PDA

View Full Version : Where there's smoke...

BIG KAHUNA
11-05-2017, 06:20 AM
So my next newbie question is how many fire extinguishers does everyone carry in addition to the infamous white First Alert found at their RV's front door? And moreover how good is that extinguisher?

earlzach
11-05-2017, 06:26 AM
So my next newbie question is how many fire extinguishers does everyone carry in addition to the infamous white First Alert found at their RV's front door? And moreover how good is that extinguisher?

Let me be a killjoy to anyone who wants to SAVE their trailer.

Over the years in maintenance one thing we have always told employees is get to safety. NO inexperienced person should try to fight a fire.

That being said, I cant answer for how good the extinguisher next to the door actually is, but its soul purpose is to get your family out and safe. Many many people are injured trying to fight fires with no thought process or knowledge.
If you wish to have a secondary extinguisher more local to the rear bunks to get people to the door then do so. But don't buy them with intent to save the day!! You cant carry enough in bad cases. Let the insurance figure it out while you all live healthy to camp another day!! Just my 2 cents.

chuckster57
11-05-2017, 06:27 AM
It’s the only one I carry because in reality, if your RV catches fire, if you can’t get it out within SECONDS, it’s not going to stop.
I have always felt it better to grab what’s valuable (other half,kids/pets) and get out. JMO

Need to read the label and see which type of fire it’s rated for BEFORE you need it.

cardinal96ss
11-05-2017, 06:30 AM
One in the kitchen, one in the bedroom and one in the truck. Don't know how good the First Alert one is cause "thank God" I haven't needed to try it.

BIG KAHUNA
11-05-2017, 06:34 AM
I couldn't agree more with the concept of getting out of the RV that's on fire rather than trying to contain the blaze. The emphasis of my question was to insure everyone escapes and let the insurance company deal with the loss. It is my understanding that once there is a fire in an RV it's pretty much a done deal.

earlzach
11-05-2017, 06:48 AM
I couldn't agree more with the concept of getting out of the RV that's on fire rather than trying to contain the blaze. The emphasis of my question was to insure everyone escapes and let the insurance company deal with the loss. It is my understanding that once there is a fire in an RV it's pretty much a done deal.

Yea, a real perspective is a trailer typically take 3 to 7 minute for full inferno. You don't want to be near it!! Save the family, tell the story!!

xrated
11-05-2017, 06:56 AM
And, depending on the trailer or Toy Hauler, you most likely have more than enough explosive gasses onboard to make one heck of an explosion. On mine, and many of the Toy Haulers, you not only have the two 30 lb propane tanks up front, but also a 30 gallon or more gasoline fuel tank in the rear. That's enough explosive power that you need to get out quickly and get some distance between you and the fire bomb.

earlzach
11-05-2017, 06:58 AM
And, depending on the trailer or Toy Hauler, you most likely have more than enough explosive gasses onboard to make one heck of an explosion. On mine, and many of the Toy Haulers, you not only have the two 30 lb propane tanks up front, but also a 30 gallon or more gasoline fuel tank in the rear. That's enough explosive power that you need to get out quickly and get some distance between you and the fire bomb.You bring up a forgotten rule, my exit plan is my truck meets are right by the door. No need in losing both TT and TV.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

bsmith0404
11-05-2017, 06:58 AM
Just the one, if it catches fire I will have a 4 step process....1- get everyone out and safe, 2- call 911, 3- call insurance company, 4- go shopping for a new RV.

chuckster57
11-05-2017, 07:03 AM
When I do my walkthroughs, I point out the location of the extinguisher, but I also tell them to GET OUT!
DW Had the misfortune of watching a big Class A go up. It was on the other side of the highway, she said it was just starting and by the time she got the car stopped it was a huge fireball.

As we approach winter, some of us use supplemental heat in our units. Be sure your not overloading the circuit your plugging into, and test the “tip over” feature if it has one BEFORE you take it with you. Since we travel with a cat we use oil filled radiator type.

NorskeBob
11-05-2017, 08:26 AM
Only have the one. Always best to leave the fire fighting to the experts.

