PDA

View Full Version : Walmart’s ? Anyone ever spend the night

Sailorpat1954
11-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Has anyone ever spent a night in Walmart’s parking lot while traveling ? Do you check in with the store? Where do you park ?

We are planing a trip the end of the month. It was going to New Mexico but now we are thing Florida due to the weather being warming.

So while traveling we were thinking about Walmart’s and rest areas.

Thanks

Pat and Debbie
Dearborn Michigan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

notanlines
11-07-2017, 12:37 PM
Pat, DW and I have spent many, many nights in Wally-World parking lots. We look at our phone app to see if it is one that usually accepts people in their lot and then when we arrive she goes in and talks to store personnel to get the okay. Always get the name of the person you talk to. We never get all comfy, put out all the slides, light the fire ring or grill steaks. We do park where directed, fire up the generator, purchase a few things to help pay for the hospitality and then tell them thanks in the morning when we leave. Your phone app is AllStays.

JRTJH
11-07-2017, 01:42 PM
There is a Yahoo discussion group called WalMart RVing. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/walmartrving/info

There are about 10,000 ,members and quite an extensive listing of which WalMarts allow overnight stays, facilities nearby and any precautions such as vandalism, theft, errant birds, wayward sprinkler systems, etc. It's updated regularly and is an "open, free group"....

CrazyCain
11-07-2017, 02:38 PM
DW and I stayed at one for the first time last August, even had the pleasure of meeting John (JRTJH) as he and his DW came to visit us at the Gaylord WM.. Had zero problems, slept like a baby and paid our "dues" by buying a few things in the store. Plan on doing that again next year on pur way UP to the U.P again..

:popcorn:

Sailorpat1954
11-07-2017, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys. I downloaded all stay and joined the yahoo group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdaniel
11-07-2017, 03:49 PM
We stay at Walmart often now that it is just my wife and I and we just want a safe place to sleep. I have a Honda EU3000i generator that is very quiet.

Also our 325SRX has 60 gallons of fresh water so we can go several nights taking showers and doing dishes before we need to replenish.

We feel safe at Walmart and there is always something we need while we are there.

I will not stay in a rest area. We sometimes stay at a truck stop after asking permission of course.

Bobby

bsmith0404
11-07-2017, 04:16 PM
Stayed at Walmart many times while I was transporting. Most allow you to stay, only ran into a few that didn’t. The ones that said no, had signs in the parking lot on the light poles. Some have you park in the same area as the tractor trailers, others have you park in a different area to avoid damage. For the most part, just stay at the far ends/corners of the lots to avoid causing parking problems for other customers.

Jonas
11-08-2017, 05:41 AM
Has anyone ever spent a night in Walmart’s parking lot while traveling ? Do you check in with the store? Where do you park ?

We are planing a trip the end of the month. It was going to New Mexico but now we are thing Florida due to the weather being warming.

So while traveling we were thinking about Walmart’s and rest areas

We've stayed at wally world a few times but prefer a nice Home Depot or other home improvement center back lot. Cracker barrels and many other businesses are far quieter options overnight as well. We have never "checked in" or asked permission.
We really like road side rest areas and parks for stops while traveling. Some of them are very nice and quite remote! Some travelers get nervous about personal safety but my wife and I are quite prepared and capable people as we all should be.

bsmith0404
11-08-2017, 06:12 AM
I’ve found many places to stay while I was transporting. Just about any large store will have some far off corner of the lot that they don’t mind people staying at. The reason I liked Walmart is I could use their restroom facilities. As a transporter I couldn’t use the ones in the trailer and with my personal RV I don’t travel with anything in the tanks.

Sailorpat1954
11-08-2017, 06:17 AM
We've stayed at wally world a few times but prefer a nice Home Depot or other home improvement center back lot. Cracker barrels and many other businesses are far quieter options overnight as well. We have never "checked in" or asked permission.
We really like road side rest areas and parks for stops while traveling. Some of them are very nice and quite remote! Some travelers get nervous about personal safety but my wife and I are quite prepared and capable people as we all should be.

Yes we are always prepared also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

{tpc}
11-08-2017, 07:49 AM
I parked in one for a few hours during a storm filled trip home, didn't check in, but had no problems. Other than my wife doesn't enjoy it.

