PDA

View Full Version : Just saying....

Javi
10-29-2017, 08:37 AM
View from our site for the week. Caprock Canyon Texas State Park. Retirement practice... https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171029/e81d4d62b3813ceb635955c57c7aafff.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171029/4625773da414206fd42c8315831d2c0e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171029/c01205340bc50b99575f48e4391a0f45.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171029/d2631d4358447a7b0b596ba9983599a1.jpg

Javi

chuckster57
10-29-2017, 08:44 AM
Practice makes perfect....looks pretty close to me. :)

notanlines
10-29-2017, 08:58 AM
:I'm not quite as optimistic as Chuckster. I believe you'll need ALOT more practice......every day for a long, long while. As he said; practice makes perfect.

KCSA75
10-29-2017, 09:00 AM
Excellent!

We camped like retirees a couple weeks ago. Work got in the way of two planned vacations earlier this year, so when that project wrapped, I took three days off and headed for the lake. Kind of weird camping on Wednesday and Thursday.

earlzach
10-29-2017, 09:52 AM
View from our site for the week. Caprock Canyon Texas State Park. Retirement practice...

JaviLooks nice.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Javi
10-29-2017, 11:10 AM
Two more. Prairie dog town across the road from us.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171029/5f1f7a614ec91156cc21e0f69b81a30c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171029/fb82657f5f8862589b825a607de8b3a9.jpg

Javi

CaptnJohn
10-29-2017, 12:45 PM
Two more. Prairie dog town across the road from us. Javi

I quit working in early 2003. Rarely hitch up for less than 2 weeks, usually 3 weeks to 3 months before regrouping. When CGs are crowded during June through August I fish the Atlantic where there is a lot of room. One day I'll have it figured out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sourdough
10-29-2017, 03:25 PM
Excellent!

We camped like retirees a couple weeks ago. Work got in the way of two planned vacations earlier this year, so when that project wrapped, I took three days off and headed for the lake. Kind of weird camping on Wednesday and Thursday.

When retirement comes it's different. I had a lady in a store the other day tell me how excited she was that the weekend was here. She then asked me if I didn't love when Friday came. I told her I don't know a Friday, from a Monday, Saturday or any other day. Lifes good...:D

Alpine
10-29-2017, 06:04 PM
I dunno, looks like you got the hang of it to me! You will do just fine when the time comes!

JimQ
10-30-2017, 09:32 AM
Nice pics Javi! I'm getting there soon. (Hopefully next year)

B-O-B'03
10-30-2017, 09:51 AM
Very Nice Javi,

The DW and I took a trip over there, when we were camping in Palo Duro Canyon, will definitely add that to the list, along with Copper Breaks.

Thanks for the post.

-Brian

scottz
11-01-2017, 09:21 PM
Eight weeks till I retire; I've been practicing for several months now.

I've been to the Caprock Canyon area a couple of times; really nice. There used to be a place in Quitaque that served excellent home cooking.

ozark traveler
11-02-2017, 01:52 AM
I should give you a heads up...retirement is hard work. BUT some one has to do it and my wife and I are trying to do our part.

SAABDOCTOR
11-02-2017, 05:26 AM
7 MORE MONTHS TO GO! I CAN TASTE IT:dance::dance:

ctbruce
11-02-2017, 06:02 AM
7 more years....max, maybe earlier. I can feel every minute of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Javi
11-02-2017, 06:15 AM
I think that retirement, like many other things in life is better in practice than in reality... :D

Javi

Javi
11-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Texas State Buffalo heard came through camping area several times while we were there...

Went to the Bob Wills museum in Turkey, Tx about 10 miles from the park...

A couple of photos of the well kept hiking trails..

We WILL be BACK...

sourdough
11-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Thanks Javi. Been all around the place but never stopped there.....it's on my list now. Very nice pics - thanks for sharing.

Desert185
11-05-2017, 04:48 PM
I think that retirement, like many other things in life is better in practice than in reality... :D

Javi

When I retired (force retirement), I wasn’t ready. I got a government contract job doing the same thing when I was forced to retire by the same government. :facepalm:

I have since retired from full time, but still do a bit of part time hobby type work and some volunteering. I am finally THRILLED that I am in retirement. The dog and I just had a nice little nap after a walk and lunch. I highly recommend the reality of it. :thumbsup:

Canonman
11-05-2017, 05:41 PM

Javi

au contraire mon ami. IMHO:
Anticipation only makes the Meal more savory.

notanlines
11-06-2017, 01:58 AM
Javi, listen to what Desert and Canonman are telling you. I'll bet if we took a survey of all members and their SO's on this forum that 80-90% would say that retirement IS all it's cracked up to be. I won't waste "valuable space" on this site waxing philosophical, but when one reads the posts of retired people and those close to retirement I just believe that quitting at a proper time in your life wins out. As John says, YMMV.

