PDA

View Full Version : Rotating tires

LarrySharon
11-01-2017, 08:56 PM
Unable to find this one. Do people rotate tires on TT or 5'vrs?

ozark traveler
11-02-2017, 01:45 AM
I do not. Be sure to balance. Many of the tires blow out before they need to be rotated :nonono:

roadglide
11-02-2017, 06:44 AM
I had the chance to rotate my 14 ply saleen tires but did not wile doing bearing service. there is just a little bit in side wear around 10.000 miles at 100 lbs air. I figured the tires would have to be broken down and turned , rebalanced and then it might help.

Dave W
11-02-2017, 08:20 AM
There is no 'rule' for rotating tires on a towed RV as they are supposed to be loaded equally (:lol:) nor are they engine driven tires. I will usually do it just because I can when I pull wheels to lube bearings, not because I should.

JRTJH
11-02-2017, 08:27 AM
I pull my wheels to repack wheel bearings every spring, so I rotate my tires front to back every year. I do not rotate side to side because I only jack one side at a time. I also use a tread depth gauge to measure tire wear. If I see a significant difference in wear on one edge of the tread or on one side of the trailer, I'd investigate the cause, but so far I've never had to address that condition. I'm not sure what I'd do, probably rotate side to side and check it frequently while towing. If there was any increased wear, I'd have the axle alignment checked.

As above, I do it "just because I'm there and the wheels are off for other reasons"... I don't know of any recommendations or suggestions by any axle manufacturer or RV manufacturer.

ozark traveler
11-02-2017, 09:11 AM
Roadglide, how do you like your Sailun 14 ply tires? I've been thinking that I may get a set of Sailuns before the Trailer King II's that came with our 5-W start blowing out

John

Gegrad
11-02-2017, 11:12 AM
I pull my wheels to repack wheel bearings every spring, so I rotate my tires front to back every year. I do not rotate side to side because I only jack one side at a time.

Side question: Do you not have the EZ lube axles? Or do you just not trust them? Thanks!

JRTJH
11-02-2017, 11:33 AM
Gegrad,

Yes, I have EZ-Lube axles, and until last year I was a proponent of using them. Then I had all four seals leak, destroying our braking capability (while in the Rockies in Wyoming). Needless to say, I no longer anticipate the "easy maintenance" of EZ-Lubes when the "damned difficult maintenance" of replacing hubs, brake assemblies and magnets and spending an entire Saturday getting things ready, making the trip to pick up parts, and cleaning up afterward. That, for me is not the alternative to "fun for the day".....

Here's a couple of threads about EZ-Lube:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22195&highlight=lube

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25475&highlight=lube

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28068&highlight=lube

If I were you, I'd pretend that my axles don't have zerk fittings on each hub and do it the old fashioned way or pay someone to do it for me (depending on your mechanical abilities)...

Gegrad
11-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Gegrad,

Yes, I have EZ-Lube axles, and until last year I was a proponent of using them. Then I had all four seals leak, destroying our braking capability (while in the Rockies in Wyoming). Needless to say, I no longer anticipate the "easy maintenance" of EZ-Lubes when the "damned difficult maintenance" of replacing hubs, brake assemblies and magnets and spending an entire Saturday getting things ready, making the trip to pick up parts, and cleaning up afterward. That, for me is not the alternative to "fun for the day".....

Here's a couple of threads about EZ-Lube:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22195&highlight=lube

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25475&highlight=lube

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28068&highlight=lube

If I were you, I'd pretend that my axles don't have zerk fittings on each hub and do it the old fashioned way or pay someone to do it for me (depending on your mechanical abilities)...

John-
Thanks for the great response. I have always used the EZ lube, following the greasing directions to a T, but will have to reconsider that now. We tow our rig +-3000 miles per year and I have always lubed them yearly.

I am able to pack my own bearings, so doing it is just more of a time suck than "I can't do it". Something I will definitely have to consider now. Much appreciated!

Dave W
11-02-2017, 12:29 PM
.... and when you lube those bearings, check them very carefully as Dexter has gone to the 'far side' and has begun using less then adequate Chinese made bearings. In talking to a new Cougar 5er owner a couple weeks ago, he related how he set an axle assembly on fire when a bearing failed(luckily no damage beyond the axle).

LarrySharon
11-02-2017, 12:43 PM
I never hear of anyone rotating either but on another site (Facebook-RVTIPS page)someone asked the question and was surprise how many people do it. As long as they are looking good I don't see any reason to. So I was checking.

Ken / Claudia
11-03-2017, 08:47 AM
I do the same as in post #5. Does it help? likely not. Does it hurt? No. Main thing is look over the tires and all that other stuff while the wheels are off.

CWtheMan
11-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Tire rotation is a product of the tire industry. Most will add a requirement for it in their tire warranty package.

Sometimes a RV trailer manufacturer may add the requirement in the vehicle owner’s manual.

