PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle rack

Pete B
11-25-2017, 05:12 PM
Can I bolt a bicycle rack to the back bumper of my hideout 26rls? It bolts on with u- bolts.

66joej
11-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Be a good idea to do a search on this forum before hanging anything on these "bumpers". There is some good advice.

earlzach
11-25-2017, 07:10 PM
The 4x4 bumper in general is not really that thick. The truth is it is strong enough to hold a two bike rack.
Problem over the past is many people place their sewage hose in the bumper, with this comes the residuals dranage and the water comes out in the bumper tube causing it to rust from the inside out. This is usually when the bumper failure is at its worse.

Dave W
11-26-2017, 04:43 AM
Is the spare bolted to the rear bumper? If yes, then a bike rack will too - but probably not both safely as that back bumper and the way it's mounted just isn't heavily enough built without reinforcing. I would be more inclined to use the TV's front bumper if it is a pickup.

A personal comment about rear bumper mounted bike racks - they are at the furthest end of a long 'train' and are subject to lots of heavy bouncing. With that bounce, those bikes do lots of flopping around. If you have a chance, watch a towed vehicle on the road and how they move befor you commit. I've seen over 40 years a rack full of bikes cbreak loose and slide down the road, a couple bikes loosen and bend a wheel when it shifted position along with a broken frame on a bike.

Canonman
11-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Simple answer "Don't DO IT"
Our son in law did and nearly had disastrous results. We were following and saw the whole thing play out.
The metal used on the rear bumper is way too thin. It will tear at the support welds. The welds are strong enough but the bumper material is just too thin to support the stress of a bike rack cantilevered off the bumper and the twisting that occurs as you go down the road. The material just tears away from the supports.
Spend about $400 and have a shop weld a real 2" receiver hitch to the back of your Hideout and never worry about your bikes again.

Cqyqte
11-27-2017, 05:09 AM
I added a bike rack to the back of our travel trailer by making a hitch that mechanically mounts to the frame and sits just up under the 4" bumper. The bumpers are way to thin and so poorly mounted to the frame, I question whether they structurely can support the spare tire safely.

Cqyqte
11-27-2017, 05:13 AM
The next tricky part is to find a rack that is rated to be used on the back of a travel trailer. Most rack manufacturers specifically state not to use them on the back of an RV.

Ken / Claudia
12-02-2017, 10:44 AM
They likely do not advise it because of the bounce. As a state trooper more then once I stopped RVers who had stuff about to fall, did fall or will fall off a RV bumper mount. As stated just follow someone with anything added to the rear bumper or even a hitch. The items need more support and tie downs then most use.

5J's
12-02-2017, 06:12 PM
Everything that's been said above. I welded two 1/4" thick pieces of angle iron back to back between the bumper support tubes behind the bumper and flush with the top of the bumper. I then welded a 12" receiver hitch tube to the angle iron and let it rest on top of the bumper.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171203/785d2e680cb82ea9f27acd79aa9cf65c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171203/80f1d4313abd67c04e47c88cb642863a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171203/e66cc0611940c93895179654a911a506.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Cqyqte
12-04-2017, 06:32 AM
They likely do not advise it because of the bounce. As a state trooper more then once I stopped RVers who had stuff about to fall, did fall or will fall off a RV bumper mount. As stated just follow someone with anything added to the rear bumper or even a hitch. The items need more support and tie downs then most use.

I agree, on my rack I replaced the thumb screw tighteners with nylon locking nut and actual bolts, as well as adding two tightening rods that run from the upright post to the mounting bolts that mount the hitch to the trailer frame rails. These give the rack a 3 point connection to the frame of the trailer reducing the chance of the bikes and rack from whipping when the trailer bounces down the hiway.

cpt_majestic
12-04-2017, 07:24 AM
Can I bolt a bicycle rack to the back bumper of my hideout 26rls? It bolts on with u- bolts.

I have the same hideout and I use a bolt on for 2 bikes, but that's all. I researched it for a while and talked to a lot of people and I decided to go for it, it's worked fine for 4 years, I also gone on very long trips. Don't put anything heavier or you'll be in trouble
http://i64.tinypic.com/30j3fhj.jpg

Ken / Claudia
12-04-2017, 10:07 AM
What ever a person puts on the rear of the RV. I suggest have a way to see what's happening to your cargo. Someone follow or use a go pro etc. and really make sure it is not bouncing like a yo- yo before you take it on any trip.

mskeyspirate
01-02-2018, 10:44 AM
here's a short answer....OH GOD NO ! Was following a friends camper. I ran over the first bike, the bumper and the second bike went off to the side of the rode with no danger. I quicky bought the mount and rack that bolts to the a frame above the propane tanks.

mthopton
01-15-2018, 08:47 AM
On my Passport, I installed a 2” receiver direct to the frame rails which holds a 1Up bicycle rack. We’ve had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk