PDA

View Full Version : some issues

BCIslander
10-29-2017, 09:23 AM
We just purchased a used 2014 Cougar 212RBSWE. It had been lightly used, but ended up sitting for a year and half as the owner was unable to use it for medical reasons.

We had it out this weekend and discovered an number of things don't work.

The furnace won't light, blower comes on but no heat.
Water heater works on propane but not electric element. The switch for the W/H is either on gas or supplying voltage to the element, so it may have been on with no water around it.
Water pump worked once, but it had no water in it and I suspect it blew a fuse (hopefully) I only ran it a couple of short bursts to see where it was located.

Any thoughts about fixing these items as I like to give it a go where I can.

Thanks

SteveC7010
10-29-2017, 10:00 AM
We just purchased a used 2014 Cougar 212RBSWE. It had been lightly used, but ended up sitting for a year and half as the owner was unable to use it for medical reasons.

We had it out this weekend and discovered an number of things don't work.

The furnace won't light, blower comes on but no heat.
Water heater works on propane but not electric element. The switch for the W/H is either on gas or supplying voltage to the element, so it may have been on with no water around it.
Water pump worked once, but it had no water in it and I suspect it blew a fuse (hopefully) I only ran it a couple of short bursts to see where it was located.

Any thoughts about fixing these items as I like to give it a go where I can.

Thanks
First, the furnace.... If a propane tank was recently changed, it is possible that the section of pipe going to the furnace is full of air instead of propane. So kick up the thermostat and make sure the switch on the thermostat is set to HEAT. These furnaces run a bit of a purge cycle and the blower may run for a minute or two before the burner kicks on. Give it a shot.

Now the water heater.... First, make double sure the entire system including the tank of the water heater is full. After that, there may be a switch somewhere on the backside of the water heater that needs to be flipped. You may need to poke around a bit to find it. On mine, the switch was on top of the little electric box on the back of the heater.

Last, the water pump.. Make sure there is some water in the fresh water tank. Doesn't need to be full, but several gallons at least. If the hose from the tank to the pump is empty, you need enough water in the tank to fully cover the port on the tank. You can't see it in most Keystones, so several gallons to start. Does the pump run at all? If you only ran it for a few seconds and it pumped air, it is not very likely that you blew a fuse. If you ran it for a couple of minutes, it has an overheat sensor built into it. After it cools off, it should run again. So if it still runs, turn it on for 30-45 seconds. It has to pull the water all the way from the tank to the pump so give it a chance to do that.

chuckster57
10-29-2017, 10:03 AM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

Lets try to address the items one thing at a time

Furnace: when you set the thermostat to heat and turn the temp up, the fan starts running. Go outside where the exhaust is and listen for any "clicking", if none then most likely the sail switch has stuck or the igniter is faulty. Having sat for a year and a half, if there wasn't nay screens on the holes paper wasps ( mud dawbers) love to make mud nests on the igniter/burner assembly.

There is an easy way to bench test the furnace, but you have to remove it from the trailer. If your handy I can tell you how to bench test it.

Water heater: the switch at the bottom corner on the outside will allow 120V to the element. The element is located behind that oblong plastic cover. Easy to test for voltage or just make sure the switch is OFF and disconnect the wires. Tet for continuity, if none the element is shot. Takes a 1 1/2" ocket to get it out and then just note the wattage and get another one. There is an O ring to seal it.

water pump: it doesn't run at all? if not then yeah it may have an inline fuse to it, running a water pump without water wont kill it for a few minutes at least. I have run them "dry" for 5 minutes while trying to find them and change the winterizing valve position.

Brentw
10-29-2017, 11:24 AM
I have also had water pumps seize, I expect due to antifreeze drying in the pump. Not rocket science, a bit of mechanical skills can open up and Clean the pump assembly up.

BCIslander
10-29-2017, 08:28 PM
Thanks for all the info, gives me a good place to start looking. The furnace blower ran for about 3 -5 minutes, so I will check to see if the igniter is snapping or not.

Otherwise really pleased with the Cougar

BCIslander
10-30-2017, 07:46 PM
update on issues...
water heater was a rookie mistake, I didn't realize all I had to do was turn the switch on the heater on. that problem solved.

Furnace blower comes on then I can hear the igniter snapping but no joy. So I will leave that to an RV tech,

No inline fuse near the water fuse, so I will check at the fuse panel next.

Otherwise, first night wasn't too bad, had to use the plug in heater, but stayed warm,