AndyNSarah
11-15-2017, 11:26 AM
Great thread...was wondering about this. We will likely be doing this a time or 2 next year.

kjohn
02-18-2018, 07:16 PM
A few years ago, we bought our first TT. My wife had never been camping (if you can call it that) with a trailer, so we just went to the nearest Walmart for a night, then to another one not far away for another night. Worked out good, as we were able to outfit our little trailer.

Since then, we have often stayed in Walmart parking lots. I always go in and ask, and have always been given the go ahead. We always make sure to buy something we will use.

The only lot I wouldn't stay in is the Walmart in Whitehorse, YT. It is a major zoo, huge land yachts parked every which way. The lot is packed by early afternoon.

We have never had any trouble at a Walmart. Usually soon after closing time, it gets very quiet. I did have to move one night in Prince Albert, SK. The young fellow was very apologetic when he came to the door. They were going to sweep the lot, and he said to just move to the other side of the lane and all was good.

FlyingAroundRV
02-18-2018, 09:23 PM
There is a Yahoo discussion group called WalMart RVing. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/walmartrving/info

There are about 10,000 ,members and quite an extensive listing of which WalMarts allow overnight stays, facilities nearby and any precautions such as vandalism, theft, errant birds, wayward sprinkler systems, etc. It's updated regularly and is an "open, free group"....
Just looked that up and joined that group. There's a lot of info in the lists there!
Thanks for passing it on.
(ty)

DLfuzion
04-26-2018, 08:18 PM
Yes, on our way to Utah from Michigan we stopped at Walmart in Wyoming. I know you are supposed to check in but there were so many trucks and campers in the lot, I just found a spot and camped with the rest of them. My wife thinks people peek in the campers, if they do they'll get stared right back by 2 big black labs.

sourdough
04-26-2018, 08:45 PM
I'm a little late to this conversation and will have those that vehemently object to my post.

I think it's an imposition on any business for anyone using an RV to think they can just pull in, park, take up space on private property and think it's OK. That, to me, is silly. I wouldn't dream of pulling into a farmer's field and just setting up because it was "clear" land. Same on my property....things are going to go sideways very quickly. Walmart is the same.

RV owners should (hopefully) understand the costs that come with the lifestyle; finding a place to put them every night when traveling - not a "free" spot you can find in some person's open spot. If you can't pay for the hobby, don't play. I've seen some very "stressing" situations with RVs parked in public parking lots....they all embarrass me to be one of "those people".

Let the fun begin.... :)

DLfuzion
04-26-2018, 08:54 PM
I agree in most part about just any public spot, but Walmart has made it very aware that they are welcoming campers to stay overnight. The truckers are all there too. I do make sure I buy something when I did stay there the one time in my life. I can afford any place I want, it was just convenient at midnight to pull in to sleep a few hours.

Freeheel4life
04-26-2018, 09:51 PM
I'm a little late to this conversation and will have those that vehemently object to my post.

I think it's an imposition on any business for anyone using an RV to think they can just pull in, park, take up space on private property and think it's OK. That, to me, is silly. I wouldn't dream of pulling into a farmer's field and just setting up because it was "clear" land. Same on my property....things are going to go sideways very quickly. Walmart is the same.

RV owners should (hopefully) understand the costs that come with the lifestyle; finding a place to put them every night when traveling - not a "free" spot you can find in some person's open spot. If you can't pay for the hobby, don't play. I've seen some very "stressing" situations with RVs parked in public parking lots....they all embarrass me to be one of "those people".

Well I can't help but play devil's advocate a little bit here Danny. We plan a lot of our trips in National Forests, Buereau of Land Management, or other state run lands simply to avoid the costs of the "lifestyle", and it's what we like. I dont mean developed areas either. We have also camped in rest areas but like others mention we keep a low profile, and usually no more than 6 houses or so to sleep. Pretty easy with the 2 doors and rear living as we can do our thing and slide doesn't have to go our more than about 8". We have only stayed in a park once. I use a local one for my dumping and tank fills as their setup is nicer than most others(Riverside RV in Boise)
I feel like it boils down to the courtesy/permission thing. Have hunted quail on others property after a simple knock on the door and a nice chat. Have stayed the night in a hotel parking lot after a chat with the front desk and we made sure to patronize their restaurant for breakfast in the morning before we pulled out.
Not hopping the fence and taking liberties, or taking advantage of the situation and getting permission seems like it's not an imposition on the landowner/business owner.
Ugh, you laid the trap and I stepped right in it.

sourdough
04-26-2018, 10:45 PM
Well I can't help but play devil's advocate a little bit here Danny. We plan a lot of our trips in National Forests, Buereau of Land Management, or other state run lands simply to avoid the costs of the "lifestyle", and it's what we like. I dont mean developed areas either. We have also camped in rest areas but like others mention we keep a low profile, and usually no more than 6 houses or so to sleep. Pretty easy with the 2 doors and rear living as we can do our thing and slide doesn't have to go our more than about 8". We have only stayed in a park once. I use a local one for my dumping and tank fills as their setup is nicer than most others(Riverside RV in Boise)
I feel like it boils down to the courtesy/permission thing. Have hunted quail on others property after a simple knock on the door and a nice chat. Have stayed the night in a hotel parking lot after a chat with the front desk and we made sure to patronize their restaurant for breakfast in the morning before we pulled out.
Not hopping the fence and taking liberties, or taking advantage of the situation and getting permission seems like it's not an imposition on the landowner/business owner.
Ugh, you laid the trap and I stepped right in it.

It wasn't meant as a trap and shouldn't be. I'm with you; stayed countless nights on BLM/forest service land where I could, and should, be. That's what we all pay for....and it's wonderful. I just think that it's wrong headed to plan a long trip around staying in someone else's paid for, private property....just because it looks open. We've all been to Walmarts. When you walk in and talk to the "manager" what did you find? An investor with Walmart? Someone that could speak for the corporation? Of course not. You talked to some person that didn't know. So they say you can stay overnite. What else would they do? Start a who knows what kind of situation in their store?

Walmart owns LOTS of property. The key is THEY own it. WE, as RVers don't. We have no right to use it because it looks big and vacant. We should have the wherewithal to actually take care of ourselves without depending/forcing another land owner to do that for us.

Some say that Walmart "condones", "endorses", "encourages" RVers to take up their parking lots. I don't believe that's true. On this last trip back from FL I encountered Walmarts that have taken routes to stop RV traffic; Low hanging bars to limit clearance; signs that refuse RVs etc. It's not that they want, and endorse Rvers, it's simply that we inject ourselves and they try to be polite.

Did I mention that planning, a little money etc. means there is an RV park down the road, that wants your business is waiting....JMO :flowers:

JRTJH
04-27-2018, 03:37 AM
From the WalMart website: https://corporate.walmart.com/frequently-asked-questions#Park_RV

Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?
While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.

So, WalMart's corporate policy has given individual store managers the permission to allow RV parking on property owned by the corporation. Not to start a "war of words" but WalMart, Sam's Club, K-Mart all have allowed overnight parking in their "unused pavement" as have Pilot, Flying J, Travel Centers of America and Oasis truck stops.

There are some locations that do not allow overnight parking, usually because of local ordinances imposed by city or county governments. In those areas, you can get a ticket or be forced to move by local police, which is just one more reason to "get permission from the store manager" before parking for the night.

Common courtesy is to remain "inconspicuous" by not using awnings, extending slides, no lawn furniture, no grills, etc. Most require the tow vehicle to remain connected to the trailer so it can be moved is needed. So, if you do choose to become a "WalMart camper", please follow their manager's rules for his parking lot.

chuckster57
04-27-2018, 03:58 AM
Allstays app will let you search for WM stores that allow/prohibit overnight parking. I personally don’t use WM or rest stops.

ctbruce
04-27-2018, 04:56 AM
Walmart will do anything to generate income. That's why their stores are open 24 hours. They already had crews there restocking all night. Add a couple more people and viola', more revenue. Same with allowing Rv's overnight. More potential revenue and good will for little or no cost.

That all said, the Walmarts that are not RV friendly may be due to city ordinances rather than Walmart desires. The cities have the ultimate final say.

66joej
04-27-2018, 05:50 AM
Have never stayed at a Walmart with our RV but have talked to people that have. In Canada the difference whether or not the particular store allows RVs is if Walmart owns or leases the land the store is built on. Also city/town ordinances play a part in this as Walmart or any other stores have no control to allow overnight parking.

Barbell
04-27-2018, 07:16 AM
We have stayed in a Walmart lot only once; in Joliet, IL. When we parked, we were the only rig there. When we left the next morning, there were at least 50 semis around us. No other RVs. Recently there was a gun fight in the local Walmart lot, one killed and several injured. I know they all are not like that but we don't like taking that chance.

travelin texans
04-27-2018, 07:38 AM

I agree with this 100%! But there will be those that "park" at Wal-Mart & to me that's the key word "park" not "camp". Seen those wth their slides out unhooked with awnings deployed sitting in their lawn chairs grilling lunch & that's just flat out WRONG. If you drive late, leave early that's one thing, but spending all day there??? If your too cheap to pay for park/campground don't buy the rv.

camperbrian
04-27-2018, 07:52 AM
I've been watching this couple's YouTube videos on RV life. Here they give some tips on spending the night in a Walmart parking lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohMucs9RO-I

sourdough
04-27-2018, 10:50 AM
From the WalMart website: https://corporate.walmart.com/frequently-asked-questions#Park_RV

Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?
While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.

So, WalMart's corporate policy has given individual store managers the permission to allow RV parking on property owned by the corporation. Not to start a "war of words" but WalMart, Sam's Club, K-Mart all have allowed overnight parking in their "unused pavement" as have Pilot, Flying J, Travel Centers of America and Oasis truck stops.

There are some locations that do not allow overnight parking, usually because of local ordinances imposed by city or county governments. In those areas, you can get a ticket or be forced to move by local police, which is just one more reason to "get permission from the store manager" before parking for the night.

Common courtesy is to remain "inconspicuous" by not using awnings, extending slides, no lawn furniture, no grills, etc. Most require the tow vehicle to remain connected to the trailer so it can be moved is needed. So, if you do choose to become a "WalMart camper", please follow their manager's rules for his parking lot.

Thanks John. My original comment saying I didn't think WM endorsed the "overnite" parking was a little off looks like.

That said, I think your comment about the courteous things one should do are spot on and the examples I have in my mind are of people that don't do that; multiple Class As parked side by side, awnings, slides and levelers down; lawn chairs out and bbq pits fired up while having some cold ones - at 4:30-5 in the afternoon. We had one in our local WM parking lot that literally set his rig up, disconnected the toad, unloaded some bicycles and stayed there for many days while the kids used the parking lot for a playground. I could go on and on.

The video posted previously brings up another thing. Why would you want to drive, towing your RV, until you can't stay awake - through the middle of the night? Not only is that dangerous, to me it defeats the purpose of travel and seeing new places. If the urgency is to get to point B due to an emergency that's one thing. If it's just the normal course of travel every day you need to plan better IMO. And to sit in a private parking lot until 10:30 or 11 am?? As far as the portion about rest areas not allowing overnite stays; the folks in the video blamed the rules for placing them in danger for having to drive when they were sleepy.....what? It is the driver that is responsible for making sure he has made arrangements so that situation doesn't arise IMO. Not to start a commentary on the video because it had some good points; I just thought that portion was off the mark.

With the explosion of RVs and folks traveling with them I think it's only time before the WM position will change and RVs will not be allowed simply due to over use and a lack of courtesy. To me that's a shame because there are some legitimate reasons to make an emergency overnite stay in places like that but it should be the rare exception, not a part of your standard planning for a trip. :soapbox: I'm off the soapbox. My thoughts and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of coffee.....somewhere I hope:)

JRTJH
04-27-2018, 11:22 AM
Danny,

I completely agree with you that NOBODY should be setting up a campsite in a commercial parking lot !!! That's not only rude, it's taking advantage of a very generous offer by some merchants that, if abused, will result in all of us losing the ability to sleep for a few hours if/when the need arises. So, yes, it's a program sponsored by WalMart corporate headquarters, managed by the individual stores and, for the most part, used by appreciate customers. There's always the exception, the "JERK" who uses it for much more than he should and who gives us all a bad name. But, life is like that in almost all categories. There seems to always be that "one guy who's in it for himself, screw the rest".....

Now, an example of why/how using a WalMart parking lot is advantageous. Let's assume you want to camp for a week in a state park that's 400 miles from home. The park doesn't take reservations, it's a "first come/first served" type of campground. Checkout time is 11 AM and most people leave on Sunday so they can get home for work on Monday. So, you want to stay a week and it's too far to drive to be there in time to get a site as the current campers leave at 11AM. There's no other campgrounds within 100 miles that you can go to "set up for one night"... One alternative, so you're "on site at the destination at 1030AM is to go "almost there the evening before, catch some sleep at WalMart's lot for a few hours and leave around 7 or 8 AM to drive that last 100 miles, so you're at the campground as people are leaving. If you tried to leave from home, you'd have to leave at 10PM and drive all night, (not a good option) and if you left home the afternoon before and parked on the side of the road outside the campground, you'd be "squatting on the highway"....

What's a family to do? WalMart provides a solution by offering their parking lot as a solution. Provides good will, alternatives and they get increased profits in return. A win/win....

That's just one example (I know people who do it this way) and I'm sure there's other reasons for other people to take advantage of WalMart's hospitality.

sourdough
04-27-2018, 11:47 AM
John,

I think your example is a legitimate one. If there is no RV park close then it makes sense. I'm sure there are other scenarios like that as well. And, you know, I've seen RVs in Walmart parking lots that you almost don't notice. They come in about dark. Park out of the way. No noise. Almost like they're not even there. Next day they're gone. I think that's the way it should be done - you don't even think about those folks.

Unfortunately, the numbers are growing constantly along with those that lack courtesy and many have gone from "parking" overnite to "camping" in the parking lot. I think it is very nice of WM to give RVrs that option and it could be a great benefit to someone in a situation like you describe above. I just personally don't think a person should abuse that privilege by making WM lots part of their every day traveling plan. As I said, with the explosive growth of RVs, and if everyone jumps on the bandwagon of pulling into a WM parking lot, it will become unmanageable for WM and the privilege will be withdrawn.

JRTJH
04-27-2018, 12:02 PM
People ruining the benefit is my concern as well. I think it is extremely generous for WalMart to offer the opportunity to people who are travelling. We have only stayed in a WalMart lot one night. We were running behind schedule because of bad weather, it was impossible to make the campground where we had reservations and all the campgrounds within driving distance were either closed or full. We were faced with the option of driving all night, parking in an interstate rest area or at a WalMart. We chose the WalMart, arrived about 830 at night, obtained permission, bought some fried chicken, potato salad and a loaf of French bread, walked the dog, ate, crawled in bed and were gone by 6 the next morning. I suppose we could have managed to drive all night, but where would we have slept the next morning when it was too hot to sleep in the trailer and still didn't have a campsite? So, I suppose I'm "guilty" of taking advantage of WalMart's hospitality, but we sure did appreciate the ability to get some sleep after fighting the rain and thunderstorms all day and being stranded without an possibility to get to our next reservation.

I might add that experience is why we don't make reservations while enroute. We lost 2 days of reservations at a very expensive campground (the only one that was open in that area) and they refused the refund even though we called as soon as we knew we weren't going to make it because of weather problems. $89 per night and no refunds because we didn't cancel 72 hours before arrival. It didn't start raining until 24 hours before arrival, so...... Lesson Learned !!!

sourdough
04-27-2018, 03:09 PM
I would have done the same thing in your predicament. That, to me, is when the ability to use a WM parking lot would be invaluable. I won't drive all night nor stop on the side of the road.

Faced with what you were on the reservation situation, I might rethink my strategy of always planning out my route and having reservations along the way. Having a set route with preselected stops is somewhat "stiff" and seemingly doesn't give one much flexibility. In reality though, we change stuff enroute quite often. RV parks either let us reschedule or cancel. We did stay at a fancy location once that did have a big paragraph about cancellation policies, lengthy cancellation notice and loss of payments; but we made it into that one OK. The peace of mind it gives us to know when we are going to arrive, that we have a place waiting, where it is etc. puts us at ease and lets us plan the evening there beforehand. We spent enough nights in our younger years driving until you couldn't stay awake, spend 1-2 hours looking for a motel to only find a rat infested dump or nothing and then sleep in the car. My interest in that kind of "excitement" is totally gone. Plus, knowing where I'll be gives me a chance to do one of my favorite things; review all the nearby restaurants and then EAT at one of them:) like Jan's River Restaurant in Shreveport near the KOA! Fish is very good BUT the bean soup....wow, the bean soup. They give you a small cup of it with the meal. When I tasted it I told the server to forget my meal and bring me a large porridge bowl full of the beans with fresh bread!! I was joking but it was sure good..:smitten:. Sorry for the distraction...but I will go back.

jimthemosaicguy
04-28-2018, 07:42 AM
I’ve periodically stayed overnight at Walmart with no issues. During the day I’ll estimate how far I can get that day and while on the road I find Walmart’s in the area I want to stop for the night and call ahead to inquire whether they allow overnight, if so, when they want me gone and other requirements etc. they’ve always been pleasant. I’ve never been turned away.

Once there, I find a spot along the edge, that appears to be safe, relatively level and away from areas that shoppers would park first.

Since it’s usually pretty late when I pull in and fairly early when I leave I’ve never asked about staying all day or a 2nd night, grilling, chairs etc.

Laredo Tugger
04-28-2018, 12:46 PM
If I NEED WM I might use it. If we are behind schedule (to a reservation at a camp site/park) due to weather or traffic (accident/construction) then I would consider the WM only after permission and a plan to stay out of the way.
But I certainly would not build a campfire on the asphalt parking lot like some folks supposedly did and that store manager was forced to cancel future overnight RV stays.
Some people.......
RMc

roadglide
04-28-2018, 04:40 PM
I have never stayed the night at Wal-Mart . I plane my route for casino camping or moose and elks club , truck stops are my last choice. I my start looking to walmarts FOR A stop oover.

Glenda Clark
05-03-2018, 04:21 AM
So that's why I see so many folks in the outer parking lot at my local Wally's- House.
Makes sense now. Shop and Sleep.😎

mfifield01
06-18-2018, 06:41 AM
Has anyone stayed at a rest area? It looks like most rest areas in Texas and New Mexico allow 8 hours. I've thought about having a rest area as a backup plan as I head to Colorado next month.

Jonas
06-18-2018, 07:05 AM
Has anyone stayed at a rest area? It looks like most rest areas in Texas and New Mexico allow 8 hours. I've thought about having a rest area as a backup plan as I head to Colorado next month.

Yep, lots of good spots all over if you need to overnight when out on the road. Also - No one is watching your time spent at a Texas rest area unless you make a spectacle of being there.

Cbrez
06-18-2018, 09:11 AM
The only lot I wouldn't stay in is the Walmart in Whitehorse, YT. It is a major zoo, huge land yachts parked every which way. The lot is packed by early afternoon.

Kjohn, funny you should mention Whitehorse. We didn’t camp there, but shopped there. The stench was terrible. Looked like there were some long term campers who were dumping waste into the storm drains around the perimeter of the parking lot. We made one visit to Walmart, then shopped at Canadian Tire the rest of the week.

66joej
06-18-2018, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=Cbrez;292198 We made one visit to Walmart, then shopped at Canadian Tire the rest of the week.[/QUOTE]

Steve hope what you bought was on sale. There is a saying up here about Canadian Tire. If it's not on sale this week it will the next. They also honour last week's sale price.

Cbrez
06-18-2018, 10:47 AM
Steve hope what you bought was on sale. There is a saying up here about Canadian Tire. If it's not on sale this week it will the next. They also honour last week's sale price.

Joe, Amen brother. Went to Canadian Tire in St John NB yesterday. Wanted to pick up a spare sediment cartridge for my water filter. $28 CAN. I’ll wait until we get home unless we run into some bad water - or they put it on sale. :)

ken56
06-18-2018, 12:59 PM
I burned up a wheel bearing and limped into a Wallyworld late one evening, went in and asked/informed the manager that I needed to overnight in their lot, no problem. I did not sleep well lets say.

sourdough
06-18-2018, 03:16 PM

Depending on what route you are taking there are generally rest areas (restrooms) on the interstates and a few on some major highways. There are also parking areas, pullouts etc. specifically for vehicles (usually semis and rvs) to stop and rest. I've not ever seen anyone rousting someone from one of the areas.

Bob Landry
06-18-2018, 03:25 PM
There are some places with a City Ordinance against it. Durango, CO comes to mind. It pays to check ahead.

sourdough
06-18-2018, 04:24 PM
There are some places with a City Ordinance against it. Durango, CO comes to mind. It pays to check ahead.

That sounds like Durango.....encourage dopers and winos to overindulge, pass out, puke and sleep all night on main st. then pass an ordinance against rvers from trying to stop to get some rest.....while at the same time those rvers would be spending their hard earned money in their city. :banghead: Sorry, back to the program.

mfifield01
06-19-2018, 05:57 AM
Depending on what route you are taking there are generally rest areas (restrooms) on the interstates and a few on some major highways. There are also parking areas, pullouts etc. specifically for vehicles (usually semis and rvs) to stop and rest. I've not ever seen anyone rousting someone from one of the areas.I've looked at a couple of rest areas along 385 and 87. It would just be a backup plan. I typically have a reservation, but want to just drive this time and call ahead on the way. If I can't find an RV park with availability, then I would use a rest stop.

W7PSK
06-24-2018, 08:26 AM
I use RV parks, this is due to I need power for the CPAP or I dont sleep :(.

As for Walmarts, most of the ones around here have a "No overnight Camping" sign set up.

locomech
10-16-2018, 02:19 PM
We stayed at the Walmart in Grand Is. Ne. on our first long road trip with our new 24ft Passport. We first pulled into an area on one side of the store that didn't have many cars or trucks parked there so we thought we'd be out of the way of shoppers and truckers. After asking permission to stay we were told to park on the other side of the lot by the truckers. We complied and found a spot away from the trucks and next to a grassy type of parkway. We felt that this is a good spot because we couldn't be sandwiched in between two 18 wheelers during the night. After getting settled in for the night we had a truck pull in near us that let his reefer run all night. In addition to that about two in the morning a carload of kids (in their late teens or twenties) pulled in nearby. They were drinking and carrying on with loud music till the wee hours:banghead:. I was hoping that maybe a trucker would go and have a word with them but it didn't happen. After they left and things started to quiet down a bit the sprinklers along the parkway turned on and it was the noisy water-drops on the side of the camper :facepalm: that made me get up and going. We went across the street to Dennys for breakfast and hit the road. That was the first and last time we'll do Walmart.

There are plenty of overnight campgrounds along I-80. Some are nice and some are kind of seedy, but when we travel we're locked and loaded.

bob91yj
10-16-2018, 03:24 PM

That's good to know, it must be a relatively recent change. We've been to Silverton, CO twice, I usually ironman the drive from San Diego to Durango (18 hours), roll into the Durango Walmart, catch a few winks and head out for Silverton at first light. Both times I've been done it there were several other "overnighters" there.

C.LeeNick
10-17-2018, 08:46 AM
I was driving through Page, Arizona in May, returning from a camping trip but not RV'ing that time. Stopped at the Wal-mart in Page for refreshments, as I still had about 5 hours driving ahead.

The parking lot had so many RV's in it it looked like an RV show from the 1970's through 2018. RV's pulling boats. Groups set up here and there. I saw the smallest Fifth-Wheel I've ever seen there...it didn't look longer than 18-20'.

It was quite a scene.

We've only "camped out" in a Wal-Mart parking lot once. In Silver City, New Mexico maybe 12-13 years ago. We misjudged travel time coming from the south and got caught in the dark, otherwise we'd have looked for a spot out in the boonies. The Wal-Mart parking lot was OK, but it had it's positives and negatives. On the positive side, the security guard patrolled the parking lot all night in a little pickup truck, so we felt very safe. On the negative side, he'd drive right past us over and over and the yellow flashing light on the roof and sound of the truck's engine kept waking us up all night. It was the proverbial "double-edged sword". I got up at daylight and found a road slightly south out of town that went off into the forest, where we found a nice clearing so the kids could get outside and run around, and I took a couple hour nap.

BlueJay Traveler
01-20-2019, 10:22 AM
We stay at Walmart every summer while traveling. I always call the store manager to ask if they allow short term overnight parking. I have only been told no two times in ten years. The most sketchy Walmart stay was in Chattanooga TN on our way to Sanibel Florida. There was to much traffic all throughout the night. Young kids goofing around in the AM. Most stays are pleasant. Loved our time in Missoula MT, Valdosta GA, Minnesota, South Dakota. Don't forget you can stay a many Gander Outdoors, Bass Pro Shops, and Cabela's.