PDA

View Full Version : '17 F250 and Impact - slider hitch needed?

SXSRider
11-06-2017, 11:35 AM
Hello anybody pulling a Impact 351 with a late model F250 without a slider hitch? I am strongly considering this model in the near future.

xrated
11-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Hello anybody pulling a Impact 351 with a late model F250 without a slider hitch? I am strongly considering this model in the near future.

Hopefully, you're not seriously considering an Impact 351 and an F250 together. You are CLEARLY into 1 Ton territory with that trailer....and probably a Dually. GVWR on the trailer is right at 17,000 lbs

ctbruce
11-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Funny, I was just looking at one of these online a few minutes ago. Was doing the math and figured it would be a stretch for my 1 ton Duramax Sierra SRW. Dry pin weight empty is 3000 lbs. My payload is 3900. Just too close by the time me, the DW, 3 dogs and a cooler get in the truck we'll surely be overloaded. Nice trailer. I have an Impact 312 that I love. Good luck in your decision.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

SXSRider
11-06-2017, 06:49 PM
The truck has over 12k in capacity between the axles and tires. If you think a helper leaf makes a F350 so much a safer then good for you. You do realize that a F250 with a camper package is a F350 right. A payload sticker is for taxation purposes. can do my own calculations the question is about a hitch..

SteveC7010
11-06-2017, 07:19 PM
The truck has over 12k in capacity between the axles and tires. If you think a helper leaf makes a F350 so much a safer then good for you. You do realize that a F250 with a camper package is a F350 right. A payload sticker is for taxation purposes. can do my own calculations the question is about a hitch..
You posted your question in an open forum. The answers you get are not always going to be the ones you want to hear. It's how it works and it is not going to change.

There's already a long and interesting thread about your exact question currently in progress. The specific make, model, etc. of the truck and the trailer really doesn't matter. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30936 The answer you seek is in that thread and several previous ones dating back several years. It's all the same conversation.l

chuckster57
11-06-2017, 07:53 PM

Seems like this has been discussed a lot of times. In the end, weather it’s for taxation purposes or not, if something goes wrong, and your involved in an accident, the weight rating sticker will rule.
If your state starts weighing rigs like Ca. Is doing and your over the sticker rating, you can have your RV impounded on the spot and not get it back until you bring a tow vehicle rated to tow it.

Yeah this thread is about a hitch, but when members see something that can be of concern, they point it out in case the person asking might not be aware of the potential dangers. I only hope you take their advice and think about what could happen.

ctbruce
11-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Hello anybody pulling a Impact 351 with a late model F250 without a slider hitch? I am strongly considering this model in the near future.Since you are looking at a slider, I'm guessing that you have a short bed, but you didn't say.

Some on here have towed with a slider, some without, all have their opinions about why they chose to do it their way. Search is your friend on these things. The trailer model really matters little, as it's the weight being towed that's the problem. And how close you are comfortable getting to your cab.

As I stated, when looking at the pin weight of this trailer, it's tight with a 350 single rear wheel, so it is equally (maybe, opinions differ on this) or way over a 250 capability. You are really in dually territory almost. It depends a lot on your comfort level in towing heavy with family or strangers involved.

This is not an indictment on your truck. It is just a look at the numbers you are dealing with. That unloaded 3000 lbs pin weight will only go up once loaded. With a cargo capacity of 4000 lbs with 20% of that going to the pin, that's potentially an additional 800 lbs of pin weight. That's a s=!t load of weight right there.

No one's trying to be mean or doubting your abilities. You are new on the forum (welcome, glad you're here) and we don't know if you've even had a camper before. Knowing the guys who have responded, they are good guys with nothing but your best interests in mind. If they raise concerns, it's because they care, that's all.

roadglide
11-06-2017, 09:11 PM
Well I'm pulling 311 impact with 2500 duramax, I have had it on cat scale 3 times with quad, Harley and full water and fuel, dump the water I'm 60 lbs under max loading the garage makes difference loaded . I up graded rims tires and air bags the exhaust brakes on Chevy is excellent the truck brakes are over half 75 k and towing mostly. I'm comfortable if you get into accident your fault there's trouble. I spent 2 months in California visiting the national parks I felt comfortable. Your truck is probably good with 12k gvw .

xrated
11-06-2017, 10:42 PM
Well I'm pulling 311 impact with 2500 duramax, I have had it on cat scale 3 times with quad, Harley and full water and fuel, dump the water I'm 60 lbs under max loading the garage makes difference loaded . I up graded rims tires and air bags the exhaust brakes on Chevy is excellent the truck brakes are over half 75 k and towing mostly. I'm comfortable if you get into accident your fault there's trouble. I spent 2 months in California visiting the national parks I felt comfortable. Your truck is probably good with 12k gvw .

If you are referring to the trailer as 12K GVW, it's not! The trailer GVWR is right at 17K. And no matter how you slice it, the F250 is simply not enough truck for a trailer the size of the one he's looking at.

notanlines
11-07-2017, 03:01 AM
I can't add anything to what has already been said concerning GVW, 3/4 ton trucks and max payloads. But most members here know I'm a big proponent of the CAT Scales. And most will remember my post concerning loading the garage with the Roadking and sidecar. Almost four years ago, when we bought our Raptor, I weighed the rig at the CAT Scale, unloaded JUST the bike and sidecar (1,060#) and immediately reweighed. The difference in the pin weight was 75 pounds if I remember correctly. Do NOT go through life thinking that you can load up your garage and it will lighten your pin weight significantly. Ain't gonna happen! CrazyCain, I'm having popcorn for breakfast! :popcorn:

Tinner12002
11-07-2017, 03:35 AM
I can't add anything to what has already been said concerning GVW, 3/4 ton trucks and max payloads. But most members here know I'm a big proponent of the CAT Scales. And most will remember my post concerning loading the garage with the Roadking and sidecar. Almost four years ago, when we bought our Raptor, I weighed the rig at the CAT Scale, unloaded JUST the bike and sidecar (1,060#) and immediately reweighed. The difference in the pin weight was 75 pounds if I remember correctly. Do NOT go through life thinking that you can load up your garage and it will lighten your pin weight significantly. Ain't gonna happen! CrazyCain, I'm having popcorn for breakfast! :popcorn:

I thought if I loaded both bikes in ours with a combined weight of about 1700lbs, I would, because of using the axles for leverage, be able to take about 2500lbs off of my pin weight....but now darn, I'm going to have to rethink all this...Lol!

Racebug
11-07-2017, 05:35 AM
I load my 3000 lbs race car in the back of mine and it takes 300+ lbs off the pin. Whats wrong with that??

xrated
11-07-2017, 05:52 AM
I load my 3000 lbs race car in the back of mine and it takes 300+ lbs off the pin. Whats wrong with that??

Absolutely nothing, as long as the T.H. is capable of carrying that much weight....BUT, you're not towing your trailer with a 3/4Ton truck either, which is the point that I made very early on.

SXSRider
11-07-2017, 06:26 AM
From everything I have read (a lot) on various RV forums nobody is getting citations for being over the payload numbers only axle and tire ratings. I do not intend to exceed these nor do I plan fully load the trailer. I will not exceed the GCWR. I am currently looking at my options and may go with something smaller. Look around a ton of guys are towing toyhauler s wth 3/4 tons yet how many stories of horrify crashes do you hear? Way more front wheel blow outs on MHs that 5th wheel incidents. Yeah you gain stability with a dually but a SWR 1 T can easily be replicated with a 3/4T.

JRTJH
11-07-2017, 07:34 AM
But, but, Momma, Billy did it too !!!!! Yup, that makes it legitimate to all who hear it !!!

From your reading, "nobody is getting citations for being over the payload numbers".... From my reading, less than 1% of drunk drivers get caught and receive citations.... That doesn't make drunk driving "OK" because most don't get caught nor does it make overloaded towing any more "legitimate" because you "probably won't get caught".

