PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing - Anode Rod

MerlinB
11-15-2017, 12:15 PM
This is my water heater anode rod after two years. Doesn't look too bad but I think I will replace it anyway. Cheap insurance.

SteveC7010
11-15-2017, 12:58 PM
This is my water heater anode rod after two years. Doesn't look too bad but I think I will replace it anyway. Cheap insurance.
I've talked to several service techs about the anodes. They suggest changing it out when there's between 1/4 and 1/3 of the material left. Remember that it is designed to self destruct over time to prevent minerals in the water from damaging the tank material. Yours is barely 15% gone so there is plenty of life left in it.

chuckster57
11-15-2017, 01:25 PM
I agree, I would run it another season.

earlzach
11-15-2017, 02:19 PM
I would trash it.

JRTJH
11-15-2017, 02:41 PM
Send it to me. It looks better than the one I took out last year, cleaned up, used this year, cleaned up again last month, and plan to use again next year. It's not that I'm cheap, but I also don't replace my batteries every time they get "recharged" nor do I replace my tires every time I rotate them.... Heck, come to think of it, I don't throw out the rest of a gallon of milk after I pour a glass or two.... maybe I should start rethinking how "thrifty I am" and become more wasteful..... :popcorn:

jerseyphil
11-15-2017, 02:44 PM
When I winterize my RV, and drain the water from my water heater, and turn the diverter off, I remove my still good anode rod and replace it with the threaded part of my 1st anode rod that deteriorated. I cut off the deteriorated part.

I dry off the good anode rod, wrap it in paper towel, and store it away until I de-winterize. My RV is 7 yrs old and my 2nd anode rod is still in excellent condition.

earlzach
11-15-2017, 02:49 PM
My trips are usually 3 weeks to a month apart so I remove mine after each trip. This keeps me from ever getting smelly water. Plus my anoid looked brand new for 3 years.

xrated
11-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Is no one noticing that the short area about an inch or so long, right the end of the treads is almost completely gone? The main body of the anode seems in pretty good shape, but the first inch or so by the threads is in danger of breaking in two and leaving the rest of the anode to not be connected. I would definitely replace it.

Javi
11-15-2017, 03:49 PM
Is no one noticing that the short area about an inch or so long, right the end of the treads is almost completely gone? The main body of the anode seems in pretty good shape, but the first inch or so by the threads is in danger of breaking in two and leaving the rest of the anode to not be connected. I would definitely replace it.

There is a steel rod where you are looking... I've never seen an anode rod that didn't start the sacrificial process at the threaded plug..

xrated
11-15-2017, 04:06 PM
There is a steel rod where you are looking... I've never seen an anode rod that didn't start the sacrificial process at the threaded plug..

And once again Javi, you have got me straighten out on an RV issue! :bow: Most of you know that this is my first camping type trailer.....so thanks for being "gentle"! :D

cpaulsen
11-15-2017, 05:18 PM
I would just replace it. I change mine once a year(we full-time) and always a spare with me.

travelin texans
11-15-2017, 08:41 PM
I would just replace it. I change mine once a year(we full-time) and always a spare with me.

I change mine annually also & carry a spare rod, spare heating element & spare 120 volt & 12 volt thermostats. If you got 2 years from that one, which BTW I would not reuse, then it cost you about $6 per year, they're about $12 to replace.

Desert185
11-15-2017, 09:19 PM
I’m beginning my fourth year with the original anode. Still looks good.

bobbecky
11-15-2017, 10:53 PM
I don't winterize as we full time, but I do replace the anode yearly and flush the tank out. Even with all that, I still had to replace the water heater last year due to a crack at a weld, almost $500 for the unit, plus my labor. I figure the little bit spent each year for a new anode is cheap insurance. Since we travel to all parts of the country, we experience all kinds of water and the anode deteriorates differently every year. Not worth guessing how long it will last year to year.

Javi
11-16-2017, 05:06 AM
I generally drain and flush my HWT anytime we will not be using the trailer for more than a couple of weeks.. each time I inspect the anode rod and replace as needed..

Depending on where we've traveled and how long the tank has stayed in service the amount of anode remaining varies greatly.. Some times I've replaced it within a year and sometimes 2 years...

In my case, I would not replace the OP's anode as it sits...

rhagfo
11-16-2017, 05:48 AM
I’m beginning my fourth year with the original anode. Still looks good.

Just checked mine and after four years still looks almost new, some pitting, but way better than OP's.

Desert185
11-16-2017, 07:18 AM
I would think that the change interval would be based on the yearly condition of the anode, rather than a fixed timeframe. Even if one lives in a climate precluding winterizing, an annual HWT flush and anode inspection should be accomplished and should be a frequent enough interval to replace the anode should it’s condition indicate replacement is necessary.

JRTJH
11-16-2017, 07:29 AM
It's the same with a S&B water heater. Most people, if asked, don't even know that their home water heater has an anode rod. Of those that do, probably well over half (the vast majority) have never inspected their anode rod, have never flushed their water heater and many might not even know where it's installed in the appliance.

That might account for the number of water heater replacements that occur in the 7th year of tanks with a 6 year warranty ???? :cool:

Desert185
11-16-2017, 07:39 AM
Maybe like smoke detector batteries and central air/heat filters...

Guilty on the last one.

MerlinB
11-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Hahaha, I didn't intend to start a debate, just wanted to toss out a reminder for those that might not have thought about checking the anode rod at the end of the season. But, I do agree with those who said replacement should be based on condition and not on a fixed schedule.

After reading everyone's comments maybe I will keep it for another year.

Thanks for all of the feedback. It's what keeps this forum interesting.

Tbos
11-16-2017, 02:29 PM
My trips are usually 3 weeks to a month apart so I remove mine after each trip. This keeps me from ever getting smelly water. Plus my anoid looked brand new for 3 years.

My 2810 doesn't have one at all. I'm guessing they changed HWH manufacturers.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

earlzach
11-16-2017, 02:36 PM

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRWMy last trailer has it not my passport.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

JRTJH
11-16-2017, 02:36 PM

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

Suburban water heaters have a porcelain lined steel tank and an anode rod.
Atwood water heaters have a formed/welded aluminum alloy tank and don't require an anode.