PDA

View Full Version : Help...generator not charging batteries

Kurtpenn
11-19-2017, 08:17 AM
2017 3900 Alpine... has optional generator... generator is not charging house batteries, we can't figure out why? We think it could be an issue with the converter/ inverter but can't locate it. Can anyone help?

PARAPTOR
11-19-2017, 08:23 AM
Check your battery disconnect switch, make sure switch is in correct position " coach batteries connected to rig" we have also heard of bad connections on that switch, which is generally located in the convenience center

Added: with this switch in the wrong position rig batteries will also not charge on shore power

chuckster57
11-19-2017, 08:40 AM
Welcome to the Forum :wlcm:

Sounds like the dealer installed the gen? if so look at the gen, take the cover off and check the breakers on the left side. When the gen is running do you have any 110V power in the coach at all?

If memory serves me correct, the gen will charge the batteries straight back through the 12V wires for the gen to start.

PARAPTOR
11-19-2017, 08:58 AM
I was assuming your generator was supplying 110 VAC but the batteries were not charging. I was also assuming the generator did not have a separate battery, ie started off the coach battery and was charged by the rig converter.

Do batteries charge when on shore power?

ChuckS
11-20-2017, 07:43 AM
Wonder if he got it fixed. You guys tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lt_cowboy
11-20-2017, 11:06 AM
The converter on my 2016 Alpine can only be accessed by removing the center panel of the aft basement wall... Ours wasn't charging by any method, and it was discovered that both 40 amp reverse polarity fuses on the converter were blown either at factory or by the dealer. When I upgrade the converter, I'm going to relocate it to a location that can be easily serviced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JRTJH
11-20-2017, 11:35 AM
lt_cowboy,

For the sake of clarity on the forum. You're talking about the CONverter (not the INverter).

CONverters change 120VAC into 12VDC to charge batteries and operate the 12 volt system in your trailer.

INverters change 12VDC into 120 VAC to operate things that typically are only available when connected to shore power. Things like the microwave, TV, air conditioner, possibly the refrigerator (typically if it's a compressor style refrigerator).

When you stated the reverse polarity fuses were blown, that indicated to most that you're describing the CONverter.

lt_cowboy
11-21-2017, 05:16 AM
lt_cowboy,

For the sake of clarity on the forum. You're talking about the CONverter (not the INverter).

CONverters change 120VAC into 12VDC to charge batteries and operate the 12 volt system in your trailer.

INverters change 12VDC into 120 VAC to operate things that typically are only available when connected to shore power. Things like the microwave, TV, air conditioner, possibly the refrigerator (typically if it's a compressor style refrigerator).

When you stated the reverse polarity fuses were blown, that indicated to most that you're describing the CONverter.Thanks for the CORrection. I was in a hurry. Fixed for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk