PDA

View Full Version : Impact 303 Water Leak....

xrated
11-05-2017, 04:37 AM
Last weekend, while camping out for 4 days with my wife an my daughter and son-in-law at Raccoon Mountain in Chattanooga, we had some pretty hard rain Friday night and some off and on rain on Saturday. I ended up finding a leak on the Toy Hauler. The bedroom closet on the curb side of the T.H. had water dripping and kind of running down the outside wall of the closed. I instantly suspected the seam outside where the roof and the front part of the trailer come together. Yesterday, my plan was to try and find the leak and fix it with some Dicor self-levelling sealer. When I took a measurement, the roof seam/front cap was quite a lot further back on the trailer than where the leak was maybe coming from. So I looked at the outside of the trailer again and there is a yellow marker light almost exactly over where the water was running down inside. They did a very poor job of sealing around the marker light, so that is where I applied the Dicor. While I was at it, I went ahead and did the marker light on the street side also. So next weekend, I guess I'll get the water hose out and see if I got it solved....but I want the Dicor to completely dry of course, so I'll give it some time before wetting/flooding the outside of the trailer. Just something to keep in mind.....a leak may not always be where you think it might be.

chuckster57
11-05-2017, 07:26 AM
Dicor works, but there are better products for sealing clearance lights. ProFlex comes to mind. Did you use butyl tape underneath the base?

xrated
11-05-2017, 01:21 PM
Dicor works, but there are better products for sealing clearance lights. ProFlex comes to mind. Did you use butyl tape underneath the base?

Actually, the base seemed to be "glued" down pretty well under it, and I didn't try to pry the base off of the front of the trailer. One thing I did notice is that they also put a small bead of what appears to be clear silicone on the base, that would make contact with the amber lense when it's installed or popped onto the base. They certainly did a half-*** job with that and between almost no visible sealant on the base, and over half of the silicone missing, I'm guessing that this is the point of entry for the water. We'll find out next weekend when I take a garden hose to it and see if it leaks again.

Tbos
11-12-2017, 04:03 PM
I had the same issue with a marker light on my Passport. My guess is the same guy sealed the lights on both our rigs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xrated
11-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Update on water leak.....I had a couple of other minor things to do today to finish winterizing the T.H., and when I got done I broke out the garden hose and a ladder and proceeded to soak down the clearance light that was my suspected leak point. I let the water run on the light for almost 10 minutes and not a drop of water inside. Just to satisfy my curiosity, I then moved the hose to the seam where the front of the trailer meets up with the roof cap and let it run for about 10 minutes. Same story, not a drop of water inside. So now, I've got the trailer backed in partially under the carport, with the front of it still exposed to the rain that is forecast for later this week. So, hopefully the leak issue is solved, but this coming weekend will be a better test. Keeping my fingers crossed for dry!

chuckster57
11-12-2017, 06:14 PM
Sounds like you got it.

xrated
11-19-2017, 04:25 AM
Well, we got our rain last evening/night....pretty heavy at times and lasted about 2+ hours. The T.H. was parked so that the front area was not under the carport that I have, so the problem area was fully exposed to the downpour. I checked it late last night, after the rain had stopped and there wasn't a single drop inside the closet where the leak had previously been. So I hopefully can put this one behind me and call it a day. Whew!

Tinner12002
11-19-2017, 04:31 AM
Good deal!!

ctbruce
11-19-2017, 05:45 AM
Glad to hear it all worked out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

xrated
11-19-2017, 06:30 AM
Yea, I'm pretty relieved for sure.....Thanks guys.......and have a great Thanksgiving week/weekend.

chuckster57
11-19-2017, 06:50 AM
Good deal! Enjoy thanksgiving.

xrated
11-19-2017, 07:46 AM
You too Chuckster!

chuckster57
11-19-2017, 08:06 AM
I will try. On the hook for 2 pies and stuffing...I love to bake :D

PARAPTOR
11-19-2017, 08:27 AM
I will try. On the hook for 2 pies and stuffing...I love to bake :D

Do you ship :D Happy Thanksgiving !!

chuckster57
11-19-2017, 08:33 AM
I have shipped my famous Sourdough English Muffins in the past...They are one of my specialties...

xrated
11-19-2017, 09:44 AM
Dang Chuck, you've got quite the resume.......former law enforcement, Registered RV Tech and now.....a 5 Star Chef! :marshmallow: What other secrets are you hiding form us? :bow: