

Freeheel4life
11-25-2017, 10:22 PM
Wondering if anyone is running AGM batteries instead of lead acids??
Seems like there could be and argument for longevity, and ability to bounce back from a deep cycle. Wondering at which point upped cost finally pays itself off. I work as a Marine Mechanic and we sell Interstate so can save myself a few bucks purchasing through my shop. Haven't installed a master switch or solar yet but those are at the top of the list.
Hoping someone can chime in that has had then installed for an extended period and how they are holding up.

scottz
11-26-2017, 09:42 AM
I have AGM's on my new Montana (it only came with one battery so I had to buy new ones; have 3) and had them on my previous unit. On the previous unit they were 8 years old and still going strong.

I don't know if I would get crazy and toss good batteries just to get AGM's; wait until they need to be replaced then upgrade to AGM's.

Good thing about AGM's is very little gassing.

Freeheel4life
11-26-2017, 10:40 AM
The dealer we bought from put in two group 24 Centennials and they are garbage IMO. One holds a charge just fine but the other doesn t seem to want to hold a charge even with ground leads disconnected on both batteries.
Previous owner had a nice metal battery box with a hinged lid and a latch to put on a lock. The group 24s have lots of extra space so wondering if I can get two group 27s in there.
Our camper sits in covered storage so hate showing up to find problems ( have showed up and batteries are magically dead and have a power jack). Now I just bring my Honda along with me when I go to get it.
Goal is to get dialed in and not even have to think about simple systems like 12v issues.

chuckster57
11-26-2017, 11:40 AM
If you have a pair of batteries, how they are hooked up will affect them. Often times dealers go cheap and connect the trailer feeds to one battery and then just run small jumpers from the one to the other. Trailer leads should be hooked to each “end” of the bank.

Freeheel4life
11-26-2017, 12:40 PM
Chuck,
Never really looked at it that close. Just verified it wasn't a series connection. Will check next time Im at storage. Hoping to take the trailer to work this week and tick off a bunch of projects in the shop before we start skiing.
By each "end" I am assuming you mean all ground leads would be attached to one battery terminal and all + leads attached to other battery so electron flow would be thru every plate in every cell from one end to the other??

chuckster57
11-26-2017, 12:49 PM
Yeah. Batttery 1 positive to battery 2 positive
Battery 2 negative to battery 2 negative
Trailer positive lead to positive on battery 1
Trailer negative lead to negative on battery 2

Hodgy
11-26-2017, 01:23 PM
Yeah. Batttery 1 positive to battery 2 positive
Battery 2 negative to battery 2 negative
Trailer positive lead to positive on battery 1
Trailer negative lead to negative on battery 2

What is the benefit of doing it that way rather than the trailer leads to one battery only ?

sourdough
11-26-2017, 03:42 PM
Connected the way Chuckster described the current flows from one "end" of the battery plates to the other (in 2nd battery), utilizing all plates in both batteries. When the leads are connected to one battery, the load comes in one side of the connected battery and leaves at the other terminal leaving the plates of the "connected" battery being used for all loads and the other battery, connected by jumper cables, sort of sitting there as an outboard battery and not being used like the "connected" battery. It will result in uneven battery usage and wear.

Hodgy
11-26-2017, 07:41 PM
Connected the way Chuckster described the current flows from one "end" of the battery plates to the other (in 2nd battery), utilizing all plates in both batteries. When the leads are connected to one battery, the load comes in one side of the connected battery and leaves at the other terminal leaving the plates of the "connected" battery being used for all loads and the other battery, connected by jumper cables, sort of sitting there as an outboard battery and not being used like the "connected" battery. It will result in uneven battery usage and wear.

That makes sense.

ctbruce
12-03-2017, 08:09 AM
Here's a little tutorial on how and why:
https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-bank-tutorial.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk