PDA

View Full Version : Badlands National Park

AndyNSarah
11-02-2017, 12:05 PM
We are planning a trip out to the Badlands/Black Hills next summer. Really wanted to stay in the National Park but it looks like you are not allowed to have campfires there, which is a real bummer (but I totally understand). For those that have been there, is the campground inside the park worth staying at?

If not, are there any other campgrounds in the area that are good for kis? We have 3, ages 10, 8 and 6.

notanlines
11-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Andy, you are within driving distance of Rapid City. With kids to entertain I might be inclined to get an RV park in Rapid City and drive out to the park. We have been to the park many times, but I'm afraid the kids would be bored to tears. This is an interesting park to adults, but kids will be looking for more than the park can deliver. Of course YMMV.

bobbecky
11-02-2017, 11:06 PM
We recently spent a few days at the KOA in Rapid City, and it has room and things for the kids to play on. I would recommend this park for families with kids. Also, a must visit, is the Mammoth Dig Site in Hot Springs, well worth a visit.

Tinner12002
11-03-2017, 02:08 AM
Just for your info, the last 2 weeks of July and the first 3 weeks of Aug are pretty busy out there with the Sturgis SD bike rally. The rally is the first week of Aug, 3rd-12th but many bikers like to go up to a couple weeks early or a couple weeks after just to not be around so many other bikes.

Dave W
11-03-2017, 04:17 AM
I fully agree with the others -great place to visit and spend a few days. We were there the end of August and few folks there.

Then there are a few signs like this posted around:

theeyres
11-03-2017, 07:48 PM
Andy, you are within driving distance of Rapid City. With kids to entertain I might be inclined to get an RV park in Rapid City and drive out to the park. We have been to the park many times, but I'm afraid the kids would be bored to tears. This is an interesting park to adults, but kids will be looking for more than the park can deliver. Of course YMMV.

x2 It's not a park for kids. A drive out there from Rapid City for the day would probably do it. I'm not sure you will find any parks in that area--public or private that will allow fires. It's a tender box just waiting for a fire.

instymp
11-04-2017, 02:08 PM
We just made that trip from Asheville, NC last month, but left our 5th wheel at the lake in TN & camped in Hampton Inns. We based in Rapid City & took day trips to all the sites, including Bad Lands. There were many great RV camping grounds all around. We would like all of them better than staying in Bad Lands. Bad Lands is a WONDERFUL & a MUST to visit & see!! SD is a fantastic state & people are the greatest.
Bad Lands, Deadwood, Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park (we were there for the annual Bison roundup, unreal!), Sturgis (Not when Bike week!), Crazy Horse, and don't forget Wall Drugs! Rapid City was a great base, close to everything. Have a ball!