PDA

View Full Version : Which truck is best

Freebirdusa
06-18-2011, 05:38 AM
I hope I dont get anyone upset with this thread. We all like to believe our vehichle is the best for us. I dont want to insult anyones truck.
My question is between only these 2 trucks which one would be better for pulling a camper?
Dodge 2500 diesel
Ford F-250 diesel

gkainz
06-18-2011, 06:05 AM
pulling a camper? what kind of camper?

Seriously tho, between the 2 - if you're talking new, I really don't know. I grew up in an All Ford, Only Ford construction company with a dozen or more Ford trucks. So, I drove Fords and only Fords. I had great luck with my '85 F-250 6.9l diesel and 9.6 truck camper.

My current truck is a Dodge (which probably caused my grandfather and father to both come back and haunt me), but only because that's the only truck I could get a Cummins in, and it's a '97 because I wanted the 12 valve model.

My opinion (worth the price you pay here) is that Ford has a much nicer interior, and Dodge, with the Cummins, has a better engine. However, this opinion is not based on driving either of these trucks in anything newer than mid-90s. I have not stepped foot on a dealership lot in quite a while.

Freebirdusa
06-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Yes Im talking about new. The camper is a Keystone sprinter 26 ft. But I may pull other things from time to time a little heavier

Bob Landry
06-18-2011, 06:38 AM
Here we go again. I better go put on a batch of popcorn for this one.:rolleyes:

hankaye
06-18-2011, 06:46 AM
Howdy All;

Bob, save me a seat ... I'll go fire up the microwave...

hankaye

jerseyphil
06-18-2011, 07:35 AM
I hope I dont get anyone upset with this thread. We all like to believe our vehichle is the best for us. I dont want to insult anyones truck.
My question is between only these 2 trucks which one would be better for pulling a camper?
Dodge 2500 diesel
Ford F-250 diesel

Some people are devout Ford fans and some devout Dodge (RAM) fans. And lets not forget the Chevrolet people. We're talking 3/4 ton trucks. I have the 2011 F-250 and it has been excellent, but, I don't think you'd go wrong with any of the 3 American manufacturers. They're all excellent vehicles.

hankpage
06-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Dodge 2500 diesel
Ford F-250 diesel

They are both great trucks for what you want. It all comes down to personal preference and $$$$$. As you can see I lean towards the Dodge Cummins combo. But (sorry GM guys) the Ford would be my second choice if the price was right(and I have not seen that in recent years). As was said before above ... "I really miss my old 12 valve." Good luck with whatever you decide, Hank

Festus2
06-18-2011, 08:58 AM
I don't think that you will get any of us upset so much as you will not get any agreement!
Ford? Dodge? GM? Take your pick. Each one has its own following and; as was pointed out by jerseyphil, all make excellent towing vehicles. You did not include GM as an option to consider so I am assuming that is out of the equation.
Since you are not likely to get any consensus here, why not test drive both trucks and decide yourself which one you like best?
In the meantime, Bob, pass the popcorn. Could be a long movie.

Paddler
06-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Let's see, the Ford has a new for 2011 "all Ford built" 6.7 L Turbo Diesel, so I'd wait a year or two to let others find the flaws. The Dodge, 6.7 L Cummins Turbo Diesel that does not require Eurea fluid (big +), but the motor is surrounded by a Dodge...tough call. Drive them both then decide.:)

Freebirdusa
06-18-2011, 09:47 AM
I have always been a GM customer. Never owned a Ford or Dodge. I just want to mix it up at stray once to another brand. I have heard that the Dodge has a great transmission. But I really like the way Fords look. I agree, I should be OK with any of the 3 brands. I wish I could get the Dodge and the Ford side by side with the same weight behind them and see which one would make it to the top of a mountain first lol.

hankpage
06-18-2011, 09:58 AM
I have always been a GM customer. Never owned a Ford or Dodge. I just want to mix it up at stray once to another brand. I have heard that the Dodge has a great transmission. But I really like the way Fords look. I agree, I should be OK with any of the 3 brands. I wish I could get the Dodge and the Ford side by side with the same weight behind them and see which one would make it to the top of a mountain first lol.

All three with the same rear will be within a few feet of each other. Fuel mileage, comfort, looks and reliability are more important things to look at. But again it comes down to what YOU like best. They will all pull your trailer like it wasn't there. JM2¢ again, Hank

cumminsdad08
06-18-2011, 10:03 AM
i stand behind my dodge 100 percent. but you should be good with both of them. i think that my dodge has got a little more room in it for the children. and as far as interior, all the new trucks are very comparible for comfort, that is pretty much the selling ponts any more. if i were looking for a new truck, i would stay away from the newer one's. it will be a LONG time before i give in to the 6.7L. i hear that they get worse fuel milage and i am not crazy about all that stuff they got in them. i like to do what i want with my truck and i am about sick of the gov. telling me what i can do to it.

jje1960
06-18-2011, 10:05 AM
The "Beast" and I vote for the Ford. However, being that the "Beast" is referring to our F350 DRW/6.7 Diesel.... we may be a bit one sided in this debate. :)

THedges
06-18-2011, 10:35 AM
How do you not get GM Duramax in this discussion? :)

All kidding aside, I drove a Ford until this year (I was afraid of the new motor) and I don't think you can beat the durability. I have 2 men that work for me that own Dodges and the powertrains are fantastic, the problem is the rest of the truck. Both of these trucks have had several small and not so small things go bad.

Good luck on your decision!

Me.Bikes.Dogs
06-18-2011, 11:10 AM
I drove all of the big 3 when I bought my new truck earlier this year. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I decided on a Dodge 3500 DRW for several reasons:

Not needing to add Diesel Exhaust Fluid (Urea) is big plus. One less fluid and expense. Both the Ford and Chevy require it.
My 3500 has an exhaust brake. Ford and Chevy don't.
The Cummins calls for overhauls at 350,000 miles (100,000 miles more than Ford or GM)
I got a Laramie with the leather interior because I have dogs and I just liked it better than the other two.
Last but certainly not least, it was priced right!

I get a ton of compliments on my RAM which is nice for the ego. ;)

I recently read that Ford and Chevy truck sales have dramatically declined so they are expected to do some promotions later this year. If you can wait, you might want to.

Bob Landry
06-18-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm holding out for Toyota to build a 3/4 ton truck.:D

THedges
06-18-2011, 12:44 PM
My 2011 Silverado has an exhaust brake. That is a feature I would definitely recommend.

cnbhand
06-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Any of the 3 will do the trick if you are buying new. I have a Dodge and bought it only because of the Cummins engine, it is a work horse. If I were to buy today i would consider Chevrolet just because of the Allison transmission. I don't have an air brake on the Dodge, should have gotten one years ago. By the way my truck is a 1998 with 200k, hope to run it another 200k.

Jim W
06-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Hey guys. What is the best truck on the market? The big three do not make it. What would be the best truck is a Ford Cab and suspension, an Allison transmission with a Cummins engine.
Now that would be the best vehicle on the market.
With that being said, I have read reviews were the reviewers have praised all three manufactures and when it come down to cost/price/value, most reviewers are picking the new Ram trucks. They are about $10K less.
Jim W.

Paddler
06-19-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm currently at 91% of my GCVWR with my GMC 2500 4X2 3.73. So today I test drove a 2011 Dodge 3500 6.7L CTD, 4X4 (or should that be 4X6?) . The only dually the dealer had on the lot was a SLT model with the Big Horn package. I was very impressed with the interior, instrumentation and ride of the Dodge. So far very favorable.

The down side came when I started looking over the spec sheet for that truck. Seems it had a 3.73 rear end, same as my truck, so no worries right? Not so, this one ton dually was only rated to tow 13250. One ton less than my SRW GMC 2500.

I realize, now, the Dodge can be ordered with an optional 800lb/ft motor and 4.10 gears to achieve higher towing capacities. I was just suprised that there were so many configuration variables. Two CTD motor choices, 2 rear end choices, 10 GCW Ratings, as well as the normal 4X2 vs 4X4 and cab configuration variables. You really need to know exactly what you are getting before you sign on the dotted line for a Dodge.

cumminsdad08
06-19-2011, 05:20 PM
this is very true with dodge. another reason i found it easier to stick with the 5.9 and get a used one that fits your needs. mine has the 4:10 gears and it pulls like a champ, sucks for fuel on the highways but it will run with a load all day long, with pretty good MPG. i have a big horn, and i am not totally sure what it all includes with the package, but the emblem sure look's cool tho:D. mine is set up very nice, all controls right within arms reach. power everything; seat and peddles. it makes it nice for my wife about 5' 1" to hit the peddles and "see over the hood"(when i let her behind the wheel anyhow). she still don't belive me when i tell her the front end is still there and you will know if it falls off.:p

The Sod Father
06-19-2011, 06:23 PM
One thing that nobody noted was the noise level coming out from under the hood. Not a big deal when you drive with the windows up, but when you go through the drive through window, you will need to turn off the Cummins in the Dodge. The Ford is a lot quieter but does not compare to the Chevy / GM for overall engine quietness.

cumminsdad08
06-19-2011, 06:59 PM
ah ha this is very true. the newer chevy's are very quite, and the cummins still pumps a little louder then the rest. i have noticed that my turbo is still louder in the cab then my chevy is, i don't mind, but some might.

DTJ9610
06-20-2011, 05:53 AM
I'm holding out for Toyota to build a 3/4 ton truck.:D

Amen to that brother!!!

Kunkler
06-20-2011, 06:49 AM
What I have came acrosed. I have not delt with many dodge trucks but have with Ford. The reason I think ford is due to seeing them take punishment. When i was younger I worked for a place called Cooper Farms they deal with turkeys. When they would load them they had to have the truck run all the time with the idel up to between 4500 and 6500 rpms for around an hour stright, and they took it no problem the trucks lasted for at least 6-7 years untill they bought thier new batch of trucks.

I'm not saying dodge won't put up with this abuse but have seen ford first hand. The model they used were the Powerstroke F-350 four door long bed.

mhs4771
06-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Let me add a new twist to your search. If you're looking at new, why not step up to a 1 ton. That way if you decide to upgrade your trailer (never know what the future will bring) you would already have a truck that could haul almost anything out there.

hankaye
06-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Bob Landry, Howdy;

Ya ready for some more pop-corn???

Thought I'd pop-up another bag.....

:D

Hankaye

JRTJH
06-20-2011, 09:22 PM
AWWWWW RIGHTY NOW!!!!

I've watched for 3 pages of responses to the OP's question and NOBODY has the guts to tell him---------

Get the RED ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (That way, when you take it in for oil changes, the dealer will know what color carpet to roll out for you) <wink>

And, FTR, the powerstroke 7.3L diesel (turbo or NA) redlines at 3400 RPM (or right about there) Running it for an hour at 6500 RPM would self destruct most any diesel.

Now, where's my popcorn?????

Kunkler
06-21-2011, 05:27 AM
If that is the case for these trucks, maybe they had them special ordered but what i stated is ture. they are used for farm use in the farm market. I can remember being 17 and setting the limiter to what they told me...

good luck on the search

mhs4771
06-21-2011, 05:29 AM
Maybe Red with Black Racing Strips, to help rev up in that 6500 RPM range
This can go on forever. The OP needs to get a TV big enough to handle their RV safely and maybe their next larger one also.

jje1960
06-21-2011, 03:36 PM
O my... this has been an active thread! Well, the "Beast and I" have been watching this comfortably.... :)

cumminsdad08
06-21-2011, 05:21 PM
well i thought that this was going good, untill the ford guys took over:p (JK GUYS, JK)

Smitty
06-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Not to be bias but I tried a Chev first then test drove a Dodge and did not try the Ford. After test driving the dodge I told the dealership to find me a red one loaded and they sure did, right down to a heated steering wheel. It pulls my fiver like it's not behind me. The Jake brake slows me down great & with the tow haul on it downshifts along with the Jake where I hardly use the brakes. My wife has even commented "is the truck doing that all by itself". I'm happy with my decision. Good luck in your search. One thing for sure, they are all fun to try out!

JRTJH
06-21-2011, 06:33 PM
SEE !!!!! TOLD YA !!!!!!!

Another satisfied "RED TRUCK" owner LOL

I'm still not sure about the black stripes though.... Hmmmmmm

Where's the popcorn ??????? :)

The Sod Father
06-21-2011, 07:03 PM
I saw this on a signature on another board -

"Built Ford tough - without your tax dollars".

Jim W
06-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Hey guys, I have to agree with FORD, that 90% of the FORD trucks built are still on the road today.

This is from a Cummins Dodge guy.
Jim W.

P.S. The other 10% made it home.

hankpage
06-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Hey guys, I have to agree with FORD, that 90% of the FORD trucks built are still on the road today.

This is from a Cummins Dodge guy.
Jim W.

P.S. The other 10% made it home.

Jim, I thought for a moment you were going soft, but you restored my faith. I wish I would have known before this thread that Orville Redinbacker stock would jump so high. I could have made a killing. Time to turn another bag into a bowl.

My apologies to the OP but I think you have figured out by now .... it comes down to a personal preference.

Festus2
06-23-2011, 09:32 PM
It seems that Hankpage in his infinite wisdom has pretty much summed up this lengthy debate. We have gone full circle and perhaps it is now time to say goodnight to "Which truck is better". We can eat only so much popcorn and we haven't even answered the original question. Can we give this topic a rest and move on to the next great debate? Thank you all for your participation. :)

Bob Landry
06-24-2011, 04:24 AM
I'm surpeised that the mods even allow these "best truck" threads to go on past a few posts. Bottom line is, no one is going to change anyone else's opinion. Also, instead of someone asking what WE think he should be driving, he needs to be out test driving trucks, if he's a serious buyer. If he's not a serious buyer, why waste bandwidth when you woudn't waste time at a dealership?

Same with the "Will my truck tow this?" threads. If someone is anticipating a new trailer, he first thing he needs to do is self-education so he understands weights, ratings, capacities, etc. Again, opinions overshadow fact on those threads and we all know what those are like.. JMHO

Me.Bikes.Dogs
06-24-2011, 06:08 AM
The best truck is the one you buy.

Festus2
06-24-2011, 06:20 AM
Ran out of popcorn....... "Which truck is best?" is closed.