Do what you will (this site and the comments here won't change your mind) but realize that any "hungry lawyer" will castrate you at the first opportunity, so enter into overloaded towing with your eyes open, not "shadowed by the romance sold by an RV salesman, of making do with what you've got"....... If you can't afford to buy the proper equipment, do you really have the assets to play the odds of losing? And, if you can afford the proper equipment, why would you compromise by using "less than adequate" equipment??? :popcorn:

xrated
11-07-2017, 07:38 AM
Not to be argumentative, but there are some other differences between the F250 and the F350 besides the springs. Axle spline size is bigger, and a couple of other things I can't remember off the top of my head. Just curious, what does the yellow/white payload sticker on your door post say for payload capacity?

ctbruce
11-07-2017, 08:16 AM
From everything I have read (a lot) on various RV forums nobody is getting citations for being over the payload numbers only axle and tire ratings. I do not intend to exceed these nor do I plan fully load the trailer. I will not exceed the GCWR. I am currently looking at my options and may go with something smaller. Look around a ton of guys are towing toyhauler s wth 3/4 tons yet how many stories of horrify crashes do you hear? Way more front wheel blow outs on MHs that 5th wheel incidents. Yeah you gain stability with a dually but a SWR 1 T can easily be replicated with a 3/4T.Get the slider, get the trailer, go have fun and stay safe and out of everyone's way.

You've already made up your mind on what is acceptable to you so it doesn't matter what anyone who disagrees with you says, regardless of the logic presented and certainly not the passion expressed. That is your choice, just like it's other's choice to disagree. That's part of why this is a great and helpful forum.

These discussions always deteriorate into a lot of hurt feelings, so it will be watched closely. Let's keep it civil and try to stay on task by helping with the slider issue. Maybe this thread will be different. Maybe.....

chuckster57
11-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Pullrite super glide is the way to go!

Tinner12002
11-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Not to be argumentative, but there are some other differences between the F250 and the F350 besides the springs. Axle spline size is bigger, and a couple of other things I can't remember off the top of my head. Just curious, what does the yellow/white payload sticker on your door post say for payload capacity?

Can't help to think that the brakes are better on a 1 ton over a 3/4 and possibly the ring and pinion would be a larger diameter on a 1 ton also. My question is, if the OP doesn't already have the truck, why would he spend money on one that wasn't enough truck to handle the 5ver he's liking only to turn around and throw more money at the truck to make it something else when he could just go buy the something else and have the truck he needs?? The ride might be better on the 3/4 ton over the 1 ton but only until he makes the required upgrades. So whats the point?? Just thinking outloud.

kfxgreenie
11-07-2017, 12:01 PM
You don't need no stinkin slider or heavy hitch to take away from your "payload"

https://andersenhitches.com/Products/3220--aluminum-ultimate-5th-wheel-connection-2-gooseneck-version.aspx

Uh-oh now I dun it. Added the 2nd most controversial subject beyond the 3/4 ton "payload" (the first most controversial subject) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Racebug
11-07-2017, 12:28 PM
You don't need no stinkin slider or heavy hitch to take away from your "payload"

https://andersenhitches.com/Products/3220--aluminum-ultimate-5th-wheel-connection-2-gooseneck-version.aspx

Uh-oh now I dun it. Added the 2nd most controversial subject beyond the 3/4 ton "payload" (the first most controversial subject) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::popcorn:

SXSRider
11-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Damn you read my mind - I want an Andersen and that's what I will buy if I can determine I don't need a slider.

ctbruce
11-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Me, giving my 2 cents....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171107/2fbc7129482ce6c390d16b519b0b4e4f.jpg

SXSRider
11-07-2017, 01:01 PM
so what is wrong with an Andersen?

xrated
11-07-2017, 04:31 PM
so what is wrong with an Andersen?

I have no feeling one way or the other, as my TH is a tow behind 34 1/2' unit, but there is an ongoing thread over on the Ford Enthusiast Forum that contains a letter from Keystone that says that they will not warranty any claims on frame issues if you are using the Anderson 5ver hitch. I honestly don't know, as I've never really bothered to read into the thread very far. In an effort to no post a link to another forum, PM me if you want the link and you can read the thread. There is also another thread that shows a collapsed Anderson hitch....and again, I don't know the story behind it.