CaptnJohn
11-06-2017, 04:59 AM
Javi, listen to what Desert and Canonman are telling you. I'll bet if we took a survey of all members and their SO's on this forum that 80-90% would say that retirement IS all it's cracked up to be. I won't waste "valuable space" on this site waxing philosophical, but when one reads the posts of retired people and those close to retirement I just believe that quitting at a proper time in your life wins out. As John says, YMMV.

I think most of us retired people wonder how we had time for a job as we are so busy enjoying ourselves now .

chuckster57
11-06-2017, 06:09 AM
I think most of us retired people wonder how we had time for a job as we are so busy .

That’s why I went back to work...to get some rest LOL.

sourdough
11-06-2017, 09:22 AM
Javi, I have to agree with the others, with a caveat.....

I began "practicing" retirement fairly early on. Had all kinds of stuff lined up to keep me active if/when I retired and was just waiting for when it "felt" right. Our company decided to merge with another company (one which I disliked quite a bit) so I decided I was going to retire - within a month or two - and I did. I missed one important aspect that I had given no thought; mental preparedness.

I had a workshop, 2 boats etc. etc. etc. to keep me busy when I retired, but, I went from a job that I dearly loved; high pressure, full bore from daylight to dark, to "retirement". The first two weeks were like vacation; 3rd and 4th weeks were like the vacation was getting a little too long.....and after that I just slipped into a funk.....for 2 years. My wife diagnosed me with depression and told me to get my big boy pants on and get on with it; and I did. Now, I'm like the others; I don't have the slightest idea how I had time to work before. We have a blast every day and haven't looked back. So, yes, it is all it's cracked up to be....and more:) - Just make sure you're mentally ready.

Javi
11-11-2017, 06:43 PM
Here's the deal... I love what I do, designing things that folks like... I don't particularly care for my everyday work environment but again I enjoy designing... It isn't stressful for the most part... I do hate being distracted for petty crap (the work environment thingy) but that's just part of the deal... I plan on "working" for at least 2 more years (I'll be 70 then) but may go longer...

I've never NOT worked since I was 8 years old and got a job tearing down motors after school and Saturdays... Well except the 7 months back in 97-98 that I tried to retire and the DW told me to get a job or some place else to live... Well I been doing this design thingy for 20 years next April 1st... Funny thing is that's what I went to school to learn back in '68... just never really used the knowledge :D

Doubt I'll ever retire again, already had a stroke at my desk on a Saturday morning at 5 am... :D Back at work 3 days later...

sourdough
11-11-2017, 07:06 PM
Here's the deal... I love what I do, designing things that folks like... I don't particularly care for my everyday work environment but again I enjoy designing... It isn't stressful for the most part... I do hate being distracted for petty crap (the work environment thingy) but that's just part of the deal... I plan on "working" for at least 2 more years (I'll be 70 then) but may go longer...

I've never NOT worked since I was 8 years old and got a job tearing down motors after school and Saturdays... Well except the 7 months back in 97-98 that I tried to retire and the DW told me to get a job or some place else to live... Well I been doing this design thingy for 20 years next April 1st... Funny thing is that's what I went to school to learn back in '68... just never really used the knowledge :D

Doubt I'll ever retire again, already had a stroke at my desk on a Saturday morning at 5 am... :D Back at work 3 days later...

Thanks Javi. Much like you I started at 12 and never stopped. Got married at 16 and real life kicked in. Loved work and working....always did. Figured I would die hitting the clock. The good Lord looked over us and we did well in life. As I said in the previous post; you have to be prepared to "stop" working or it can be a nightmare. If working till ? is happiness... that's what I would do and smile all the way:flowers: I am very happy the stroke didn't do more harm. I wish you, and everyone else, the very best in the pursuit of "retirement" or whatever one wants to do in their later years:)

chuckster57
11-11-2017, 07:30 PM
Retirement is simply the culmination of years at the same job. I cheated major harm for 25 years (full time) and then part time for another 4 1/2.

I too enjoy my current “job”, best part is walkthroughs, worst part is changing a black tank valve.

Been wrenching on autos for over 40 years, and still at it. When it stops being fun, that’s when it’s time to “retire”.