PDA

View Full Version : Maxxair OEM Fan/ Hey chuckster57 and/or anyone else

Javi
11-05-2017, 03:37 PM
My Cougar has a Maxxair ceiling fan above the island.. OEM model 4751KS with rain sensor and optional wall control... It also has a standard Maxxair Vent, not the fancy vent...

Anyway... during a rain/wind storm last March the rain sensor decided it'd had a little too much blown mist and turned the fan off and shut the lid.... it ain't never opened since... all it does is pop as the open/close knob rotates......

The fan will run but the lid won't open.. I've even taken the screen off and pushed on the led while it tried to open... I can push it open slightly but it feels spring loaded with a good bit of load..

You ever run into this...

chuckster57
11-05-2017, 03:45 PM
Try pushing/pulling on the manual knob.

Javi
11-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Try pushing/pulling on the manual knob.

Yep tried... no joy... can't find a reset button for the rain sensor on this model..

chuckster57
11-05-2017, 04:01 PM
There isn’t one that I’m aware of. The rain sensor is the two strips shaped like a horseshoe, glued down on the back corner. Maybe it’s still wet?

Javi
11-05-2017, 04:27 PM
I can't believe it would be... the trailer is parked under cover and it is Central Texas with plenty of heat... :D

Guess I'll end up replacing it... gonna put a manual Maxxfan in the head anyway... but was hoping it was something simple that I was missing.. maybe a paper clip in a hole to reset... :D

Will however make sure that any new fans are without a rain sensor...

chuckster57
11-05-2017, 04:29 PM
I will look at the one in the fifth wheel I’m PDI’ing in the morning.

Javi
11-05-2017, 04:34 PM
I will look at the one in the fifth wheel I’m PDI’ing in the morning.

Thanks Chuck...

chuckster57
11-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Not a problem.

chuckster57
11-06-2017, 10:45 AM
Straight from tech support;
1) remove inner “face” check to see if control is blinking.

If it is, disconnect and test fan. If the fan operates then rain sensor is dirty or failed. Clean with Dawn and soft rag.

If that doesn’t work, then you need a new sensor, service kit available. Call
Dometic for P/N.

Javi
11-07-2017, 05:32 AM
Thanks Chuck...

chuckster57
11-07-2017, 06:14 AM
Your welcome. Hope it helps, our warranty clerk sat on the phone for a while, so I wasn’t in his office.

chuckster57
11-09-2017, 12:59 PM
Just did a rain sensor on a Momentum fifthwheel. We got it wet to test it and the vent wouldn’t open back up. Hand cranked the lid, dried the sensor and all good.

If you haven’t got it fixed the P/N:

10-40007K

the sodfather
11-09-2017, 01:44 PM
That will be $75....

Javi
11-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Just did a rain sensor on a Momentum fifthwheel. We got it wet to test it and the vent wouldn’t open back up. Hand cranked the lid, dried the sensor and all good.

If you haven’t got it fixed the P/N:

10-40007KThanks.

Javi

Dave W
11-10-2017, 05:55 AM
I picked up late on this thread -

We had the same problem. There is a gear(controller) that opens the lid. They have a history of failure which the manufacturer is well aware of and is more then happy to take your money(~20 bucks). This part is probably 10-20281K-1AF but have your serial number and model number ready when you call just to be sure. The repair takes about 30 minutes with the good instruction sheet supplied

Javi
11-18-2017, 09:55 AM
I picked up late on this thread -

We had the same problem. There is a gear(controller) that opens the lid. They have a history of failure which the manufacturer is well aware of and is more then happy to take your money(~20 bucks). This part is probably 10-20281K-1AF but have your serial number and model number ready when you call just to be sure. The repair takes about 30 minutes with the good instruction sheet supplied

Finally got around to fooling with the fan today.... it is in the drive although I'm not sure it is a bad gear... the clunking noise I've heard is the drive mechanism jumping up and down as it tries to lift the lid...

I did get the lid open pushing up on it with a broom handle, but turning the handle has no effect on the mechanism at all... it turns freely by hand, but it also turns in either with the drive motor..

Guess it's time to get the serial number and give them a call, or just replace it with a better one since I'm putting one in the bath to replace that joke of a fan that the manufacturers install...

Dave W
11-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Finally got around to fooling with the fan today.... it is in the drive although I'm not sure it is a bad gear... the clunking noise I've heard is the drive mechanism jumping up and down as it tries to lift the lid...

I did get the lid open pushing up on it with a broom handle, but turning the handle has no effect on the mechanism at all... it turns freely by hand, but it also turns in either with the drive motor..

Guess it's time to get the serial number and give them a call, or just replace it with a better one since I'm putting one in the bath to replace that joke of a fan that the manufacturers install...

When you pull it out, take the operator apart. You will most likely find one or two gear teeth sheared off. If you push up on the lid, you push the gears past the broken area and it will continue to open via the wall touch pad.

I would be happier if these fans worked both ways and considered a change out but the wall mounted touch pad was kind of a deterrent as I don't have a wiring diagram nor does the Airxcel/Maxxair web site

Javi
11-18-2017, 10:48 AM
When you pull it out, take the operator apart. You will most likely find one or two gear teeth sheared off. If you push up on the lid, you push the gears past the broken area and it will continue to open via the wall touch pad.

I would be happier if these fans worked both ways and considered a change out but the wall mounted touch pad was kind of a deterrent as I don't have a wiring diagram nor does the Airxcel/Maxxair web site

From the installation instructions it is a data cable, so probably you just need to swap out the fan and wall mounted control..

https://www.airxcel.com/docs/default-source/maxxair/maxxair-4-5-6-key-wall-control-installation-and-operation-manual.pdf?sfvrsn=8

I'd be interested in that as well...

rhagfo
11-18-2017, 03:01 PM
Navi, why not just get vent covers so you don’t need to worry about rain?

Javi
11-18-2017, 03:07 PM
Navi, why not just get vent covers so you don’t need to worry about rain?

I have the MaxxAir Vent Covers, I had them installed as part of the purchase before taking delivery of the trailer 3 years ago...:D

I don't want or need the rain sensor, however it was part of the OEM fan as installed at the factory...

The one I'll install in the bath WILL NOT have a rain sensor :whistling:

Javi
11-23-2017, 09:00 AM
Update...

I talked to the Maxxair folks Monday and got some good information about the OEM fan in my trailer...

First.... just unplug the rain sensor... :bow: :bow:(tx)

Yep... they is good folks... Even though my fan is more than a year out of warranty they sent me a new 10-20281K-1AF Operator Mechanism, Automatic Lift.... free of charge.... I just wanted the information and part number I needed to order.... but they wouldn't allow me to order it.. said it was their pleasure...

I can't help but like a company like that... old school..

Dave W
11-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Update...

I talked to the Maxxair folks Monday and got some good information about the OEM fan in my trailer...

First.... just unplug the rain sensor... :bow: :bow:(tx)

Yep... they is good folks... Even though my fan is more than a year out of warranty they sent me a new 10-20281K-1AF Operator Mechanism, Automatic Lift.... free of charge.... I just wanted the information and part number I needed to order.... but they wouldn't allow me to order it.. said it was their pleasure...

I can't help but like a company like that... old school..

Dang, next time I need another lid operator, I'll let you turn your charm on and save another twenty bucks --- or maybe they have gotten lots more failure calls and got 'religion'.....:ermm:

chuckster57
11-23-2017, 10:21 AM
Excellent! I love stories like that.