PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Pancake Dome lights

Englandsc
11-13-2017, 10:48 AM
Looking for any advice or support videos on replacing faulty pancake lights with LED versions. 2015 Hideout model

SteveC7010
11-13-2017, 11:27 AM
Looking for any advice or support videos on replacing faulty pancake lights with LED versions. 2015 Hideout model
How about a pic of the fixtures you are talking about? Sometimes it's a lot easier and less expensive to just change the bulbs, but we need a better idea about your particular situation.

sourdough
11-13-2017, 02:26 PM
^^^^What Steve said. Just replacing the LEDs would be more economical I would think.

bobbecky
11-13-2017, 04:22 PM
A couple years ago we had one stop working. Turned out the heat from the incandescent bulbs overheated the plastic housing. It only took a couple wire splices and installed the fixture with a couple screws. I ended up replacing the bulbs in all the rest of the fixtures with LED bulbs.

Englandsc
11-14-2017, 08:13 AM
How about a pic of the fixtures you are talking about? Sometimes it's a lot easier and less expensive to just change the bulbs, but we need a better idea about your particular situation.

The switch seems to be burned out or malfunctioning. The bulbs appear to be fine - the switch no longer works so I thought I'd just replace the whole unit with LED's.

SteveC7010
11-14-2017, 09:35 AM
The switch seems to be burned out or malfunctioning. The bulbs appear to be fine - the switch no longer works so I thought I'd just replace the whole unit with LED's.
You can purchase replacement switches for that fixture, but if you want to move up to LED, it's a good time to just swap out the whole lamp assembly.

Therer's all kinds of replacements out there. Amazon and Ebay are decent sources, or just stop at the RV parts department and see what they have. Obviously, you'd want something in a similar shape or at least large enough to cover the existing holes.

There's no magic to replacing them... They're held to the ceiling with just a couple of screws. There's usually several inches of slack wire behind them. If you are going to throw the old fixtures out, I recommend cutting the wire close to it. If you're going to save it for a spare, clip the wires a few inches away so you have enough to splice.

Then it's a simple matter of splicing the wires with some insulated crimp connectors and mounting up the new fixture.