I used a RV extinguisher once - help a guy put our a "small" engine fire in a truck along I-90 in NYS. Emptied the extinguisher and then got out of the way as more help arrived. Did not burn the truck to the ground but it had to be towed off the thruway.

ken56
11-05-2017, 09:24 AM
A fire in your trailer OR your home is not to be trifled with. As the PSA's say, HAVE A PLAN, GET OUT. With some trailers having the bunks in the back and main bedroom in front people need to be sure that the kids know how to get out.....without delay. Having an extinguisher in each bedroom MIGHT be able to buy some time to get out.....but don't bet on it. The toxic fumes generated in a fire will overtake you before any flames would. Get out as fast as you can.

notanlines
11-05-2017, 09:38 AM
After being in the industrial paint/sand blast business for more than 30 years, all our safety meetings have taught me one thing: Every single one of you is correct. A fire extinguisher "may" be satisfactory for a grease fire on the stove, but simply no more than that. Brent said it most succinctly when he mentioned the four steps. Many thanks to Big Kahuna for bringing this subject to the forefront and to the rest of you for your comments.

busterbrown
11-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Reminds me of a news story I came across earlier in the year. I can only imagine the amount of LPG in the adjacent tank. Talk about gutsy!

http://ktla.com/2017/04/20/man-attempts-to-extinguish-dangerous-rv-fire-close-to-propane-tank-in-sun-valley/

xrated
11-05-2017, 01:13 PM
You bring up a forgotten rule, my exit plan is my truck meets are right by the door. No need in losing both TT and TV.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I put up a key hook/small box right by the front entry door. The truck keys, the RV keys, my motorcycle key, and my pit bike key all hang there on separate hooks; that way I know exactly where they are....unless I'm using them. The little box is for a couple of flashlights, a notepad, and a few pens for writing.

mets721
11-05-2017, 05:42 PM
FYI, many RV’s come with KIDDE fire extinguishers. They have a major recall in progress that includes fire extinguishers that come with our RV’s. See the link here for more information: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and

TomD1
11-05-2017, 06:05 PM
I have always looked at fire extinguishers and the use of them as to where they are located. Since the first aid extinguisher is located in the kitchen then the main use would be grease fires etc. I always carry a larger extinguisher in my cars and truck. I have always been taught as a volunteer fireman that the small extinguishers are only put out small fires and to slow down the fire so persons can get out safely.

gearhead
11-05-2017, 06:36 PM
I had to "qualify" annually with fire extinguishers, Scott air packs and monthly written tests.
I don't want no stinking Kidde extinguisher.
I got insurance, and Gap insurance too.
Burn on.

chuckster57
11-05-2017, 07:00 PM
As long as my cat gets out with me, it can all burn....oh yeah almost forgot, and the DW.

Pmedic4
11-05-2017, 08:34 PM
Never had a RV fire, but responded on several mobile home fires. Best part of mobile mansion fires is, they are really easy to cut apart with a K-saw to get to the fire. I would say RV's are the same or even worse. Sure there would of had to be someone trapped to even consider entering one burning.

I can't imagine a 2 pound extinguisher accomplishing much once it gets in the wall. Emptied many 20 pound dry chem ones on fires, but only until we could get water on it.

Not worth it, stay safe!

Dave W
11-06-2017, 06:24 AM
We have several fire extinguishers in our 5er but the one just onside the door is a replacement for that tiny POS that Keystone supplied. That one is strictly for any stove/cooking fire. The first defense for any other fire is to is GET OUT. as we have an excellent insurance policy. I have a couple more, one on each side of the basement compartment and those are for any possible en route bearing or tire fire. Or any vehicle fire, mine or someone else that may be in trouble.

You say get out - can you in the case of a fire get out the main entry door or do you need to use the escape windows? Will it open fairly easily? Far enough for you? Can you physically get to that 'hatch'? Our bed room escape window means we need to climb over a 4 drawer dresser and we are both fit enough to do that climb. Others we have seen in an RV .... ???? As Chuckster said, the cat/dog and of course the DW are the first priorities. That RV - it's only an inanimate thing that can be easily replaced