Otherwise - IMO - a well balanced trailer needs no tire rotation. They all do the same thing.

roadglide
11-04-2017, 05:45 AM
Roadglide, how do you like your Sailun 14 ply tires? I've been thinking that I may get a set of Sailuns before the Trailer King II's that came with our 5-W start blowing out

John I got 235/85 16 there was no trouble with the fit on my impact 311 . I'm more comfortable towing and have 11 k miles the side wear is mimuman . The index load is over 4k lbs each tire , max air pressure is 110 ,I keep at 100 and have never lost air for any one tire. I like the tire seems to keep a good looking appearance, but the tire is heavier 14 ply .

flybouy
11-05-2017, 04:47 AM
There should be no need. On powered vehicles tire rotation is done to even out the wear as the wheels that steer will wear faster than the rear tires i.e. higher stress forces from under or over steer, turning while not rotating ( parking) and typically carry greater weight under the front end (drive train weight). If you find uneven wear on trailer that's not natural and needs to be corrected a.s.a.p.

Desert185
11-05-2017, 05:16 AM
There should be no need. On powered vehicles tire rotation is done to even out the wear as the wheels that steer will wear faster than the rear tires i.e. higher stress forces from under or over steer, turning while not rotating ( parking) and typically carry greater weight under the front end (drive train weight). If you find uneven wear on trailer that's not natural and needs to be corrected a.s.a.p.

The rears on my pickup wear faster than the fronts. The wife’s car (automatic FWD/AWD) has even wear, so I rarely rotate those.

Dave W
11-05-2017, 06:10 AM
The rear tires on any rear wheel drive vehicle I have ever owned have always worn faster. Fronts only if there is an alignment problem. Weight is transferred there on acceleration plus they are always digging for tractio (especially id you are 'gifted' with a heavy right footn.

bsmith0404
11-05-2017, 06:12 AM
The main reason for tire rotation is to maximize tread life for high mileage. I’ve never seen a trailer tire get enough miles on it t wear the tread out before the age limit is reached. As others have stated, I rotate mine front to rear/rear to front when packing bearings, but no specific reason for it other than maybe to change the stressers places on the tires based on the different position.

CWtheMan
11-05-2017, 05:24 PM
I've not mentioned this very much as most readers scoff at it. But, it's factual and is one of the reasons tire configurations in dual service have less load capacity per tire than like sized tires in single fitments.

If you're hauling an RV trailer mostly on state or rural US highways it may be a good idea to every now and then rotate your tires from side to side. The reason? Road crown. The tires on the lower side of the crown carry more weight than the other side.

gearhead
11-05-2017, 06:29 PM
May be my imagination but I seem to have gotten a "scrub axle" effect in the past.
I rotate back to front when repacking bearings.

Tinner12002
11-06-2017, 03:29 AM
I've not mentioned this very much as most readers scoff at it. But, it's factual and is one of the reasons tire configurations in dual service have less load capacity per tire than like sized tires in single fitments.

If you're hauling an RV trailer mostly on state or rural US highways it may be a good idea to every now and then rotate your tires from side to side. The reason? Road crown. The tires on the lower side of the crown carry more weight than the other side.

Never thought about the tire wear, but I do know that the curb side tires usually run about 10 degrees hotter than drivers side indicating something is different there.

SummitPond
11-13-2017, 05:15 PM
Sorry ... I saw this and couldn't resist.

travelin texans
11-13-2017, 07:42 PM
I pack bearings, inspect brakes & suspension annually & rotate tires front to rear right to left, my 5ers street side is about 500lbs heavier than the curbside due all the kitchen on that side + quartz countertops.

flybouy
11-14-2017, 07:02 AM
:lol:I guess if your going to take your rig to a NASCAR track you should rotate from side to side to offset the left turns.:lol:

JRTJH
11-14-2017, 08:02 AM
:D:lol:I guess if your going to take your rig to a NASCAR track you should rotate from side to side to offset the left turns.:lol:

Would going from Michigan to Washington, down through California, east to Florida, then north through Maine and then west back to Michigan would be one "heck of a big NASCAR track ??? Hmmmm I never thought of "long range left turns" as being important. Maybe I ought to reconsider my "same side rotations" further :ermm: Or maybe, "go east" in odd years and "go west" in even years might eliminate the need ???? :whistling:

DISCLAIMER: The above comment made strictly with a humorous tone, no technical or safety related content considered.... Absolutely none: :D

notanlines
11-14-2017, 09:25 AM
What John is saying is "No tires were harmed in the making of this comment."

JRTJH
11-14-2017, 10:46 AM
What John is saying is "No tires were harmed in the making of this comment."

Hopefully the SPCT will see it that way......:hide:

Port List
11-16-2017, 03:53 PM
Don't see a need to rotate trailer tires, have never done so.

TravelingBullet
09-26-2020, 10:57 AM
I have extreme wear on both right side tires with the rear being the worst. Left side tires are wearing great. I'm about to repack my bearings for the first time. Any suggestions if I have an axle issue? Keystone said my tires were wearing fine. They are not. Also does anyone suggest upgrading from a ST205/75D14 (factory wheels and tires) to ST225/75E15. Goodyear Marathons or even better Transeagle ST Radial ST 225/75R15 G 14 Ply and new 15" wheels? I have a Bullet 308BHS