mikz86ta
11-07-2017, 06:02 PM
In reference to the original question :
I would say get a slider to be safe especially when it's a standard bed length. I wanted a 6ft bed HD truck to replace my Ram 1500 quad cab 6ft truck. But the long bed made a better tow rig overall and better for turns. So that's what I got.
And from my short time being a 5er experience, I would have been crazy to maneuver this 5er around with a 6ft bed and no slider. The truck I got came with a L-shaped in-bed fuel transfer tank. Which makes it somewhat act like the bed is shorter. And even though newer 5er coaches brag on the front cap design that makes tight turn radius easier, mine can come uncomfortable close on 90* turns.
Always prepare for the worst case senereo

mikz86ta
11-07-2017, 06:12 PM
And for the debate on truck size :
I wanted a Ram 2500 Cummings. Reasons were the late model Ram I had was a great truck, the Cummings is bulletproof, a 2500 was a decent price range, their ride is easier for a daily driver (truck would need to serve me dual purpose) and they were easier to aquire a late model-low miles-decent option-good priced.
But my 43ft Fuzion FZ420 by itself exceeded any 2500, 250 truck out there. Even if I upgraded the springs, air bags, etc. it would not work for me. Then add 2 motorcycles, gear, 2 30gal fuel tanks, us, water, etc... we were beyond safe.
The the Sierra 3500 DRW Duramax looks comfortable pulling it, I assure you it very close to even it's limit. I feel like a snail going from a dead stop but I don't try to abuse my equipment either. Stopping is no problem, but once the weight shifts on that MorRyde slider pinbox mechanism, you really feel the 420 pushing the truck.

chuckster57
11-07-2017, 06:53 PM
I have no feeling one way or the other, as my TH is a tow behind 34 1/2' unit, but there is an ongoing thread over on the Ford Enthusiast Forum that contains a letter from Keystone that says that they will not warranty any claims on frame issues if you are using the Anderson 5ver hitch. I honestly don't know, as I've never really bothered to read into the thread very far. In an effort to no post a link to another forum, PM me if you want the link and you can read the thread. There is also another thread that shows a collapsed Anderson hitch....and again, I don't know the story behind it.

It’s not Keystone, but Lippert that won’t honor any frame issues using the Anderson hitch. This has been discussed too many times to count.

Anderson does say they offer a high dollar amount to cover frame damage in the event that Lippert denies warranty claim based on the use of their hitch.

CWSWine
11-08-2017, 03:47 PM

You need to take another look at 2017 F250 / F350. They use difference springs and in some cases difference transmissions and quite few other parts also....

rhagfo
11-08-2017, 06:18 PM

Did you get the answer to your question about using/need of a slider with your standard bed Ford HD TV?

2014301ktmhauler
11-08-2017, 06:57 PM
On a short bed I would use a slider for peace of mind. I think it backs better when you move the pivot point back. Might be in my head. After a couple of skid marks on my truck cab I got an 8ft bed.
As far as payload goes weigh your truck and check against the combined rear tire capacity. That is the main buzz kill on a SRW. Just not many in Daytona during bike week would agree . Lots of 20k 44 footers down there being tugged by SRWs problem free. In my travels Ive seen 50:1 trailer tire / TV tire problems on the roadside.

SXSRider
11-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Thanks for following up. I think so.

jaked
11-08-2017, 07:07 PM
Go with an Anderson hitch. I️ have one with my 5th and short bed and it’s awesome and very light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hookd
02-05-2018, 09:51 PM

Looks like the GVWR police are alive and well in here. I second the Anderson and stay away from the sliders. Way to much weight and pain in the rear. Get your rig and let ER rip tator chip!

dcg9381
02-06-2018, 08:24 AM
Ford Enthusiast Forum that contains a letter from Keystone that says that they will not warranty any claims on frame issues if you are using the Anderson 5ver hitch.

Can you share a link to that post or re-post the letter from Keystone. It seems like such a warranty void would violate Magnuson-Moss and as Thor (Keystone) is the LARGEST RV provider, Anderson might want to weigh in... Anderson + Thor - that's a lot of un-warrantied RVs if it's true.

NM, I missed it:
It’s not Keystone, but Lippert that won’t honor any frame issues using the Anderson hitch. This has been discussed too many times to count.

Anderson does say they offer a high dollar amount to cover frame damage in the event that Lippert denies warranty claim based on the use of their hitch.