PDA

View Full Version : Bent Axle

bdaniel
10-30-2017, 03:58 AM
About three days ago during a 3 week trip across the country I noticed that both rear tires were wore out on the inside edge of the tread. The traffic side tire was down to the steel belt. This happened fairly quickly as inspection of the tires, springs and hubs is something I do almost daily.

I have weighed my unit in the past loaded as it is now and I was under the 5200 lb limit by 140 lbs per axle. I was not overloaded. Only the rear axle is having problems. The tires on the front axle are fine.

I am going to replace the axle with a 7000lb tube. My research indicates the spindle is the same so I can reuse my hubs and disk brakes. The backing plate should be the same.

Has anyone done this?

I have also found that these axles come in a light duty version (3/16 inch tube steel) and a regular duty version (1/4 inch tube steel). I have no doubt that Keystone uses the light duty version.

I replaced the tire with a cheap tire from WalMart (I run load range E LT tires) and that got me the final 1000 miles home with no problems.

Thanks,
Bobby