PDA

View Full Version : Hitch height

Pull Toy
11-23-2017, 06:25 AM
I just picked up a new F350, and the new Reese 5th wheel hitch plate looks to be a little high in the bed. When I lay a 2x4 across the bed rails, and measure down to the receiver plate, the rail to platform measurement is just over 3". Does this seem about right? If adjustments need to be made, I'd like to do it before I need to pull. The pin box on my Alpine has a 9" drop from the horizontal plane of the overhang.

Any help would be appreciated, so thanks in advance.

chuckster57
11-23-2017, 06:28 AM
6” from bed rails to fiver is about what you want, so based on your measurements it sounds like your good.

rhagfo
11-23-2017, 07:12 AM
6” from bed rails to fiver is about what you want, so based on your measurements it sounds like your good.

I agree, but you also need to hook up before making any changes, and then look at how level the 5er is.

JRTJH
11-23-2017, 08:21 AM
Steve,

I believe you had a 2006 SuperDuty before ??? The bedrails on the new SuperDuty trucks are taller than on the older ones, so measuring from the bedrails down to the hitch plate will be a different measurement than on your old truck. If you remember the measurement from your old truck's bedrails to the bed, you can measure the new one, subtract the numbers and find the difference in height. That will tell you about how much less clearance you'll have with the new truck (between the top of the bedrail and the trailer overhang). But even with that, the bed height is taller on the new truck so you won't be able to adjust for a "level trailer" until you get it all set up, hitched and tow it to a level place and do some measurements.

Ain't it fun getting a new truck and setting things up ??? LOL

Pull Toy
11-23-2017, 08:36 AM
Looks like tomorrow is Hook up day!

Thanks for the input, and stay tuned!

JRTJH
11-23-2017, 08:43 AM
While you're sitting in the "pilot's seat" of that new truck, enjoy that "new car smell"... It never seems to last long enough, but ain't it a nice smell ???? LOL

Dave W
11-23-2017, 11:37 AM
You may be able to change the 4" rear spring blocks on that F350 to the F250's 2". Or, to clarify some, that was a way to do a quick back end lowering through 2015. Later???

Only a full hookup and measure will give you some needed further info:)